All Game Crazys Are Closing

stonetoad

CAG Veteran
Found this on my local Craigslist.

Bend Game Crazy Closing: First and foremost, a heartfelt and whole hearted "Thank You" to Central Oregon for choosing us for the past 6 years. In approx. two weeks ALL Game Crazy and Hollywood Video stores will be entering liquidation. As the store manager, and employee since (almost) inception till the last day I wanted to thank all the many, many, many people who have been like our extended family. You have made a job a 2nd home. We will miss all of your faces and down to earth kindness. We have always striven to be your "neighborhood" game store and provide you with excellent customer service and I feel we have done a pretty good job. Your loyalty has inspired us to provide you with the best possible experiences when in our store (CoDMW2 Midnight Launch chest flasher, HALO 3 Megaline around the store, Super Smash Bros. Tourneys and many many more). You have made the long waits till midnight launches and the 4AM Black Fridays well worth it. I also thank the many employees who have been with us over the years, the part time seasonals to the full timers who have moved on. We wish to see your faces all one last time before we close that gate for the final time. So come on down, pick up that game you've been wanting or just come down and shoot the breeze with Dan, Cody, Chris or myself. We would love to see you and say thank you and goodbye.

Bend Game Crazy Store Director,
Glenn J.

Bend Game Crazy Shift Leads (and a better group of employees than I could wish for),
Cody J. & Dan H. & Chris M.

P.S. As I'm sure many of you have some questions I'll try to answer what I know here and save our phone (and sanity) from blowing up.

Q. I have deposits on preorders, credit on my account, a gift card to GC and Hollywood. What do I do?
A. All cash deposits can be refunded for cash or used towards a purchase. All credit deposits/trade credits must be used up, credit is not transferable to cash. I recommend using your gift cards as there wont be any other location to use it at.

Q. Are you still taking preorders?
A. No, we will no longer be taking preorders on future titles, nor offering the MVP membership, offering game guard or console service contracts.

Q. What if I purchased one of those things?
A. Preorders see answer to the first question, as for MVP's and game guard I assume those will be unrefundable. In the case of service contracts I am unsure at this time how the company will handle them. I will have more information after my conference call on Monday.

Q. Are you still taking trades?
A. Yep, most definitely, however, we are no longer doing cash for trades. We still guarantee the best trade price in town and if we come in lower we'll top our competitor by 5% as always. But, if it wasn't obvious, you'll want to use that credit same day.

Q. What/When are your liquidation sales?
A. The sales wont start until the liquidation firms finish bidding on the company's assets *apx. 2 weeks. As for what the sales will be I couldn't tell you at this time. However expect by the time they begin some of our stock may have been shipped out, and expect much of the "better stuff" to go fairly quickly, so don't expect the good/decent/rare(er) games to last past the first or second weeks. Moral of the story, best to just come buy it now rather than try to wait for it to hit bottom dollar pricing as it wont be in stock then.

Q. What do you guys have in stock?
A. Honestly, everything up to date including a few Splinter Cell Elite 360 and Bowsers Inside Story DSI bundles. We have a pretty awesome selection of used games right now (I raided one of the Eugene stores that absorbed a lot of product from another closing store a few weeks ago so we have a lot of hot stuff in). A bunch of refurbished Wii's for $150, a ton of refurbished 360's $160-250 and a bunch of new consoles/handhelds as well.

Q. So what now?
A. We are kicking around a few ideas about a Store Closing BBQ when all is said and done and we'd really love to have anyone who has been a regular or has a fond memory to come down and write it down or sign on the store banner. We might also practice moonwalking and juggling and putting a video on YouTube, we'll see. :)

THANK YOU CENTRAL OREGON, YOU'VE MADE IT AWESOME!

Have to agree with Donnumus there. Speaking with the store employees at GC, they said the sales from now on are all handled by the liquidator and the company obviously want to make as much money as they can. Mirrors what Scorch has said before again and again as well.

It's just that the CAG in me (and probably a few others here) want to walk into the last remaining GCs and find everything we want at dirt cheap prices. Probably won't happen, but the fact that most of us are going by GC regularly to check prices mean we still harbor some hope of snagging a few decent deals.

