Alien Swarm: Valve's next game FREE NOW AVAILABLE TO DL!!!

kosmos13x

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that Valve's next game, Alien Swarm: Infected is COMPLETELY FREE on steam at release on Monday July 19th. This game has full single player, 4 player co-op, steam achievements, progression unlockables, etc etc etc!

Here is the steam page for the game:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/630/

Enjoy and happy gaming

-Edit-

eastx has asked me to add this:

Everyone please join the CAG Alien Swarm Steam Group!

3a5e0a062c5f581f0b72e8a84946e09fdcca5d80_full.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/cag-as

Last edited by a moderator:
"They think that i am working on Episode 3/Half Life 3! :lol:"

thegabens.jpg

You are now aware that Gabe's new album is most likely to be released first then the most anticipated game from this decade.

If anyone wants to play a game of co-op(I want the unlockable TF2 hat) hit me up. My steam ID is the same as my name here. DM7000.

[quote name='tightclaws']Can't seem to get it, how do you change servers?
F it I will wait until late night, I keep getting the the too busy grrrrr.[/QUOTE]

Steam-->Settings-->Downloads + Cloud--> Download Region (Change to something else) Steam will restart and apply changes, worked for me.

Is there any way to add it to my library without installing it. I'm kinda running low on HDD space and like a lot of the games I've purchased on Steam it'll have to wait until I've upgraded.

[quote name='AwakenedCloud']Is there any way to add it to my library without installing it. I'm kinda running low on HDD space and like a lot of the games I've purchased on Steam it'll have to wait until I've upgraded.[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. I tried to begin installing it and then deleted it to see if it stayed in my library of games -- it didn't. Looking forward to trying this one out tonight at home.

[quote name='Ionotropic']Looks like PC only for now.[/QUOTE]
Even if Valve does decide to port this to the consoles it's pretty unlikely Microsoft or Sony will let them release it for free.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Even if Valve does decide to port this to the consoles it's pretty unlikely Microsoft or Sony will let them release it for free.[/QUOTE]
i have a feeling he was speaking about mac

[quote name='Kaijufan']Even if Valve does decide to port this to the consoles it's pretty unlikely Microsoft or Sony will let them release it for free.[/QUOTE]
Microsoft, heavens no!
Sony, more likely.

If this new Sony and Valve partnership tightens a bit more, we may see this game in the PSN,

and i am ok with that :D
screw Microsoft's DLC policy

It's an extremely fun game. I got to the last level(me thinks) before people had to leave. I really recommend it.

fun game, I joined the CAG Alien Swarm steam group. Hit me up on steam if you want to play a game sometime. I just noticed there is a CAG Magic the Gathering group and joined that as well! My steam id is webstercc97.

Uhhh...tried 4 different servers, still too busy. Been like this most of the day.

EDIT - Figures as soon as I post this. Changed server to Atlanta seemed to work.

Great game, just would be so much better with controller support...when those little alien fuckers come flying at me, I need to be able to move while I shoot and the keyboard just sucks for that, IMO. :bomb:

[quote name='Full Metal XL']Great game, just would be so much better with controller support...when those little alien fuckers come flying at me, I need to be able to move while I shoot and the keyboard just sucks for that, IMO. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

it definitely feels clunky to me.

Liked it but with only one level of SP, not for me. Wasn't aware of it being a MP game primarily. But hey, those with friends on Steam, it is a sweet deal. Gotta love free games, right?!

The only thing I don't like about this game is that a Tech is required to open certain doors. Really kills the momentum of the game when you can't progress if the only one died. They should also include distance from party members with the little arrows, because the camera isn't the greatest when traveling south. Fun game otherwise and hopefully good map packs will flow out to keep it fresh.

[quote name='typical guy']it definitely feels clunky to me.[/QUOTE]

I hate to complain about a free game, but yeah, this. This game really should be a dual-stick shooter.

Otherwise, I really like it... It just needs a control overhaul.

[quote name='typical guy']it definitely feels clunky to me.[/QUOTE]

Damn,I thought it was just me, seeing as how I haven't played on the PC for a good while now.

Played about an hour last night with some friends. Game is a blast! Not sure why anyone is complaining about the controls..they felt dead on to me. Maybe I am just used to playing PC games..

If you're used to playing top-down shooters on the PC you shouldn't have an issue with the controls (Nation Red etc.) but it certainly would be nice to have controller support for those who aren't fond of this scheme as the more players, the better.

While I agree that it would be easier to use twin sticks for the controls, I would never say that the current controls are bad. I love the game and have been playing it a ton, not once stopping to think, man these controls are clunky/unresponsive/etc.

Is this any good single player? I wasn't getting it 'cause it sounded like multi player only, but then the OP says it's single player too.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Is this any good single player? I wasn't getting it 'cause it sounded like multi player only, but then the OP says it's single player too.[/QUOTE]

Only 1 map works unless you use console commands and the AI is severely limited. It's playable but I wouldn't suggest it at all.

Oh, okay. Thanks...guess I shouldn't have bothered to start downloading it. Oh well, at least it's free!

