Action RPG's don't cut it anyone agree?

Mishimaryu

Banned
not trying to be a fan boy but I own an Xbox and PS2 myself those games with RPG like elements but really action type Kingdowm Hearts, Morrowind, etc I prefer turn based RPGs. Which do you guys prefer?

i prefer turned based too. but on morrowind, that's like the god of what rpgs try to achieve. no world has been deeper than that so far (unless i am missing something). i like the deeper, more creative rpgs, and turn based seem to have that more than the action ones. anyone agree to that?

I prefer action-RPGs, though I've never found one I'd like. Basically, I'd like something where character movement and attacking is handled like OoT/WW, but still has stats for attack power/defense/magic ability/etc. upgradeable by levelling or items. If I have the choice between pressing a single button to to carry out an attack or having to actively move my character around and attack where and when I want I'd rather do the latter. It allows me to immerse myself in the character more than turn-based. So, I don't dislike turn-based by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd rather have direct control over the actions of my character.

Fable will pwn Morrowind...It will be the deepest RPG/
Action RPG ever...well until they start letting people use their engine and then the series will develop into things we could never imagine

I agree to some extent with the op. I never found KH or FF: CC to be as fun as the turn based Final Fantasies. With Kingdom Hearts, though, my problem was with the layout of the levels rather than the battling. I actually found the battling to be quite enjoyable.

I like em!!! But turn based RPG's are better. Kingdon hearts was good and yes yes Fable will be the best of all time. It will be the action RPG ever made and if not damn them all lol

I was thinking the same thing with Zelda but can u consider that an RPG??? U gain no Exp and u dont level up. I think its more of a Action Adventue game but if no others agree i say its a pretty hott action RPG!

Wait for the Y's series to come to the states later this year on the PS2 then the PSP it might chance your mind of what an Action/RPG shoud be

[quote name='pimpinc333']I was thinking the same thing with Zelda but can u consider that an RPG??? U gain no Exp and u dont level up. I think its more of a Action Adventue game but if no others agree i say its a pretty hott action RPG![/quote]

No, you don't consider it an RPG - but an Action RPG, which is the point of discussion. I wouldn't say "Action Adventure" because I think of one thing when I think of "Adventure" and that's "Quest for Glory/Sierra/Lucas Arts/. Example, Shadow of Destiny is an Adventure type of game.

I don't think Zelda can be considered an RPG. It has no stat or experience systems. It's straight action-adventure.

[quote name='jmcc']I don't think Zelda can be considered an RPG. It has no stat or experience systems. It's straight action-adventure.[/quote]

I can't see how it's not.

It's an action game (more refined and slower paced) with RPG elements. Effectively, an Action/RPG.

[quote name='SolinariDotCom'][quote name='jmcc']I don't think Zelda can be considered an RPG. It has no stat or experience systems. It's straight action-adventure.[/quote]

I can't see how it's not.

It's an action game (more refined and slower paced) with RPG elements. Effectively, an Action/RPG.[/quote]

What RPG elements does it have that aren't present in a straight platformer like Ratchet & Clank?

I think you answered your own question. Ratchet and Clank feels, plays, moves, and looks like a Platformer and is irrelevant.

[quote name='SolinariDotCom']I think you answered your own question. Ratchet and Clank feels, plays, moves, and looks like a Platformer and is irrelevant.[/quote]

That's neither here nor there. I asked what features Zelda had that R&C didn't because you wouldn't go labelling R&C an RPG, but you want to do so to Zelda for some reason. Why? What adds the RPG suffix to it?

I love action games like Devil May Cry and Castlevania, and I love RPGs like the Final Fantasy games, but I HATE action RPGs with a passion. The battles are just far too boring for me. The action part is dumbed downed for RPG lovers, and the typical RPG menu-based parts are dumbed down even more so that it fits in with the action.

Unless there's an action RPG out there where the action rivals that of DMC, Onimusha, or even the NES Metroid, I don't want to play anymore action RPGs.

Zelda? No. Kingdom Hearts? No. Dark Cloud? No.

The closest thing to an Action RPG that I like is some of the Castlevania games, but I really doubt that people consider those to be RPGs. (I sure don't.)

I prefer strategy RPGS most of all, but I'd rather play an action RPG than something like Final Fantasy. The reason being that there's no real strategy to the combat in most RPGs, it's just attack attack attack heal, etc. So if a game is going to have a combat system that boring I'd rather it was real time to relieve some of the tedium.

Action, I hate just standing around while the enemy kick's my ass. KOTOR was a cross between the two, and I liked that game.

[quote name='Mishimaryu']not trying to be a fan boy but I own an Xbox and PS2 myself those games with RPG like elements but really action type Kingdowm Hearts, Morrowind, etc I prefer turn based RPGs. Which do you guys prefer?[/quote]

I don't know how any of you who responded were able to decipher what the question was.

