ALIVE!!! WaveBird Clone (Shockwave) $8.99 shipped! wireless + rumble Wii & Gamecube

h3llbring3r

CAGiversary!
Feedback
58 (100%)

ALIVE AGAIN!

Update 9/18 white version now available for $8.99 shipped:
http://www.buy.com/prod/wii-gamecube-2-4ghz-shockwave-wireless-controller-white/q/loc/108/211532777.html

Buy.com marketplace ships free from GamezForLess

I have no idea about the quality (Amazon reviews are very positive, where it sells for $24.99):
211144692.jpg

Ad copy:
Sad that the Wavebird Wireless controller is a part of ancient history? Well rejoice with the new Shock-Wave Wii & Gamecube Wireless Controller! This Wii controller is modeled after the Nintendo Wavebird & supports all Gamecube games as well as Wii Games. So if you're into Smash Bros or just want to get a grip on a physical controller for the Wii then the 2.4GHz Shock-Wave is for you! This controller features 2.4 GHz technology for ultimate range, not to mention a rumble feature. The ergonomic design, and pressure sensitive trigger buttons only make it that much sweeter.

Features

• Wireless controller and receiver combo
  • Extremely high quality wireless controller for Gamecube - will not break or lose connectivity.
  • Fully compatible with Nintendo Wii
  • Operation frequency: 2.44 GHZ. Batteries yield up to 100 hours of gameplay
  • Controller features shock vibration along with the standard analog & trigger buttons
  • Tight joystick for superior control
  • Works with 4 player compatible games: supports four channels at the same time
Manufacturer: PHANTIQ
Format:
Wii
Mfg Part#:
PQ-W-1194UPC: 00892044001194
Buy.com Sku: 211144692
Item#:
G276R6

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='zenintrude']The frame around the analog stick looks... awful. Instead of coming to (logical) points at 90 and 45 degree angles, it comes to points at much less useful angles.

If this is due to some patent that Nintendo holds, they should have gone with a simple circular frame rather than an octagon.[/QUOTE]

Nope -- Nintendo's Wavebird does the same thing. It is awkward, and forces you not to push the stick all the way to the sides.

Its actually a design "feature" and not a defect as far as the Industrial Designers and manufacturers are concerned, but I don't think the public agrees with them.

[quote name='donssword']Nope -- Nintendo's Wavebird does the same thing. It is awkward, and forces you not to push the stick all the way to the sides.

Its actually a design "feature" and not a defect as far as the Industrial Designers and manufacturers are concerned, but I don't think the public agrees with them.[/QUOTE]

No it doesn't. The regular wavebirds allow you to press the analogs into the correct directions. Just look at the comparison pictures and you'll see he's talking about the different gates. Although both controllers feature the same shaped gates, the 3rd party controller has their gate rotated in such a way that doesn't make any logical sense.

Thanks for the heads up. I got in on this yesterday and now I am on the hunt for all the good gamecube games I missed out on because I never picked one up.

[quote name='hmbtnguy']No it doesn't. The regular wavebirds allow you to press the analogs into the correct directions. Just look at the comparison pictures and you'll see he's talking about the different gates. Although both controllers feature the same shaped gates, the 3rd party controller has their gate rotated in such a way that doesn't make any logical sense.[/QUOTE]

Exactly... donssword (and others who may be considering this) should take a look at this:

Here is a real Wavebird. Notice that the *points* in the frame (or gate) are placed at useful angles (variants of 90 and 45) that allow the player to move in logical ways (i.e. straight forward or left and right). This is because the octagon is oriented vertically rather than horizontally, that is *not* like a stop sign.

picture.php

Here is the knockoff Wavebird. Notice that the points do not come to useful angles, and instead come to variants of 60 and 15 degrees (I believe... I haven't busted out a protractor to check). What this gives you is really imprecise movements, without the freedom of a frame (or gate) that is fully circular. It's really the worst possible solution.

picture.php

And, in top of that... notice how huge the wireless adapter is. There is no way you're going to be able to use 4 controllers at once with one of those beasts plugged in.

d45b81b0c8a01b4e90059110.L.jpg

That said, buy it if you so desire, but know that there is a reason it's selling for $10.