Yeah the GC I went to had lots of stuff in stock but it all needed to drop to about 60-70% off before it even started getting any cheaper than gamestop or other places. Especially with gamestop's really great online coupon codes lately. No wonder this shitty company is going out of business.

I always hated gamecrazy. Good riddance. fucking ugly ass stores, neon green and black shit with chain link fences. Shit was aimed squarely at 10 year olds from 1990. And the most shameful name in all of gaming. Awful. The employees I ran into at almost every one were far worse than any gamestop employees i've encountered.

That said I do hope they all get on their feet again and find someplace better to work in the future.

Here's an example of some of the EXXXXTREEMEME CRAZZZZY DEALS to be found at gamecrazy.

28cd0rt.jpg

WAT? A launch "value pack" PSP - 1001 for more than a new PSP-3000 costs? hahahaha This shit has been sitting in that store for over 5 YEARS

In 5 years they discounted that PSP value pack by $30. 3 hardware revisions and the failure of the PSP platform in america, and gamecrazy responds by dropping the price by $30 over 5 years. Just horrible. And even at "liquidation prices" it's several dollars more than the newest version of the UMD enabled PSP.

The DSi with Mario and Luigi on the shelf below was a pretty good deal though.

Last edited:
[quote name='Scorch']You people are spoiled by Amazon.. retail is retail. Dante's Inferno is $39.99 new. With 20% off, it's $31.99. That's the cheapest price of anywhere I know, and that's just one example. The majority of prices are good, but yes, there's some sales out there that are better. If you don't like the prices, then wait until they're cheaper.

GC usually matched sales but they aren't bothering anymore because they're going out of business. You're a dick for laughing at the clerk - he just works there. I would've shrugged and told you to go pick it up at Best Buy.

I WILL agree with Wissy, though - the Blu-Ray movies are definitely overpriced at the beginning. $24.99 for USED new releases? I know they're going off of the $29.99 retail price, but come on.

Like I said, if you think the prices are high, just wait until the percentages are lower.

Yeah, Amazon sells the PS3 controller for $45. With 20% off of $54.99, it's $43.99, so it's cheaper on Amazon by a dollar or two (once you factor in tax at the B&M store and free shipping on Amazon).[/QUOTE]

We are not spoiled by Amazon we are just smart consumers talking to someone that is clearly very defensive of his place of work. Honestly I do not give two shits if you are charging MSRP prices just like everyone else....cause guess what in this day and age no smart shopper pays MSRP.

Besides that the bigger issue at hand is there is NO MSRP for used games...and your used games are more expensive then getting things not just from trade sites, not just from amazon or ebay...but even freaking gamestop! Without my edge card and the 25% off prices I just finished a gamestop.com order where I got numerous games like Popolocrois, Exit and Magical Starsign for litterally HALF off the gamecrazy asking price.

I went to a gamecrazy 5 or 6 years ago and was so jealous that I did not have one close to me because their prices were amazing and they had cool stuff in stock that I could not get at gamestops......fast forward to modern day and my god was it sad to see that gamecrazy became a more expensive gamestop. Honestly gamecrazy/hv probably did the same thing many other businesses do when they are losing costumers...they jacked up their prices to try and make up the difference and killed their business as a result.

Anyways last thing I will say before I drop the subject and I am only saying this because I wish someone would have stressed this before so I did not waste my time. If you do not have a gamecrazy within 20 mins or so of your house do not bother going till they are at least 40-60% off. It is not worth your time, especially if you are driving almost an hour as I did. I cant stress enough that going to gamestop as it stands you will find better prices..so your time is better spent trying to win the game on ebay or find a decent condition gamestop copy.

[quote name='MSI Magus']We are not spoiled by Amazon we are just smart consumers talking to someone that is clearly very defensive of his place of work. Honestly I do not give two shits if you are charging MSRP prices just like everyone else....cause guess what in this day and age no smart shopper pays MSRP.

Besides that the bigger issue at hand is there is NO MSRP for used games...and your used games are more expensive then getting things not just from trade sites, not just from amazon or ebay...but even freaking gamestop! Without my edge card and the 25% off prices I just finished a gamestop.com order where I got numerous games like Popolocrois, Exit and Magical Starsign for litterally HALF off the gamecrazy asking price.

