All Game Crazys Are Closing

stonetoad

CAG Veteran
Found this on my local Craigslist.

Bend Game Crazy Closing: First and foremost, a heartfelt and whole hearted "Thank You" to Central Oregon for choosing us for the past 6 years. In approx. two weeks ALL Game Crazy and Hollywood Video stores will be entering liquidation. As the store manager, and employee since (almost) inception till the last day I wanted to thank all the many, many, many people who have been like our extended family. You have made a job a 2nd home. We will miss all of your faces and down to earth kindness. We have always striven to be your "neighborhood" game store and provide you with excellent customer service and I feel we have done a pretty good job. Your loyalty has inspired us to provide you with the best possible experiences when in our store (CoDMW2 Midnight Launch chest flasher, HALO 3 Megaline around the store, Super Smash Bros. Tourneys and many many more). You have made the long waits till midnight launches and the 4AM Black Fridays well worth it. I also thank the many employees who have been with us over the years, the part time seasonals to the full timers who have moved on. We wish to see your faces all one last time before we close that gate for the final time. So come on down, pick up that game you've been wanting or just come down and shoot the breeze with Dan, Cody, Chris or myself. We would love to see you and say thank you and goodbye.

Bend Game Crazy Store Director,
Glenn J.

Bend Game Crazy Shift Leads (and a better group of employees than I could wish for),
Cody J. & Dan H. & Chris M.

P.S. As I'm sure many of you have some questions I'll try to answer what I know here and save our phone (and sanity) from blowing up.

Q. I have deposits on preorders, credit on my account, a gift card to GC and Hollywood. What do I do?
A. All cash deposits can be refunded for cash or used towards a purchase. All credit deposits/trade credits must be used up, credit is not transferable to cash. I recommend using your gift cards as there wont be any other location to use it at.

Q. Are you still taking preorders?
A. No, we will no longer be taking preorders on future titles, nor offering the MVP membership, offering game guard or console service contracts.

Q. What if I purchased one of those things?
A. Preorders see answer to the first question, as for MVP's and game guard I assume those will be unrefundable. In the case of service contracts I am unsure at this time how the company will handle them. I will have more information after my conference call on Monday.

Q. Are you still taking trades?
A. Yep, most definitely, however, we are no longer doing cash for trades. We still guarantee the best trade price in town and if we come in lower we'll top our competitor by 5% as always. But, if it wasn't obvious, you'll want to use that credit same day.

Q. What/When are your liquidation sales?
A. The sales wont start until the liquidation firms finish bidding on the company's assets *apx. 2 weeks. As for what the sales will be I couldn't tell you at this time. However expect by the time they begin some of our stock may have been shipped out, and expect much of the "better stuff" to go fairly quickly, so don't expect the good/decent/rare(er) games to last past the first or second weeks. Moral of the story, best to just come buy it now rather than try to wait for it to hit bottom dollar pricing as it wont be in stock then.

Q. What do you guys have in stock?
A. Honestly, everything up to date including a few Splinter Cell Elite 360 and Bowsers Inside Story DSI bundles. We have a pretty awesome selection of used games right now (I raided one of the Eugene stores that absorbed a lot of product from another closing store a few weeks ago so we have a lot of hot stuff in). A bunch of refurbished Wii's for $150, a ton of refurbished 360's $160-250 and a bunch of new consoles/handhelds as well.

Q. So what now?
A. We are kicking around a few ideas about a Store Closing BBQ when all is said and done and we'd really love to have anyone who has been a regular or has a fond memory to come down and write it down or sign on the store banner. We might also practice moonwalking and juggling and putting a video on YouTube, we'll see. :)

THANK YOU CENTRAL OREGON, YOU'VE MADE IT AWESOME!

Still no word on the drop to 40%? I'm waiting til at least then to use my credit. Even if I miss everything good, I won't mind picking up old 360 games for real cheap.

sigh.

[quote name='skateraXVIII']I think they actually raised the prices though on some games, because they had Marvel Ultimate Alliance :xbox: for $18.99 (before 20% off).[/QUOTE]

Again, NO ONE RAISES THE PRICE OF ANYTHING. Marvel Ultimate Alliance NEW for the original XBox has been listed at $18.99 for a long, long time. If a game's MSRP has fallen very recently, I seriously doubt the price will get lowered at GC or HWV due to the liquidation.

Still no word on the drop to 40%? I'm waiting til at least then to use my credit. Even if I miss everything good, I won't mind picking up old 360 games for real cheap.

Vultures, vultures, vultures..

No, there's no word on a drop to 40%. FFS, they haven't even dropped it to 30% off yet.

