Almost a car wreck --------- whos would been at fault would of it been

slidecage

CAGiversary!
Feedback
106 (100%)
Okay back story--- 5 years ago i was in a head on car crash and messed up my hand so my fingers bend and it looks like my middle finger is up a little higher on my hand

now to the story...

Today i was going down the road when someone pulled out of side road.. Well we were about 2 blocks away from a gas station and i keep my gas card on the back of my phone so i dont lose it and went to grab my phone on the cars dashboard.... ALL OF A SUDDEN the person SLAMS ON HIS BREAKS and stops right in the middle of the street (lucky was doing around 15 or 20 in a 40 since they just turned out in front of me) and was able to stop a few feet away from them

This dude gets out of their auto (in the middle of the road) and starts screaming about

YOU WANT TO FLIP ME OFF IN FRONT OF MY FACE

I tried to tell him that i was reaching for the phone and says something and goes back to his car

Well that person turns into the same gas station so i pull in next to him and try to tell him once again about What happened and i said im sorry if you think I flipped you off but my hand is messedup.... Well he shook my hand (never saying he was sorry about slamming on his breaks and almost causeing one hell of a pile up)

and off i went

If i slammed into the back of this persons auto whos fault would of it been.. I mean he just stopped in the middle of the road just cause he though someone flipped him off.....

Probally would not have a leg to stand on crimal. court but i think if I or anything in my car was hurt i could of took them to civil court

I just hope this person Learns to clam down i mean Jamming on your breaks and almost causing a pile up just cause you think someone gave you the bird....

1. You suck and anything that bad happens is always your fault.

2. If you rear end someone it is always considered your fault.

3. You were distracted and grabbing your phone for a gas card while driving when it could have waited until you got to the gas station, which makes number even more of your fault.

4. Next time you do something that distracts you while driving hit a tree or drive off a cliff so you don't hurt anyone else and we don't have to read more of your nonsensical posts.

[quote name='JJSP']Yours. You shouldn't be reaching for your phone when you're driving.[/QUOTE]

so people have the right just to slam on their breaks right in the middle of the street for no reason at all?

good to know.. next time i need a new car instead of going out buy one, i will just slam on my breaks and get someone to rear end me for the hell of it

Point is I was not distracted The dude was going down the road 20 MPH and just SLAMMED On HIS BREAKS for no reason. Now if i was Distracted i would of plowed into him or if it was icy

Either way Just wondering .... Dude Scared the hell out of me cause first i thought the dudes car blew up in front of me how it just STOPPED In the middle of the road

Still think it would of been theirs, they slammed on their breaks, they got out of their car (so they were the ones who was pushing it)

good to know.. next time i need a new car instead of going out buy one, i will just slam on my breaks and get someone to rear end me for the hell of it

Sounds like that's what he was trying to get you to do, actually.

[quote name='dinovelvet']"whos would been at fault would of it been"

I'm not usually a grammar/spelling Nazi, but...holy shit.[/QUOTE]

No shit. And people like him can get driver's licenses. No wonder the roadways are such a disaster.

dmaul is correct, if you rear-end someone, it is always considered your fault. Even if they slam on their brakes and get out of their car and do an Irish jig in the middle of the road. That's why there are laws which state how far you should be travelling behind a vehicle.

But the title is a win, so I give you props for that.

most rear enders are considered the person in back's fault. the classic case example is called the "swoop and squat" where 2 cars will work together, box in another car, then the front car will hit his breaks causing the target car to rear end. The suggested implication is that if someone rear ends someone else, they were probably following too closely and/or possibly distracted.

You were distracted the moment you reached for your phone, because your attention was there instead of on the road. Had there been an accident, you would have been wholly at fault.

[quote name='slidecage']so people have the right just to slam on their breaks right in the middle of the street for no reason at all?[/quote]

If he's in front of you, yes. It's presumed that you are traveling below the speed limit and a few car lengths behind the person in front of you to give you plenty of time to react just in case that sort of thing happens.

