Advance Wars: Days of Ruin - General Discussion - Release Date Jan. 21 2008!!!

soccerstud652

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
943675_97001_frontlogo.jpg

Final Cover
943675_97001_front.jpg

CAG DS Friend Codes - Battle CAG's via Wi-Fi:
Code - CAG Username
262117-217945 - cdubthebabyshooter
244938-648181 - El Gray
287887-132217 - GenDV138
335131-837088 - hootie
201987-576233 - KhaosX
244938 872259 - SL4IN
472571-516652 - soccerstud652
051663-661095 - suko_32
481160-858752 - TomCloud9
210577-721648 - Underfoot
094613-349970 - yukine

How about a quick Advance Wars history lesson?
(click links for screenshots)
Advance Wars was the first title and "war" game to come to the America in this Nintendo series. It is a turn based strategy game incorporating fake countries at war on different continents. The game is cartoonish and lighthearted - nothing like Call of Duty. In Japan the "Nintendo Wars" series debuted on the Famicom (our NES) in 1988 and many of those maps are found exactly the same in AW 1. There were several Game Boy releases in Japan as well as a Super Famicom (our SNES) version that introduced fog of war and 4 player multiplayer capabilities. AW1 and 2 incorporated pretty much everything from their Japanese predecessors and have become sleeper hits in doing so. Advance Wars 1 came out for the GBA in 2001 followed by Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising in 2003 - both games received very high ratings (over 9.1 for both at GS). In 2005, Advance Wars Dual Strike (DS) came out for the Nintendo DS combining the previous 2 games graphics and AI with a new battle system - tag team attacks, in which you can attack your foe with two CO Powers in one turn. It also has a new mode in which there is no turn based game play and you can control your vehicles against your opponent in real time.

There has only been one real spin off to Advance Wars, Battalion Wars (originally titled Advance Wars: Under Fire), which debuted on the Gamcube in 2005. It received mixed reviews and is not turn based, but a 3D real time third person shooter. It maintains the lighthearted cartoon war theme as well as a similar ranking system (S-Class, A-Class, B-Class...etc.) to Advance Wars. However, some of the brilliance from AW was lost along the way, and does not have much replay value because there is no multiplayer. Battalion Wars 2 was released for Wii on October 29!

What do we know about Advance Wars: Days of Ruin?
Advance Wars 2 has been officially named "Advance Wars: Days of Ruin" and has a release date of January 21, 2008.

Gamespot Hands On Preview

UPDATE: 11/22 - Nintendo Power Holiday Issue 2007

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
-The main character is Will, after the meteorite hit and killed every one he spent weeks living on only canned bread while digging himself out of rubble and dead bodies.
- 26 main missions
- 30 “training” missions can be unlocked as you complete levels
- new “Bike infantry” unit, can move quickly and capture cities but doesn’t have as much fire power as larger vehicles
-“Flare”, a new tank unit that can lob a bright light at enemies that are concealed by the Fog of War.
-“Duster”, a crop duster aircraft that can attack any kind of aircraft or land unit, but it isn’t as powerful.
- “Mobile Cannon” units
-another new unit is a ship that can mesh smartly with existing units (???)
-Everytime a unit destroys another unit it gains a rank, which gives it added strength. Can be upgrade 3 times, then it is a “veteran” unit
- CO powers aren’t as powerful as before
- The CO rides with a unit of your choice, giving that unit “veteran” status and power. If the unit gets defeated the CO returns to the base.
-As the CO’s unit destroys enemies the CO fills the CO power gauge.
-CO makes nearby vehicle’s more powerful
- CO’s also have a “CO zone” which gives units in the zone different power ups based on the CO. For example, a CO could give units added defense or increase their visual range.
- Friend Code Wifi battles are voice chat inabled, just like Pokemon Diamond & Pearl was.
- Over 150 multiplayer campaigns available.
- You can create your own map which can then be uploaded to a server for all players in the world to try. People can also rank the uploaded map’s quality.
- Other CO’s include Isabella, has amsnesia and can only remember sensitive military details (looks like a shy anime girl ripoff);
-and Waylon, a hot shot flyboy who suddenly finds himself allyless (looks a life a “Are you a bad enough dude to save the president” rip off)

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin boasts a feature set that should have fans excited. Wi-fi multiplayer battles over the Nintendo Wi-fi Connection are finally here, bringing voice chat with them. Also coming is the tentatively titled Map Center, making map creation and sharing a worldwide affair. Players can take their map designs, upload them, and rate and download others via the Map Center, adding hundreds of maps to the 170+ already included.
CO Powers have been toned down and the actual gameplay will be much quiker than old titles. There has only been one confirmed new unit so far, the "bike infantry unit" and that the game has had a graphic and cast overhaul - a new crew and a more realistic military look - Jake, Andy, Blue Moon, Yellow Comet, are all gone. It looks like they all got blown up by meteors...

Official Trailer:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26459.html

New Videos:
http://www.nintendo-master.com/xtnews/news-11508.htm

New Screens:
http://images.filefront.com/Advance+Wars+Days+of+Ruin/;113860;0;/screenshot.html

AW2.jpg

That is a pretty big coincidence. I figured Nintendo couldn't leave a gem like this alone. I do not know how AWDS' sales numbers were, but this is by far my favorite game franchise for a handheld (even more fun that Phoenix Wright, due to the HIGH replayablitiy and multiplayer).

