Always Check Goodwill

bjwoodruff

CAGiversary!
This is an amazing deal that I got from a Goodwill here in Phoenix that is working %100. A Steel Battalion controller for 14.99. Thats right only 15.00 for the controller. It did not come with the game so I ordered it from Amazon for 4.99. So the entire Steel Battalion setup for less than 20.00. I really wanted to brag about this one.

bj

moz-screenshot.jpg

moz-screenshot-1.jpg
23214-steel%20battalion%20controller.jpg

Yeah, Goodwill is occasionally awesome. My best score was Chrono Trigger for $2.

Nice find though OP! I remember wanting to play that game when it came out.

I check Goodwill every couple of days.
Last thing I found was Wheel of Fortune NES and Tazmania SNES.
All the X-Box or PS2 games I find are always $10.06. Even the Madden '02 I just found.
NES = $2.06
SNES = $3.06

That Steel Battalion set up is sweet btw.

I found an unopened copy of smash bros melee for the GC a while back for $1. I always check every once in a while.

good find, the only thing that stinks about Steel Battalion is where to store it. I got my controller / Pedal for $10 at a flea earlier this year and have not found a convienent place to store it yet.

Storage is a problem, when I lived in my apt I picked up the Steel Battalion controller with game for a cheap price (can't remember). Played it a few times, but in a one bedroom apt, there was nowhere to put that huge thing. Eventually sold it to Bookmans (AZ used-items store) and got like $75 in trade to buy games with. The controller is great, but good find from Goodwill. Did you find it in South Phoenix or Scottsdale or someplace else?

It was the Goodwill at happy valley and the i17. its north phoenix. thanks for the bookmans tip, it is a monster and i feel i will become bored with it quick.

bj

[quote name='Doomstink']I found a copy of Legend of Mana (PS1) with a "Pizza Hut Greatest Hits" disc in the case. :(

My goodwill sucks.[/QUOTE]

I am sure you could sell the case for profit

I got Star Ocean: Till the End of Time complete/mint for $3.00 last week. And I got a DS Lite charger and original NES AC adapter for 80 cents each last month.

I've never had one of these super-awesome Goodwill finds though.

[quote name='Tsukento']Why has no one pointed out how OP tried linking images from his hard drive? :whistle2:s

Seriously though, awesome as hell find.[/quote]

I imagined they choked on their own stupidity by now.

[quote name='georox']I was bored of Steel Battalion within a week, now I have a giant ass controller I can't get rid of.[/quote]

You don't have the game to go with it anymore? If you had the bundle still lying around, I would probably offer a bit for it, including shipping.

I just want to try it, but the closest GS to be with one in stock is 80 f'n miles away and I'm not about to go all that distance and hope the stock locator is 100% accurate.

Now, if GS had a way to special order used games from other stores in the chain, I wouldn't even be asking if you still had the bundle since I could get $5 off the price because of the Edge card and not have to worry bout shipping.

Let me know if you still have the game with the controller though. Of course, I could just buy the game seperate someplace I'm sure.

Title is misleading a bit. For anyone that thinks great finds are normal is mistaken. Great finds are pretty rare. You can find deals but don't go in expecting great finds, as you'll be dissapointed quite often.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Now, if GS had a way to special order used games from other stores in the chain, I wouldn't even be asking if you still had the bundle since I could get $5 off the price because of the Edge card and not have to worry bout shipping.[/quote]

Theoretically they can. Getting them to actually do it for you is a different story though.

The thing about scoring big in Goodwill is it takes a lot of luck... I mean, for all you know they may have had Mario RPG/Earthbound, etc. for $5 an hour before you came in!

yep good ole' "hit and miss" factor is present when thrifting, you might find nothing one day, then the next day (when you aren't there), they get something good in.

I go to a few Goodwills. There's one that's the farthest away and it's usually the best. I got a Gameboy Color for $2.97 (they couldn't test it so they sold it as is... it has a third party auto battery charger attached with no cords, but when I held batteries in it at home, it worked great).

My only other fairly good Goodwill finds were DK 2 and 3 for $1.97 each at a different store and at yet another different store I got Diablo II and the expansion (discs only in sleeves with the codes) for .49 a disc.

Funny someone said Super Mario RPG, I found that at a Salvation Army along with Kirby 64 and Mega Man V. I miss that Salvation Army, I did pretty good there, they would be great for a month, then stink for a while, rinse and repeat.

When I lived in Tally, I had good finds all the time (there are Goodwills everywhere), Final Fantasy VII being the big one, but also found quality NES / DC / SATURN / SEGA CD games.

While on the topic, most odd "rare" I've found at a Thrift was Thousand Arms complete (at a Goodwill). Its one thing to find a "rare" game that sold well like Super Mario RPG or Final Fantasys its another thing to find a niche RPG which are usually bought by gamers who hold on or sell them at a premium. Thousand Arms may not be very valuable, but I doubt Ill ever find a game like that at Goodwill again.

i picked up this pile of a controller for $7 a while back, but didn't have any luck finding the game for cheap, so it's just been sitting here. looks like i'll have to look around online again.

[quote name='humidore']I catch Saturn games at my Goodwill/s on occasion (mostly imports tho).[/quote]

What exactly are you implying about import Saturn games?!

The exclusive games are great (and can be played with an action replay plugged into the back of your Saturn) and the cases (when intact with spinecard, manual, ect.) look very very nice.

I have Castlevania Dracula X, KOF 95, Samurai Shodown (dunno which one), Grandia, Ogre Battle, and many more excellent titles in my Saturn import collection, and they are all very fun to play too (you might want to find some way to translate the RPG's, though, if you don't know Japanese).

[quote name='L0rd Raiden']What exactly are you implying about import Saturn games?!

