Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey CAGS,

I’ve got some news I’m both excited and sad to share with you at the same time. I’ll be leaving the Digital Video Games team in Mid-March to join the marketing team for Amazon.com’s Loyalty and Rewards program, Amazon Coins. My boss and I have talked extensively about how to maintain and continue our presence here and across the other communities we’ve created in the past couple of years. To that end I’d like to introduce you to Josh, who take over monitoring, updating, and responding to this thread. Josh will be ramping up over the next couple of weeks, he  will be posting shortly to introduce himself.

Now that the “what’s going on” part of the message is out of the way I want to tell you all how much I love CAG and the posters here. This was the first community I joined when I started this job (anyone still remember that first thread?) and all of you have had a huge hand in shaping how we think about and execute Community Development and Management here at Amazon, which has in turn shaped my career these last two and a half years.

I started to write out a section calling out the regular posters and realized the list would be both overly long and incomplete at the same time. Instead I’d like to thank you all again, you all have my deep and sincere gratitude. I’ll still be around and my gaming accounts aren’t going anywhere so feel free to hit me up anytime you want to chat. I’ll probably still hang out in the thread too :).

Thanks again everyone, let me or Josh know if you have any questions!

The Indie Store has launched!
Amazon.com is launching a storefront dedicated to supporting and promoting PC/Mac/Web-based Indie Games. Our Digital Video Games team is a small group of passionate gamers and we’re all really excited to help Indie developers reach more customers quickly by providing a quick and simple process for bringing their games to market. Additionally we’ll be supporting the Indie Store with a ton of promotions, both at and after launch. Many of these promotions are designed to give the developer the opportunity to maximize their revenue. For example, Amazon is forfeiting all royalties from bundle sales and passing them along directly to the developer, we’ve also created an “Indie Spotlight” program to help customers learn more about the games and developers they love. We view the Indie developers as some of the most creative in the industry and we want to help them continue to create new and innovative experience for customers.

Why we are doing this:

• Allow customers to discover an entirely new category of games on Amazon.com
  • Help developers reach new customers quickly. Our onboarding process is straightforward and we want to sell every Indie game available
  • We want to leverage our strengths to support and help the developers who are driving forward innovation and creativity in the games industry
General Information

Hi CAGs,
I'll be posting deals we're running on Digital Games (PC/Mac, Free to Play, Sony/Microsoft Points/Subs).

I'm also here to answer questions you might have, get you closer to the developers by hosting Q&As, setting up podcasts, live streaming gameplay etc. If I don't respond to a question you have in thread please send me a PM. These ping my email address and make it more likely that I will see your question and respond more quickly.

Cheers,
Tony

FYI. EA Games sold by Amazon will not activate on Steam.
F.A.Q.S.:

1. Does the game I'm buying from Amazon Activate on Steam/Origin/Uplay? What DRM does the game use?

There are two places to identify DRM on a digital video game detail page:

At the top of the page, below the title:

16hm7a8.png

In the "Product Description" section:

r06ykl.jpg

2. Note on Electronic Arts Games - For the most part, EA games sold on Amazon do not activate on Steam. Most activate on Origin.

3. Note on DRM with limited activations:

Our Policy

4. Sometimes I'll do giveaways.

5. I work with developers and publishers to get fun (or at least what I think is fun) content to share with you all. Here are some examples:

a. Check out the Pax Gameplay videos here: Xcom: Enemy Unknown I played Xcom with Jake, the Creative Director for the game, a few months before the game came out Also, on this page, check out the Q&A, also a community driven event.

b. Check out the interview on this page: Borderlands 2 we did this interview at E3 with Randy Pitchford this year.

c. We've partnered with the ++GoodGames Podcast to feature many of the games we carry. They talk to the developers about the game development process, how the games are conceptualized and managed, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm working on putting together full link list and will update when I have it.

What else do we sell?

