Alone in the Dark - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Scorch']I'm hearing that it has bad controls, a wonky camera, clipping issues and you can only kill enemies with fire. ONLY with fire. You have to drag enemies to fire if there's none around so they'll die. That sounds really, really bad.

Went from a OMG BUYBUYBUY to a "eh, maybe I'll rent it".[/quote]
Sounds like they fucked up one of the best 'potential comebacks' big time :(

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I'm surprised people thought this was going to be good. The game looked horrible from the start.[/quote]

I thought it looked intriguing, I didn't expect it to be amazing but I didn't expect it to suck like it supposedly does. Oh well.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I'm surprised people thought this was going to be good. The game looked horrible from the start.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

[quote name='Filbert']Too much sticky tape.[/QUOTE]
I am definitely getting this. I still have a sealed copy of the one for the Dreamcast. Which IMO, was awesome and better than some of the Resident Evil games out there.

well, i was thinking about buying this game.....

but now, i am not.

too scarry :'(

Nevermind, i hear its total crap.

I'm kind of disappointed how the game is turning out, it's looking really poorly put together. I'm still going to get it, but I hope it is better at release. I was so excited for this game when it was announce, it was one of my number 1 most hyped games.

Yeah... I have been waiting for this game since news first broke forever ago... how disappointing. :'(

Alan Wake better not fail to deliver (if it is ever released).

Played the game the controls suck...Brings back memories of Resident Evil for PSX. The graphics and cinematics are pretty good. You randomly die alot. A rock will randomly fall or some weird thing. Would not buy till the game is like $20 if you have to play the game. Agree with everyone above game looked good, but fell way short!

This is why you never make a bet on Atari coming through. Shame on me.

Although I do disagree that the game looked like crap from the get-go. The early tech videos were amazing. It just so happens that that potential never panned through. I'm hoping some other developers will at least take note of the concept. If this game were executed effectively, it could be a nice step forward - instead of to the side and off a cliff...

[quote name='Dead of Knight']This thread is fucking hilarious, though Scorch already posted some of the comments:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314515

The GameTrailers videos are ridiculous too:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35393.html

I'm dying laughing at how shitty this game is.

And of course you can't forget this:
http://kotaku.com/5018149/legal-mess-over-euro-alone-in-the-dark-reviews-[update][/quote]

Ahaha... :cry:

Damnit, this game was going to be so good! Why'd they have to screw it up... Bah.

I'll be passing on this one. I was fairly interested but after reading the thread Dead of Knight posted and watching the gameplay video I've lost all desire to play this.

[quote name='Limpbizkit182521']Aww I was looking forward to this game. Any word if there is going to be a demo for it?[/quote]

given the bad press, probably not until it's been out a while.

Gamestop shipped my copy today, but due to "inventory delays" they didn't ship my bonus stuff. Heres hoping this game isn't a complete dud. I haven't had a good horror game in a loong time so my tolerance is pretty high.

Picked this up today. The good definitely out weighs the bad....but the bad is fuckING BAD!
I'm trying so hard to like it but its keeps kicking me in the nuts. Its worth a playthrough but not at 60 bucks.

Uwe Boll killed this series when me and my friend Mafia were *** ALONE IN THE DARK *** aka ALONE in the movie theater. Not to mention that movie was fucking pathetic.

He has tarnished the name so bad that deep inside something tells me he paid Atari to make this game. Because we all know Atari makes shitty games, and this is just further proving their point.
Even if they didn't make this game, they publish shitty games to.

Well except Ikaruga, that was the best infrogrames/atari published game ever on any last gen system... and Treasure made that one. I would say Indigo Prophecy was pretty good till the last 25% of the game where it hit Matrix Revolutions level. Yeah Atari has so many titles published the last few years and little to nothing to show for it. I can't believe I had faith in Atari for actually making their first decent game in years.

I was thinking go pick up this game but after the IGN review. No way i spend $10 for this game. I'll pickup Timeshift instead. Still hope for the Wii version !!!

Wow. A 3.5 from IGN! I am glad I didn't preorder this game even though I was tempted to. I will pick this up when it hits the bargain bin.

I hated this game. My son begged me for it, and he and I both felt like throwing our xbox's into a wall. Controls SUCK. There are some great moments....but the bad is SO bad...