I actually hate the angles on the GameCube controllers because I don't like the locking at all. The only controller I have grown to dislike more over the years is the original Dreamcast one.

If I wanted to go wireless with the Cube, then I would buy these and get used to it. For the Wavebird's subpar functionality (compared to a wired controller), they are too expensive. If Nintendo was not so insistent on distancing the Wii from a "normal" control scheme without the Wiimote, then by now, we would have battery pack or rechargeable Wavebirds.

[quote name='WiiShopChannels']anyone know where I can get cheap Triple A Rechargable Batteries with a charger? I need them for the controller.[/QUOTE]

Duracell RC Batteries

A 'good' charger.

Sony Batteries & Charger $16

[quote name='opportunity777']I actually hate the angles on the GameCube controllers because I don't like the locking at all. The only controller I have grown to dislike more over the years is the original Dreamcast one.[/QUOTE]

To each his own. But personally, I love the locking of Nintendo's sticks. Thanks to zenintrude for pointing out that this particular knock-off lacks that particular feature.

Is there such a thing as a serviceable third-party Wavebird substitute? Or am I stuck spending $75+ on a new first-party controller, or else settling for a used one?

[quote name='opportunity777']If I wanted to go wireless with the Cube, then I would buy these and get used to it. For the Wavebird's subpar functionality (compared to a wired controller), they are too expensive. If Nintendo was not so insistent on distancing the Wii from a "normal" control scheme without the Wiimote, then by now, we would have battery pack or rechargeable Wavebirds.
[/QUOTE]

Wavebird was subpar? If I'm not mistaken it was the greatest and first controller to get wireless right. It also has a super long battery life and had a more heavy duty build than the wired gamecube controllers. The controller was also roughly $34 MSRP (although it was normally found cheaper); how is this price any more expensive than a 360 or ps3 controller? The only thing it lacked was rumble, but other than that it was the perfect controller and set the standard for all other wireless controllers.

[quote name='hmbtnguy']Wavebird was subpar? If I'm not mistaken it was the greatest and first controller to get wireless right. It also has a super long battery life and had a more heavy duty build than the wired gamecube controllers. The controller was also roughly $34 MSRP (although it was normally found cheaper); how is this price any more expensive than a 360 or ps3 controller? The only thing it lacked was rumble, but other than that it was the perfect controller and set the standard for all other wireless controllers.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is subpar.

[quote name='opportunity777']Yes, it is subpar.[/QUOTE]
I hate to go off topic, especially because this seems like a blantant trolling. How exactly was the Wavebird subpar? I mean you can't state that like it's a fact, because it's not. That is in fact your opinion! Now, I want to hear your argument on why the Wavebird is subpar. In my experiences the build quality of Wavebirds are superior to wired controller, especially in the directional stick. Wired Gamecube controllers were prone to ghosting, and just don't last; much like N64 controllers. Sure, the Wavebird has no rumble but that wasn't exactly a MUST HAVE feature to begin with. Nowadays, rumble is just kinda...there...I haven't seen it implemented properly since Ocarina of Time, which used like a rumble stone or something to let you know when an item/secret was nearby.

[quote name='hmbtnguy']Wavebird was subpar? If I'm not mistaken it was the greatest and first controller to get wireless right. It also has a super long battery life and had a more heavy duty build than the wired gamecube controllers. The controller was also roughly $34 MSRP (although it was normally found cheaper); how is this price any more expensive than a 360 or ps3 controller? The only thing it lacked was rumble, but other than that it was the perfect controller and set the standard for all other wireless controllers.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Ragnorok64']How?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Mikko']I hate to go off topic, especially because this seems like a blantant trolling. How exactly was the Wavebird subpar? I mean you can't state that like it's a fact, because it's not. That is in fact your opinion! Now, I want to hear your argument on why the Wavebird is subpar. In my experiences the build quality of Wavebirds are superior to wired controller, especially in the directional stick. Wired Gamecube controllers were prone to ghosting, and just don't last; much like N64 controllers. Sure, the Wavebird has no rumble but that wasn't exactly a MUST HAVE feature to begin with. Nowadays, rumble is just kinda...there...I haven't seen it implemented properly since Ocarina of Time, which used like a rumble stone or something to let you know when an item/secret was nearby.[/QUOTE]

(not directed towards mokmoof)

If you hate going off-topic, then stop getting your panties in a knot. You folks are hilarious. Really.