Xbox Live Points and Subscriptions:

1600 Microsoft Live Points
4000 Microsoft Live Points
12 Month XBOX Live Subscription
3 Month XBOX Live Subscription]
12 Month + 1 XBOX Live Subscription

PSN+ Subscriptions and PSN Points:

$20 PSN Points
$50 PSN Points
12 Month PSN+ Subscription
3 Month PSN+ Subscription

We also have a Free-2-Play store supported by our GameConnect technology. Gameconnect allows you to link your Amazon.com account with free-2-play and MMO accounts so that you can buy things like in game currency, premium game time/subscriptions, in game items, etc. on Amazon.com using your Amazon.com payment options and have this content delivered directly into your game.

5. Price Matching notes: Generally we do not match international retailers (GMG, Gamersgate, etc) or physical retailers (Best Buy, Newegg.com, etc.)
To check out the Free-2-Play games we offer you can visit our storefront here: Free-2-Play Store

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough. I can't really gauge it since I've never used bioware points and have no idea how much that actually nets someone in terms of games/content.
Not a lot. Their DLC is ridiculously expensive.

Keeping in mind that this stuff is all years old, check out the DLC prices here: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Downloadable_Content

Totaling the DLC up, ME costs $6, ME2 costs $45, and ME3 is an additional $59. The last DLC for ME was released in 2009, ME2 in early 2011, and ME3 a year ago. Keep in mind that the trilogy has been $10 for the base games several times recently.

Yo guys,

Sitting at work and super slammed, been cranking through stuff all weekend but wanted to apologize for the lack of posts again. Good news. We did get a bundle with Mass Effect 2 and bioware points equivalent to all ME2 content or 2,480 Bioware Points for $29.99 pre-coupon.

Regular price for 2,480 BW Points would be $30.96 so you're saving $5ish, or effectively 20% off plus you'll get ME2 for free.

I'll be trying to get through responses today but if anything is urgent you should PM me. NOTE: Urgent does not include "will X game/dlc/etc. be on sale sometime in the near future" I'll get to those comments/questions but likely not for a couple of days.

Cheers,
Tony
What is the 2480 points meant to buy? All of the ME2 dlc on http://social.bioware.com/page/me2-dlc would come to 3600 points.

Hey there,

Couple of notes here:

1. Happy to update the OP, just added a note.
Hey Tony, just throwing a few suggestions out there for the OP:
  • BOLD any bullet points that people often ask about (DRM, activation limit policy, etc)
  • Update and move the "who we pricematch" section somewhere more visible.
  • Remove the now expired "how to get EC credits" section.
  • Add "check the OP" to the title so maybe a few more actually do.
Finally, I've noticed for a while that the DRM info picture is of a pretty low quality (probably to do with the 2.0->3.0 conversion), so if you'd like to update it here is a better quality one:
[customspoiler="Spoiled for size"]
a6761O8.png
[/customspoiler]

Thanks for all your hard work ^_^

Hey Tony, just throwing a few suggestions out there for the OP:

• BOLD any bullet points that people often ask about (DRM, activation limit policy, etc)
  • Update and move the "who we pricematch" section somewhere more visible.
  • Remove the now expired "how to get EC credits" section.
  • Add "check the OP" to the title so maybe a few more actually do.
Finally, I've noticed for a while that the DRM info picture is of a pretty low quality (probably to do with the 2.0->3.0 conversion), so if you'd like to update it here is a better quality one:
[customspoiler="Spoiled for size"]
a6761O8.png
[/customspoiler]

Thanks for all your hard work ^_^
Heyo!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Cheers,

Tony

Was I supposed to get a $5 code for buying something during the winter sale? I never did. I thought one was supposed to arrive via email.

Funny on-point comic… spoiler added because contains non-family oriented language.

704358679_ayGHYL.jpg

So I JUST got a guest pass for TSW yesterday, took hours to download, and today I see Amazon has raised the price to $24.80. There goes that game...

EDIT: I think I'll pick up the Ace Patrol Pack. $0.99 after coupon, why not? Unless someone knows if Defiance is going on sale sometime???

Is Amazon pricematching the Origin sale as that may make a few of those EC games a tad cheaper.

Defiance is 6$ in the origin sale :)

...bioware points? I had no idea this was a thing.
It's the same nonsense MS pulls with their points. They figure you won't notice how much something costs cause it's hard to associate some number with the dollar amount and since you buy bioware points in bulk and can't use them anywhere else, then you're more likely to spend it all vs. if you had to pay for each item in real money.

