Not open for further replies.

chimpmeister

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Amazon.com withdraws Nintendo 3DS from sale
by blogsure
posted: October 10, 2011 0 comment.

American online retailer Amazon.com has confirmed that it has discontinued the sale of new Nintendo handheld console the 3DS.

A statement on the 3DS page of the Amazon website states that they have received complaints from customers regarding the product.

However, they are still allowing the sale of the item between customers on their marketplace.The UK version of the website appears to be running the 3DS page as normal.

The statement on the page reads: “While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it’s described here. (Thanks for the tip!) We’re working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.”
The console has been on sale from Amazon since its release in March, and had a few problems upon its launch.

Early complaints included worries about scratching on the top screen caused by the lower screen, and speculation suggests that this is a part of the problem facing Amazon now.

The UK branch of the retailer had its own issues in March with complaints of late deliveries from their buyers.

And of course, just after launch The Sun famously ran an article decrying the 3DS as being returned in its thousands due to the device causing headaches and nausea (no more so than the content of the newspaper, though – ed).

Article link: http://blogsure.info/amazon-com-withdraws-nintendo-3ds-from-sale/

Note: I did not put this into the main 3DS thread because other discussions are going on there, and I didn't want to interfere with them. Just posting an article about Amazon not currently carrying the 3DS; I noticed today that all three colors are no longer sold by Amazon (but they are still sold by 3rd party sellers).

EDIT: Thread closed to avoid conflicts. Mods please delete thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
This kind of auto-flag on Amazon's site happens all the time. Probably a way to bomb it into not offering stuff for sale. I remember a few weeks ago this happened with Persona 2 for PSP. It got flagged with the same bullshit "customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item" line and it simply ended up that the flimsy outer box that held the PSP game and soundtrack was getting crushed during shipping when they sent them in a bubble mailer. Get people to bitch enough about dumb things and they auto pull the item like this.

Lesson here is never underestimate the stupidity of the end user.

[quote name='MSUHitman']The last time this happened wasn't it because of the price drop or the new color?[/QUOTE]

I believe it had something to do with stock issues.

Update on this: looks like Amazon has pulled sales of all DSi/XL systems, and all Wii systems as well (except the upcoming NSMB/soundtrack Wii bundle, which is available for preorder and releases 10/23/11). All Nintendo consoles are now only sold by 3rd party sellers, not Amazon. Either Amazon had a falling out with Nintendo, or just decided to abandon selling their hardware; something is definitely going on.

Has to be Supply Constraints, Shipping Issues or Trolls. There's no way the DSi/XL's would cause problems this late in the game.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Update on this: looks like Amazon has pulled sales of all DSi/XL systems, and all Wii systems as well (except the upcoming NSMB/soundtrack Wii bundle, which is available for preorder and releases 10/23/11). All Nintendo consoles are now only sold by 3rd party sellers, not Amazon. Either Amazon had a falling out with Nintendo, or just decided to abandon selling their hardware; something is definitely going on.[/QUOTE]

How are you on top of all of this especially when you aren't planning to buy any of these things?

[quote name='Antipodes']How are you on top of all of this especially when you aren't planning to buy any of these things?[/QUOTE]

It takes maybe two minutes to go onto Amazon.com and look up systems.

[quote name='Scorch']It takes maybe two minutes to go onto Amazon.com and look up systems.[/QUOTE]

Ya, checking system prices and their sellers is not part of my daily routine. The issue isn't how much time it takes to check but the reason for doing so.

And if you don't know, Chimpmeister is a guy who is obsessed with posting negative things about 3DS so he's clearly not in the market for one.

[quote name='Antipodes']Ya, checking system prices and their sellers is not part of my daily routine. The issue isn't how much time it takes to check but the reason for doing so.

And if you don't know, Chimpmeister is a guy who is obsessed with posting negative things about 3DS so he's clearly not in the market for one.[/QUOTE]

Nice of you to post, even though you're off-topic here. However, the fact remains that something is going on . . . to have all these consoles "out of stock" by the nation's largest single retailer, is bizarre to say the least. Instead of making off-topic posts, how about sticking with the matter at hand, which is; WHY are all these consoles suddenly OOS at Amazon? There must be a reason . . . no coincidence would render them all OOS simultaneously.

[quote name='Scorch']It takes maybe two minutes to go onto Amazon.com and look up systems.[/QUOTE]

Q:Who the hell checks whether a product they dont plan to buy is in stock?