I stated an opinion. I'm not going to list reasons because I don't care enough. I feel like I'm on a Wii game forum on GameFAQs. God forbid any one writes or says something negative about Nintendo. :roll:

Thanks for the deal! I just fired up the Wii again yesterday after a long dry spell to play Eternal Darkness, and was wishing I had a decent wireless with rumble (as opposed to my used Wavebird, which is great but the control stick occasionally does weird things, and of course has no rumble).

[quote name='opportunity777'](not directed towards mokmoof)

If you hate going off-topic, then stop getting your panties in a knot. You folks are hilarious. Really.

I stated an opinion. I'm not going to list reasons because I don't care enough. I feel like I'm on a Wii game forum on GameFAQs. God forbid any one writes or says something negative about Nintendo. :roll:[/QUOTE]
You have cancer.

For the price of one used Wavebird I got two brand new ones (off brand). If they suck they suck but rumble is kind of worth it to me.

And since when did the Gamecube actually have a good controller anyways?

[quote name='opportunity777'](not directed towards mokmoof)

I stated an opinion. I'm not going to list reasons because I don't care enough. I feel like I'm on a Wii game forum on GameFAQs. God forbid any one writes or says something negative about Nintendo. :roll:[/QUOTE]

The only one in this conversation who sounds like he's fresh off the boat from GameFAQs is you my friend. If you think the Wavebird is subpar that's all well and good but don't go stating your opinion like it's fact when you're too lazy to list your reasons. Especially when your arguing against people who are actually backing up their opinions.

Anyway as I don't recall does anyone know how long it takes Buy to send out a confirmation e-mail? The charge shows up on my PayPal account but I've to get an order confirmation or a shipping confirmation from Buy.

[quote name='PvtChurch']The only one in this conversation who sounds like he's fresh off the boat from GameFAQs is you my friend. If you think the Wavebird is subpar that's all well and good but don't go stating your opinion like it's fact when you're too lazy to list your reasons. Especially when your arguing against people who are actually backing up their opinions.

Anyway as I don't recall does anyone know how long it takes Buy to send out a confirmation e-mail? The charge shows up on my PayPal account but I've to get an order confirmation or a shipping confirmation from Buy.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I didn't start an 'argument,' nor am I continuing any 'argument.' They did that all on their own and so are you; like a dog chasing its own tail.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']You have cancer.[/QUOTE]

Cool.

Lots of children on the Nintendo boards and threads these days.

[quote name='PvtChurch']
Anyway as I don't recall does anyone know how long it takes Buy to send out a confirmation e-mail? The charge shows up on my PayPal account but I've to get an order confirmation or a shipping confirmation from Buy.[/QUOTE]

took like 3+ hours on saturday.
received UPS shipping notification yesterday
received buy.com marketplace shipping confirmation today.

Thanks for this, just getting one for now. If it's good I'll get more, even at 20 bucks. Just want to try it out, and see if it makes me play some GC games again thanks to beign wireless. The GC wires were/are far too short.

The wavebird is an amazing wireless controller... I own two and have had zero problems with them for the 3-4 years or more i've owned them. I did buy one of those Shockwaves though. I would like another Smash bros controller and they look way more comfortable than wavebirds (tho i didn't think wavebirds were too bad in that department).

Just want to inform all to check your credit card. I used paypal and my order is supposed to be $10.91 including tax with free shipping but my card is charged $27.66. I just emailed buy.com to find out what's up... waiting for their response.

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']Just want to inform all to check your credit card. I used paypal and my order is supposed to be $10.91 including tax with free shipping but my card is charged $27.66. I just emailed buy.com to find out what's up... waiting for their response.[/QUOTE]

Good heads up. I checked my PayPal as soon as I saw this and they only charged me 9.99, so it looks like I'm good.