They probably think it's a very clever system but I wonder how much sales they're missing out on if all this was say in steam.

Was I supposed to get a $5 code for buying something during the winter sale? I never did. I thought one was supposed to arrive via email.
yes

now through December 31, 2013, purchase anything from the Digital Games Store and get a $5 promotional credit to spend in the month of January on our Editor's Choice Best Games of 2013

EA could put GotY editions of Mass Effect 2 and 3 and Dragon Age 2 on Steam right now and they would sell like hotcakes. Heck, even a reasonable price for those on Origin would sell well. But the reality is, in spite of Origin and all their other apparent efforts on the PC front, EA is making all their money right now on mobile games and console sports games. It's almost surprising at this point that they release or support anything on PC at all. The idea of a $25 bundle for essentially Mass Effect 2 and all its dlc now being a "deal" is just insanely laughable.

having played all ME major dlc except kasumi

somewhat long text hence the spoiler

I found omega and arrival   mediocre, offering nothing significant to the universe , Id definitely skip them even @50 off 

lair of the shadowbroker is a good 2-3 hours mission,story is ok  and reading shadow brokers files (texts)  regarding various people offers flavor

leviathan is also a good 2-3 hours mission,some interesting backstory- but not much and entirely optional

citadel imo was the best, -not  that combat oriented , and thats why some people hated it-

BUT every squad member from the trilogy is here and fights for the cause

-does not offer backstory but all the friends are here and has great dialogue

,its more like an easter egg or a love letter to ME fans 

recap

1 citadel

2 shadowbroker

3 leviathan

4 skip the other unless dirt cheap

generally I wouldnt buy anything unless ea gets real and offers them @ 50% off or better

if there was to be an exception to that  rule it would be citadel, the rest just not worth full price(well maybe shadowbroker  for VERY hardcore fans)

EA could put GotY editions of Mass Effect 2 and 3 and Dragon Age 2 on Steam right now and they would sell like hotcakes. Heck, even a reasonable price for those on Origin would sell well. But the reality is, in spite of Origin and all their other apparent efforts on the PC front, EA is making all their money right now on mobile games and console sports games. It's almost surprising at this point that they release or support anything on PC at all. The idea of a $25 bundle for essentially Mass Effect 2 and all its dlc now being a "deal" is just insanely laughable.
$25 won't get you all of ME2's DLC, though. :)

It's not trolling everytime somebody disagrees with you. It's pretty clear he was earnest in his discomfort with the use of the term.

That's true. I didn't like how you worded that post, you probably didn't mean it the way I took it. I interpreted it like you were making a blanket statement that gamers are racists.
I think the implication was less that gamers are racists than it was that gamers are tasteless.

Which is true.

I also don't care for the term, but only because I don't think it was particularly clever to begin with, has since been beaten into the ground, and perpetuates the unfortunate truth that we are all unpleasant people to be around.

I wouldn't pay for skins, but Tony did say all me2 dlc and 2480 isn't enough for all. It isn't even enough for all story dlc if you include Genesis.
Genesis is only really needed it you intend to never play ME1. You'd be better off with youtube and Gibbed than paying for Genesis, IMO.

Updated the spreadsheet for the EC sale.

Removed games that are no longer on sale and put them on a seperate page/spreadsheet at the bottom.

Link to sheet in in sig ...

This thread was better when it was general bitching about EC titles not being good enough.
EC SUCKS

AMAZON SUCKS

TONY SUCKS

PEOPLE NEED TO PLAN THEIR GIVEAWAYS AROUND MY LIFE

BAHHHHH

Edit: I hope that provided the sweet serenity you were looking for

Honestly, the whole EC concept just seems like a complete customer service nightmare. I assume it's worth it from a sales perspective since they keep doing it; but if I was in Tony's position and someone proposed the EC coupon idea to me, I'd tell them they were insane.

Updated the spreadsheet for the EC sale.

Removed games that are no longer on sale and put them on a seperate page/spreadsheet at the bottom.