I went to a gamecrazy 5 or 6 years ago and was so jealous that I did not have one close to me because their prices were amazing and they had cool stuff in stock that I could not get at gamestops......fast forward to modern day and my god was it sad to see that gamecrazy became a more expensive gamestop. Honestly gamecrazy/hv probably did the same thing many other businesses do when they are losing costumers...they jacked up their prices to try and make up the difference and killed their business as a result.

Anyways last thing I will say before I drop the subject and I am only saying this because I wish someone would have stressed this before so I did not waste my time. If you do not have a gamecrazy within 20 mins or so of your house do not bother going till they are at least 40-60% off. It is not worth your time, especially if you are driving almost an hour as I did. I cant stress enough that going to gamestop as it stands you will find better prices..so your time is better spent trying to win the game on ebay or find a decent condition gamestop copy.[/QUOTE]

Thank god there aren't many of those 'smart shoppers' you speak of. Otherwise, they wouldn't be buying overpriced stuff for us to get it cheap.

And GS.com would be better for deals if you wanted to use that store. Much better.

[quote name='Interfeci']Thank god there aren't many of those 'smart shoppers' you speak of. Otherwise, they wouldn't be buying overpriced stuff for us to get it cheap.

And GS.com would be better for deals if you wanted to use that store. Much better.[/QUOTE]

:imwithst:

I am working at Movie Gallery right now. I hate to say it, but here is the truth. Even though there are many of you who know that you can get a better deal somewhere else there still are many people who just don't care. For many people convenience wins out. Just last week I saw someone buy Final Fantasy XIII for 39.99 after discounts. I was thinking the whole time, you could have gotten this a few weeks ago for $30 new at K-Mart.

That being said don't complain about us employees being idiots, or not caring. We truly have no control over any of the discounts. Our liquidators simply call us up, sometimes the morning of the change, to let us know what is happening. I agree with many that a lot of the stuff is overpriced, but honestly from where I am looking its not bad pricing for retail.

I use Amazon and any other tools I can to get the best deal, but I understand that there are many people out there who don't have the knowledge or patience to go this way, people want instant gratification.

I love cocky customers though, especially a few kids that came into the store about a week ago. They were being really cocky and saying we were yelling at them when we asked them if they needed help. They were buying Tiger Woods PGA 2010. We went through the process of showing them the game and making sure it was what they wanted. We completed the transaction and they left the store, not even 10 feet from the store they turn around come back in and say this isn't for the right system. As we are in liquidation we couldn't do anything as all sales are final. Moral of the story, don't blame us when you can't be bothered to check what system the game you are buying is for.

I went in last week, supposedly they were told to not accept gift cards anymore. I pressed the issue cause my $50+ was then worthless, so he called someone and they apparently told him to try it and see if it worked. It did and just bought ACII and Dragon's Age...didn't really wanna use it until there were deeper discounts but I didn't want to run the risk of losing $50 in credit so I just did it. I've always wanted to play ACII anyway and I heard Dragon's Age was legit. Anyone else experienced this?

[quote name='salbah3ng_bata']I went in last week, supposedly they were told to not accept gift cards anymore. I pressed the issue cause my $50+ was then worthless, so he called someone and they apparently told him to try it and see if it worked. It did and just bought ACII and Dragon's Age...didn't really wanna use it until there were deeper discounts but I didn't want to run the risk of losing $50 in credit so I just did it. I've always wanted to play ACII anyway and I heard Dragon's Age was legit. Anyone else experienced this?[/QUOTE]

Luckily not, becuz I still have a giftcard that the employee said I could use until the store was closed, I had just checked about 2 weeks ago, I'm still waiting for them to lower prices enough for me to grab what I want.

Also in regards to some of the messages from GC supporters... honestly everyone, GC prices are incredibly high for anyone on this website. Yes, I understand that some people are buying their games at GC from convenience or other reasons, but if a person is on this site at all... buying a game from GC is ridiculous becuz the prices are simply out of control.

When I can buy a game 20$ cheaper... NEW... as opposed to USED at GC. Something is wrong.

[quote name='Scorch']
You're a dick for laughing at the clerk - he just works there.
[/QUOTE]

I never said that I laughed at the clerk!! Where the hell did you get that from? Just so you know, "The Clerk" I'm talking about has been a good friend of my Son for at least 15 years...He's been to my house plenty of times and I joke around with him just like I do with all of my kids friends. Still I never said that I laughed at him!!

