ALIVE!!! WaveBird Clone (Shockwave) $8.99 shipped! wireless + rumble Wii & Gamecube

h3llbring3r

CAGiversary!
Feedback
58 (100%)

ALIVE AGAIN!

Update 9/18 white version now available for $8.99 shipped:
http://www.buy.com/prod/wii-gamecube-2-4ghz-shockwave-wireless-controller-white/q/loc/108/211532777.html

Buy.com marketplace ships free from GamezForLess

I have no idea about the quality (Amazon reviews are very positive, where it sells for $24.99):
211144692.jpg

Ad copy:
Sad that the Wavebird Wireless controller is a part of ancient history? Well rejoice with the new Shock-Wave Wii & Gamecube Wireless Controller! This Wii controller is modeled after the Nintendo Wavebird & supports all Gamecube games as well as Wii Games. So if you're into Smash Bros or just want to get a grip on a physical controller for the Wii then the 2.4GHz Shock-Wave is for you! This controller features 2.4 GHz technology for ultimate range, not to mention a rumble feature. The ergonomic design, and pressure sensitive trigger buttons only make it that much sweeter.

Features

• Wireless controller and receiver combo
  • Extremely high quality wireless controller for Gamecube - will not break or lose connectivity.
  • Fully compatible with Nintendo Wii
  • Operation frequency: 2.44 GHZ. Batteries yield up to 100 hours of gameplay
  • Controller features shock vibration along with the standard analog & trigger buttons
  • Tight joystick for superior control
  • Works with 4 player compatible games: supports four channels at the same time
Manufacturer: PHANTIQ
Format:
Wii
Mfg Part#:
PQ-W-1194UPC: 00892044001194
Buy.com Sku: 211144692
Item#:
G276R6

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='eau']Is the apparently oversized transceiver plugged in ok on a Wii when you use multiple of them?[/QUOTE]
Yes, multiple receivers can fit beside one another.

[quote name='zenintrude']Exactly... donssword (and others who may be considering this) should take a look at this:

Here is a real Wavebird. Notice that the *points* in the frame (or gate) are placed at useful angles (variants of 90 and 45) that allow the player to move in logical ways (i.e. straight forward or left and right). This is because the octagon is oriented vertically rather than horizontally, that is *not* like a stop sign.
picture.php

Here is the knockoff Wavebird. Notice that the points do not come to useful angles, and instead come to variants of 60 and 15 degrees (I believe... I haven't busted out a protractor to check). What this gives you is really imprecise movements, without the freedom of a frame (or gate) that is fully circular. It's really the worst possible solution.

picture.php

And, in top of that... notice how huge the wireless adapter is. There is no way you're going to be able to use 4 controllers at once with one of those beasts plugged in.

d45b81b0c8a01b4e90059110.L.jpg
That said, buy it if you so desire, but know that there is a reason it's selling for $10.[/QUOTE]Thanks for the pics, zen. That makes a big difference.

For $12.99 (today's price) this is a very good Wavebird knock-off. I've had mine for about a week now, no complaints. It also worked fine on the Wii version of Mario Kart. For the 1st time in years, I dusted off Eternal Darkness and Res Evil 0 for the GC. It may not be as perfect as a brand new Wavebird (astronomically priced now, just check Ebay), but it beats the crapshoot of purchasing a used Wavebird @ $35-$40 from GS or some other shop. This is really a case where the product is a good deal for the price IMO, I think it's priced low just because it is from a no-name company, but that doesn't mean it's junk. I only wish the $12.99 deal was in white to match all the other Wii periphs, rather than silver.....

[quote name='Nameless One']... So much so that I'm gonna open it up and sand it down to a circle. It really makes that game a pain to play since it needs the most extremes to turn and walk forward at the same time. Requires way too much conscious thought to get it to work right and even then it won't work right every time.[/QUOTE]

Let me know how that goes. I really dislike the octagon, on the Wavebird and everything else.

Your right with PN03--running with an octagon, even with a Wavebird, is a complete pain in the ass.

Well i tried one of mine out on Smash Bros, and it totally sucked! I couldn't mortar slide with Snake to save my life, as the C-stick was rather lacking in responsiveness.

For anyone not familiar with this controller: Don't expect a 100% AAA grade first party experience. It has it's flaws but works fine or casual gaming. If you play your Wii as I do you'll like it fine, it is certainly priced right. Just don't expect to win any Smash Brothers tourneys with it.

Read through the thread and take the accolades and criticisms both with a grain of salt- but most are valid points.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']For anyone not familiar with this controller: Don't expect a 100% AAA grade first party experience. It has it's flaws but works fine or casual gaming. If you play your Wii as I do you'll like it fine, it is certainly priced right. Just don't expect to win any Smash Brothers tourneys with it.

Read through the thread and take the accolades and criticisms both with a grain of salt- but most are valid points.[/QUOTE]
I got it to play RE 1 and Code veronica, and a few other games. Do you think I will be alright?

I bought one of these a few months ago and was very pleased with it. I used it everyday for about a month straight and had no problems with it, yet when I started using it today after 2 months of having it stored away for some reason the analog stick was messed up. When I try to go right for some reason the character/cursor would move left first before going right, and when I just gently put my thumb on the stick it automatically moves the character/cursor all the way to the left.

I've ALWAYS had problems with the analog stick(s) on every 3rd party controller I've ever purchased for any of my systems within days of purchase, so when I was able to play for so long without any problem with this one I thought I'd finally purchased a quality product, but as it turns out I was wrong once again...

Great deal OP. And thanks for the pics. My hands are on the big side so I've always had some difficulty with many of the controllers out there.

[quote name='cheapndirty']I got it to play RE 1 and Code veronica, and a few other games. Do you think I will be alright?[/QUOTE]
Oh yea, I think that is what something like this is ideal for. It's pulling off precise timed combos or something like that which might prove frustrating with it.

[quote name='Vector']I bought one of these a few months ago and was very pleased with it. I used it everyday for about a month straight and had no problems with it, yet when I started using it today after 2 months of having it stored away for some reason the analog stick was messed up. When I try to go right for some reason the character/cursor would move left first before going right, and when I just gently put my thumb on the stick it automatically moves the character/cursor all the way to the left.[/QUOTE]

Interesting -- I just picked up mine again after a month or two not using it, and the analog stick is definitely pulling to the left when it should be centered. It used to do it occasionally, but it's a lot more consistent now. I'm beginning to think I might as well just pick up a wired GC controller cheap, maybe with an extension cable (since I'm playing on a 60" TV).

Loved the controller at first, but this problem is kind of a killer.

bread's done
Back