So does that mean AWDS 2 is coming out in France first? Or is this just the first appearance of the game?

Maybe they will work on a Wii version...that would be great with WIFI playability.

I think AW 2 DS was announced at E3 this year.
It was supposed to come out in Europe Q4 2007, but got pushed back to 2008.
No word on a US release date

I liked AWDS and will be looking forward to its sequel. For many of you waiting for next AW game, check out Panzer Tactics which will be out in mid-October. It features realistic units and wifi multiplayer.

I kinda prefer the older cast, but IS is probably trying to appeal to a larger amount of DS owners this time around. I probably won't care in the long run, since it's Advance Wars after all.

Nintendo has never promoted Advance Wars..

I dont understand why either.. It's easily the greatest game on the DS.

This game will be (sorta) nothing without Wi-Fi this time around. Nintendo can't make the same mistake twice!

I too like the new look and I can't wait to see a more finished version of the game in action.

I'm a bit late to the game, I'm about 1/3 of the way through AW2, and have AW:DS sitting on my shelf waiting to be played when I'm done. I'm kind of afraid to, though, based on how addictive everyone says it is!

[quote name='johnnypark']I'm a bit late to the game, I'm about 1/3 of the way through AW2, and have AW:DS sitting on my shelf waiting to be played when I'm done. I'm kind of afraid to, though, based on how addictive everyone says it is![/quote]

Finish 2, and the play DS...

Still haven't beaten AWDS... But I love it and this will be a day one purchase. I'm eager to see all the changes!

Lieutenant O'Brien doesn't really look like an Advance Wars character... at least he's not wearing a tie to war.

Advance Wars is the best portable franchise going. The only thing that disappointed me with Dual Strike was the lack of WIFI and no new War Room maps. Still, I'll buy any Advance Wars game they release.

[quote name='hootie']A new Advance Wars?

A new game in my collection. Can't.Wait![/quote]

It'd be a new addiction for me :X

The game that got it all started for me way back in the day was an old game called Nectaris, better known in the US (and on the Wii) as Military Madness:
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFDx6Hw2ZjU[/MEDIA]

Considering Advance Wars is the most over-rated game on DS--I'm not excited about this.

They just aren't very fun, unlike most 1st party Nintendo games. Sure the gameplay is "good" but it lacks fun.

Yeah, I'd have to say AW DS is still my favorite DS game. Nothing in the (2?) years since then has supplanted it IMO. I know I put more time into it than several other games put together.

But man, I have mixed feelings about another one coming out. I simply don't have enough time in my life to play such a game again! Plus I'd have to assume they will add online play (what with all the other strat games coming out with WiFi recently). That will only make it even MORE of a time sucker!

[quote name='soccerstud652']Yes...it referred to ur post...well added to it.[/quote]
Sorry, but I don't get it.
I referred to an old game that came out on the TurboGrafx 16 called Nectaris in Japan and Military Madness in the US. OP doesn't mention anything about it.

I know, I am the OP, I was just saying there is an actual set of games that directly correlates to the Advance Wars series...I was just adding some extra information to your post...check it out, its pretty interesting.

[quote name='soccerstud652']I know, I am the OP, I was just saying there is an actual set of games that directly correlates to the Advance Wars series...I was just adding some extra information to your post...check it out, its pretty interesting.[/quote]

Ah, all righty, I see what your saying. I read it earlier, I had no idea it started out on the original NES :whistle2:s

Took me a bit to figure out what you were getting at :dunce:

[quote name='soccerstud652']It's fun for people who actually like to think and not sit and hit "a" over and over and over like a Mario Party game...[/QUOTE]
I'll take AW over Mario Party any day. Come on now...

[quote name='freshzen']Considering Advance Wars is the most over-rated game on DS--I'm not excited about this.

They just aren't very fun, unlike most 1st party Nintendo games. Sure the gameplay is "good" but it lacks fun.[/quote]
You're wrong.

I only have the AW2 for the GBA... it's been so long since I last played it I'll probably start it over again. I assume it's not even worth playing the first game, right?

As I've heard it's not all that great, at least not after playing the sequel.

[quote name='soccerstud652']Nope, it is literally the same exact game minus one tank (neotank). Well worth playing the first and it has a muich better tutorial.[/quote]

You're confusing me.

How did it contradict itself? The original statement said that if you played AW2 then AW1 is pointless to play. Advance Wars 1 is the same exact game. AW 2 only adds one new unit, a neotank. The tutorial on how to play is much better in AW1. Therefore, you should definately give AW1 a play.

It made sense to me soccerstud.

I'm looking forward to this game. I need something new though because I think AW is getting a little old.

wow. after watching the videos, I'm very excited about getting this game. I haven't picked up advance wars since the first one, but I can tell that i'll definately enjoy this one.

New information about the English version has been posted on the net. We'll have some fun. Choose one option, AND ONE ONLY! Well, either choice should give you an idea of the general universe in this game, but you can come back and choose the other option if you want. ;)

DOOR #1:
1, 2
Oh, like I'm the only one who thought about this when I read the game's description.
DOOR #2:
1, 2
Don't worry, it's the real link this time. I love the part about the WFC support.

[quote name='Kawnhr']I'm digging the new art style.[/quote]

Same. Although the units both in battle and on the map still look a bit cute.

I'm glad Nintendo is taking a risk for a change.

bread's done
Back