Amazon B2G1 on Blu-Ray

[quote name='msu89dawgs']Blu-ray still has to compete with DVD for market share, so there's still incentive for sales on BD movies.[/QUOTE]

QFT. The war has only begun. And I can guarantee that XBL and Apple will continue to push aggressively digital downloads.

[quote name='metallicoholic']Looks like Amazon will be losing out on my $50. Not that it matters but oh well. I'll have to find another way to get the Resident Evil trilogy for cheap.[/quote]

48 bucks at best buy online or in store with price match.

The deal just ended because Amazon does/ends deals on Tuesdays, I don't think it was linked to the HD-DVD death at all.

I got some good use out of this B2G1 and got 6 discs for 69 bucks, so I'm very pleased at about 12 dollars a piece.

[quote name='silentspork']It's a real pity, I don't think we will see BOGOs nearly as frequently with big red out of the way. I was about to make a second order today but looks like I missed out. I supported both formats so maybe we can get some nice fire sales out of it, but still disappointed over all :-({|=[/quote]

If anything, we're going to see MORE sales now, including BOGOs, and 3 for 2's etc, at least through this year.

Specialty DVDs (like Blu-Ray right now) move players the way games move consoles when not everything (like standard) is available. Sony is going to aggressively push the studios to pump out more titles now that there's a clear winner in the format war, and with that happening, places are going to push for older stock to move as well. Blu-ray is still a niche format, just like standard DVD was when it first started, the players are still in few homes.

I would also bet that we'll see the BR MSRP drop by the end of the year when the real impact of the "end of the war" will be felt. I bet that a year from now, most BRs will be around the $18-$25 mark regularly, rather than hovering around $30 MSRP. The cheaper the movies are, the more it will entice someone who's on the fence to buy a BR player.

Blu-ray doesnt have to compete with standard DVD yet. Blu-Ray players are still in probably less than 5% of households at the moment, in fact, it can't complete yet just based on price point and the fact that a lot of people are still happy with and still buying standard. It will remain a niche format until HDTVs are the norm which is still a few years away, but the gap is closing yearly because of the forced signal change in the next few years,

They're going to aggressively market the movies now though to encourage more people to buy players, and we'll see packages with HDTVs, buy a TV, get a BR player and 5 free movies and that sort of thing. The PS3 also got a huge shot in the arm with this whole deal as well. More players sold = more movies sold. Every side of the coin will be pushing this, from the player manufacturers to the film studios.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']If anything, we're going to see MORE sales now, including BOGOs, and 3 for 2's etc, at least through this year.

Specialty DVDs (like Blu-Ray right now) move players the way games move consoles when not everything (like standard) is available. Sony is going to aggressively push the studios to pump out more titles now that there's a clear winner in the format war, and with that happening, places are going to push for older stock to move as well. Blu-ray is still a niche format, just like standard DVD was when it first started, the players are still in few homes.

I would also bet that we'll see the BR MSRP drop by the end of the year when the real impact of the "end of the war" will be felt. I bet that a year from now, most BRs will be around the $18-$25 mark regularly, rather than hovering around $30 MSRP. The cheaper the movies are, the more it will entice someone who's on the fence to buy a BR player.[/quote]
with their competitor dead, why will they lower prices? If people continue paying the same prices they are paying now they wont lower it.

[quote name='y2julio']with their competitor dead, why will they lower prices? If people continue paying the same prices they are paying now they wont lower it.[/quote]

It entices sales of the players to drop the prices on the movies. The more players that are sold, the more customers there are to buy movies. The cheaper movies are, the more deals that are had, the more enticing it is to buy a BR player.

It's the same thing how it was with VHS and standard DVD, and CD. Once the formats "took off" all price points dropped. I remember when VHS tapes were 49.95 when they were new, and standard DVD price points were 34.95 when DVD first hit and CDs were regularly 19.95 in the late 80s.

The movies drop in price, it entices sales of the players, its simple marketing. Now that Blu-Ray has the foothold, they're going to entice/rub the market by dropping the prices of the films and holding more deals. Watch, or pay attention in a marketing/economics class.

because it's in their best interest to get BD into the hands of as many people as possible. We'll see many more deals, just like the old DVD deals when it first came out.

Well, we all know the future of HD is in digital downloads, but I don't think that will hit full stride for at least 5 years (mainly because of the amount of bandwidth it would consume if media only existed as a digital download)

That being said, Blu-ray is still competing with normal DVD. (although, its only a matter of time, probably a year or 2, before it takes over)

B2G1's and other sales will still happen as they try to get this format in the majority they just wont be AS often now that its won the Hi-Def format war

bread's done
Back