Advance Wars: Days of Ruin - General Discussion - Release Date Jan. 21 2008!!!

Finally got my hands on this yesterday--spent some birthday money at the CC 20% off sale--and I'll be cracking it open within the next day or two. Can't wait--AW: DS is easily my favorite DS game so far, so I've got high hopes. And with the online thing, I now look forward to trying to kick some of your asses in the very near future. :lol:

Just picked it up this morning along with my Wii. I'll throw my friend code up shortly, always love a good mp game of Advance Wars!

[quote name='halfbent']Just picked it up this morning along with my Wii. I'll throw my friend code up shortly, always love a good mp game of Advance Wars![/quote]

You're in for a good gaming time.

Is this game worth $30 or should I wait for a price drop? I know I can count on you cheapasses for a straight answer.

[quote name='cletus']Is this game worth $30 or should I wait for a price drop? I know I can count on you cheapasses for a straight answer.[/QUOTE]

It all depends on what kind of experience your going. Single player or multi player? If your going just for single player experience, I say skip it. There isn't much content in single player missions- 26 story mission, no shops, no hard mode, limited characters, few unlockable content, no war room and trial maps are kinda boring without some story driven plot. It would be interesting if they allow you to versus characters in previous advance wars series. There are very few incentives to make you push for those S Ranks beside lame medal

As for the gameplay wise, it more robust then before with the balance of CO(Commanding Officers) and units. The addition of new line of unit adds a strategic balance better, thus making the online experience much better. Creating your own maps and sharing them is neat idea. Their are still some fault with online experience. Some CO like Calderon and Tabitha are really broken when your facing experience players. And some maps either drag too long for large maps or too short for time matches. Overall, it's solid online experience, but don't expect some xbox live with lame as friends code.

whoooo~!!!! finally beat C14 last nite!!!

it took me damn near 2 hours!! ~33 days...

I wanna hop onto wifi soon. maybe tonite.

Finally got around to picking this up thanks to the CC deal last week. I haven't got to mess around with it too much, but it's awesome so far. I'll get around to putting up my friend code sometime this week.

i think this is the best ds game ever made. has anybody seen the last lvl besides me its crazy hard but if you beat it you get a cool after story ( and the crazy strong Caulder)

So far (12 main missions in) this is my least favorite Advance Wars game, but I still love it.

The story is very meh to me. I've started skipping every cutscene. I'm not a huge fan of the muted color palette either, but I can live with it. The new units are fantastic and the challenge feels a bit ramped up, which I enjoy.

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']So far (12 main missions in) this is my least favorite Advance Wars game, but I still love it.

The story is very meh to me. I've started skipping every cutscene. I'm not a huge fan of the muted color palette either, but I can live with it. The new units are fantastic and the challenge feels a bit ramped up, which I enjoy.[/quote]

I haven't played an AW game since the first on GBA and the game seems easier to me. I get A ranks usually with the occasional S and about the most difficult thing to deal with in the game is winning in a decent amount of time. However, I'm on the 22 mission I think and I'm getting fatigue just playing it. Not that it's hard, just that it's grueling.

Still, totally worth all the money I spent on it. Even if I got it at full price I wouldn't have been disappointed.

whaaaaa~~~ any tips for C20???

I spent 41 days on it last nite... finally gave up coz enemy began to break thru my stalemate...

That's usually the way I win.The opponent rushes in and I massacre their units and then I rush in.I guess I play on the defensive.

I'm realizing defensive is the way to go rite now...

like I got a Fighter jet and a missile jus chilling there...

and u see all the air units being afraid to attack my fighter coz they dont wanna die!!

I don't remember entirely how I won but I remember that you need to LOAD the center area with units. Those 4 cities are pretty much your ticket to victory. Load the area with War Tanks, AA, Missles, etc.

Once you've taken out the majority of his airforce (his strongpoint) start charging towards his HQ. I won by domination but I could have done a HQ Capture easily. Also, put ALL units in the center area before charging. only put units on the side if an enemy is trying to sneak by.

Also, I would advise against putting out ANY air units until Waylon's air force is taken completely (or atleast almost completely) out. Once it is, just make bombers and fighters when you charge to his base (use bombers to weaken or destroy units for ground units and use fighters to defend bombers against any air units that Waylon builds).

Also, try to capture either Waylon's airport or factory to help also.

Does anyone still play this?

I picked it up about two weeks ago and have been playing it non-stop.

I'm lookin' to play some multiplayer with any of you guys if you won't disconnect on me ;)

I'm always getting the upper hand and everyone keeps disconnecting on me, it gets pretty annoying :/

The ONE thing I love is that you can close the DS now without it disconnecting :D

Only C Missions I can't get S ranks on are C26 and C8 (I dominate yet continually get an A) :(

i havent touched it since i beat it months ago.
I was meaning to go back and beat all the T mission i skipped because they were a bitch ... but i probably wont.

and for online ... its been awhile so i'm rusty and its quite a change from cod4 so i think im good.