I would've shrugged and told you to go pick it up at Best Buy.
As if I needed advise....that's exactly what I did :roll:

[quote name='Shark Attack']I never said that I laughed at the clerk!! Where the hell did you get that from? Just so you know, "The Clerk" I'm talking about has been a good friend of my Son for at least 15 years...He's been to my house plenty of times and I joke around with him just like I do with all of my kids friends. Still I never said that I laughed at him!![/QUOTE]

Assumption was made when you put down 'I laughed and told the clerk...' since plenty of users on here believe they are superior when it comes down to being the salesperson. Especially during a sale like this.

Clearly, Scorch assumed wrong. Now with all this talk about cases, I wonder how I can get the manager to sell me some. He told me he didn't want to because then the 'walls would look bare.' I was confused.

[quote name='Joodas']Also in regards to some of the messages from GC supporters... honestly everyone, GC prices are incredibly high for anyone on this website. Yes, I understand that some people are buying their games at GC from convenience or other reasons, but if a person is on this site at all... buying a game from GC is ridiculous becuz the prices are simply out of control.

When I can buy a game 20$ cheaper... NEW... as opposed to USED at GC. Something is wrong.[/QUOTE]

Blame the liquidator. And the average consumer for eating it up. In the end, they're the ones they're looking to sell to, not us. Our necessity to be cheap is what brings down NPD numbers.

[quote name='Interfeci']Assumption was made when you put down 'I laughed and told the clerk...' since plenty of users on here believe they are superior when it comes down to being the salesperson. Especially during a sale like this.

Clearly, Scorch assumed wrong. Now with all this talk about cases, I wonder how I can get the manager to sell me some. He told me he didn't want to because then the 'walls would look bare.' I was confused.

[/QUOTE]

I see. Next time I'll be more clear. I've been in Retail Management for over 30 years, I would never blame a salesperson for following company rules and/or policies.

My apologies...but Scorch did call me a Dick :D

[quote name='salbah3ng_bata']I went in last week, supposedly they were told to not accept gift cards anymore. I pressed the issue cause my $50+ was then worthless, so he called someone and they apparently told him to try it and see if it worked. It did and just bought ACII and Dragon's Age...didn't really wanna use it until there were deeper discounts but I didn't want to run the risk of losing $50 in credit so I just did it. I've always wanted to play ACII anyway and I heard Dragon's Age was legit. Anyone else experienced this?[/QUOTE]

Just a miscommunication. Gift cards cannot be sold (and they took out the option to check the balance on our POS, still can't figure that one out) but they can be redeemed.

Yes, I understand that some people are buying their games at GC from convenience or other reasons, but if a person is on this site at all... buying a game from GC is ridiculous becuz the prices are simply out of control.

When I can buy a game 20$ cheaper... NEW... as opposed to USED at GC. Something is wrong.

This is retail. The prices haven't changed since the liquidation was announced. Most stores run sales. Sale prices are not MSRP. Yes, you can find Split Second for $40 new this week. Yes, you can find Alpha Protocol for $45 this week. These are sales, not MSRP prices. I'm not defending the company, the company's done. I'm just saying that most of these are RETAIL prices, and yes, RETAIL prices suck, that's why you see Guitar Hero 3 new at $29.99 and used for $4.99 at Gamestop. Used prices are set by the store. In most cases, GC is on par with GS. In other cases, GC has better deals ($9.99 GTA 4 at GC vs $19.99 GTA 4 at GS), and in others, GS has a better deal (Bioshock is still $49.99 used at GC since prices haven't dropped since liquidation started.. pretty sure it's $34.99 used at GS).

For example, before the discount, GTA 4 used is $9.99 and Halo 3 is $17.99. After the discount, GTA 4 is $7.99 and Halo 3 is $14.xx, and they'll only get cheaper. So yes, the majority of the time, you're going to be able to find a better deal through Gamestop or Amazon.. but there are still some deals to be had.

I never said that I laughed at the clerk!! Where the hell did you get that from?

I took "I laughed and told the clerk I can get it for $39.99 NEW" as you laughing at the clerk. Sorry. Still, I don't understand why you would laugh and inform the clerk that you could get it cheaper elsewhere. Everything can always be had cheaper if you look enough.

