Alan Wake $49.99 @ Wal-Mart w/bonus

I decided to bite on this ... so thanks for the post

As far as I can tell, its NOT guaranteed to arrive by Tuesday. It depends on which shipping option you choose, and the 97 cent shipping, they estimate, won't get it there by Tuesday.

Of course, they also had a 1 night overnight shipping option, which estimated arrival on Monday, so I'm not sure how much we can trust those estimates either.

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']This. Sales were down for April, so it seems retailers are adjusting accordingly (trying to tempt consumers more).

Bad economy and everybody is fighting for those game sales. Definately on those big titles if you get a splinter cell that sells 500,000 in first couple two three weeks you would like to sell the most of those. Its tought out there and everybody is fightin for the sales

I ordered a physical instore GC with my RDR eGC from walmart.com.

Ordered it on april 29th, it shipped out that same day. They said if it didn't show up by may 13th to contact them. I had the GC the following monday. So it shipped out thursday, and was in my hands on monday. Pretty quick, however I do not have any experience with their games shipping. Depending on how quick I get it is going to determine whether I use my walmart GCs to preorder backbreaker online or just buy it instore.

So we'll see.

Finally something to use my $30 in Walmart gift card money on.

Checkout was $23.59, so I got it for $13.59 when you factor in the additional $10 GC that I have now. :)

[quote name='el swordo']i think i'll still pass. probably a rental for me[/QUOTE]

Yep. I beat the game last week. Took a few hours. It's AMAZING, don't get me wrong...but even if you're an achievement fiend, this game is an easyyy rent. You can master it in a weeks rental, forsure.

[quote name='McNutsack']Yep. I beat the game last week. Took a few hours. It's AMAZING, don't get me wrong...but even if you're an achievement fiend, this game is an easyyy rent. You can master it in a weeks rental, forsure.[/QUOTE]

Good to know. Thanks.

[quote name='McNutsack']Yep. I beat the game last week. Took a few hours. It's AMAZING, don't get me wrong...but even if you're an achievement fiend, this game is an easyyy rent. You can master it in a weeks rental, forsure.[/QUOTE]

Get it early when someone broke the street date?

- Jason

[quote name='bilbobagg']I hear you man. Washington state here. It's so weird knowing that so many people don't pay any tax at Amazon. Kind of pisses me off actually. But not too much. Amazon is still frequently the best deal around.[/QUOTE]

This made me curious enough to look it up - there's only 5 states charged tax by Amazon directly:

"Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries, and shipped to destinations in the states of Kansas, Kentucky, New York, North Dakota, or Washington are subject to tax."

I didn't even think about it till I read this thread, but with the tax this really isn't better than the $25 gift card at Toys-R-Us or even the $20 credit at Amazon (because it's tax free).

[quote name='manicbomber']I didn't even think about it till I read this thread, but with the tax this really isn't better than the $25 gift card at Toys-R-Us or even the $20 credit at Amazon (because it's tax free).[/QUOTE]

Amazon isn't doing a $20 credit, they are doing $10.

- Jason

And the $25 gift card from Toys R Us is for Red Dead Redemption not Alan Wake unless I am mistaken.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jabrim']Get it early when someone broke the street date?

- Jason[/QUOTE]

Must be. One of my Xbox Live friends' status had him playing it too...so I'm guessing a fair amount of copies must've trickled out there.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']Must be. One of my Xbox Live friends' status had him playing it too...so I'm guessing a fair amount of copies must've trickled out there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I love it, I have never once got a game before the street date. Though I would be a little apprehensive about playing and risking XBox live banning the account which I have read them doing to some people before.

- Jason

[quote name='handsomepete']This made me curious enough to look it up - there's only 5 states charged tax by Amazon directly:

"Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries, and shipped to destinations in the states of Kansas, Kentucky, New York, North Dakota, or Washington are subject to tax."[/QUOTE]

Yea, it's just my luck that I live in North Dakota too. :cry:

Definately stops me from buying everything at amazon.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']Yea, it's just my luck that I live in North Dakota too. :cry:

Definately stops me from buying everything at amazon.[/QUOTE]
I'll never forget the day they started charging tax in NY lol, I was sooooo pissed! O_O Amazon is still the cheapest even with tax at times but I miss no tax. I bought a computer part from tigerdirect.com a few months ago and they didn't charge me tax and it felt good! I then went to amazon to buy something and cried just a lil bit..... :cry: If there wasn't taxes on amazon again form me, I would get everything from then including Pop Tarts!