[quote name='slidecage']good to know.. next time i need a new car instead of going out buy one, i will just slam on my breaks and get someone to rear end me for the hell of it[/quote]

Not necessarily. You would get compensation, of course, but usually either a repair bill or, if that's higher than the blue book value of the car, you'll just get the blue book value instead. So if you amass $7K worth of damage but the car is only worth $1200, you're getting the $1200 and that's about it.

[quote name='slidecage']Point is I was not distracted The dude was going down the road 20 MPH and just SLAMMED On HIS BREAKS for no reason. Now if i was Distracted i would of plowed into him or if it was icy[/quote]

Unless you saw what was in front of the other guy's car entirely you can't necessarily say "for no reason." You don't know his situation, and nor did he know yours. Regardless, if he's traveling 20 MPH, you should be going 20 MPH or less a ways behind his vehicle. Period.

[quote name='slidecage']Still think it would of been theirs, they slammed on their breaks, they got out of their car (so they were the ones who was pushing it)[/quote]

No doubt it was scary, but that's why you have to drive carefully since you never know what the hell may happen. Also, in a situation like that, if there's no accident you stay the hell in your car and don't get confrontational. If you do, it's a fine way turn a non-event into an event.

To not be found at fault, you'd have to have an independent witness that could somehow attribute the the accident to the person who is read-ended. Basically, they'd have to be witnessed doing the scheme mentioned above with another car or changing into your lane right in front of you and slamming on their breaks.

I'm not usually a grammar/spelling Nazi, but...holy shit.[/quote]

No kidding.

Since we are on the subject, there are plenty of people on CAG that can help you with your grammar slidecage. None of us are perfect, but there is no reason for you to show absolutely no improvement in the four years you have been here. If it is your online gimmick, it's a stupid one. However, if you really need help then let people help you. There is no shame in getting help. As a matter of fact, read The Mana Knight's posts. He is an excellent writer if nothing else. People would be more confident trading with you if they can understand what you are saying. If this comes off harsh I'm sorry, but hopefully you don't let your ego or bruised feelings get in they way of the legitmate critique everyone gives you every time you post something on CAG.

In regards to the topic, you would have been at fault if there was an accident.

It would have been your fault. However if he had beaten you for giving him the finger, you might have something.

BTW, it is brakes, not breaks.

A driver must always be in control of his car and be able to avoid any potential accidents. You would be at fault because the onus is on you to avoid hitting the driver in front of you. If you hit someone in front of you it means you were either driving too fast, too close, or not paying attention.

Did the dude shake your hand to test if your fingers are working? Also, did you experience any major head trauma in that motor coach crash 5 years ago?

I'm actually really curious what those two streets are in town.

There are some crazy drivers in the area, because I remember when this girl got her car wrecked around Coliseum and Coldwater (busiest intersection in my town), she got out of her car going crazy and saying every swear word there was. That situation was actually similar to yours, but there was an accident.

It's called "assured clear stopping distance" and you are required to leave that amount of space in front of your vehicle. If someone 'cuts you off' just press gently down on your brake pedal (the space will magically appear!). I get really affraid when I think of you driving on the same road that I am with nothing to protect me from you except four inches of yellow paint.

Aren't your fingers supposed to bend? I'd have a hard time gripping the steering wheel or anything else if my fingers were locked straight out.

Did that earlier accident involve any cranial trauma you neglected to mention?

[quote name='epobirs']

Did that earlier accident involve any cranial trauma you neglected to mention?[/quote]

Would explain wonders with him.

Your fault for not observing a proper following distance. Just the other day I had to educate a guy who had been driving for 20 years about this as well

[quote name='jlarlee']Your fault for not observing a proper following distance. Just the other day I had to educate a guy who had been driving for 20 years about this as well[/QUOTE]

If he'd been driving for twenty years it was a wonder he could even stay awake to hear your lecture. I imagine he got by with quick naps while waiting for food in drive-throughs.

Here in Ohio we are taught a rule about distance that goes something like this:

For low speed driving, you should be far back enough that it takes two seconds for you to pass the same object as the car in front of you. For highway speeds, use three seconds.