Link to sheet in in sig ...
Would you mind allowing me to edit it to add a column beside the Regular Price and Sale Price columns to show Price After Coupon? (Should be easy to just have it auto minus $5 from the previous columns table automatically, line by line). I'd be happy to do it for you.

Honestly, the whole EC concept just seems like a complete customer service nightmare. I assume it's worth it from a sales perspective since they keep doing it; but if I was in Tony's position and someone proposed the EC coupon idea to me, I'd tell them they were insane.
Lol I created this program :).

The operational piece isn't actually that bad, it is mostly upfront work and sometimes a quick firedrill (like when the coupons didn't work for a few hours at launch).

The bigger challenge is getting deals set up between November and December to start in January.

Every year (literally each year we've done this), we see a bevy of "RAWRRRR" at the beginning of the sale, followed by a bevy of "oh man I can't believe I got XYZ at $X".

A couple of thing most customers don't understand (and they shouldn't because most customers don't work in the video game industry) are:

1. Most devs/pubs just aren't ready to talk about January deals in November and December, primarily because alot of the decision making around what deals to include in January and for how much is driven by how sales in Nov/Dec look.

2. Most devs/pubs (and most people with jobs in general) aren't super plugged into their jobs in the time immediately before, during, and immediately after Christmas, which is why weeks 2 (last half)-4 of January are more exciting than weeks 1 and 2 (first half).

Also,

I'm starting to go back through the thread and find questions and comments I missed. I'm going to try copy and pasting them into a word doc, answering them, and then pasting them into a reply, wish me luck.

Cheers,

Tony

I mostly lurk the hell out of CAG, but I did want to drop in and confirm that Tony is awesome in case anyone wasn't clear.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Lol I created this program :).

2. Most devs/pubs (and most people with jobs in general) aren't super plugged into their jobs in the time immediately before, during, and immediately after Christmas, which is why weeks 2 (last half)-4 of January are more exciting than weeks 1 and 2 (first half).

Cheers,

Tony
I think that's the part that many forget/don't think about. It's very unusual to find many non-service related folks who aren't also on vacation spending time with their family. So here we are at home trying to shop and wonder why aren't folks working hard at the same time getting us good deals.

Basically trying to say thanks for working hard for your customers during these times. Now where are the Bethesda EC bundles !!!

Would you mind allowing me to edit it to add a column beside the Regular Price and Sale Price columns to show Price After Coupon? (Should be easy to just have it auto minus $5 from the previous columns table automatically, line by line). I'd be happy to do it for you.
done .. but thanks for offering to do it.

Seriously, doe, I'm glad the Ace Patrol promo runs until the end of January.  No pressure in deciding if it's worth one of my precious coupons in fear of some wacky deals down the road.

Every year (literally each year we've done this), we see a bevy of "RAWRRRR" at the beginning of the sale, followed by a bevy of "oh man I can't believe I got XYZ at $X".
Followed by a bevy of "Oh man I ran out of coupons and can't buy XYZ at $X this is so unfair RAWRRRR" when a super awesome sale lands near the end of January. Don't worry, it will happen.

Can someone please explain what the two different versions of Sim City are?

One says download and the other says instant but it appears they both go through Origin. I really want the game but need to know the difference between them.

Thanks in advance

One says download and the other says instant but it appears they both go through Origin. I really want the game but need to know the difference between them.

Thanks in advance
This is answered literally over a million times in this thread already.

The answer, though, is that one gives you a code that you redeem yourself on Origin. The other allows you to link the purchase to your Origin account directly from Amazon, so that you immediately have it in your Origin account (instant.)

There's really no functional difference except if you object to linking the accounts or if you're buying the game for somebody else (in case you wouldn't want to link the purchase to your account.)

Thanks in advance
With download you get a key, with instant access you link the game to your Origin account.

Ninja'd by Thermopyle

Thanks in advance
Download supplies a key for you to use on Origin.

Instant Access ties your Origin account to Amazon PCDD so when you buy an Origin game off Amazon with Instant Access it automatically gets added to your Origin account.

edit -- Ninja'd by Thermopyle

edit 2 - Ninja'd by To Damn High

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back