All Game Crazys Are Closing

stonetoad

CAG Veteran
Found this on my local Craigslist.

Bend Game Crazy Closing: First and foremost, a heartfelt and whole hearted "Thank You" to Central Oregon for choosing us for the past 6 years. In approx. two weeks ALL Game Crazy and Hollywood Video stores will be entering liquidation. As the store manager, and employee since (almost) inception till the last day I wanted to thank all the many, many, many people who have been like our extended family. You have made a job a 2nd home. We will miss all of your faces and down to earth kindness. We have always striven to be your "neighborhood" game store and provide you with excellent customer service and I feel we have done a pretty good job. Your loyalty has inspired us to provide you with the best possible experiences when in our store (CoDMW2 Midnight Launch chest flasher, HALO 3 Megaline around the store, Super Smash Bros. Tourneys and many many more). You have made the long waits till midnight launches and the 4AM Black Fridays well worth it. I also thank the many employees who have been with us over the years, the part time seasonals to the full timers who have moved on. We wish to see your faces all one last time before we close that gate for the final time. So come on down, pick up that game you've been wanting or just come down and shoot the breeze with Dan, Cody, Chris or myself. We would love to see you and say thank you and goodbye.

Bend Game Crazy Store Director,
Glenn J.

Bend Game Crazy Shift Leads (and a better group of employees than I could wish for),
Cody J. & Dan H. & Chris M.

P.S. As I'm sure many of you have some questions I'll try to answer what I know here and save our phone (and sanity) from blowing up.

Q. I have deposits on preorders, credit on my account, a gift card to GC and Hollywood. What do I do?
A. All cash deposits can be refunded for cash or used towards a purchase. All credit deposits/trade credits must be used up, credit is not transferable to cash. I recommend using your gift cards as there wont be any other location to use it at.

Q. Are you still taking preorders?
A. No, we will no longer be taking preorders on future titles, nor offering the MVP membership, offering game guard or console service contracts.

Q. What if I purchased one of those things?
A. Preorders see answer to the first question, as for MVP's and game guard I assume those will be unrefundable. In the case of service contracts I am unsure at this time how the company will handle them. I will have more information after my conference call on Monday.

Q. Are you still taking trades?
A. Yep, most definitely, however, we are no longer doing cash for trades. We still guarantee the best trade price in town and if we come in lower we'll top our competitor by 5% as always. But, if it wasn't obvious, you'll want to use that credit same day.

Q. What/When are your liquidation sales?
A. The sales wont start until the liquidation firms finish bidding on the company's assets *apx. 2 weeks. As for what the sales will be I couldn't tell you at this time. However expect by the time they begin some of our stock may have been shipped out, and expect much of the "better stuff" to go fairly quickly, so don't expect the good/decent/rare(er) games to last past the first or second weeks. Moral of the story, best to just come buy it now rather than try to wait for it to hit bottom dollar pricing as it wont be in stock then.

Q. What do you guys have in stock?
A. Honestly, everything up to date including a few Splinter Cell Elite 360 and Bowsers Inside Story DSI bundles. We have a pretty awesome selection of used games right now (I raided one of the Eugene stores that absorbed a lot of product from another closing store a few weeks ago so we have a lot of hot stuff in). A bunch of refurbished Wii's for $150, a ton of refurbished 360's $160-250 and a bunch of new consoles/handhelds as well.

Q. So what now?
A. We are kicking around a few ideas about a Store Closing BBQ when all is said and done and we'd really love to have anyone who has been a regular or has a fond memory to come down and write it down or sign on the store banner. We might also practice moonwalking and juggling and putting a video on YouTube, we'll see. :)

THANK YOU CENTRAL OREGON, YOU'VE MADE IT AWESOME!

Eh, looks like the 2 Hollywood Videos near me closed sometime while I was in college, or at least according to the online store locator.

[quote name='dustdust']Most stores have already closed in Northern Cali :([/QUOTE]

There are still 6 left.
Stores in Santa Rosa, San Jose, Cameron Park, Madera, and 2 in Fresno, are still open. The first 4 are all considered to be Northern California, while the Fresno stores could be considered Central California.

Cameron Park should only be about 29 miles from you. I think that's worth a drive.

i may know a date by later tonight, but all stores got their liquidation signs in either yesterday or today. everything should start within a week.

and for those of you asking about percentages, don't be stupid. it usually starts at 10% or 20% off and gets higher every week.

most stores start tomorrow. no idea on percentages. in a twist, new releases will be for sale at the beginning. this will be a fast close. i'm expecting four weeks instead of the previously mentioned eight to ten.

Scorch what were the newest new releases that were actually received by the company? Did they stop in the last week or two?

