Activision shafts Fans; cancels Marvel Ultimate Alliance DLC...

[quote name='CaptainJoel']The downloads remain in your purchase history and they can be re-downloaded at any time.[/QUOTE]

The actual content is gone from the marketplace, i think

[quote name='Scorch']The actual content is gone from the marketplace, i think[/QUOTE]

Juggernaut isn't, I just tested re-downloading him to my Elite. The other characters maybe, though.

[quote name='advanced']Although they've been pulled, I believe they're still "up" for the people who've purchased them. I can try in a bit after I back them up if you'd like.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure if Juggs is up then the other characters are still up. It seems like that'd be the case.

Typically- content that is pulled from the online stores still exists in the purchase history. I don't have an xbox, but I seem to recall something about a Gears of War promo item or something.

Now that I think of it, wasn't the deal with that stuff that you could look at someone elses purchase history and sometimes buy things that had been removed from the store or something?

[quote name='nbballard']Typically- content that is pulled from the online stores still exists in the purchase history. I don't have an xbox, but I seem to recall something about a Gears of War promo item or something.

Now that I think of it, wasn't the deal with that stuff that you could look at someone elses purchase history and sometimes buy things that had been removed from the store or something?[/QUOTE]
That usually is the case, but sadly that is not what happens if you try to click the link for Juggernaut. Juggernaut just goes to a "content not found" page.

Hmm, I can understand why they did what they did if they lost the rights, but overall it just seems foolish to split the community. You'd think there would be some kind of a deal to stop crap like this from happening.

Damnit, Activision. I thought I was losing my mind last night looking on PSN for MUA. I kept checking the letter, M view all by games, M. Sigh.

[quote name='OmegaRicochet']Hmm, I can understand why they did what they did if they lost the rights, but overall it just seems foolish to split the community. You'd think there would be some kind of a deal to stop crap like this from happening.[/QUOTE]

What I want to know, but will never find out, did Activision know that they were going to lose this contract? And if they did, why even bother putting out the dlc? Or why not get a long-term ok for this dlc? And why would Marvel let this happen? Marvel could have let them keep this going as a special, seperate deal. Going for a quick buck and screwing people over as usual.

I finally picked up a platnium hits copy of MUA1. It has all the DLC and no one can remove it from the disc. I wish the same for MUA2, or I'll not pick it up at all.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']Yesterday

Me: @One of Swords: With popularity of Marvel games and films lately what are the chances Activision decides to rake more money by bringing Ultimate Alliance DLC's back?

One of Swords: @Me: Just stay tuned for our amazing new Spider-Man game coming this year!

...idiot.[/QUOTE]

If you could link to where I actually said that in a conversation with you, on any medium, I'd appreciate it. Because I would never say something that...idiotic. This "quote" is not a quote of mine that I can ever remember saying, and I'd really like you to either back it up with a link or retract it. Thanks.

Also, I'm not sure how or why giving you guys direct answers with the best info I have makes me a douche. I thought a direct, factual answer was better than a bs answer or no answer at all. I don't like being the bearer of bad news, but the truth is the news isn't always good, and it wasn't here, but it was all I knew. So...explain how being forthright makes me a useless douche?

One key element that I think was lost was that the DLC was not "yanked", but limited from the start -- and the DLC press release that went out (some months before I worked here) did note "and it's only available until the end of 2009." For example, TeamXbox and CinemaBlend both noted it in their news posts the day the DLC went live. (I am a new user so I can't post the links, but if you Google those outlets with "Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 DLC" you'll find them easily.) If you missed that bit or didn't know it was part of the deal from the day it went live, I would check to see if your favorite media outlet actually mentioned that important detail -- and if they didn't, only they can tell you why.

Now, the bigger issue: why was it only available for a short window? My belief is that they figured, better something than nothing at all. In retrospect it sounds like many gamers would have preferred the latter because they felt so burned by it. Yes, the timing was horrendous -- no argument from me there. People got the game for the holidays, went to buy the DLC and it wasn't there. Of course that absolutely sucks, and it's not the first time that a business decision had a downside. Many people took it as a personal affront, but it was just a bad business reality.

