Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey CAGS,

I’ve got some news I’m both excited and sad to share with you at the same time. I’ll be leaving the Digital Video Games team in Mid-March to join the marketing team for Amazon.com’s Loyalty and Rewards program, Amazon Coins. My boss and I have talked extensively about how to maintain and continue our presence here and across the other communities we’ve created in the past couple of years. To that end I’d like to introduce you to Josh, who take over monitoring, updating, and responding to this thread. Josh will be ramping up over the next couple of weeks, he  will be posting shortly to introduce himself.

Now that the “what’s going on” part of the message is out of the way I want to tell you all how much I love CAG and the posters here. This was the first community I joined when I started this job (anyone still remember that first thread?) and all of you have had a huge hand in shaping how we think about and execute Community Development and Management here at Amazon, which has in turn shaped my career these last two and a half years.

I started to write out a section calling out the regular posters and realized the list would be both overly long and incomplete at the same time. Instead I’d like to thank you all again, you all have my deep and sincere gratitude. I’ll still be around and my gaming accounts aren’t going anywhere so feel free to hit me up anytime you want to chat. I’ll probably still hang out in the thread too :).

Thanks again everyone, let me or Josh know if you have any questions!

The Indie Store has launched!
Amazon.com is launching a storefront dedicated to supporting and promoting PC/Mac/Web-based Indie Games. Our Digital Video Games team is a small group of passionate gamers and we’re all really excited to help Indie developers reach more customers quickly by providing a quick and simple process for bringing their games to market. Additionally we’ll be supporting the Indie Store with a ton of promotions, both at and after launch. Many of these promotions are designed to give the developer the opportunity to maximize their revenue. For example, Amazon is forfeiting all royalties from bundle sales and passing them along directly to the developer, we’ve also created an “Indie Spotlight” program to help customers learn more about the games and developers they love. We view the Indie developers as some of the most creative in the industry and we want to help them continue to create new and innovative experience for customers.

Why we are doing this:

• Allow customers to discover an entirely new category of games on Amazon.com
  • Help developers reach new customers quickly. Our onboarding process is straightforward and we want to sell every Indie game available
  • We want to leverage our strengths to support and help the developers who are driving forward innovation and creativity in the games industry
General Information

Hi CAGs,
I'll be posting deals we're running on Digital Games (PC/Mac, Free to Play, Sony/Microsoft Points/Subs).

I'm also here to answer questions you might have, get you closer to the developers by hosting Q&As, setting up podcasts, live streaming gameplay etc. If I don't respond to a question you have in thread please send me a PM. These ping my email address and make it more likely that I will see your question and respond more quickly.

Cheers,
Tony

FYI. EA Games sold by Amazon will not activate on Steam.
F.A.Q.S.:

1. Does the game I'm buying from Amazon Activate on Steam/Origin/Uplay? What DRM does the game use?

There are two places to identify DRM on a digital video game detail page:

At the top of the page, below the title:

16hm7a8.png

In the "Product Description" section:

r06ykl.jpg

2. Note on Electronic Arts Games - For the most part, EA games sold on Amazon do not activate on Steam. Most activate on Origin.

3. Note on DRM with limited activations:

Our Policy

4. Sometimes I'll do giveaways.

5. I work with developers and publishers to get fun (or at least what I think is fun) content to share with you all. Here are some examples:

a. Check out the Pax Gameplay videos here: Xcom: Enemy Unknown I played Xcom with Jake, the Creative Director for the game, a few months before the game came out Also, on this page, check out the Q&A, also a community driven event.

b. Check out the interview on this page: Borderlands 2 we did this interview at E3 with Randy Pitchford this year.

c. We've partnered with the ++GoodGames Podcast to feature many of the games we carry. They talk to the developers about the game development process, how the games are conceptualized and managed, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm working on putting together full link list and will update when I have it.

What else do we sell?

Xbox Live Points and Subscriptions:

1600 Microsoft Live Points
4000 Microsoft Live Points
12 Month XBOX Live Subscription
3 Month XBOX Live Subscription]
12 Month + 1 XBOX Live Subscription

PSN+ Subscriptions and PSN Points:

$20 PSN Points
$50 PSN Points
12 Month PSN+ Subscription
3 Month PSN+ Subscription

We also have a Free-2-Play store supported by our GameConnect technology. Gameconnect allows you to link your Amazon.com account with free-2-play and MMO accounts so that you can buy things like in game currency, premium game time/subscriptions, in game items, etc. on Amazon.com using your Amazon.com payment options and have this content delivered directly into your game.