EDIT: Also, thanks for all you've done to contribute to the Gamescrazy threads.

Mine says they start Monday at 10% off new games and 20% off used. I'll probably wait until later that week, when they should drop it further.

[quote name='reallydude']Mine says they start Monday at 10% off new games and 20% off used. I'll probably wait until later that week, when they should drop it further.[/QUOTE]

Think I am going to do the same. Closest gamecrazy is about 30 mins away, but its on the way to my moms house who lives an hour from me. I have to go out Sunday anyways to visit with the family, so seems like it might be a good day to go. Hopefully at that point since its been a week they are not TOO picked over but at the same time prices have dropped further then 20%.

[quote name='reallydude']Mine says they start Monday at 10% off new games and 20% off used. I'll probably wait until later that week, when they should drop it further.[/QUOTE]

10% basically like takes the tax. better than nothing i guess. I have a couple i know i need to get right away but there is about 3-4 that i will wait till about 30-40 off.

the last games that were ordered by the company were super street fighter iv, iron man 2 and dead to rights retribution

My Gamecrazy left town with the Hollywood Video almost half a year ago. For such a tiny location I was actually surprised how much they stuffed in it. Good memories.

Mine as well, I cleaned up during that Dreamcast sale on alot of rare complete games and filled up on alot of original XBOX games. I was going to haul it to the Eastside one last time. I still hold DieHard Gamer stores close to my heart..Sigh...

Very sad to see Game Crazy go. I've had some awesome memories with them. It's been a great ride.

It's too bad they did not order any RDR copies.

I'm planning on hitting up the last one in my area tomorrow at 10AM sharp. They have a MGS4 LE guide that I want even if the discount is only 10%.(I'm hoping for 30% for accessories, including guides)

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']I'll have to crawl out of bed early tomorrow!!! Shit'll be suh-WEET...if they in fact do start the liquidation. :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]

I called the one I'm going to tomorrow morning to confirm both the liquidation starting tomorrow and the opening time.

Hey can those of you getting up early and going tomorrow post what kind of deals/prices you are seeing? As I have said before the closest store to me is more then 30 mins away so I am debating if its worth it to go when the deals are still in the 10% off area. If others are getting decent prices tomorrow I may run out there after work instead of waiting a week or more.

[quote name='dabamus']I'll try to throw up a post from my mobile command center(my laptop) if I find a Mickey Dees or Panera.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, much appreciated if you can!

Also, in my trade thread(linked in my sig, or in the CML icon below my avatar) I am taking requests for display cases since I'm going hog wild tomorrow morning.(assuming I haul my cheap-lazy ass out of bed:p)

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']I'll have to crawl out of bed early tomorrow!!! Shit'll be suh-WEET...if they in fact do start the liquidation. :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]

what? how will it be "suh-WEET"? It'll be 10%, maybe 20% off. Are you really that excited about saving a couple dollars?

I called the one I'm going to tomorrow morning to confirm both the liquidation starting tomorrow and the opening time.

I've heard that the liquidation start is company wide tomorrow morning.

I will be posting what GC's discounts are.

I know what most Hollywood Video's starting prices are and they aren't good. They're stopping rentals as of tonight except to Powerplay customers with remaining credits. AFAIK, Hollywood's starting off with:

$14.99 new release DVD's
$9.99 core collection DVD's
$24.99 new release Blu's
$16.99 core collection Blu's
20% off concessions (candy, drinks)
30% off novelty
Games are individually priced, but most will be listed for whatever GC sells it for used. I don't know if there's a percentage off of them, but if there is, it'll be 10%.

again, that may be YMMV, but that's what I'm hearing. I'll post if/when I find out GC's pricing structure. I wouldn't expect anything spectacular.

And to those asking - it is not the same company that has been doing the other closings. Gordon Brothers aren't even in the picture. This is an all new group of liquidators so I have no clue how they're going to do things.

Thanks again, Scorch. Won't be holding my breath but just intending to use up the remaining GC credit. Too bad about the black Wii. I still have to shell out about $100+ cash for it anyway since I don't have too much credit to begin with, but now I'll probably just get it tax free from Amazon and use the GC credit towards games.

Scorch, do you know what the percentage off guides might be?

You'll probably find out tomorrow morning, right? If that's the case, then ignore me since I'll be there at 10AM EST and won't see your post tomorrow morning until it's too late. :p

I'm still waiting. The last time I went in, they didn't mention a sale starting. Those two games I'd brought up earlier in this topic are still there though.

[quote name='dabamus']Scorch, do you know what the percentage off guides might be?