Haha, sorry Scorch. For some reason I was thinking the next drop was 40. I was just wondering since I hadn't seen a post from you in a few days. You're pretty much the only person I look to for GC info. Thanks for all your work over the years.

Scorch, while we are on the subject of prices for games (I'm not referring to liqudation), how come Gamecrazy never dropped the prices for older games when everyone else did? I mean they did sometimes, but even the other day, I saw Dead Space for $29.99 new when the game is $19.99 new at GS & Wal-Mart.

[quote name='SanjiX']Scorch, while we are on the subject of prices for games (I'm not referring to liqudation), how come Gamecrazy never dropped MSRP's for older games when everyone else did? I mean they did sometimes, but even the other day, I saw Dead Space for $29.99 new when the game is $19.99 new at GS & Wal-Mart.[/QUOTE]

This brings me to MY question to YOU - when you see a price that you don't think is accurate, why do you take it for face value and not ask them to check it? Dead Space dropped to $19.99 new literally two days before GS and Wal-Mart dropped it (I remember this vividly because I had been waiting for it to drop to $20 before picking it up).

The game IS $19.99 new, $17.99 used. Ask people to check prices next time you're in a store. They just never updated the sticker for whatever reason.

[quote name='Scorch']This brings me to MY question to YOU - when you see a price that you don't think is accurate, why do you take it for face value and not ask them to check it? Dead Space dropped to $19.99 new literally two days before GS and Wal-Mart dropped it (I remember this vividly because I had been waiting for it to drop to $20 before picking it up).

The game IS $19.99 new, $17.99 used. Ask people to check prices next time you're in a store. They just never updated the sticker for whatever reason.[/QUOTE]

Well, I already own Dead Space. A friend of my just brought it up (he also owns it as well) so I didn't ask.

How dumb is that? They try to liquidate everything including shelves and racks but keep the strategy guides?

[quote name='Scorch']sigh.

Again, NO ONE RAISES THE PRICE OF ANYTHING. Marvel Ultimate Alliance NEW for the original XBox has been listed at $18.99 for a long, long time. If a game's MSRP has fallen very recently, I seriously doubt the price will get lowered at GC or HWV due to the liquidation.

Vultures, vultures, vultures..

No, there's no word on a drop to 40%. FFS, they haven't even dropped it to 30% off yet.[/QUOTE]

You really need to calm the fuck down. Honestly man this is Cheapassgamer....people here are cheap asses and none of us are hounding stores, bugging them about when the prices are going to come down or doing anything else that effects employees or is deserving of you going off the handle the way you have two or three times now. I understand you lost your job, it sucks and we all feel bad for you guys....but it does not give you permission to blow up at people just because they are wondering when the price is going to drop further. So, just calm down and realize these are FORUMS to discuss DEALS. Honestly it is not like we are going in to the store and harassing them every day about price drops....we are discussing online at a site for cheap asses on a board for people looking for deals...when prices might drop or if they seem high. Perfectly normal.

[quote name='eau']How dumb is that? They try to liquidate everything including shelves and racks but keep the strategy guides?[/QUOTE]

I suspect that they made a deal with the publisher to get the money back.

Hi Scorch,

Wondering if you can offer some advice here.

I have one last remaining GC store around my area. At the previous one (which has since closed down), I did not manage to use up my remaining store credit (about $100 left when it closed).

I tried to put that on a gift card before they closed, but was told by the closing store employee that they no longer can do that, but that the unused credit would transfer over to the last remaining store when they close. I'm OK with that, as I frequent both stores regularly. I also called 18-SPEAK-TO-US and got told the same thing, so I left it at that. Cue to present day.

Now, I just came back from the last remaining store where I tried to retrieve the transferred credit. Was told that the credit didn't transfer when I tried to use it, and so I called 18-SPEAK-TO-US while in the store. The person on the phone said he can't find any record of my credit with the closed store either. No amount of explanation on my part helped.

After hanging up the phone, the store assistant then told me that there is a high chance when the other store closed, the store system got taken offline and all records got wiped, so I'm pretty much screwed.

I definitely have the unused store credit, and what I'm not pleased with is that I was misled to think that the store credit would automatically transfer when it didn't.