I'm generally pretty good about this as I like having a lot of space on the road. I've never been in an accident myself in 10 years of driving and it's probably saved my ass more times than I know. What immature people fail to realize is that no matter how fast you think you can react to things going on, you must consider the drivers around you as well. If you are driving too close behind someone who is tailgating someone else and the first car slams on the brakes you now have two collisions instead of one. Does that make sense? (Probably not if you don't practice it)

when you hit someone in the rear end it is always your fault because you should always have time to stop, otherwise you are following too closely. In your case maybe you were or werent following too closely but you were not paying attention. In either case it would have been your fault completely.

This rule also extends to stops at a red light. My cousin was stopped once when a car slammed into the car behind him, which then pushed that car into the rear end of my cousin's car. The cop said later that if my cousin's car had been pushed forwardenough and hit the car in front of him, then it would have been my cousin's faul and not the guy two cars behind him who started the whole thing.

[quote name='slidecage']Okay back story--- 5 years ago i was in a head on car crash and messed up my hand so my fingers bend and it looks like my middle finger is up a little higher on my hand[/QUOTE]

Are you sure it wasn't your fucking head that was broken?

If you was close to the gas station. Why didn't you wait till you got there to pick up your phone? Yes people do stupid stuff like stop short or pull out in front of you,but you need to pay attention as well so you don't hit them. My friend said it best. You have to pay attention by watching yourself, and the other dumb ass as well. ;)

If you have to look around for your phone/anything else you might need to do in the car, ur doin it wrong. But yeah stopping your car in the middle of traffic is a major fail as well.

1. It's always funny when someone in a car accident uses "all of a sudden" especially when it's "two blocks away".

2. Maybe get your finger fixed if it's that bad? lol

[quote name='DarthPuma']Aren't there laws that keep mentally retarded people from driving?[/quote]

Shit, at least they have an excuse... what about the ones that are driver challenged to begin with??

thing that people dont seem to understand about safe distance is this person pulled out right in front of me. Speed limit is around 50 on the road and i had to slow down to avoid even hitting him when he pulled out in front of me off the side road. Then he just stopped in the middle of the street.

Its mostly Nerve damage done to the hand so getting the finger fixxed would not really do anything

But either way mod if you want to lock this go ahead

LOL i did mess up the title but its just so badly messed up Im going to leave the title like that... I was bidin on one of those lowball auctions when i did the post

Over here... Asians will stop at green lights. :shrugs:

I'm asian btw, no... I'm not one of them that do the above statement.

I'm not usually a grammar/spelling Nazi, but...holy shit.[/QUOTE]

I also like how he abbreviated Criminal to Crimal.

Once I was driving down a 2-lane road with heavy traffic. The speed limit was 30.

All of a sudden, I saw a car ahead of me slam on its brakes. The car behind them did as well, as did the one behind it. I was probably like the 4th back and slammed on mine. I stopped about 1 foot from the car ahead of me.

The woman behind me slammed on hers, but crashed into me.

When the cops came, they asked what happened. We both said the same thing. Probably about 10 cars ahead of us, someone stopped short, causing everyone to stop short, ending with my car getting hit.

At the end of the story, the cop issued the woman a ticket. When she asked why, stating she couldn't have avoided it, the cop stated that she was clearly following too closely. He said if she had maintained the proper distance, no matter what I did, she wouldn't have hit me.

I'll be perfectly honest that when I started driving, I got scared and didn't want to drive on main roads again because someone followed me very closely. I took a right turn at an intersection, didn't see anyone coming from a distance, but all of a sudden there was a car riding my bumper. The speed limit was 40mph, but I was going around 45mph just so the car would back off, but still followed me closely. I took a sharp right turn back into the neighborhood. After that I realized cars are suppose to keep a safe distance behind you, and if they ride your bumper and you have to suddenly stop, it's their fault. Now, when cars follow my bumper, I just laugh and continue driving around at the speed limit. Most cars follow a safe distance behind me now, but every once in a while there are cars who do not.

My only problem is that I sometimes get a little too cautious while driving, which might make the people following behind me want to go crazy. Like if I see a car pulling out of a driveway or a car stopped at an intersection (and I have the right away), I tend to slow down just a little in case the car suddenly decides to pull out in front of me (which has happened before). I still need to improve watching cars from behind me.

bread's done
Back