A: A crazy person

Console sales figures are bad enough, posts on the release of new SKUs for a system you already own that feature marginal changes are borderline obsessive, but this is just flat out stupid. I thought I was nuts enough for spending nearly as much time reading about video games as playing them.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Nice of you to post, even though you're off-topic here. However, the fact remains that something is going on . . . to have all these consoles "out of stock" by the nation's largest single retailer, is bizarre to say the least. Instead of making off-topic posts, how about sticking with the matter at hand, which is; WHY are all these consoles suddenly OOS at Amazon? There must be a reason . . . no coincidence would render them all OOS simultaneously.[/QUOTE]

Who knows and why do you care so much? Did you want to buy any of those items this week?

You're not going to get anything other than pure speculation until Amazon makes an official statement or just begins selling the items again.

Wii - make prefect sense since they are releasing the new slim model
DS/ 3DS - possible new color or bundle coming out

The original article was back in July. The 3DS has since been restocked.

[quote name='62t']The original article was back in July.[/QUOTE]

You mean to tell me this guy is posting "news" about an article posted on July 25, 2011 5:16 pm?

Chimpmeister has set a new record for most outdated fail troll. Time to get b7'd.

[quote name='Blade']You mean to tell me this guy is posting "news" about an article posted on July 25, 2011 5:16 pm?

Chimpmeister has set a new record for most outdated fail troll. Time to get b7'd.[/QUOTE]

And once again, someone with nothing to offer in terms of information about WHY Amazon has ceased selling virtually all Nintendo consoles, but just wants to flame. The fact remains, Amazon no longer sells:

-- ANY 3DS console
-- ANY DS console
-- ANY current Wii console (they do offer preorder for the NSMB Wii bundle)

And if you go to the respective product pages for any of the above consoles, you'll see Amazon "suggesting" other "alternatives" at the top of each screen. Pretty strange, don't you think?

I simply posted information that is relevant to this forum; all these consoles suddenly going OOS on Amazon is a lot more than a coincidence or "stock issues". Wake up and smell the coffee, or at least keep your mouth shut unless you actually have some information to add to this situation. Maybe its just temporary, and all the consoles will suddenly come back in stock . . . but it is certainly very strange.

I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill and also providing no real proof as to why they've done this. Everyone else has said this is pretty normal for Amazon to do on rare occasion with products. Usually has to do with complaints/returns, but not always. If it was a serious permanent change, we would have heard some real news by now and Amazon wouldn't have the NSMB Wii Bundle up.

Very suspicious, still not available.

Maybe Amazon and Nintendo went out in Seattle and got into a slap fight. They are local to each other, so they could meet face to face and work it out.

Unlikely Amazon would be the only place with a conscience about selling the 3DS, AKA eye wrecker (joking).

And unlikely that Nintendo couldn't build a package that did not result in damage to the console after more than million sold. They have been packaging portable systems well since the dawn of time.

It's all very suspicious. Will @shipwreck's prediction that there will be a new SKU for the 3DS come Xmas come true? I'm praying to my Egg Game and Watch for a second analog joystick as standard hardware.

There will probably be a bundled SKU with Super Mario 3D Land.

Also keep in mind that Nintendo is coming out with a redesigned Wii under the radar. I don't know what's going on specifically, but it's odd that not a lot of people have picked up on it.

[quote name='ianoid']http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-...96AA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320926556&sr=8-1

3DS now back on Amazon, sold by Amazon. I wonder what this was all about.[/QUOTE]

Yes, very strange. The period of time when Amazon.com did not sell the 3DS directly was almost one month. No "Temporarily out of Stock, more on the way", no backorder, nothing. Just not sold.

And even now, if you browse the product pages for the black and blue 3DS systems, at the top of the screen Amazon suggests "other handheld devices to consider", which include the PSP and Vita. They don't do this for any other handheld, including the PSP and Vita themselves.

Something was going on for sure, and still is considering that Amazon steers you to other handheld devices than the 3DS. Very strange.

This is extremely odd. I have never seen amazon try to steer you towards another product on a product's page unless its a newer model of an older product and even then you just get a notice saying "a newer version of this item is available".

The only thing I am thinking is they get a lot of complaints and returns for the 3DS, which is costing them money. They have to have had a reason to stop sales and then refer customers to other products, by not selling the 3DS they are obviously losing money as many people would go there to buy it and they can also get accessory and games sales from 3DS buyers.

[quote name='Antipodes']Crisis adverted guys.

Chimpmeister why do you stalk the Amazon 3DS page if you aren't interested in buying one?

Speculating on nonsense like this proves once again to be a complete waste of time. Amazon makes officially licensed DS accessories but they none for PSP. Do we need a useless discussion on that too?

http://www.amazon.com/mn/search/?re...icensed by nintendo&qid=1321130485&ajr=0&rd=1[/QUOTE]

We know the answer, don't we? 'Tis sad.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']We know the answer, don't we? 'Tis sad.[/QUOTE]

What's sad is, its gone again, all three colors . . . sold by 3rd party only. You'd think the worlds largest retailer could stock these whenever they wish? There's no shortage at local retail, or any other online site, sooooo . . .