What can I do to get GC to honor my missing credit? Thanks for your time reading this.

outside of continuing to call that number, i honestly have no idea. the last thing i can think of is ask the store to call tech support and tell the story and see if they can pull it up based on your acct # (the acct # is the phone number you first used to start an account at the other store). Tech has access to files and can verify and add credit to your account if they need to.. but you might be boned :(

I had a similiar problem with them over a year ago. My brother traded in the CE of Halo 2 and after getting to my house he noticed instead of being credited $9 for it he was charged $9 so he was $18 short. After a 10 minute phone call they finally "fixed" it. 3 months later I go there and make a purchase, only to find a couple dollars on my account. Took half an hour of arguing before they finally gave it to me. It was the same person that fucked it up in the first place too. She said I should have came in instead of called to fix it. I had nothing but problems from my nearest GC, bunch of asshats.

Saw a store in my area remove ALL of the guides today off their racks. Said they "are old and can't sell them anymore" Ok? Didn't make much sense to me either. Would have bought some at $5 or so.

My store is holding strong at 20%. They have one of the Beatles guitars high on a rack kind of out of eye shot and I am really wanting to score it at 40% off.

[quote name='MSI Magus']You really need to calm the fuck down. Honestly man this is Cheapassgamer....people here are cheap asses and none of us are hounding stores, bugging them about when the prices are going to come down or doing anything else that effects employees or is deserving of you going off the handle the way you have two or three times now. I understand you lost your job, it sucks and we all feel bad for you guys....but it does not give you permission to blow up at people just because they are wondering when the price is going to drop further. So, just calm down and realize these are FORUMS to discuss DEALS. Honestly it is not like we are going in to the store and harassing them every day about price drops....we are discussing online at a site for cheap asses on a board for people looking for deals...when prices might drop or if they seem high. Perfectly normal.[/QUOTE]

I have posted in this thread multiple times that I will let everyone know when it drops again. People are asking the same question that I've answered four or five times now. I'll admit, I shouldn't fly off the handle like that, but it's very frustrating when I try to bring news to the thread and it's ignored by people who continue to ask the same questions that I've already answered.

Saw a store in my area remove ALL of the guides today off their racks. Said they "are old and can't sell them anymore" Ok? Didn't make much sense to me either. Would have bought some at $5 or so.

^^here we have exhibit A.

I wonder what they're planning to do with the guides.. they sure as hell won't sell themselves sitting in the back.

[quote name='Scorch']I have posted in this thread multiple times that I will let everyone know when it drops again. People are asking the same question that I've answered four or five times now. I'll admit, I shouldn't fly off the handle like that, but it's very frustrating when I try to bring news to the thread and it's ignored by people who continue to ask the same questions that I've already answered.

^^here we have exhibit A.

I wonder what they're planning to do with the guides.. they sure as hell won't sell themselves sitting in the back.[/QUOTE]

Well first off some of the people asking the same questions are people new to the thread and do not know your updating. Second its easy to assume someone could decide to stop updating the thread, or get busy doing something else and update late.

Scorch -- any idea what happens with console warranties that were purchased through GC? I just bought one last year and I'm wondering if it will still be honored if I end up having issues with my 360.

[quote name='daminion']Scorch -- any idea what happens with console warranties that were purchased through GC? I just bought one last year and I'm wondering if it will still be honored if I end up having issues with my 360.[/QUOTE]
This is from my babysitter, so if Scorch has better information then it would be welcome. My friend bought a refurb XBox at the end of December with the warranty. Her audio is starting to show early signs of problems, and she inquired about the warranty considering GameCrazy is liquidating.

She was told to call Microsoft first to see if they would replace it under their warranty, and if they did not then she should call the Corporate Office for GameCrazy for a refund. Microsoft wouldn't do anything for her besides "repairing" for $120 so she called the Corporate Office. What she found out is that the Corporate Office is refunding the Warranty cost only for warranties purchased after February 9th (I think that was the date, correct me if I'm wrong).

my store was at 20% and still had a lot of games...I picked up Watchmen The Complete Experience for PS3 for only $15...i really only want the blu-ray, but i figured i would just grab the combo for a couple extra bucks...I plan on going back in two weeks to see if they have raised the discount to 40%...

[quote name='silvahalo']I spoke with a manager friend of one of the Portland Ore. stores and he said the next drop to 30% will be on Thursday[/QUOTE]

As in next thursday the third of june? Wonder if this counts for the vancouver stores as well. I drive by one almost every day on my way into work.

Here in Madera, CA we have 20-30% off. Whatever the hell that means...
Sucks that psn cards arent on sale...

Last edited by a moderator:
Be nice if one of the mods would edit the OP to reflect the current situation of the liquidation. Would cut down on SOME of the repeat questions at least.

[quote name='Chronis']People don't read the OP. The Reduced Price Guides thread is proof of that.[/QUOTE]

How are we supposed to know the OP is being updated? Most threads couple an updated OP with an update included in the thread's title.