Meanwhile, since those questions were asked and answered, things have been moving behind the scenes, and I think there's good (and to me, very unexpected) news about to be announced. And I mean imminently, matter-of-days announced.

I'm sorry everybody's made such harsh personal judgments about me here, but so few of you have spoken to me before. If anybody else has any questions for me, go on ahead and ask directly -- I'm not up on some mountaintop. I see from page one that you know how to reach me when you're angry, but I'm also available for conversations when you're not.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']Activion Statement:
"The Marvel: Ultimate Alliance Downloadable Content was a limited time offer, expiring on December 31, 2009."

However, Activision's statement above was also a lie. [/QUOTE]

I hope you find the sources I suggested in the previous post to see that it was not, in fact, a lie, but a detail that many media outlets simply chose not to report, for reasons that I do not understand.

[quote name='OneOfSwords']
One key element that I think was lost was that the DLC was not "yanked", but limited from the start -- and the DLC press release that went out (some months before I worked here) did note "and it's only available until the end of 2009." For example, TeamXbox and CinemaBlend both noted it in their news posts the day the DLC went live. (I am a new user so I can't post the links, but if you Google those outlets with "Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 DLC" you'll find them easily.) If you missed that bit or didn't know it was part of the deal from the day it went live, I would check to see if your favorite media outlet actually mentioned that important detail -- and if they didn't, only they can tell you why. [/QUOTE]

Maybe I can tell the government that a few days before Christmas is the end of the year so my end of the year bonus actually gets counted towards my 2011 taxes and not my 2010 taxes.

I understand you're in no position of power, but seriously, Acti fucked up here. Had it been removed 1/1/2010, or even 12/31/2009, I wouldn't have a problem with the decision (as it is, I was fortunate enough to purchase it), but knowing that they'd WILLINGLY split the community in the way they did (they didn't even leave up the compatibility pack, possibly because they couldn't legally) for a game that has multi-player is asinine.

[quote name='OneOfSwords']I hope you find the sources I suggested in the previous post to see that it was not, in fact, a lie, but a detail that many media outlets simply chose not to report, for reasons that I do not understand.[/quote]

But you see, it was a lie. The content was removed before 12/31/2009. While you state that it was "only available until the end of 2009", it was removed almost two weeks prior to the date established by the multiple press releases that you stated had listed the expiration date.

Activision Publishing, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) announced today that the greatest Super Hero™ action/RPG team-up just got a super-powered upgrade with Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 downloadable content, now available until December 31, 2009, for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. Players can now experience Marvel’s epic Civil War storyline with five all-new playable characters in their arsenal: Carnage, Psylocke and Cable make their Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 system debuts in the Marvel: Ultimate Alliance series alongside returning fan-favorites Magneto and Black Panther. The downloadable content also includes four new challenge missions, including all-new boss encounters, dangerous gauntlets and more, all downloadable from Xbox LIVE Marketplace for 800 Microsoft Points and from the PlayStation®Store for $9.99. Also joining the dream team will be Juggernaut, now available for download from Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for 160 Microsoft Points and from the PlayStation®Store for $1.99.

The official game demo will also be available to download from Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for free and allows players to play through the Washington, D.C. mission as either a pro-registration or anti-registration team.
Via Team Xbox

Look, the DLC was removed close to two weeks before 12/31. The press release stated it would be available until 12/31. Activision lied. Straight up.

[quote name='advanced']But you see, it was a lie. The content was removed before 12/31/2009. While you state that it was "only available until the end of 2009", it was removed almost two weeks prior to the date established by the multiple press releases that you stated had listed the expiration date.

Look, the DLC was removed close to two weeks before 12/31. The press release stated it would be available until 12/31. Activision lied. Straight up.[/QUOTE]

Or...it could have been a mistake, and not a conspiracy.

I am under the impression (and again, I'm going on what I learned after I started working here, by asking around) that the PS3 DLC went down earlier due to human error, but the 360 DLC was up through the proper time. The mistake was complicated by the holiday itself and people's vacations not being able to fix everything before the deadline. Granted, it's a mistake you had to bear the brunt of (well, Activision too, but I'm not looking for sympathy), but it was apparently just a mistake.