[quote name='Full Metal XL']Great game, just would be so much better with controller support...when those little alien fuckers come flying at me, I need to be able to move while I shoot and the keyboard just sucks for that, IMO. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

It does support controllers, just open the console and enter "exec 360controller_xbox " and it will automatically map everything to a connected Xbox 360 controller.

It definitely controls much better using a keyboard and mouse though. Aiming is so much more precise and responsive that way, and you can access all of your commands without temporarily losing the ability to accurately aim like you would on a gamepad when you have to hit a face button. I don't see how you can have trouble moving and shooting when using the keyboard/mouse since you can easily do both independantly just like you can in an FPS. The only advantage a dual analog controller gives you is that you can move around at a fully variable rate instead of just run/walk, which...is really quite useless in a game like this since there's no reason not to run at full speed.

I think the whole "Tech is needed" is partially true. When your tech dies, game says so and you lose the level, but sometimes when your tech dies you don't get the "you lose" prompt, cause (this happened to me last night for the first time), you can melee down doors. Of course tech does non-melee stuff you need, but you may luck out.

Two things though...

*Can't turn off friendly fire (this is good and bad, you get used to it, not as required to turn off as it is in Left 4 Dead though, which is good)
*Can't create a game, invite a friend, and then open the game to public (like in L4D); Have to create a public game and quickly invite your friend(s).

Not trying to single you out, others have been saying this too...

I don't get this unless you're only a console player... have you ever played a FPS on pc before?

I just don't get how you can be accurate enough without using the auto-aim feature on some guns or carry-on options.

I personally haven't had any issue with KB or mouse and would be pist off to no end if it didn't support it.

But if it wasn't for a Valve type game, I could easily see this on the Xbox or PS3.

Ok I finally figured out how to use my 360 controller (or any other controller):
1. Go to the options-keyboard and mouse-and check the use developer's console.
2. Start the game and hit the ` key
3. type exec 360controller_xbox.cfg for a 360 controller
or
type exec 360controller_pc.cfg for other dual analog controllers.

[quote name='xycury']Not trying to single you out, others have been saying this too...

I don't get this unless you're only a console player... have you ever played a FPS on pc before?

I just don't get how you can be accurate enough without using the auto-aim feature on some guns or carry-on options.

I personally haven't had any issue with KB or mouse and would be pist off to no end if it didn't support it.

But if it wasn't for a Valve type game, I could easily see this on the Xbox or PS3.[/QUOTE]

I've played FPS on the PC and if there's an option to play with either kb&m or a gamepad, I'll always prefer the controller. Maybe it's because I've played consoles more in my years of gaming but the kb&m setup that PC gamers swear by doesn't work for me as well. I have much better motion when playing with a controller and as for loss of accuracy, that was never a problem for me when playing against PC kb&m gamers when I had the option of a pad.

It's kind of like how people who play fighting games and swear by a fighting stick can't understand how not only do I prefer a pad to a stick but I'm also just as good and sometimes better with a gamepad. :cool:

[quote name='Edge']
It does support controllers, just open the console and enter "exec 360controller_xbox " and it will automatically map everything to a connected Xbox 360 controller.
[/QUOTE]

Really? Now that's some good news...thanks for the info! :applause:

Hey, anyone else read about that mod to put the GOW reload bar below your character instead of hidden in the corner? So funny how one of my only complaints about the game was exactly that and the modding community already took charge of fixing it. I foresee great things for Alien Swarm. . .

[quote name='spacebooger']Ok I finally figured out how to use my 360 controller (or any other controller):
1. Go to the options-keyboard and mouse-and check the use developer's console.
2. Start the game and hit the ` key
3. type exec 360controller_xbox.cfg for a 360 controller
or
type exec 360controller_pc.cfg for other dual analog controllers.[/QUOTE]

I actually came in here to post the same thing - this game works so much better using a controller, but watch out for friendly fire. :D

EDIT: You can also right-click the game in Steam, click Properties, then Launch Options, type in this command, and not have to bring up the console every time you start the game. Even if you decide to switch back to keyboard/mouse, just turn the controller off and go, those controls are still accessible.

[quote name='Jerry-kun']I actually came in here to post the same thing - this game works so much better using a controller, but watch out for friendly fire. :D

EDIT: You can also right-click the game in Steam, click Properties, then Launch Options, type in this command, and not have to bring up the console every time you start the game. Even if you decide to switch back to keyboard/mouse, just turn the controller off and go, those controls are still accessible.[/QUOTE]

Do you have to have the pc 360 controller or can you just use the xbox one and connect it with the plug and play charge adapter? I plugged it in and my pc recognized it and downloaded a driver for it but when I try to use it in the game it doesn't work.

[quote name='kidrocklive']Do you have to have the pc 360 controller or can you just use the xbox one and connect it with the plug and play charge adapter? I plugged it in and my pc recognized it and downloaded a driver for it but when I try to use it in the game it doesn't work.[/QUOTE]
No, the Play and Charge Kit does not let you use wireless controllers with PCs. You can get a wireless controller adapter for that though.

bread's done
Back