[quote name='USB Cable']I'll never forget the day they started charging tax in NY lol, I was sooooo pissed! O_O Amazon is still the cheapest even with tax at times but I miss no tax. I bought a computer part from tigerdirect.com a few months ago and they didn't charge me tax and it felt good! I then went to amazon to buy something and cried just a lil bit..... :cry: If there wasn't taxes on amazon again form me, I would get everything from then including Pop Tarts![/QUOTE]

Thank your politicians for that tax. Apparently, NYC couldn't have continued without that money. Or so they said.

[quote name='Jabrim']Amazon isn't doing a $20 credit, they are doing $10.

- Jason

And the $25 gift card from Toys R Us is for Red Dead Redemption not Alan Wake unless I am mistaken.[/QUOTE]

ya you are right... this post was in reference to Red Dead Redemption...NOT Alan Wake.

Right now... Alan Wake is $59.99 wit $10 credit at Amazon ... better deal at Walmart.

Doesn't look like Amazon is matching.

With Walmart and Newegg selling it for 49.9, how has Amazon not matched that price!?!? They are usually so good about matching... I'm a bit disappointed.

[quote name='manicbomber']I didn't even think about it till I read this thread, but with the tax this really isn't better than the $25 gift card at Toys-R-Us or even the $20 credit at Amazon (because it's tax free).[/QUOTE]

Tax Free in certain states...sadly the one I live in isn't one of em.

Just to update my post about Walmart shipping...

When I placed my order, I used the 97 cent shipping ... it estimated arrival between Wednesday and Friday. I purchased a second game (different shipment, as I used the gift card from this promo to pay for it), and also selected the same shipping option (with same estimates)

I got an email saying both had shipped via USPS that night.

Today, I wake up, and found a nice shipment from FedEx on my doorstep ... turns out they sent Alan Wake ahead via FedEx, so while game #2 isn't here yet (and who cares), they made sure that Alan Wake got here at release.

But I have to say, they went above and beyond what they said they would, to get it here by launch. :applause:

I ordered Red Dead Redemption from Wal-Mart and got the $20 gift card, which I used for baby diapers...yay. Any way I hope I get my game early like you did since they shipped mine out apparently last night or the night before last.

- Jason

Alright I'm going to make this a little more interesting

I placed 2 orders. 1 was this special, which included a $10 card. The other was another game I used my $10 card on.

Walmart was nice enough to Fedex me my game and token (pre-order card) so that I had it on release day! YAY!

HOWEVER this is where it gets weird ... according to their shipping records, they only shipped the Token via Fedex, and they sent me an email saying the game was on its way. I thought they meant my 2nd order. I was wrong!

So as of right now they have shipped me 2 Copies of Alan Wake, as well as my pre-order token, my $10 emailed gift card, and my other game should be in the mail soon.

I'm actually kinda stunned and perplexed on what to do now :shock:

Like Siterath, Walmart shipped me two copies of the game--one via FedEx and one via USPS--as well as the $10 gift card. Unlike Siterath, I didn't order a second game; I just ordered Alan Wake for $50 and change.

The FedEx shipment was listed as "Alan Wake Token", which I presume was just supposed to be the insert for the Xbox Live Avatar and Theme downloads, but the token was packaged with a copy of the game. I don't think that the copy that came via USPS has a token (but I haven't opened the plastic to check).

I suppose the right thing to do is to return it to Walmart when I have the chance and tell them their mistake. I might wait a week or two first to see if they contact me on their own.

Walmart.com's shipping is really weird. I bought the FF XIII CE guide when they were the only ones with it left in stock for $19 and a few days later I get the cancellation email that many other CAG's got.

Then a week after the game's release (and after the credit showed back up on my bank account) I received a package at my door that was the CE guide. Free guide works for me!

Like Siterath and Hedgethorn, I got (2) copies of Alan Wake (only ordered one). One was sent via FedEx and another via UPS. Only one came w/ the preorder bonus (shirt/theme download card). It's also interesting that the Order # is the same on both packages. The FedEx package totaled in at $2.14 and the UPS one totaled in at $41.18. So combining them doesn't even add up to the $50 it was advertised for. It could be minus the e-giftcard, though they emailed that shortly after I placed my order. I'm confused, did they ship us another copy so we'd have it ASAP or was it in error?

Glad I'm not the only one who experienced this.