You got screwed because someone else screwed up. That happens sometimes; it's happened to me. All I can say is I'm sorry, I wish it hadn't happened, but it did and life goes on. It does not mean there's a conspiracy to intentionally mislead you, or that people are out to ruin your gaming day.

Not saying you don't have a right to be mad or frustrated at a crappy situation -- just saying it was not a lie, even though you really seem to want it to be.

Thanks for adding the link while I still earn my stripes.

My post disappeared, so if it double posts I'll adjust.

Unless you are going to say where gamers can get the content now, there is not much you can say.

There are several things that caused this:

1. The average gamer won't take the time to read each and every press release, much less read multiple article on the same subject for multiple sites.

2. Press releases don't reach the gamers at GameStop or school yards/dorms/etc (offline).

3. The correct information didn't make it out as far as it was needed. You can blame news sites, gamers, publishers and IP owners. Even magazines failed to mention the limited time aspect.

DLC is to appease fans and make money (broad statement but true). How do you maximize both in this situation? How hard to release another press release saying, "Only x weeks left to get MUA2 DLC." or sticking an ad on the consoles? I know you can do that as I see ads for MW2 on my 360 dash everyday.

Let this be a note of the problem with digital distribution only. After I finished MUA2 I was waiting for a GOLD rerelease like the first.

PS: Welcome to CAG Dan, PM a mod and I'm sure that they can verify and make your account work properly without waiting in probation (and probably tag you in some official way)

Sorry someone called you a douche.... that must have been a blast to see

Last edited by a moderator:
for the record, the DLC will be getting a re-release in a (couple?) week(s), although it'll disappear again at the end of 2010. That'll give you a six month window to download it as opposed to the two month window we had originally.

though to be honest, it's kinda hard to recommend the DLC to anyone that's already beaten the game. the extra characters are nice, but you need a story or something to play through with them, and the extra missions are boring after the first run. it's only really worth it if you haven't beaten the game and/or you want the extra achievements/trophies.

as far as all this "it was included in a press release" stuff goes, I think that's kind of a week excuse. this is the first and only time I've seen anyone able to point out a place that Activision said it'd be a limited time thing...seemingly no one knew it was about to be plucked from online. looking at the MUA2 website, all you see are DLC character reveals...don't remember hearing anything on Marvel.com...and I don't remember the DLC itself mentioning a "going away" date in its description. there could've been a lot more done to inform the masses that the DLC was in fact going away.

[quote name='reddjoey']

Unless you are going to say where gamers can get the content now, there is not much you can say.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Salamando3000']for the record, the DLC will be getting a re-release in a (couple?) week(s), although it'll disappear again at the end of 2010. That'll give you a six month window to download it as opposed to the two month window we had originally.
[/QUOTE]

Careful what you ask for I guess.

Hi VIPs,
I know it’s been a long time since I’ve been on, but I have good news to make up for it! And by the way, I was pretty much traveling (for work, not for fun) the entire months of March and April this year. Then it got really busy with E3 coming up. Can’t believe we are already in June, time really flies.
Fanboy0202 and others - thanks for keeping the faith! When I do have time to pop on, I read this thread, means a lot to me. Since I have a different position than MUA1 days, I don’t have time to read all the threads but that’s what Newslad is for and he keeps me tuned in to the major topics and the big asks from the fans, so I’m looped in through him. And by the way, I had something to do with bringing Newslad back.
So here is the news - and this is part of what was keeping me super busy behind the scenes - we did it! We made our case (your fan support helped), begged, pleaded, cajoled and didn’t give up and were able to convince the ‘powers that be’ to bring MUA2 DLC back!! This is really happening. And you are the FIRST to know.
In terms of timing, now that it’s been approved, we need to coordinate to get this back up on Xbox Live and PSN. I am hoping we can get this up on XBL before the 4th of July but that might be wishful thinking - we are trying. As soon as I know definite timing, I will let you know.
And this is important - I want to make sure this is super clear from the beginning - all good things must come to an end and we are only allowed to have the MUA2 DLC back up through the end of 2010. So there will be about a 6 month window to download the content again, and then it will be gone for good. It’s not a strategy and not our choice, this is just what is allowed so I’m giving you all the advance notice I can.
On other questions… there’s not going to be a Gold Edition, but we are able to get the DLC content back via XBL and PSN. I actually had a Gold Edition cover ready to go with - surprise surprise - Psylocke on the front, maybe I can find a way to post that. It just didn’t get bought into though, simple as that. :whistle2:(
On the survey, that one is my bad. We had one ready to go but just haven’t posted it yet as - like I mentioned before - the game changed with all the new merges here and there, and now there are different things I want to ask as a result. It will still come out but timing is TBD. And it will be focused on a new X-Men RPG… you can still vote for your favorite characters!
Well, that’s it for now! I’m back from all the travels and E3 craziness so I’ll try to be on a bit more in the near future. But remember you have Newslad, I’ll only pop in from time to time. Bringing MUA2 DLC back is major news and I wanted you to hear it first and hear it from me! I hope that lets you know that your voices really are heard.
Kalina