[quote name='eldergamer']As in next thursday the third of june? Wonder if this counts for the vancouver stores as well. I drive by one almost every day on my way into work.[/QUOTE]

yeah the third of june....I assume it's for the vancouver stores as well cause they are all in the same district. He used to work at the Hazel Dell store, that's where I know him from.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']How are we supposed to know the OP is being updated? Most threads couple an updated OP with an update included in the thread's title.[/QUOTE]

Most people will repeat questions that updated in the op, even though it seems eery page there's a post answer the same question. It's impossible for the op is to know the exact % clearance every store has.

I think we need a new FAQ thread so we can prevent repeated questions. Something along the lines of this format would be nice!

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Are all of the guides gone?
A: Yes.

Q: What is the current discount?
A: YMMV. Visit or call your store.

Q: Why is (insert game here) so expensive when it's (blah blah price) everywhere else?
A: Ask an employee to confirm the price, the sticker maybe outdated.
As for stores that are currently liquidating, users should just post the status of the store when they go to it, for example:
Liquidated Stores (the following statuses are fake)
Hagerstown, MD - 20% off (5/22/10)
Frederick, MD - 30% off (5/24/10)
Waynesboro, PA - Closed (5/26/10)
Now we just need an active OP to make a thread like this, and we're good to go!

Well, I stopped back by the Austintown OH HWV/GC today and they still have no pricing for the display cases or the price scanners.

[quote name='daminion']Scorch -- any idea what happens with console warranties that were purchased through GC? I just bought one last year and I'm wondering if it will still be honored if I end up having issues with my 360.[/QUOTE]

The tech support line says that warranties are considered "null and void" if purchased before 2/10. Such bullshit. I still have a warranty that wasn't active yet. Earlier in the week, they retained the option to refund items in our system, but they completely removed warranties from the POS. On Wednesday, they removed the function to refund altogether. If you have a V3RGE refurbished system (i'm sorry), their warranty is active. Our POS is stripped bare.. ffs, they even removed the option to check a giftcard's balance.. we have to call the number on the back of the card.

What she found out is that the Corporate Office is refunding the Warranty cost only for warranties purchased after February 9th (I think that was the date, correct me if I'm wrong).

February 10th.

I spoke with a manager friend of one of the Portland Ore. stores and he said the next drop to 30% will be on Thursday

I'd like to say that this holds a little weight since it's close to the home office but I'm considering every rumor to be bullshit until it actually happens. If there is a drop, though, it'll be on a Thursday or Friday.

Be nice if one of the mods would edit the OP to reflect the current situation of the liquidation. Would cut down on SOME of the repeat questions at least.

It's in my sig.

Well, I stopped back by the Austintown OH HWV/GC today and they still have no pricing for the display cases or the price scanners.

I've told you many, many times the display cases are not part of inventory and the store is free to set their own prices. Speak with the manager. I know many stores aren't selling display cases because we need them to display more items (imagine that). Scanners won't even be considered for sale until later in the clearance, around 60% off when all fixtures go on sale. I've never seen the scanners go on sale, but it's not like the company will need them anymore.. but MG DOES have a chain in Canada, so perhaps they'll be shipped up North.

[quote name='Scorch']
I've told you many, many times the display cases are not part of inventory and the store is free to set their own prices. Speak with the manager. I know many stores aren't selling display cases because we need them to display more items (imagine that). Scanners won't even be considered for sale until later in the clearance, around 60% off when all fixtures go on sale. I've never seen the scanners go on sale, but it's not like the company will need them anymore.. but MG DOES have a chain in Canada, so perhaps they'll be shipped up North.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I know they are up to the manager, but I have talked to her twice so far and she insists that the liquidator needs to tell them a price, and he doesn't know one.

As to the price scanners, I am patient. I just want her to pull her head out of her ass on the display cases since there are several hundred more that don't have games matched to them that I would like to buy. :D

[quote name='dabamus']Yes, I know they are up to the manager, but I have talked to her twice so far and she insists that the liquidator needs to tell them a price, and he doesn't know one.

As to the price scanners, I am patient. I just want her to pull her head out of her ass on the display cases since there are several hundred more that don't have games matched to them that I would like to buy. :D[/QUOTE]

That's how I feel about the display cases. I've gone in two or three times inquiring about them and they always give me a confused look and tell me that I should come in some other time when the manager is working.:roll:

Wow, so I really do not recommend anyone go to gamecrazy till their prices drop till at least 40% off. Going in to the store and looking around the prices on EVERYTHING were high...and not slightly high but enough that even with the 20% off I felt they were hardly competitive with gamestop let alone ebay/amazon/cheapassgamer trading prices.