Does anyone still play this?

I picked it up about two weeks ago and have been playing it non-stop.

I'm lookin' to play some multiplayer with any of you guys if you won't disconnect on me ;)

I'm always getting the upper hand and everyone keeps disconnecting on me, it gets pretty annoying :/

The ONE thing I love is that you can close the DS now without it disconnecting :D

Only C Missions I can't get S ranks on are C26 and C8 (I dominate yet continually get an A) :(

i havent touched it since i beat it months ago.
I was meaning to go back and beat all the T mission i skipped because they were a bitch ... but i probably wont.

and for online ... its been awhile so i'm rusty and its quite a change from cod4 so i think im good.

I've got some store credit, and I'm wondering if I should pick this up, given:

-I spent months on Advance Wars 1
-I started Advance Wars 2 and gave up after just a few battles (it STARTS out harder than AW1 ENDs-WAY too hard for me).
-I loved Advance Wars: DS most out of the whole series. Loved the campaign, but the individual maps you can play outside the campaign got way too hard for me after about half a dozen.
-Field Commander-gave up halfway through. Harder than AW 1 and DS (not to mention it's not nearly as good).

How's the difficulty on this one? Think I might enjoy it? I like the art styles in the first three, although I think relaunching it is a neat idea since there's not much more they can do with the story in the first AW universe.

Days Of Ruin's Campaign is harder than the normal campaign for AWDS, but it lacks a hard campaign after that.

There are trial maps that are unlocked as you go through the chapters, and other trials map after clearing the initial trial maps. There is also a free-battle option to play other pre-designed maps, and you can also connect to wi-fi to play others as well as download player-created maps and the ability to upload your own (limited to one, though :/)

I enjoyed the animation for DoR, and the difficulty seems to be a roller-coaster until you start getting near the end, then it begins to build up. The last mission was ridiculous, but according to my bro, nothing tops Crystal Calamity on Hard in Dual Strike.

I would recommend the game, I've already logged in about 60 hours and still have a couple trial maps to complete, wi-fi is decent but people continually disconnect on you if you have the upper hand, and especially if you're going to deliver the final blow.

Hmm...how do you think the difficulty compares to Advance Wars one or two?

I've never played the hard mode in AW:DS, and I'm quite confident I'd get creamed in two seconds :D

I'm still playing my copy, so if you add me to your game, shoot me a pm or something of the other and I'll add you as well.

So I'm really not digging this as much as I thought I would. I played the first DS game back when I got my first DS and while I don't know that I loved it, I didn't have any problem finishing it. I don't know if I'll have the drive to do that with this one, it's just not really clicking with me.

Seems like Dual Strike kinda got me back into the strategy genre, but after playing an abundance of SRPGs since then, I just find a lot of the actual strategy missing from TBS/RTS. The capability to build units tends to turn it into either a battle of attrition or a base rush.

We'll see if my opinions change as I put a bit more time into it (I'm on C9), but judging by how battles currently go when I have a factory and they don't, I'm not looking forward to constant factory vs. factory fights.

That's the thing with strategy games-there's so much personal preference that's probably hard to even nail down!

Personally I *hated* the second one because it was WAAAAY too hard for me, but I've loved the two DS ones. I guess I don't like Days of Ruin as well, but it's close (and actually I'm enjoying the story, though I liked the story in Dual Strike too).

I've been playing through all the training maps as they open up, so it's been a long time since I've actually advanced the main plot! I think the main game is actually fairly short if not for all the training maps (I guess they're sort of like the maps you could play outside the main game in the previous one).

I haven't had too much trouble with this game - until the last mission that is. At least I think it is the last (big cannon things that wipe you out while the enemy produces endless units without needing a factory). I got there a long time ago and tried it a few times but since then I've just been trying to clear all the training maps. I have nearly the whole grid filled out now. I need to get back and finish that last story mission though. But there are some pretty overwhelming odds. Of course, I have the penny strat guide from Best Buy but I wanted to win it without using that at all. If I can't make it after another attempt, though, I might have to browse through that thing. I get the feeling there is some cheap trick you use to make it through that mission.

That last mission is a beyotch, IO. I was stuck there for about a month, myself. Finally had to read the first 3-4 days of a walkthrough to get me off on the right foot, and I beat it last weekend. The basic strategy is to take out the left and right cannons ASAP, because once the enemies start to entrench/multiply, it's VERY hard to get back over to that rightmost cannon.

Good luck!

I'm still a fan of the game, so if anyone in here wants an online battle, give a shout, and we'll do it to it.

bread's done
Back