Alpha Protol $4.99 FS (PC) & more at Newegg 'Orange Tag' sale

rboy3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Newegg has Orange tag sales. Under gaming I found the following still in stock. I finally got AP

Supreme Commander 2 PC Game SQUARE ENIX $3.99
Aliens Vs Predator PC Game SEGA $5.99
Alpha Protocol PC Game SEGA $4.99
New Super Mario Brothers Wii Wii Game Nintendo $34.99
uDraw Tablet w/uDraw Studio Wii Game THQ $54.99
MADCATZ Xbox 360 Rock Band 3 Wireless Mustang Guitar Controller Red $119.99
MadCatz Wii Rock Band 3 Wireless Fender Mustang Pro-Guitar Controller Red $119.99
TekNmotion PulseWave • V2 3.5mm/ USB Connector Circumaural Nex-Gen Premium PC Gaming Headset $41.99

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEPro/...gg.com/NEPro/11-0226/bnr_homeLinks_orgtag.png

Alpha Protocol is worth the $4.99 + FREE SHIPPING easily.
Severely underrated game.

Plus, Patch 1.10 removed the DRM limits and DRM check entirely.

MAJOR WIN!

Alpha Protocol is worth the $4.99 + FREE SHIPPING easily.
Severely underrated game.

Plus, Patch 1.10 removed the DRM limits and DRM check entirely.

MAJOR WIN!

Bought AP, again.

Good price and the game is not as bad as some of the reviews made it out to be.

There were only a couple of times during my playthroughs where the AI started acting stupid- mostly at the lower levels with no skill points invested in anything.

[quote name='Scorch']Alpha Protocol and Aliens vs Predator's CD Key can be entered on Steam.. just fyi[/QUOTE]

Will the patch work with steam?

I would think that the patch would be autoapplied to the Steam version or at least provided in an update through Steam.. and DRM is irrelevant with Steam.. it's tied to your account. I think. I might've made that up.

[quote name='Scorch']I would think that the patch would be autoapplied to the Steam version or at least provided in an update through Steam.. and DRM is irrelevant with Steam.. it's tied to your account. I think. I might've made that up.[/QUOTE]

Confirming with Alpha Protocol, I used a CD key to register on Steam. I'm sure it works the same with AvP since it's on the list of accepted keys.

Awesome, thanks a lot OP. A little off topic, but I heard that it's possible to not be able to progress further if you pick certain skills in Alpha Protocol (i.e. stealth-based characters eventually become useless in later levels). For those who've already finished the game, do you guys have any recommendations as to how we should level our characters?

Just picked up both Aliens Vs Predator and Alpha Protocol. Aliens lets you register on steam and has achievement support correct? or is that only for when you buy off steam?

If you go stealth, you have to put a lot of points into pistols. Once you get 5 or 6 points into pistols, you can line up headshots from behind cover, then pull the trigger to pop out and one shot fools. I can lookup more stuff but I'm at work and my strategy guide is at home.

I did a stealth-pistol character, and in the end it almost seemed two easy (except for parts of the last level where I couldn't stealth). It was run from cover to cover, do the occasional head shot (while remaining hidden behind cover) and putting on invisi-camo for a minute at a time to sneak around people. Definitely not easy in a broken way, and I felt bad ass the entire time doing it, so I would recommend people give the stealth playthrough a try.

[quote name='mac101010']A little off topic, but I heard that it's possible to not be able to progress further if you pick certain skills in Alpha Protocol (i.e. stealth-based characters eventually become useless in later levels). For those who've already finished the game, do you guys have any recommendations as to how we should level our characters?[/QUOTE]
I just finished the game with a stealth/assault rifle character. I don't agree that stealth-based characters become useless in later levels; in fact, the shadow operative ability can be (ab)used to make most enemy encounters trivial. The assault rifle was very useful in some of the boss encounters, however. I'd recommend pairing stealth skills with one of the weapon skills and/or toughness to help out during the boss fights.

AP isn't nearly as good as everyone says, but it also isn't really that bad either.

EVERY conversation about AP talks only about how great it is and how the reviewers were wrong, etc etc.

That said, for $5, it's a no brainer. Your time and money will not be wasted at that value. It has a boatload of problems but it's still solid.

AP definitely activates on Steam. I bought it when it was on sale with a Sega pack at Green Man Gaming for $7.50, and the key entered into steam worked fine.

Definitely not a bad game, either. Frustrating at times, as the game clearly invites you to go the stealth route, yet there are at least two ridiculously difficult boss fights which you cant stealth, but it's not nearly as bad as reviews made it seem.

[quote name='Aganar']AP definitely activates on Steam. I bought it when it was on sale with a Sega pack at Green Man Gaming for $7.50, and the key entered into steam worked fine.

Definitely not a bad game, either. Frustrating at times, as the game clearly invites you to go the stealth route, yet there are at least two ridiculously difficult boss fights which you cant stealth, but it's not nearly as bad as reviews made it seem.[/QUOTE]

I know the Green Man Gaming keys work, but they aren't necessarily the same as retail keys...

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1635281

Last edited by a moderator:
If I may add my comment, AP was the worst game I played in 2010. Happy to have just sold it on Amazon for $15. The boss battle in Russia with the coked up mobster will cause you to enrage! BUYER BEWARE!

[quote name='RoboPhish']If I may add my comment, AP was the worst game I played in 2010. Happy to have just sold it on Amazon for $15. The boss battle in Russia with the coked up mobster will cause you to enrage! BUYER BEWARE![/QUOTE]

It's a very tough battle, yes.

Keep running when he charges up w/ coke is the way to go.
Keep running and let him tire out - then run in and attack him at close-up range to do massive damage.
For me - machine guns and assault rivals work best on him.

When he signals his goons, take cover somewhere and take them out.

Repeat.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Add Supreme Commander 2 to the "can-be-activated-on-steam" list! Pretty tempting deals...[/QUOTE]

Can be?
It REQUIRES Steam. :p

bread's done
Back