I honestly left the store with out a single game in hand where as even at gamestop today I found at least 5 or 6 games I wanted to pick up. Scorch can say all he wants that prices here are not high that its just that the stickers do not represent the actual prices, but asking the manager he said he just updated prices last week and that 90% of whats in store should be the right price.....meaning I should not have to go up and ask if every game I see is the right price or not.

everything is retail price except the most recent drops. do you have specific examples of the prices that were high or ones that you thought were insanely high?

game vault games are older rentals.

[quote name='Scorch']everything is retail price except the most recent drops. do you have specific examples of the prices that were high or ones that you thought were insanely high?

game vault games are older rentals.[/QUOTE]

Not off the top of my head, problem is that I go and just kind of have an enclopedia like knowledge of the going rate of games. My main interest was not finding the newest hottest games at a great price, but instead to find PS2 and DS games that had dropped down to the $3-$10 area. There were so few of those and the ones there were were stuff like State of Emergency for like $6-$10.

my stores are still at 20% as well.. I honestly can get a better price on almost everything in the SHAQ FU ing store at Gamestop/EB... 20% off is nothing and the stuff is still overpriced!

the ignorant consumers will grab everything up before we can get the chance for any good finds.

yeah, the MG near me prices were also pretty high,considering they're going out of biz.was expecting better.

I did pick up valkyria chronicles and secret agent clank(PS2),30 bucks out the door total.would have been about the same on amazon.

luckily the store is going back to being a mom and pop like it was before bankrupt jackass MG bought them,so i'll still have a place to rent games.

I went into my local store today to check it out, I was looking for a copy of ME2. They had two copies, one new and one used, the used was was tagged at $49.99 and the new one at $59.99...the clerk told me they would take 20% off. I laughed and told the clerk that BB has it on sale for 39.99 this week...NEW.

No wonder they're going out of business.

My MG just started to sell all the inventory Last Friday and started at 20-30% off. I went in to check out the games and blu-rays and was not surprised to find no deals. I was amazed at the amount of things being sold, especially the blu-ray movies. Some idiot bought a used Avatar for $20 after the 20% off and you could find a new copy on amazon for $18 with the dvd and blu-ray.

I'm eyeing the official PS3 controller. It's still at $54.99, so it's not that great a deal even at 20% off, but if it goes to 40% or more off and there are still some in stock, then I can seriously consider.

You people are spoiled by Amazon.. retail is retail. Dante's Inferno is $39.99 new. With 20% off, it's $31.99. That's the cheapest price of anywhere I know, and that's just one example. The majority of prices are good, but yes, there's some sales out there that are better. If you don't like the prices, then wait until they're cheaper.

I went into my local store today to check it out, I was looking for a copy of ME2. They had two copies, one new and one used, the used was was tagged at $49.99 and the new one at $59.99...the clerk told me they would take 20% off. I laughed and told the clerk that BB has it on sale for 39.99 this week...NEW.

No wonder they're going out of business.

GC usually matched sales but they aren't bothering anymore because they're going out of business. You're a dick for laughing at the clerk - he just works there. I would've shrugged and told you to go pick it up at Best Buy.

I WILL agree with Wissy, though - the Blu-Ray movies are definitely overpriced at the beginning. $24.99 for USED new releases? I know they're going off of the $29.99 retail price, but come on.

Like I said, if you think the prices are high, just wait until the percentages are lower.

I'm eyeing the official PS3 controller. It's still at $54.99, so it's not that great a deal even at 20% off, but if it goes to 40% or more off and there are still some in stock, then I can seriously consider.

Yeah, Amazon sells the PS3 controller for $45. With 20% off of $54.99, it's $43.99, so it's cheaper on Amazon by a dollar or two (once you factor in tax at the B&M store and free shipping on Amazon).

My cousin and a friend have bought the stock of a few stores here in MA. I get to pick through over 3,000 games this Tuesday for my collection for $1 a piece. Can't beat that.

I don't know how so many of you expect ridiculous prices and that GC even has any control over it. When CircuitCity went into liquidation, we didn't control anything. The liquidating manager(who was there at some point daily; he'd hit each store he controlled) controls the prices i.e. is told by his/her boss when to throw up a bigger percentage drop.

And again, as I said on the first page these prices are deducted from MSRP. We had a 52" TV that, when CC was on it's own, sold on sale for $2500. Liquidator took over, raised it to the MSRP of $3499 and took 10% off. People see "X%" off and they'll bite without thinking about it. I saw this every day until the final day we were open. The liquidator is going to try to make as much money as possible before having to drop prices even further.

bread's done
Back