As if I needed advise....that's exactly what I did

Cool story, bro.

Has the 30% drop for Thursday been confirmed

No. Again, for the billionth time, when the drop happens, I will let you guys know.

I think all the ones in my town are now closed.

Yeah, Game Crazy stores have a habit of doing that.

[quote name='Scorch']
I took "I laughed and told the clerk I can get it for $39.99 NEW" as you laughing at the clerk. Sorry. Still, I don't understand why you would laugh and inform the clerk that you could get it cheaper elsewhere. Everything can always be had cheaper if you look enough.
[/QUOTE]

Ok...I'll try one last time.....

The "Clerk" is a friend of my Family. The "Clerk" turn me on to CAG about a year ago. That's how we play with one another....we were PLAYING!!!!! This "Clerk" has always called my son with excellent deals at the store he works at and since he couldn't beat Best Buys price this time around, I was being sarcastic with him.

Do you understand now?

This weekend, it was still 20% in Hagerstown, MD. I did find a copy of Quantum of Solace for 360 from Hollywood Video for $8 before discounts, and it is actually quite a fun game and people still play online. I also picked up the last Transformers Monopoly for 30% off $20. Score!

I understood the first time you clarified, but there's no way anyone would've known that from your original post. Just drop it.

Quantum of Solace is indeed a pretty fun game.

new discounts, effective immediately:

25% off all new and used games
30% off all PS2 games
20% off hardware (remains unchanged)
30% off novelty items
30% off all new and used accessories

[quote name='Scorch']new discounts, effective immediately:

30% off all PS2 games
30% off novelty items
30% off all new and used accessories[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the update, Scorch. Hopefully this will keep the questions on hold for a little while. I do hope hardware is discounted during the next set of discounts, though.

we're told to keep them in the back. i've heard rumors that they'll be sold for $1 or less on the very last day but no official announcement yet.

Scorch is definitely right, I just called mine and they said 25% off for used/new games. This is the Frederick, MD store if anyone wants to stop by.

My local GC has pulled all the guides, saying they couldn't sell it due to contractual BS reasons. They didn't have a problem slapping a $9.99 price sticker on some guides before the liquidation though.

Just in my local Game Crazy 5:30 p.m. eastern time 6-2-10 20% Off all games new and used. Games in the connecting hollywood video used 20% off. Movies used in the connecting hollywood video 30% off. waiting for the 30% off to nab about 4 new games.

[quote name='Scorch']we're told to keep them in the back. i've heard rumors that they'll be sold for $1 or less on the very last day but no official announcement yet.[/QUOTE]

Can you please keep me up to date on this. Thank you.

Thanks for the updates again, Scorch. Also for those in Hagerstown and Frederick area... keep posting those local updates just in case!

I'm going to have to wait for lower than 25% to bite....

man $1 strat guides would be awesome. Let us know

I dont see any point in buying any of these until we are at 50%, and even then, it will only matter if things like Darksiders are still around .... other than that, it's 70% off or bust (probably bust).

[quote name='Scorch']new discounts, effective immediately:

30% off all PS2 games
30% off novelty items
30% off all new and used accessories[/QUOTE]

"novelty items"? Can you please give some examples? My mind is running wild...

it applies more to hollywood than game crazy but i think it's for the few gc stores that may have things like the halo board games or action figures.

[quote name='Scorch']it applies more to hollywood than game crazy but i think it's for the few gc stores that may have things like the halo board games or action figures.[/QUOTE]

Candies are another big one. If the store sold any kind of refreshments or snacks for instance. This also applies I would bet to stuff like action figures.

K, thanks. I thought you meant weird stuff like the neon-lit Gamecrazy sign hanging by the store window, and everything else imagineable in the store that can be sold and is not gaming-related.

No. Stores have a fixture list and the prices for them.

The huge Game Crazy neon signs aren't for sale, sadly. That'd be awesome.

Check with the HV manager for the neon-lit signs. When my GC closed it was "everything must go" including those signs, and if you're the only person who has put a bid on them I'm willing to be they'll go to you... (the GC neon-lit signs do not have a standardized price like the other fixtures)

Scored a Rickenbacker Beatles Guitar at 30% off. Not a bad buy for 60, but I'm sure i could have got it for cheaper else where. Whatever though.