It's showing up as $12.99 for me ... still tempting, but not as tempting as $9.99. Hopefully it drops again :)

Nice, I'll be ordering one next week, or if it goes back down to $9.99.

It's been a while since I used the wavebird but I thought it did have rumble. Is it true that it does not?

Here's a great review from Amazon:

Die Hard Wavebirder LOVES THIS ONE!

I missed the rumble feature of the wired controllers when I went wireless on the wavebird. This shockwave controller is made of tougher high quality plastics that feel good in your hands and the angles of the handles suits me BETTER than the wavebird AND I got my rumble back... I sold the high priced bird. I would get more of these and you should too.

There is definitly no rumble in the wavebird. I remember buying one right when they came out and thinking they were the greatest thing ever till I realized there was no rumble. I eventually didn't even remember it anymore till I got my Xbox and Halo. There is so much rumble on that game.

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']Just want to inform all to check your credit card. I used paypal and my order is supposed to be $10.91 including tax with free shipping but my card is charged $27.66. I just emailed buy.com to find out what's up... waiting for their response.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the warning. My credit card only shows a $9.99 charge, so it sounds like you might have been the victim of a one-off mistake. Hope they get it fixed for you quick.

anyone's shipping slow ? This place is pretty close to my house, and I ordered it over a week ago, and it still hasn't gotten here.

My controller shipped out on Wednesday and should take anywhere from 4-14 days to arrive. I'll post when I've received it...

Just got mine. Haven't tested it but here's my initial impression

Pros:
It feels pretty comfortable overall. There are some burs on some of the embroidered writing. The buttons have a nice tactile feel. The Sticks feel good. Everything is a little bigger such as the dpad and analog sticks making this a little better for adults.
Cons:
Just a heads up it takes 3 AAA batteries. Bottom is flat and middle finger placement is awkward.

Not bad for $10.

Got both my last night ... for the price it's works fine. Ordered Tues arrived Thur but I'm only 10 miles from origin point.

Got mine yesterday -- so far, so good. The buttons are a bit clickier than the Wavebird, but the sticks feel right. It actually feels more comfortable in my (fairly large) hands than the WB does. I had a problem for a little while with hitting the "Connect" button when I was going for the "Start/Pause" button that's right above it, but that passed fairly quickly.

It claims 100 hours battery life on 3xAAA, and it sleeps after 2 minutes, so we'll see how that works out.

One question for the folks who bought two -- any issues putting the receivers in adjacent controller ports on the Wii? Despite the bulkiness of the receiver, it looks like they should just barely fit side-by-side. The plug on the receiver is off-center to the left, though, which means that if I've got the receiver in port 1, I can't fit the WB receiver in port 2. (It might work the other way around, though -- didn't think to try that.)

I'm liking it well enough that I may just sell my WB and order another one of these things, even though they're up to $12.99 at last check.

Where are mine? Hell, the Rock Band cymbals I ordered in the sale got here yesterday and I am still waiting on these?

Edit:Can't spell.

Got mine, works fine with Gamecube games, but doesn't recognize it for the Virtual SNES/64 games, anyone else having this problem? Do I need to have the sensor in port 1 or something?

Overall, it's good for the price. The wavebird is more comfortable for me, but I'm sure people have different preferences. The only problem I had with it is that the c-stick didn't register while I was playing Super Smash Brothers Brawl. I haven't really tried it with any other game yet, but it certainly works.

The analog stick has the same problem as that c-stick in PN03. Disappointing. So much so that I'm gonna open it up and sand it down to a circle. It really makes that game a pain to play since it needs the most extremes to turn and walk forward at the same time. Requires way too much conscious thought to get it to work right and even then it won't work right every time.

I wish Nintendo would re-release the Wavebird w/ Rumble or allow for use of Wii controllers on GC games on the Wii.

[quote name='eau']Is the apparently oversized transceiver plugged in ok on a Wii when you use multiple of them?[/QUOTE]

IDK, I got mine today. If it's a problem I may pick up a cheap gamecube controller extension cable. I don't plan on using more than 2 at a time, but you never know.

bread's done
Back