Alright, I am throwing this out there...Phoenix Wright: AA is OVERRATED!

neschamp

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
I just do not understand the hype for this series of games. I fail to see what is so outstanding about them. I have actually only completed the first game, but I am guessing the second, third and fourth games are more of the same. I thought the localization was pretty awesome and the writing had me laughing a few times, but overall I thought the game was incredibly formulaic and predictable. It absolutely killed me to finish the game. Why was the 5th case so insanely long and drawn out? It didn't pay off with any kind of cool twist or clever ending. I guess I am walking away from that experience with a bad taste in my mouth as a result. I ask the people who liked/loved the game to clue me in on what I apparently missed...or even just talk about what really appealed to them about the game(s).

I am guessing that my topic might be met with a lot of hate by the big Ace Attorney fans on this board (Rolling Skull, Naes, Botticus, any other person sporting PW sigs/avatars), but I hope for some intelligent discourse.

I agree, but I think the games are enjoyable at least. The only real problem I have is how arbitrary some things can be when it comes to obtaining or presenting evidence. Even ignoring how little sense a lot of the court proceedings make, I feel that some of the characters and conversations are, well, annoying.

The games are fun, but yes, definitely "overrated."

Well it's overrated because people do nothing but talk about how mind-blowingly awesome a text adventure game is. I enjoyed the hell out of it, but it's only a good, not great game.

I think it is because many fans like myself grew up playing LucasArts adventure games (Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle). Until the DS came out, there were hardly any adventure games for consoles (the last one that comes to mind is Discworld for the PS1).

Furyk nailed it perfectly. It seems a lot of people labeled PW:AA and its sequels as "must play" games, when in reality they probably aren't. I was looking at this thread not too long ago and I cannot fathom how someone can have an Ace Attorney game as their favorite DS title with such better choices out there. I enjoyed it PW:AA for the most part, but I am glad I only paid around $10 for it.

I cannot fathom how someone can have an Ace Attorney game as their favorite DS title with such better choices out there.
Why is it so unfathomable that someone may have a different taste in games than you? You have a Contact avatar, and I thought that game sucked ass. Maybe to you there's better choices out there, but not to a lot people considering how well the games are doing.

Anyway, I consider the two games that have come out so far my two favorite games on the DS.

I understand that other people have different tastes than me. That isn't really what I am addressing. I just don't get the love for the Ace Attorney games when there are much better (again this is opinion I know) text based adventure games - maybe not on the DS, but in general. I haven't played Hotel Dusk, though it seems like a deeper experience than the AA formula: talk to people/collect evidence/present evidence in court. I think lack of competition within the "adventure" genre on the DS causes people to elevate the game above what it is - a pretty good game.

Just to clarify the use of the word "better" - I mean in the sense of character development and interesting/well thought out stories.

Rei, the game Contact is by no means is a perfect, but it is fun. It really isn't even a favorite of mine. I just liked that image of the Professor typing away on his computer.

[quote name='Kendro']I think it is because many fans like myself grew up playing LucasArts adventure games (Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle). Until the DS came out, there were hardly any adventure games for consoles (the last one that comes to mind is Discworld for the PS1).[/QUOTE]

That's one of the main reasons I love the DS. It's so well-suited to these types of games...so when are we going to start seeing remakes of the old classics?

Didn't Blazing Dragons come out after Discworld? I haven't played Discworld, but I really liked BD.

[quote name='Kendro']I think it is because many fans like myself grew up playing LucasArts adventure games (Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle). Until the DS came out, there were hardly any adventure games for consoles (the last one that comes to mind is Discworld for the PS1).[/quote]

I agree and I really hope we see more titles like this on the DS in the future. I miss the old adventure games.

I loved Phoenix Wright because it was a fantastic story and highly entertaining. I think of it as an interactive book though, not a video game.

it was entertaining, though completely dumb and definitely meant for young teens.

I played through the first one, started the second one, and realized I have no desire to play another Phoenix Wright game again, so I stopped after a few minutes.

Played through about half of the first one. Some of the conversations were somewhat funny, but I wasn't really digging the game either.