103291962.png

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']Like Siterath and Hedgethorn, I got (2) copies of Alan Wake (only ordered one). One was sent via FedEx and another via UPS. Only one came w/ the preorder bonus (shirt/theme download card). It's also interesting that the Order # is the same on both packages. The FedEx package totaled in at $2.14 and the UPS one totaled in at $41.18. So combining them doesn't even add up to the $50 it was advertised for. It could be minus the e-giftcard, though they emailed that shortly after I placed my order. I'm confused, did they ship us another copy so we'd have it ASAP or was it in error?

Glad I'm not the only one who experienced this.

103291962.png
[/QUOTE]
That's a nice error there. You could easily sell that extra copy for $40 right now.

Does anyone know if the $50 price w/ $10 GC is available in store as well or is it an online only deal?

I just saw a friend playing this today and I already wanted it, but was going to wait till I was done with RDR. Now I think I want to get Alan Wake now because I am already hooked into the story.

Wal-Mart screwed up again?!

I read some CAG got a free FFXIII LE guide because WM canceled his order but still shipped it out.

I was regreting ordering from walmart and not Amazon then I also got this

Due to a system error, we have shipped you duplicates of Alan Wake in your recent order

Because this was our error, please enjoy the extra item – on us! You will not be charged for it. If you don’t need the extra item, please give it to a friend or consider donating it.
!

Just got the same email ... I'm glad they caught the situation ... I wasn't looking forward to trying to explain the situation at a walmart service desk.

Honestly, Walmart shipped it FedEx so I'd have it on release day (which they didn't need to do, as I paid for slow shipping), and then after the error, handled it in a great way. Honestly, I have to say, kudos to them on the customer service front :applause:

My extra copy is up for sale if anyone wants it a little more cheaply

[quote name='Siterath']
Honestly, Walmart shipped it FedEx so I'd have it on release day (which they didn't need to do, as I paid for slow shipping), and then after the error, handled it in a great way. Honestly, I have to say, kudos to them on the customer service front :applause:

My extra copy is up for sale if anyone wants it a little more cheaply[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Though I wouldn't mind sending back the extra copy if it was required. At least they admitted it was an error on their part and let us keep it. Pretty awesome bit of luck. :)

Wow, speaking of getting two games, I got my Red Dead Redemption in today from Gamestop via UPS, and I got a second package with a Red Dead Redemption I didn't pay for, same UPS number and everything. So all in all I too got a free game this week, lol.

[quote name='Sharkey1337']Wow, speaking of getting two games, I got my Red Dead Redemption in today from Gamestop via UPS, and I got a second package with a Red Dead Redemption I didn't pay for, same UPS number and everything. So all in all I too got a free game this week, lol.[/QUOTE]

Hey if you want to trade your extra Red Dead Redemption (if its 360 and not PS3) for my extra Alan Wake, let me know ;)

[quote name='Siterath']Hey if you want to trade your extra Red Dead Redemption (if its 360 and not PS3) for my extra Alan Wake, let me know ;)[/QUOTE]

lol, well I should be getting my Alan Wake in the mail tomorrow from walmart.com, and I already sold my free copy of Red Dead on Ebay for $70, sorry bro!

[quote name='Sharkey1337']lol, well I should be getting my Alan Wake in the mail tomorrow from walmart.com, and I already sold my free copy of Red Dead on Ebay for $70, sorry bro![/QUOTE]

No worries ... My copy of Alan Wake is going to Ebay too if no one wants it here ... But I want to give CAG first crack

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']Agreed. Though I wouldn't mind sending back the extra copy if it was required.[/QUOTE]
They can't require it or even ask per the FTC's Mail Order or Telephone Order Merchandise Rule:
"Unordered Merchandise
Whether or not the Rule is involved, in any approval or other sale you must obtain the customer’s prior express agreement to receive the merchandise. Otherwise the merchandise may be treated as unordered merchandise. It is unlawful to:
1. Send any merchandise by any means without the express request of the recipient (unless the merchandise is clearly identified as a gift, free sample, or the like); or,
2. Try to obtain payment for or the return of the unordered merchandise.
Merchants who ship unordered merchandise with knowledge that it is unlawful to do so can be subject to civil penalties of up to $16,000 per violation. Moreover, customers who receive unordered merchandise are legally entitled to treat the merchandise as a gift. Using the U.S. mails to ship unordered merchandise also violates the Postal laws."

This is a really good fuck up and I hate you guys, seriously. =P

If anyone wants to sell me their alan wake for a good price send me a pm as to what your asking for it and if it seems like a good deal I'll buy it. I played it a little bit and thought it was cool but not willing to pay $60 for it.

bread's done
Back