I wrote a 2 star review at amazon, and this dude wrote a 4 star review, saying he almost gave it 5 stars, and that the game is amazing. UGH I hate this game.

alright, for those considering purchasing this game, heres my first hour with the game. Spoilers ahead for the first little bit but chances are it won't matter. I swear I'm not as bad at video games I'm describing. Anyways here we go. Sequences might be out of sequence a little bit cause my mind tries not to remember the bad. Also if I am doing something wrong please tell me, I don't want to shelve this game yet.

Anyways the game opens with your character knocked out and mysterious men with an old dude talking about some super conspiracy involving a stone. This is when you're introduced to the blink button in first person view. Yes, every few seconds in first person you have to click the right stick to blink or your vision gets blurry. It took a few minutes to get my head around that. Anyways I'm on my own after something happens to the dude guarding me so now I get to explore. I get to the catwalks outside of the elevator shaft (I think) getting used to how slooow my guy moves and how close the camera is to him. So I'm walking on this thin beam and then boom, out of nowhere the camera changes to an old school Resident Evil view, switching my control directions with it and woosh off this beam I go to my death. Smarter for it I correctly predict the camera change and get passed that part, continue walking on the beam, boom camera back to third person and off the beam I go. ****! ok third times a charm I finally get to some cable and start to climb down. I don't notice (well I did but didn't care) an electric field and shocked to my death. Ok puzzle time, I'm supposed to move the electrified cable to the left side behind this block to cut off the flow. Except the cord glitches through my dude and I can't get it on the left side because its stuck on my right. Suicide and try again, success. Now I'm on the elevator containing the dudes from the beginning and the old dude. They're talking about the stone again, I have no idea whats going on. Walking through the building I get a fire extinguisher and figure out that the Right trigger sprays. Ok thats good...except now I'm stuck in first person view with the hose out. Took me a minute to figure out Y switches you back. Anyways I'm in a room later on when the walls start to collapse. I die somehow. I'm not sure what killed me but I assume the debris hit me. Try again, this time I don't die despite doing nothing different and end up outside climbing on the building. At this point I have no idea where I'm supposed to go. You see theres a problem. Theres a set path you're supposed to use, except visually its not different than the pieces of building behind invisible walls. Considering you have to jump from piece to piece I had quite a few deaths thinking I could land on that extended walkway, but no, I had to jump on the exact same walkway on the other side without the wall. Making my way UP *great escape plan* a car explodes from the ground and comes up and HITS ME and kills me, are you serious? None of the other debris that has been falling constantly chugging the framerate did anything, but this one carframe instant death :/ ok I get inside and fight that boss from the video everyone is laughing at. After smacking her with a lamp until the game prompts me to use fire, I get a chair and set it on fire and go to her body.....except its seizuring in a glitch and I can't hit it. *sigh* I pick up the lamp and unstick her and then finally kill her. Ok, now I'm with some girl who is constantly companing about the little bugs at the bottom of an elevator. I have a flashlight now which you turn off and on with A button. Except when you pick up another object the A button won't cut off the flashlight anymore. Even when you drop the object and you only have the flashlight in your hand again, A button doesn't switch it on and off anymore. You have to open your jacket to manually cut it off and then back on to gain the use of the A button shutoff. I'm trying to kill these bug things, except any weapon you use tends to swing OVER them and you can't hit them. I don't know if theres some secret way to swing the weapons to the floor to hit enemies that are really short or if its random. Anyways I kill them and get to the car garage after using the old "bloody fingers" on the buttons puzzle I meet up with the old man who's escaped somehow. I get to a car in which I have to hotwire. Except it doesn't give a tutorial on HOW to do it, meanwhile more enemies (I've been shooting them with FIRE BULLETS so they've been easy to kill so I haven't mentioned them til now, theres only been like 2 or 3) yank you out of your car if you take too long to match the wires. To get up after you get yanked out you need to jam the A button....except MY guy this time is stuck in the weird seizure animation but he breaks out of it after about 20 seconds. I get the car hotwired and start driving when the floor collapses and I glitch in the rubble for a second before I'm teleported outside of it. The lady is now yelling at me to get back up there cause thats where the exit is. No arrows on HOW to get back up there but I eventually figure it out and drive through some fire which I was supposed to do and crash my car. Now the old dude is hurt and I have to find another car. I get to a fence covered in wood. Ah ha! I know what to do here, I grab something flammable, set it on fire and burn the wood covering the fence opening. This triggers a cutscene of the unseen thing in the floor coming towards me. The screen goes black for a few seconds and then I'm dead. I have no idea what has just happened. I save and cut off the game in frustration.