It's just not my type of game.

I liked it because the entire premise gelled with me. Fantastically over-the-top courtroom where witnesses cornered on the stand will break down in ridiculous ways screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

What can I say, the game tugs at my emotional strings. But I'd say that pretending that Hotel Dusk offers a deeper experience is deluding oneself.

I like it and it's in my top five DS games. Though like a previous poster, I grew up with a bunch of text adventures back on the PC. God knows how many I've played.

I'd also like to waste a second of your time to also say, fuck you King's Quest VI. One day I'll beat you without a guide, one day.

[quote name='Apossum']it was entertaining, though completely dumb and definitely meant for young teens. [/QUOTE]

I disagree. I'm 25, and after beating the first one, could not wait to own the second. It's not realistic, but there's plenty of fun to be had with it. I certainly wouldn't call it a 'must own' however, because it's definitely not the type of game that appeals to everyone.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Why is it so unfathomable that someone may have a different taste in games than you? You have a Contact avatar, and I thought that game sucked ass. Maybe to you there's better choices out there, but not to a lot people considering how well the games are doing.

Anyway, I consider the two games that have come out so far my two favorite games on the DS.[/QUOTE]

Slight irony because I love Contact since it reminds me of the Monkey Island series (which is an adventure game series for the uninformed).

[quote name='RollingSkull']I liked it because the entire premise gelled with me. Fantastically over-the-top courtroom where witnesses cornered on the stand will break down in ridiculous ways screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

What can I say, the game tugs at my emotional strings. But I'd say that pretending that Hotel Dusk offers a deeper experience is deluding oneself.[/quote]That's about it.

The first was much better than the second (primarily because it was more of the same, less impactful), but I was unable to stop playing it when I bought it. It owned my DS for a week or so.

I hardly consider it overrated, since the only people who gush about it are the people who love it. Every game has that group. It received decent reviews, and that's how most people feel about it.

I was totally in the boat of screaming at my DS "DROP THE HAMMER ON HIM PHOENIX!!!!!" when the game came out. It's an incredibly enjoyable game with a few flaws that are more evident in the second game.

I found it strangely enjoyable, although there were a few parts that seemed unreasonable - times I put something together and wanted to present evidence early but couldn't. Not a huge problem, though.

It's just very quirky and there isn't anything else like it on the DS, and like a previous poster, it definitely owned my DS for the week I played it.

I didn't like the first one all that much either, but I did force myself to finish it.

I wouldn't say it is overrated. I'd just say that text adventure games aren't my cup of tea.

I've not bothered with the sequel or Hotel Dusk and don't plan to bother with them or any other games in the genre. Just too slow paced, passive and linear for my tastes.

I like the game, I think it is more like reading a book honestly. The thing is is that you cannot lose... unless you are an idiot. I mean, think about it, you HAVE to talk to the right people to advance. You cannot come to court unprepared, because it is pretty linear.

I didn't grow up on text adventures because I'm only 15, but I loved me some Pheonix Wright.

My cousin doesn't understand the hype behind ANY rpg ever... he despises them to the freakin' core. Does that mean that the Final Fantasy games suck ass? Nope

Oh, and, OP? Seriously, did you expect us AA fans to.. well...

april-rage.gif

Or... (Monster AA1-Case5 spoilers)
ani-gant-ZAP.gif

[quote name='maigoyume']
070415.jpg
[/quote]

You should wrap that in spoilers, it is kinda big...

My Rude Cosplay at Animenext was so bad that, after i removed my baldcap, people thought I was Pheonix...

There were a really good Pheonix and Edgey though

I'm in the Infocom/LucasArts fan group. I started w/ and grew up on text and, then later, graphical adventures. I've only played through the first half of PWAA, but it does bring back memories of playing Deadline and Witness.

And if they want to port any of those LucasArts games to the DS...the Monkey Islands, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango...I'm all for it.