[quote name='chimpmeister']What's sad is, its gone again, all three colors . . . sold by 3rd party only. You'd think the worlds largest retailer could stock these whenever they wish? There's no shortage at local retail, or any other online site, sooooo . . .[/QUOTE]

We get it. 9/11 was an inside job.

Given that the crack reporting in the first post was just a copy and paste job from an article written 3 months before it got posted, I wonder what the actual deal is? (and cmon, if you're gonna do a c/p job from an article talking about amazon not selling the 3ds, at least think of mentioning how amazon stopped selling the 3ds for a while)

[quote name='chimpmeister']What's sad is, its gone again, all three colors . . . sold by 3rd party only. You'd think the worlds largest retailer could stock these whenever they wish? There's no shortage at local retail, or any other online site, sooooo . . .[/QUOTE]

Ahahaha. Keep diggin' that grave, and f**** that chicken.

No no, he must be right, that's why Amazon in Canada, England, etc. all still sell it. Because...wait, what was his point again?

[quote name='coren']No no, he must be right, that's why Amazon in Canada, England, etc. all still sell it. Because...wait, what was his point again?[/QUOTE]

That Amazon.com (largest retailer in the U.S.) doesn't seem to be interested in selling the 3DS? That it was out of stock for almost a month, came back in stock for a few days, and then went out again (now)? Do you think people in the U.S. will order the 3DS from Amazon in Canada, UK, Germany, etc.?

Its in the title of the thread if you need to refer to it again.

I never said that Americans would buy from foreign retailers - just pointed out that Amazon in those countries has it. I'm not the one who said Amazon and Nintendo were having a fight, and Amazon was so not speaking to Nintendo until Nintendo apologized. Nintendo knows what it did! (that's about the equivalent of what you suggested, that there was a falling out and thusly Amazon (but only American Amazon) stopped selling Nintendo consoles (but not Nintendo games). Because big retailers (like you said, largest in America) base decisions on feelings being hurt (the smart ones don't).

But you keep on watching that page like a hawk, and posting articles that are reposts of three month old news. I'm sure everyone is grateful for your dedication to...whatever.

[quote name='coren']I never said that Americans would buy from foreign retailers - just pointed out that Amazon in those countries has it. I'm not the one who said Amazon and Nintendo were having a fight, and Amazon was so not speaking to Nintendo until Nintendo apologized. Nintendo knows what it did! (that's about the equivalent of what you suggested, that there was a falling out and thusly Amazon (but only American Amazon) stopped selling Nintendo consoles (but not Nintendo games). Because big retailers (like you said, largest in America) base decisions on feelings being hurt (the smart ones don't).

But you keep on watching that page like a hawk, and posting articles that are reposts of three month old news. I'm sure everyone is grateful for your dedication to...whatever.[/QUOTE]

In other words, you had nothing to add to the story, or the thread. Got it!

It's strange, but I guess it's what the Amazon staff feel is best for the company. If they are planning on something or know something, we definitely won't know until they say something. So enough speculating and making these conspiracy theories. Amazon is just not carrying the 3DS, but you can still buy it from 3rd party sellers on there.

Case dismissed.

[quote name='chimpmeister']In other words, you had nothing to add to the story, or the thread. Got it![/QUOTE]

It's personally better than adding fanboy drivel and conspiracy theories like you are.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys realize that chimpmeister is the biggest anti-nintendo troll on CAG right?

Who cares what his conspiracy theories are. He just wants attention cause nintendo seemingly raped his cat or something.

Just a useless thread from a useless CAG.

[quote name='confoosious']You guys realize that chimpmeister is the biggest anti-nintendo troll on CAG right?

Who cares what his conspiracy theories are. He just wants attention cause nintendo seemingly raped his cat or something.

Just a useless thread from a useless CAG.[/QUOTE]

Confoosius = biggest whiner on CAG (widely confirmed). Case closed.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']It's personally better than adding fanboy drivel and conspiracy theories like you are.[/QUOTE]

No actually, it adds nothing to the issue at all. Good try though.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Confoosius = biggest whiner on CAG (widely confirmed). Case closed.[/QUOTE]

You're so pathetic. You must have a news alert for anything related to nintendo and then as soon as you see something negative, you run here (and god knows where else) to post about it just so you can get off on posting negative stuff about nintnedo.

Truly you are a sad sad man.

Maybe you should spend less time trolling nintendo forums, mmmkay?

yeah, you don't like nintendo, we get it. STFU about it already.

Is OTT thread? There was another similar thread,to lazy to look for it.The gist of the thread was that Nintendo was having issues with damaged screens so, Amazon stopped selling the 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back