There you go, sounds like a winner.

[quote name='NidoGod']alright, for those considering purchasing this game, heres my first hour with the game. Spoilers ahead for the first little bit but chances are it won't matter. I swear I'm not as bad at video games I'm describing. Anyways here we go. Sequences might be out of sequence a little bit cause my mind tries not to remember the bad. Also if I am doing something wrong please tell me, I don't want to shelve this game yet.

Anyways the game opens with your character knocked out and mysterious men with an old dude talking about some super conspiracy involving a stone. This is when you're introduced to the blink button in first person view. Yes, every few seconds in first person you have to click the right stick to blink or your vision gets blurry. It took a few minutes to get my head around that. Anyways I'm on my own after something happens to the dude guarding me so now I get to explore. I get to the catwalks outside of the elevator shaft (I think) getting used to how slooow my guy moves and how close the camera is to him. So I'm walking on this thin beam and then boom, out of nowhere the camera changes to an old school Resident Evil view, switching my control directions with it and woosh off this beam I go to my death. Smarter for it I correctly predict the camera change and get passed that part, continue walking on the beam, boom camera back to third person and off the beam I go. ****! ok third times a charm I finally get to some cable and start to climb down. I don't notice (well I did but didn't care) an electric field and shocked to my death. Ok puzzle time, I'm supposed to move the electrified cable to the left side behind this block to cut off the flow. Except the cord glitches through my dude and I can't get it on the left side because its stuck on my right. Suicide and try again, success. Now I'm on the elevator containing the dudes from the beginning and the old dude. They're talking about the stone again, I have no idea whats going on. Walking through the building I get a fire extinguisher and figure out that the Right trigger sprays. Ok thats good...except now I'm stuck in first person view with the hose out. Took me a minute to figure out Y switches you back. Anyways I'm in a room later on when the walls start to collapse. I die somehow. I'm not sure what killed me but I assume the debris hit me. Try again, this time I don't die despite doing nothing different and end up outside climbing on the building. At this point I have no idea where I'm supposed to go. You see theres a problem. Theres a set path you're supposed to use, except visually its not different than the pieces of building behind invisible walls. Considering you have to jump from piece to piece I had quite a few deaths thinking I could land on that extended walkway, but no, I had to jump on the exact same walkway on the other side without the wall. Making my way UP *great escape plan* a car explodes from the ground and comes up and HITS ME and kills me, are you serious? None of the other debris that has been falling constantly chugging the framerate did anything, but this one carframe instant death :/ ok I get inside and fight that boss from the video everyone is laughing at. After smacking her with a lamp until the game prompts me to use fire, I get a chair and set it on fire and go to her body.....except its seizuring in a glitch and I can't hit it. *sigh* I pick up the lamp and unstick her and then finally kill her. Ok, now I'm with some girl who is constantly companing about the little bugs at the bottom of an elevator. I have a flashlight now which you turn off and on with A button. Except when you pick up another object the A button won't cut off the flashlight anymore. Even when you drop the object and you only have the flashlight in your hand again, A button doesn't switch it on and off anymore. You have to open your jacket to manually cut it off and then back on to gain the use of the A button shutoff. I'm trying to kill these bug things, except any weapon you use tends to swing OVER them and you can't hit them. I don't know if theres some secret way to swing the weapons to the floor to hit enemies that are really short or if its random. Anyways I kill them and get to the car garage after using the old "bloody fingers" on the buttons puzzle I meet up with the old man who's escaped somehow. I get to a car in which I have to hotwire. Except it doesn't give a tutorial on HOW to do it, meanwhile more enemies (I've been shooting them with FIRE BULLETS so they've been easy to kill so I haven't mentioned them til now, theres only been like 2 or 3) yank you out of your car if you take too long to match the wires. To get up after you get yanked out you need to jam the A button....except MY guy this time is stuck in the weird seizure animation but he breaks out of it after about 20 seconds. I get the car hotwired and start driving when the floor collapses and I glitch in the rubble for a second before I'm teleported outside of it. The lady is now yelling at me to get back up there cause thats where the exit is. No arrows on HOW to get back up there but I eventually figure it out and drive through some fire which I was supposed to do and crash my car. Now the old dude is hurt and I have to find another car. I get to a fence covered in wood. Ah ha! I know what to do here, I grab something flammable, set it on fire and burn the wood covering the fence opening. This triggers a cutscene of the unseen thing in the floor coming towards me. The screen goes black for a few seconds and then I'm dead. I have no idea what has just happened. I save and cut off the game in frustration.