http://www.herohq.com/forums/viewthread/12894/P1320/#828206

[quote name='OneOfSwords']Or...it could have been a mistake, and not a conspiracy.

I am under the impression (and again, I'm going on what I learned after I started working here, by asking around) that the PS3 DLC went down earlier due to human error, but the 360 DLC was up through the proper time. The mistake was complicated by the holiday itself and people's vacations not being able to fix everything before the deadline. Granted, it's a mistake you had to bear the brunt of (well, Activision too, but I'm not looking for sympathy), but it was apparently just a mistake.

You got screwed because someone else screwed up. That happens sometimes; it's happened to me. All I can say is I'm sorry, I wish it hadn't happened, but it did and life goes on. It does not mean there's a conspiracy to intentionally mislead you, or that people are out to ruin your gaming day.

Not saying you don't have a right to be mad or frustrated at a crappy situation -- just saying it was not a lie, even though you really seem to want it to be.

Thanks for adding the link while I still earn my stripes.[/QUOTE]

I never stated that it was a conspiracy or acted as if it was. I stated that Activision lied. If it was human error that caused them to lie, then they still take the blame as they're the ones who put the expiration date on the product, so they should have been the ones to ensure it was removed properly and on time, not earlier. Why list a date for removal that you can't keep? Why wouldn't they think "Hey, this is a busy time of year, maybe we should remove it earlier, or later, so we can make sure that everyone that wants it can get it?"

Activision is still at fault, and while I'm happy to see the situation will be fixed soon, it still is a pretty shitty situation. Thanks for taking the time to respond though.

[quote name='nbballard']Are they going to release a universally required compatability patch? Otherwise, this is still an issue.[/QUOTE]

If they do what they've done in the past with both games, it'll be an optional download on the Marketplace, not a patch or anything.

An optional download until the end of the year- then the audience is split again. I mean- it's not a huge deal. Who is actually going to be playing this game going into 2011? It's just a funny way to handle DLC.

[quote name='Salamando3000']for the record, the DLC will be getting a re-release in a (couple?) week(s), although it'll disappear again at the end of 2010. That'll give you a six month window to download it as opposed to the two month window we had originally.[/QUOTE]

YEA! Happy camper dance!

[quote name='OneOfSwords']Thanks. Into the deep end we go.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum. With all of the bitterness and spite that is housed inside the video game community, I'm not sure how much positivity from this discussion can be squeezed out, but it's worth a shot. Of course, if that was a misquote, or a lie, in the previous twitter convo, you have every right to ask for it to be taken down.

Anyway, it's good to have an industry insider here. We love updates on games and promotions going on, so feel free to share any time. Look forward to hearing more about upcoming projects.

[quote name='nbballard']An optional download until the end of the year- then the audience is split again. I mean- it's not a huge deal. Who is actually going to be playing this game going into 2011? It's just a funny way to handle DLC.[/QUOTE]

I picked up and played MUA1 to completion a few days ago actually and that game came out in what, 2006? Granted, I managed to get a Platinum Hits edition, so I already had the DLC. I could see people having waited to get the game when it was dirt cheap everywhere and not just select sales and stuff.

[quote name='OneOfSwords']Thanks. Into the deep end we go.[/QUOTE]

I sent a tweet to CheapyD to get you all offical rep status and such. Just be prepared as almost the entire CAG community, including myself, hate Activision like the plague.