You'll probably find out tomorrow morning, right? If that's the case, then ignore me since I'll be there at 10AM EST and won't see your post tomorrow morning until it's too late. :p[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't know. The liquidator only dealt with Hollywood. He laid out a few bulletpoints for them, but the GC side is a total "wait-and-see". Guides will probably be 10% off. Most guides are $9.99 anyway. The MGS4 LE guide you seek is $14.99 regularly.

ignore me since I'll be there at 10AM EST and won't see your post tomorrow morning until it's too late.

Swing by the thread before heading out, I'll update long before that time and I'll let you know what's going on.

I do know that they didn't take anything out of the stores, so systems are still there.. though in the packets they sent, there was new signage that I hadn't seen at other stores saying "Limited time only! No further discounts!" and room for a picture.. I'm guessing we're going to pull systems out of the cases and put them in the back and display those signs with prices for the systems. That's what they did when Sam Goody went out. I'm not expecting a huge discount on systems.

Santa Rosa, CA Gamecrazy confirmed liquidation to start tomorrow. Just a heads up

Again, I'm pretty sure it's company wide.

Guys, it's been a pleasure bringing you deals. I hope I converted some of you to Game Crazy. I know they weren't the most popular choice due to poorly run stores, but some (most?) of you had managers who had an idea as to what they were doing and ran a pretty decent store. If I can ask you one thing, please, don't be a dick to the employees. This is a highly stressful time for employees. One of my coworkers has been working 60 hours a week, which is a lot considering the store is only open 79 hours a week. All of the stores and employees are spread pretty thin right now, so please, don't be a dick. Don't be surprised if the employees are short with you, too.

And if you hear about any job openings, let me know.. lol

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']So, will Movie Gallery stores still live on? Moviegallery.com still lists this whole thing as a restructuring, so I'm wondering if Movie Gallery lives.[/QUOTE]

Movie Gallery owns everything. Movie Gallery, Hollywood Video and Game Crazy are done. Movie Gallery and Hollywood Video in Canada will live on, but the US stores are done. The restructuring thing is old - the company is done.

Oh, yeah, I knew they were the parent company. Didn't know those brand of stores were biting the dust (of course, AZ only has like 1-2 Movie Gallery stores anyway)

Too bad. I guess this helps Play and Trade. And obviously Gamestop. Blockbuster too, which I actually hope sticks around because their B1G1 is pretty ace.

[quote name='Lord Darkstorn']Santa Rosa, CA Gamecrazy confirmed liquidation to start tomorrow. Just a heads up :D[/QUOTE]

Damn. I talk to to the manager of game crazy a week ago saying that it might start liquidating soon. He's a real cool dude too. He was the reason why I kept going there before all hell broke loose nationwide.

[quote name='Scorch']discount is 20% off software, hardware and accessories.[/QUOTE]

Damn.....I may have to go tonight. 30+ mins away but 20% off a PS3 = a little over $250 after tax. Any news on how prices will drop further? Like are they taking 10% off a week or 15% or every few days just adding 5% or what?

Whelp, I have set up camp in panera for about 30 minutes until they open. :D

Then I shall go to town!

Scorch, any idea how much display cases are going to be?
Thanks!

[quote name='dabamus']Early duck gets the worm![/QUOTE]

I know I know! But you cant be the early duck when the wife has to take the car to work!

Too bad it's that far away. Else I would suggest bicycle. You could always find a cheapass friend to give you a ride. :p

display cases? theres no price for display cases. they arent in our system. whatever your store charges i guess. good luck on the ps3, very few stores in the company have them anymore.

Just came back from a HWV. The new release games (Borderlands and Dirt 2 are still considered new releases) weren't for sale yet and NOTHING had prices. I took three things to the register, Vesperia and Fallout 3 both rang up as $20 after discount and bioshock came up as $12 after discount. Picked up Bioshock and Polarium for DS new for $18 after tax.

Scorch any idea how or if they will discount things like Nintendo points, MS Points, or PSN cards?

Thanks for all you have done over the years Scorch.

Yeah....I guess I did not think about the fact that the PS3 is sold out everwhere and gamecrazy probaly has not got new shipments recently. I guess I should def call before I go out *smacks himself for not having thought of that earlier*

[quote name='EvilIA']Scorch any idea how or if they will discount things like Nintendo points, MS Points, or PSN cards?

Thanks for all you have done over the years Scorch.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, those would be some more sweet finds! Even 20% off of a PSN card is hella awesome. Just called and there is no PS3 in stock ;( I will hold off on going out till I hear back from others and see if there are some decent deals to be found or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told 10/$1 when I went in, but they weren't doing the liquidation til later today because the liquidator hadn't been by yet to teach them how to do it. >..

bread's done
Back