There you go, sounds like a winner.[/quote]
WOT :hot:!!!!

sum it up in 3 words for me will you!

[quote name='Logain8955']The art of the paragraph is dead.[/QUOTE]

Well, my eyes are bleeding now, but I managed to get the gist of it: the disc is actually just a giant bug with a half-assed video game skin lain over the top of it.

haha sorry about that, I wasn't intending it to be that long or that congested but it was really early in the morning and when you realize you wasted $50 the typing kind of just does itself. Although it kind of fits in with how the game really is. The scary part? At the end of Chapter 2, you have a car "chase" sequence, and thats even worse. Your car has no physics to it, it took me at least 25 times to finally finish it. It requires memorization of the path and luck that the cars on the road don't hit you or you hit a crack because your car will come to a dead stop which is instant death basically.

Then something happened....Chapter 3 actually.....seems decent.....I'm confused

[quote name='Logain8955']The art of the paragraph is dead.[/quote]

That was hilarious.

[quote name='whoknows']Played it last night.

This game is awesome, deserves more of an 8-9.5/10 over the 3.5 IGN gave it.[/quote]

Really?

[quote name='SoulReaver']IGN UK gave it like a 7.9

IGN USA gave it that low?[/QUOTE]

Actually it was a 6.9, but same idea. Interestingly, the IGN UK review said it was mostly rather good until near the end, whereas other reviews have said the end (the same sequence even) is possibly the best part of the game. People seem to be all over the place with this game; not only do the review scores run the gamit, but no one seems to be able to agree about what works and doesn't work in this game (ok, everyone hates the driving it seems). I may have to give it a rental myself, because it sounds too interesting to dismiss outright.

im on chapter 6 right now and seem to be enjoying it more and more as i play. im running into bugs and whatnot but nothing that is makes me want to quit.

though from what i hear, im coming up on the most annoying chapter in the game. enjoyment level could plummet.

The Gamtetrailers review makes me want to rent this even more. He had complaints to be sure, but from all the gameplay clips it looks fantastic.

People have been complaining about the controls and how they switch from first to third, but it really doesn't look any different than Metal Gear Solids 2 & 3 where you couldn't move around in first-person. In this you can move, but slower, I hear. It sounds like it controls a bit like Fatal Frame, which, while not as good as RE4 or MGS4, had MUCH better controls than early RE or Silent Hill games. Can anyone whose played the game say what's really so bad about them? They certainly look better than Dead Rising where you couldn't duck or dodge, yet enemies would shoot you with guns. This all looks a lot more manageable to me.

The one thing about the controls that do concern me is that the game doesn't pause when you go into your inventory, and the inventory looks cumbersome. I could see this being a problem.

And the script looks awful.

But beyond that it looks absolutely gorgeous and while unpolished, looks far from broken.

[quote name='whoknows']Played it last night.

This game is awesome, deserves more of an 8-9.5/10 over the 3.5 IGN gave it.[/quote]
are you in the right thread?

From what I've played, it's definitely not 3.5 bad. The graphics are amazing, ESPECIALLY the lighting. The voice acting is horrible. The ability to switch from first to third person is great. It'll be a great rental. If I like it, I'll pick it up on PS3 when it comes out.

[quote name='Scorch'] If I like it, I'll pick it up on PS3 when it comes out.[/QUOTE]

I'll buy it for $10 or less on PS3 just for shits and giggles. For some reason, I'm fascinated with the shittiness of this game.

I read somewhere that you can skip entire chapters. Does anyone know how this works? Thinking about renting this but I hate it when I get stuck on a certain level and not have a guide to look to with the return date looming.

bread's done
Back