I feel sorry for you though, as formerly working the internet/phone tech support lines for Charter in St. Louis, I know what it's like to work for someone your community loathes.

[quote name='nbballard']An optional download until the end of the year- then the audience is split again. I mean- it's not a huge deal. Who is actually going to be playing this game going into 2011? It's just a funny way to handle DLC.[/QUOTE]

Multiplayer DLC has kind of a "you're damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of thing going on for it.

If it's an optional "compatibility" patch, you have issues like this...where the moment the patch goes away, your community is split, and people that have the DLC can't really use it.

If it's a mandatory patch and the DLC is an unlock code, then you'll have people complaining about how they have to pay for content that's already on their machine.

Don't think the optional patch is the way to go, but no matter what, there's gonna be someone that's unhappy.

[quote name='Salamando3000']as far as all this "it was included in a press release" stuff goes, I think that's kind of a week excuse..[/QUOTE]

This is where I will strenuously disagree. As s standard, publishers communicate via press releases -- that's where official information comes from. If you want facts, you check the press release. This information was not buried at the end or casually mentioned in an interview that everyone may or may not have seen; it was stated in the first sentence. Impossible to miss if you actually read it, but I suspect people simply didn't read past the headline.

But here's my core area of butthurt: The allegations that Activision "canceled" the content as suggested by this topic's header, "lied" to gamers, or in any way did something underhanded or unfair is simply not accurate. The information was not concealed; it was mishandled by third parties. When I went and did the actual research (with the Googles, in five or ten minutes tops), the evidence was right there.

Now, could Activision have said "Hey, a reminder, your time is running out?" Sure, that would have been nice. Not sure how they would have done that, but this is actually the kind of stuff that I try to keep on top of now -- when something is a limited time offer, like a double XP weekend, a contest giveaway, or a sale like the Blur coupon, I generally remind people that they should be aware of that deadline, whether they plan to act on it or not. But as I've said, I was not around for this; I inherited this situation. So all I can do is try to prevent it from happening in the future.

The whole point of my role at Activision is to be a more direct conduit and get answers for people when stuff like this happens -- or rather, be clear throughout so stuff like this won't happen. Despite what you might assume, I'm not a PR guy, I'm not a spin doctor, and I'm not being told what to say. I'm a 16-year media vet with more editorial freedom than you would probably expect, and I have access to information that I didn't have before. And if I have facts that can help clarify a situation, I'm more likely to speak up.

I know everybody loves to hate on Activision. The company has made some controversial moves lately. They're also crazy successful and people like to root for underdogs. I don't expect to change hearts and minds. I just want things to be clear, and not let personal bias trump provable fact. Other than that, I expect to have a back full of knives.

The reissue of the DLC is a) a new deal brokered between Marvel and Activision and b) by popular demand from very vocal fans. If you're not a very vocal fan, it probably will not affect you, but it's making some gamers very very happy.

nbballard, I will ask about the universal compatbiility patch, because you are right -- that is still an issue. The DLC coming back is step one, but if non-DLC gamers can't play with DLC gamers, there's still a split player base of haves and have nots.

I'd still like the quote that I did not actually say to be proved or removed. The irony that I'm having a discussion about Activision "lying" but can't have someone else's lie about me taken away has not escaped me.

[quote name='advanced']I never stated that it was a conspiracy or acted as if it was. I stated that Activision lied. If it was human error that caused them to lie, then they still take the blame as they're the ones who put the expiration date on the product, so they should have been the ones to ensure it was removed properly and on time, not earlier. Why list a date for removal that you can't keep? Why wouldn't they think "Hey, this is a busy time of year, maybe we should remove it earlier, or later, so we can make sure that everyone that wants it can get it?"

Activision is still at fault, and while I'm happy to see the situation will be fixed soon, it still is a pretty shitty situation. Thanks for taking the time to respond though.[/QUOTE]

It is a shitty situation. Activision is at fault. But Activision did not lie. You are suggesting that Activision willfully misrepresented what it knew to be fact -- and you have not proven anything to support that incorrect claim. You might think this is semantics, but lying is a very emotionally charged thing, and it's simply not something you've been able to show me happened here.