Was there a question? I'm still not sure...

I prefer Turn based RPGs, but I dont ignore Action RPGs either. In fact one of my favorite games is Alundra, but I hate Morrowind.

I'm definitely a turn-based fan. If you don't go to the trouble to develop a full real-time battle system (like Dark Cloud 2 or the Tales of Phantasia series), then all you're left with is a menu in real time - like having to navigate Microsoft Excel with a timer. I hate ATB with every bone in my body, so I'd much rather have Phantasy Star IV, Suikoden III, Xenogears, Final Fantasy X, or Dragon Warrior VII than all of the Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, or Final Fantasy X-2 battle systems in the world.

I like them both, KOTOR is the best action RPG out there. I started with turn based RPG's though, and that would have to be my favorite. You can take your time and choose just the right spell or attack to destroy your enemy. ATB RPG's keep you on your toes and don't let you dawdle, so the twitch style gaming comes into play. Really, if the RPG has a good story and is fun to play, it doesn't matter how the battle takes place.

To the people who have mentioned KOTOR: It's not an action RPG at all, it's just cleverly disguised as one.

I do dislike turn based RPG because I think it isn't as active. And When i want to attack, i prefer it to be in action in my own hands with my own defense and controls. Like zelda you got to be good into movement and attack and this doesn't get boring for me. Like most Turn based RPG just stays still and you have to tell it to hit or not, and they hit you back and etc. that just makes me want to sleep. As well I don't like Kotor because it is very, very dull on movements, it just doesn't impress me at all for some reason. Action RPG all the way for me!! I wouldn't have got Kingdom Hearts if it was very similar to Final Fantasy's Turn based games. Thanks God it's Action RPG which makes my purschase great for me.

Generally I prefer turn-based, but lately I have been impressed with turn-based battle systems that include an action element that rewards quick reflexes. Two examples are KOTOR and Mario & Luigi.

Larry

I think a large part of the problem with action/adventure/ RPGs is that they are not. It's pretty trendy for game companies to throw in some sort of leveling up mechanic (be it for the character, their weapons, whatever) in their title and say that they have RPG elements in their game. This misses the whole point of RPGs. It's true that experience point systems and equipment stats have always been a part of RPGs but that can be blamed on pen-and-paper gaming systems (Dungeon and Dragons, etc.), which is where electronic RPGs draw their roots from, but what makes a RPG a RPG is giving the player the chance to PLAY the ROLE of the character. In this regard Morrowind is a fantastic example of and evolution of the genre. It was only a matter of time before the RPG moved from turn-based to real-time combat as soon as technology made it possible. Real-time combat is a more accurate reflection of what combat is; a chaotic and lethal situation where courses of action need to be determined in split-seconds and the "wrong" choice leads to unfortunate consequences. Of course, these are only games after all and realism should have little to no bearing on how we consume the titles that we do. I have a great place in my heart for turn-based RPGs (The Bard's Tale was my first experience with such) but I enjoy what is now called action-RPGs just as much.
To give everyone an idea of how the industry views action/adventure/RPGs take a look at Iron Lore Entertainment's website. I recently applied for a job there and with your resume they wanted a page analysis of Dungeon Siege or Diablo 2. You would be hard pressed to call either one of these RPGs IMO. Sure they are both fantasy based, have equipment management, magic, and a structured story that leads the player through the major narrative arc but where is the roleplaying. Dungeon Siege is a massive upgrade treadmill with the player's only concern being how to get the best equipment so that the creatures can be dealt with in the fastest manner possible. I didn't care what happened to the characters as long as they didn't die because it was such a pain to raise dead and then re-equip the character.
If the game industry should learn anything from the film industry it should be how to emotionally invest the player into the character they are interacting with. Then it wouldn't matter what kind of game it was, be it action, adventure, RPG or any combo there of.

And remember, you vote with your dollars.

I enjoy action rpgs, now I don't know if I like them more than turn based rpgs, but I do enjoy them.

If by chance you figure any of the Zelda games as action rpg's (i don't), then action rpgs wipe the floor with turn based games :)

I've gotten bored with turn-based RPGs, I'd rather play something with a real-time battle system nowadays. The best example of the genre, IMO, is the SNES classic Secret of Mana. Probably one of the only multi-player RPGs too.

I'd prefer turned based RPGs, since those were pretty much all I grew up with. I'll play action RPGs so long as their fun, their just adventure games with stats, and a story.
But my two favorite RPGs ever (Xenogears and Valkyrie Profile) have turned based systems with a bit of action mixed in. I agree that Zelda is not an RPG but rather a great action/adventure series.

bread's done
Back