Advice on the Turtle Beach/Tritton line of headsets

MSUHitman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Hey there everyone. I've been looking at getting a stereo headset as my living arrangments do not accomodate a traditional surround sound setup. I'm looking for something that works on both 360 and PS3 and have been always looking at the $80 headsets TB and Tritton offer.

Yes I know they're only stereo vs. Dolby digital, but the $130-$200 are out of my price range.

The Tritton ones are $50 this week at Best Buy and I have $20 in RZ certificates to drop the price to $30. Will I get a good value for these or should I just wait for a sale on a similar functioning Turtle Beach set?

Thanks in advance.

According to this thread, it looks like the Turtle Beach x11s will be a lightning deal today at 7PM PST. You may want to wait and see how much Amazon will discount it for.

If you do get the x11s, you will need an adapter to use the mic on the PS3 (sound works fine on both). From what I've read, the x11s are built exactly like the x41s (in terms of headband/ear cups) without the 5.1/7.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound.

Check out the thread here where I talk about the Best Buy-exclusive Turtle Beach DX11's. They're basically an amalgamation of the X11s and X41s - a wired set with 5.1/7.1 surround. You said 130 is the beginning of being out of your price range, and that's the price...so if you're willing to go right up against your limit you can pick them up. Sucks that they're Best Buy exclusive, but what can you do.

The DX11s work on a 360, Blu-Ray player (although it can't process DTS), and PC so I assume they work on a PS3 - don't quote me on that though, will probably need to do more research.

I'm currently rocking the px21 + dss system. They are not perfect, but definitely worth the money for surround sound on a small scale. Here are the major cons that I've found with the hardware.

Headset emits a light hiss that very noticeable when there is no sound being played. I did some research and found that it is a result of the headset's amplifier having poor grounding / shielding. The good thing here is that this is basically a non issue when sound begins playing because it is easily drowned out.

Another issue I found is that I cannot use the headset to chat with friends on Xbox Live when I am charging my controller via USB plug and play. I think this is because a current of electricity leaks through the cable connecting the controller to the headset. In any case, it produces a very unpleasant hum or buzz that is much to loud to be ignored. Just be sure to keep your controller charged and this is a non issue.

-very comfortable
-very good sound
-very good microphone
-able to be used on ps3/xbox360/pc

With the dss,
- digitized dolby digital 5.1 - works very well
- able to connect headset to anything with an optical out.

[quote name='MSUHitman']What is the DSS system? Is that the adapter Ma12kez mentioned?[/QUOTE]

No the Turtle Beach DSS is an additional accessroy, a sound processor that you plug your Turtle Beach Headset into. The DSS then plugs into any device with an optical out (e.g. Xbox, PS3, PC, etc.). The DSS simulates the audio into sounding like it is Dolby Digit 5.1 surround sound. Like I said, it works really well (e.g. it helps me prevent getting assassinated in Halo Reach because I can actually hear where the guys are at behind me).

Not sure what the adapter is Ma12kez mentioned, but the px21 works with all systems (no adapter required).

For what it's worth, the Trittons are made by madcatz and I'm not spending near or over $100 on anything made by that company. (yes I've heard nothing but good thing about their tournament fightsticks, but they're just assembling arcade parts, not really making their own product)

[quote name='MSUHitman']How much is the adapter and where would I get it?[/QUOTE]My bad. I double checked, and the adapter only works with the x31/x41 versions of the Turtle Beaches. Sorry about that.

[quote name='Swift900']No the Turtle Beach DSS is an additional accessroy, a sound processor that you plug your Turtle Beach Headset into. The DSS then plugs into any device with an optical out (e.g. Xbox, PS3, PC, etc.). The DSS simulates the audio into sounding like it is Dolby Digit 5.1 surround sound. Like I said, it works really well (e.g. it helps me prevent getting assassinated in Halo Reach because I can actually hear where the guys are at behind me).

Not sure what the adapter is Ma12kez mentioned, but the px21 works with all systems (no adapter required).[/QUOTE]

How much does that cost and where can I get one?

I'm getting the PX21 today as my PC headset of 7 years finally crapped out on me so I need a new one so I might as well get something that works on PC, PS3, and 360.

I've got the x31s and I love them. Sure, stereo only, but wireless and the fact that I can plug it into my tv out means I can watch tv, play xbox and watch blu-rays without having to switch any wires or anything.

I adore my X11s and can't imagine going back to the terribly shitty M$ mics no matter the price. Audio is so clean and crisp people can hear you swallow, haha. Whatever you decide you made the right choice with TB.

bread's done
Back