Also -- and I asked because I thought it was something of a simple fix -- apparently, offering DLC is not like flipping a lightswitch. When it went down early on PS3 the process of getting it back up was not a simple one, on a technical level, and it was complicated by the holiday. They had to ride out the storm.

If this were, say, DLC for Blur, or Call of Duty, or some internally owned IP, I think this situation would have been resolved a lot quicker. But the licensed nature of this DLC -- and the fact that the license had since Marvel universe license changed hands to another party, because I know I'm not the only one looking forward to MvC3 -- made it much more complex. There's a hard end date to some contract somewhere? You don't get to change that on the fly. The return of the DLC necessitated a brand-new agreement, and it took a while to do. But I think it was the right thing to do. It is the best apology I think they could offer.

If you want a personal apology, I will gladly offer it -- I am very sorry it happened, and I wish it had not. I am sorry the PS3 gamers had even less time to access the limited content; I can apologize for the mistake. I also wish the agreement could have been extended at least through January (but unfortunately that's not the way contracts work), and I wish the limited nature of the DLC had been reported like the important detail it was before the fact, and not after. I agree that it was a lousy situation on many levels, made worse with each new development, and Activision has rightfully borne the brunt of gamer's anger since it all happened. You are absolutely right to be upset with Activision for this. It's their game, it's their fault. End of story.

But that does not make them liars -- willfully misinforming people of what is known to be the truth -- and you have not offered me any compelling evidence to the contrary. The difference between a mistake and malice is pretty big.

At least you're being real. I'll give you that, and that you're right, Activision didn't lie. The handling of the entire situation wasn't what it should have been though, and I'm glad you agree.

I'm also happy that your post answered what was a second question of mine, in that MUA2 will be the last of the franchise for the near future and that all support, outside of the redistribution of this DLC, for MUA2 will permanently cease.

As far as I know, there are no new MUA games planned. The next big Marvel universe game on the horizon is MvC3.

But I think "support" will go on/servers will be up so people can play online (if there's an expiration date to that, I don't know it, but you know, games like Halo 2 and NBA Live have had their servers turned off after several years), and I am hesitant to say anything will "permanently cease" for the franchise because, hey, several years down the road, you never know. This is the year that MK, NBA Jam, and Twisted Metal are all looking 15 years into the past to make games for 2010 -- who knows what will happen to MUA down the road. But for now? Yeah, MUA2 has no sequel planned.

Yeah, I don't think there is an outright lie here...at worst lies of omissions. I don't think any malice was intentional...but there's a lot of things they could've done to make the expiration date more known...and I'm still not buying the whole press release angle.

For starters, the aforementioned press release isn't even on Activision's website.

http://investor.activision.com/releases.cfm?Year=&ReleasesType=&DisplayPage=5

There's also no mention of the limited time nature of the DLC on the Ultimate Alliance 2 news area (neither directly or through a posting of the press release), neither is there one on the Marvel.com page. No sign on Gamespot or 1up or Kotaku or Joystiq (although it was on IGN)... I also don't remember anything in the DLC description on PSN indicating it's limited nature ( http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/11/05/playstation-store-update-110/ ). Long story short, there's a lot of places this should've been mentioned and it wasn't.

There are two kinds of press releases -- official ones that you see on the investor site and email blasts sent directly to the press. That's why it's on TeamXbox and IGN but not in an archive. But I agree that there are a lot of places this should have been mentioned but wasn't. I think you would have to ask those places.

Also, nb, good news -- sounds like a universal compatibility patch is also on the table, so that would remove the have/have-nots issue. I will find out more as I can.

I'm amazed at the outpouring of people who are keen to give Activision more money for MUA2. I bought it (at launch), and couldn't bring myself to keep playing. This game takes everything that Ravensoft did well in the MUA/XML games and dilutes it. (Wombat just brought this up in the new CAGCast, FWIW.)

Unless the additional characters come with a patch that makes the game feel less paint-by-numbers....I'll go back to hoping that Activision lets Ravensoft go back to making Marvel games again.