Now I am just holding out for prices to hit rock bottom so I can pick up stuff for 60+% off.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Scored a Rickenbacker Beatles Guitar at 30% off. Not a bad buy for 60, but I'm sure i could have got it for cheaper else where. Whatever though.

Now I am just holding out for prices to hit rock bottom so I can pick up stuff for 60+% off.[/QUOTE]

40-50% off is when things start flying off the shelf, so be careful!

edit: also a lot of Gamecrazys had a big problem with representing their used product, try asking them to print a list of their onhand product for whichever system you're looking at. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
also a lot of Gamecrazys had a big problem with representing their used product, try asking them to print a list of their onhand product for whichever system you're looking at.

This, especially with employees in super lazy mode because of the liquidation. I can't stress enough to ask for the game you want if you can't find it and ask if you have questions on the prices. Some stores probably have a LOT more games than whatever's on the floor.

My Gamecrazy has been closed for almost a year now and the only thing left in the place is that neon Gamecrazy sign.

[quote name='Joodas']Thanks for the updates again, Scorch. Also for those in Hagerstown and Frederick area... keep posting those local updates just in case!

I'm going to have to wait for lower than 25% to bite....

man $1 strat guides would be awesome. Let us know[/QUOTE]

Gonna call to confirm the drops, and probably stop by again today. I'll keep you guys updated. Amazing on how many uh... hagerstowners lurk here.

[quote name='SanjiX']Gonna call to confirm the drops, and probably stop by again today. I'll keep you guys updated. Amazing on how many uh... hagerstowners lurk here.[/QUOTE]

Sanjix, I was in the GameCrazy tonight... kid from GC and HV playing NBA live and being completely oblivious to all questions. The prices are still at 25% at this store in H-town.

Also... here's the kicker (and correct me if I missed this somewhere else on this thread) but there are NO used game prices anymore. They scratched out ALL of the used game prices and marked every game new with the 25% discount. So I went in there are saw ridiculously expensive prices on the xbox 360 games... didn't check anything else becuz the employees were irritating me. There is one guy that works in there who is awesome about every question and helps with all price questions, so I may go back if he's there.

But.......I think I might just say fuck it and throw my 20$ gift card out and not bother with the trip anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I stopped by today too and got nothing. The only employee at GC was sitting back on her laptop while texting on her cell at the same time. I don't even think she noticed me. The place looks way emptier than when I last went there a few weeks ago.

Best of all, they still have DSis & PSPs, but almost no home consoles are left. I have my eye on some LE games though. RE5, SCIV, and the first Assassin's Creed had sealed copies laying around. I'll wait until maybe 40% to get them though.

Oh, and yeah, all the magazines & guides have mysteriously disappeared! ;)

[quote name='Joodas']But.......I think I might just say fuck it and throw my 20$ gift card out and not bother with the trip anymore.[/QUOTE]

I bet you could sell it to someone on here, I would make an offer but I think all the west side Portland OR GC/HWV are closed now.

[quote name='SanjiX'] Oh, and yeah, all the magazines & guides have mysteriously disappeared! ;)[/QUOTE]

I think GC/HWV were told to get rid of them.

[quote name='Joodas']Also... here's the kicker (and correct me if I missed this somewhere else on this thread) but there are NO used game prices anymore.[/QUOTE]

If they scratched out the entire thing, they're fucking retarded. They're supposed to scratch out the MVP price on the used games. The prices on the games are the prices BEFORE the discount.

[quote name='Joodas']Also... here's the kicker (and correct me if I missed this somewhere else on this thread) but there are NO used game prices anymore. They scratched out ALL of the used game prices and marked every game new with the 25% discount. So I went in there are saw ridiculously expensive prices on the xbox 360 games... didn't check anything else becuz the employees were irritating me. There is one guy that works in there who is awesome about every question and helps with all price questions, so I may go back if he's there. [/QUOTE]
That's... A good thing. That just means people with the same mentality as you will leave without another question, and more good games will last until higher percentages. :p

Don't know if I like this new liquidation company...a few MG's in my area are closing within a week, and the discounts are only to 25% on games. I'm wondering what the hell they're gonna do with all of that stuff, because the store is still full.

bread's done
Back