Its a good game and everything but yeah its nothing that is earth shattering or to die for or anything like that. Frankly I thought hotel dusk was a much better game because it was more believable and not so out there, plus the whole story made so much more sense. With phoenix wright nothing makes sense and you basically have to follow a FAQ to get through the game or else its game over if you don't notice the slightest detail or if you miss a step etc.. I played through the first and almost all of the second phoenix wright but have no desire to purchase or play anymore.

[quote name='SaraAB']Its a good game and everything but yeah its nothing that is earth shattering or to die for or anything like that. Frankly I thought hotel dusk was a much better game because it was more believable and not so out there, plus the whole story made so much more sense. With phoenix wright nothing makes sense and you basically have to follow a FAQ to get through the game or else its game over if you don't notice the slightest detail or if you miss a step etc.. I played through the first and almost all of the second phoenix wright but have no desire to purchase or play anymore.[/quote]

I don't see how the bolded part of what you just said pans out...

How can you possibly get gameover?

Presenting bad evidence in court? You just press a lot, and if you notice something odd, you point out contradictions...

I agree that's it's overrated. The chapters were either too easy or too ridiculous. But I did enjoy the game... it was pretty fun.

I enjoyed the game but I didn't feel the need to immediately pick up the next one. When I did though, it was a little harder for me to get into than the first and I so I guess I can see where the predictablity and uniqueness wears then.

[quote name='eugaet']I'm in the Infocom/LucasArts fan group. I started w/ and grew up on text and, then later, graphical adventures. I've only played through the first half of PWAA, but it does bring back memories of playing Deadline and Witness.

And if they want to port any of those LucasArts games to the DS...the Monkey Islands, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango...I'm all for it.[/QUOTE]

I know this is about the tenth time I've said it, but if they release Maniac Mansion (or even better, DotT, as I never got to play that) on the DS, I'll never make another video game complaint for as long as I live.

[quote name='defiance_17']...but if they release Maniac Mansion (or even better, DotT, as I never got to play that) on the DS...[/quote]
I knew I was forgetting a few...I'd go for Zak McKracken, too. And Loom, The Dig, both Indiana Jones games, and the original Sam & Max while they're at it.

It's not really that overrated. It received good reviews but not much else from the press. Not much hype at all, really. Like all sleeper hits, it has a following of avid fans that are always going to say the game rocks. I like it because it's first gripping adventure game I've played in a long time. Rather than trying to wade through the puzzles to get to the next story cut-scene and finish the game, I actually wanted to solve the cases and discover more about the characters.

And frankly, I like that the adventure game has a chance of coming back in some form, with Telltale getting better and the DS providing good games. I also second some DS ports of classic adventures. Never could get SCUMMVm DS to work.

[quote name='clockworkgreen']
Loved the soundtrack for #1. Could listen to that on repeat.[/quote]i hear ya bro, the reversal music was awesome :)

Yeah the soundtrack definitely rocks hard. My favorite is Gumshoe's theme but they are all very good.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvqucS10dqs[/MEDIA]

I'm throwing my opinion in that the music does rock. Even though it's mostly repetition of a few tunes, I never once wanted to mute the game.

I'll agree that the second PW was no where near as good as the first one. The second one left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I wanted to finish and didn't really enjoy it.

Let me assure all of you who didn't like the second one: I've played the first case of the third one (translated) and it rocks hardcore.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Let me assure all of you who didn't like the second one: I've played the first case of the third one (translated) and it rocks hardcore.[/quote]i don't know how faithful the translation was, but the person who worked on it was indeed awesome, for that case owned me for a good hour

Hell, Court-Records had a fan text-only translation of AA2 Case 1 (Before JFA was announced.), and they had a pun in there that was better than the way it turned out in the American version.

Not the same guy, most likely, but, still, PW fans are nuts.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Hell, Court-Records had a fan text-only translation of AA2 Case 1 (Before JFA was announced.), and they had a pun in there that was better than the way it turned out in the American version.

Not the same guy, most likely, but, still, PW fans are nuts.[/quote]for sure buddy, the one who did the fan translation of the first case of TAT should have let capcom see it, they could have nailed a localization job ;)

bread's done
Back