[quote name='bjkrautk']I'm amazed at the outpouring of people who are keen to give Activision more money for MUA2. I bought it (at launch), and couldn't bring myself to keep playing. This game takes everything that Ravensoft did well in the MUA/XML games and dilutes it. (Wombat just brought this up in the new CAGCast, FWIW.)

Unless the additional characters come with a patch that makes the game feel less paint-by-numbers....I'll go back to hoping that Activision lets Ravensoft go back to making Marvel games again.[/QUOTE]

The game obviously isn't for you then. :) Personally, I thought it did a decent job of bring that type of game into the next-gen. Great graphics, decent story, tight game play. I thought it was a little bug ridden, but I've never thought my initial investment of $65 + DLC Cost (Been so long I forget what it was). It might not have been as "open" as past installments, but it was a decent to good game in and of itself. Frankly, after completing this game, then going back and playing through MUA1, I found MUA1 to drag on a bit.

Again, you're welcome to your thoughts, and if Ravensoft can learn from what VV did as much as VV did from Ravensoft, I'd love to see them come back and make the next Marvel/X-Men Legends game, which would probably be XL3. Just like the give and take with Treyarch and IW (albeit it one sided), I believe that XL3 could be the best game of both series if they were able to do that.

Dan Amrich seemed to be a pretty cool guy when he worked at OXM, then he became a corporate lapdog spouting such gems as:

“Vince and Jason had very large bonuses; those bonuses are being redistributed to everybody else, to the people who did not allegedly attempt to steal company secrets, Activision is not pocketing that bonus money; it’s still going to the people who work at IW. I’m confused, because by leaving, they are giving up their bonus — and the more people that leave, the bigger the bonus gets for the people who stay.”

Press Secretaries shouldn't make thinly veiled threats to the people they are hoping will stay. Nor should they accuse anyone of illegal activites until proven as fact.

And I thought Major Nelson was pathetic. . .

[quote name='Haggar']Dan Amrich seemed to be a pretty cool guy when he worked at OXM, then he became a corporate lapdog spouting such gems as:

“Vince and Jason had very large bonuses; those bonuses are being redistributed to everybody else, to the people who did not allegedly attempt to steal company secrets, Activision is not pocketing that bonus money; it’s still going to the people who work at IW. I’m confused, because by leaving, they are giving up their bonus — and the more people that leave, the bigger the bonus gets for the people who stay.”

Press Secretaries shouldn't make thinly veiled threats to the people they are hoping will stay. Nor should they accuse anyone of illegal activites until proven as fact.

And I thought Major Nelson was pathetic. . .[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I regret saying that the way I said it. I came back to it after I wrote it and went "oh man, what was I thinking." Also, I could have kept my mouth shut. The lawsuits are out there, and the point I was trying to clarify is in the legal documents -- I should have just said "check page XX, there's something interesting there" and not added my editorial comments. What I said came off as really far more insensitive and dickish than I intended.

That's why I posted an apology the next day, which you can find on oneofswords under the headline "I read the news today, oh boy"

http://oneofswords.com/2010/04/i-read-the-news-today-oh-boy/

I'm sad to see you found a quick source to my original quote but apparently never knew I wrote an immediate apology.

So the DLC is now available again, and so is the free compatibility pack that lets all MUA2 owners play together, whether they have bought the DLC or not. On PS3 it's called a Compatibility Pack, and on 360 it's called a Teaser, and I don't know why. But it is what you need, and it's free on both systems. So nbballard, that fixes the issue you raised.

Any further questions? And further allegations? Any chance of having the lies put under my name be removed, or what? Ratchet & CAG I'm looking at you. Prove it or remove it.

Are the Compatibility/Teaser packs going to stay up after the DLC is removed? If its removed when the DLC is, the community gets split again on 1/1/11.

[quote name='advanced']Are the Compatibility/Teaser packs going to stay up after the DLC is removed? If its removed when the DLC is, the community gets split again on 1/1/11.[/QUOTE]

Far as I know, they're here to stay. They were apparently removed in error. I will double-check and remind people when the end of the year comes, because yeah, that problem should not be allowed to return.

Sweet thanks for the heads up! Just downloaded Juggs and the DLC pack, I'll have to get back to this game to co-op with the wife in the future.

bread's done
Back