The exclusive games are great (and can be played with an action replay plugged into the back of your Saturn) and the cases (when intact with spinecard, manual, ect.) look very very nice.

I have Castlevania Dracula X, KOF 95, Samurai Shodown (dunno which one), Grandia, Ogre Battle, and many more excellent titles in my Saturn import collection, and they are all very fun to play too (you might want to find some way to translate the RPG's, though, if you don't know Japanese).[/quote]

I wasn't implying a thing. I said I sometimes see Saturn games at the Goodwills I frequent, and lately it's mostly been import Saturn games. I even picked up 2 (Nights and Soul Hackers) for the heck of it. I lost my Saturn a long time ago, but used to play imports on it (Vampire Savior was awesome). But maybe one day I'll stumble upon a Saturn, get one of those Action replays and get back in business...

To be honest, I hardly visit goodwill anymore. I use to visit a lot, but over time they have dried up in my area. The one I like, but is farther away from me, would usually have lots of genesis and some nes games. They never really got anything else besides that in terms of games. I managed to really build up my genesis collection because of them. Over time though, they dried up. I don't really find much in the way of games there any more. The one closer to me has never really been good for games.

I always seem to find copies of Mario Teaches Typing at Goodwill :lol: Not that I mind, I buy it for $1, then resell for a decent price.

[quote name='bjwoodruff']
moz-screenshot.jpg

moz-screenshot-1.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Damn. Haven't seen that in years.

-

My local Goodwill(s) legit sell garbage.

I'll take the time to bitch about this every single chance I get. My Goodwill is full of thieves. Every time a good PS1 game comes through, some jackass steals it and replaces it with the most hilariously bad CD that they can find in the store. You want a copy of Silent Hill with a "Cher - Greatest Hits" disc in it? Look no further, they've got it.

[quote name='Doomstink']I'll take the time to bitch about this every single chance I get. My Goodwill is full of thieves. Every time a good PS1 game comes through, some jackass steals it and replaces it with the most hilariously bad CD that they can find in the store. You want a copy of Silent Hill with a "Cher - Greatest Hits" disc in it? Look no further, they've got it.[/quote]

It's also completely possible that it comes in like that, and they just put it out for sale. It's rare that I find an interesting game or CD and the disc inside actually matches what's on the outside.

My Goodwill is a Badwill. They price everything like its Ebay gold.

I was at the main one in Portland and asked to see the basket of video games. A used PS2 game was $29.99. A cartridge only SNES game was $24.99, and a cartridge only NES game was $19.99. At those prices, I didn't see any point to look at any of the other games in the stack.

[quote name='Doomstink']I'll take the time to bitch about this every single chance I get. My Goodwill is full of thieves. Every time a good PS1 game comes through, some jackass steals it and replaces it with the most hilariously bad CD that they can find in the store. You want a copy of Silent Hill with a "Cher - Greatest Hits" disc in it? Look no further, they've got it.[/QUOTE]

Dude, that's a collectible ... my experience with Silent Hill would be have been far more terrifying if I'd run into Cher while running through some of those misty alleys ...

But yeah, Goodwill and Salvation Army seem especially good for finding all those older "rare" sports titles like Madden 05 ... for $30 ... awesome I know ...

[quote name='brianmoy']My Goodwill is a Badwill. They price everything like its Ebay gold.

I was at the main one in Portland and asked to see the basket of video games. A used PS2 game was $29.99. A cartridge only SNES game was $24.99, and a cartridge only NES game was $19.99. At those prices, I didn't see any point to look at any of the other games in the stack.[/quote]

That sounds like my local Salvation Army stores most times, but those are system prices usually. They wanted $30 for a SNES with an NES RF adapter and some generic AC adapter and it sat there for 3-4 months until they shipped it to another store.

Their prices on used CD's and DVD's are ridiculous too. They want $4-5 for a CD, which is usually a burned copy of the disc or the cd's/dvd's are MIA.

What if each piece by itself could be used for a certain
game type: the joysticks could be used with a flight
sim, the pedals would come with the racing
wheel for racing games, and the center thing
could be....used for something else. Then,
if a person were to have all three of them,
they could combine them to play a game, either
one that would only be playable with all three,
or would have an option to be played with
all three. That way, the individual pieces
would be more abundant, and less of a "specialty
controller", meaning that the setup would
be cheaper, I think.

[quote name='GlassAgate']What if each piece by itself could be used for a certain
game type: the joysticks could be used with a flight
sim, the pedals would come with the racing
wheel for racing games, and the center thing
could be....used for something else. Then,
if a person were to have all three of them,
they could combine them to play a game, either
one that would only be playable with all three,
or would have an option to be played with
all three. That way, the individual pieces
would be more abundant, and less of a "specialty
controller", meaning that the setup would
be cheaper, I think.[/quote]

:???:

[quote name='brianmoy']My Goodwill is a Badwill. They price everything like its Ebay gold.

I was at the main one in Portland and asked to see the basket of video games. A used PS2 game was $29.99. A cartridge only SNES game was $24.99, and a cartridge only NES game was $19.99. At those prices, I didn't see any point to look at any of the other games in the stack.[/quote]

Hi Brian! I know that Goodwill well (Portland "Superstore" - Ha!). Those carts have been in the showcase for weeks. Once in while, one of the pricers at that store looks every game up on eBay and prices them all accordingly.

Except that they go with the highest price, whether it sold or not. I don't think they know the difference. You think they would figure it out when the case started filling up to overflow with unsold $10 XBox sports titles.

Sadly the games on the sales floor don't fare any better because the overpriced ones are stolen well before they drop to half-price.

if you want a real laugh, check out the showcase at the Broadway store. Each game individually looked up and priced over eBay. Some have been in the case for MONTHS.

bread's done
Back