5. Price Matching notes: Generally we do not match international retailers (GMG, Gamersgate, etc) or physical retailers (Best Buy, Newegg.com, etc.)
To check out the Free-2-Play games we offer you can visit our storefront here: Free-2-Play Store

Last edited by a moderator:
Randomish, but at least it's game talk:

I've finally gotten into playing Morrowind the past week and a half, and it started really slow for me. Call me a wuss or whatever, but I'm used to the modern day luxuries of fast travel and map markers...not to mention when you first start it takes forever to get anywhere, because if you don't invest in speed when you create your character, you move sooooooooo slowwwwwwwwww. I have about 25 hours or so invested in the game, now, and I've been leveling up speed everytime to compensate. With no fast travel, mark/recall spells are a must (as well as heavy use of the silt striders). Now that I've gotten used to it, though, the Elder Scrolls Addictiveness is kicking in. Can't believe I haven't played this game until now.
Boots Of Blinding Speed + Resist Magicka %100 FTW.

Randomish, but at least it's game talk:

I've finally gotten into playing Morrowind the past week and a half, and it started really slow for me. Call me a wuss or whatever, but I'm used to the modern day luxuries of fast travel and map markers...not to mention when you first start it takes forever to get anywhere, because if you don't invest in speed when you create your character, you move sooooooooo slowwwwwwwwww. I have about 25 hours or so invested in the game, now, and I've been leveling up speed everytime to compensate. With no fast travel, mark/recall spells are a must (as well as heavy use of the silt striders). Now that I've gotten used to it, though, the Elder Scrolls Addictiveness is kicking in. Can't believe I haven't played this game until now.
I hate to be one of those 'in my day games were harder and we liked it!' types, especially since I really dislike this whole retro balls to the walls hard trend in gaming lately, but in the case of no map markers and fast travel and such in a sandbox game I really prefer it. It's much more conducive to exploring and discovering vs feeling like you're just being moved along on a conveyor belt with the occasional minor diversion.

Also I love how utterly alien Morrowind is and the story I think was one of the better ones with a lot of factional and religious intrigue.

If you're willing to extreme makeover it with mods it really is an excellent game that to this day I think is still worth playing. There's some great quest mods for it too.

TSW is more akin to an offline game in many ways - i.e. it's writing, prose, story-telling, and dialogue is excellent.

I don't think most MMO players play MMO's for that stuff - they play to do stuff w/ their friends and don't really want *that* type of stuff invading their MMO.

Also, when doing quests in TSW - I often am alone, just roaming around the game-world and doing stuff - when others seems to also be doing the same. It just so happens that other players are in the same area - possibly doing same quest, roaming around the game-world, and/or are within the area - and will lend a hand to help out; then be on their very own merry way.

EDIT:

Yes - I absolutely love the game-world, modern-day setting, and its focus on Secret Societies.
The problem with the game is that it doesn't take long to finish all the solo content of the game. Then you have a choice of doing group content with people, or stop playing the game. I think most people choose the later.

I used to run some dungeons everyday, but now I only do new york raid once a week.

The problem with the game is that it doesn't take long to finish all the solo content of the game. Then you have a choice of doing group content with people, or stop playing the game. I think most people choose the later.

I used to run some dungeons everyday, but now I only do new york raid once a week.
This

That's most MMOs though. Some moreso than others but it's an ongoing issue that I don't think anyone has found a great solution for yet. Raids get a lot of attention but really only a minority of an MMO's population ends up doing them. Plus they get repetitive too.

I think a better solution down the line might ultimately be to allow the players to create their own content. Sort of like building in Minecraft but also maybe even a really simplified quest editor, I don't know. I just think the whole race through the story stuff then just fool around with raids forever thing gets old, but WoW's lasted years with it. *shrug*

I really hate to be one of those 'in my day games were harder and we liked it!' types, especially since I really dislike this whole retro balls to the walls hard trend in gaming lately, but in the case of no map markers and fast travel and such in a sandbox game I really prefer it. It's much more conducive to exploring and discovering vs feeling like you're just being moved along on a conveyor belt with the occasional minor diversion.

Also I love how utterly alien Morrowind is and the story I think was one of the better ones with a lot of factional and religious intrigue.

If you're willing to extreme makeover it with mods it really is an excellent game that to this day I think is still worth playing. There's some great quest mods for it too.
The no map markers thing doesn't bother me too much, if I really have trouble finding something I could just look it up online. I've only had to do that once, though, since I started. It's more the lack of fast travel that bothers me. Between mark/recall and the silt striders and boats, it's not that bad though. It's more just in cities, especially in Vivec. Going from canton to canton in there gets to be a pain the ass. Having not started playing any video games until essentially 2008, playing a game w/out the modern easy copouts is a new experience for me.

I also love how alien Morrowind is. It makes it so much more unique than Skyrim/Oblivion's environments (although I liked those, as well). As for mods...I didn't want to feel like I was just playing a big skyrim or oblivion expansion, though, so I didn't download Skywind or Morroblivion. I got that Morrowind makeover version 3.0. Obviously it doesn't technically compare to Skyrim or Oblivion, but the upgrade still makes the game borderline beautiful in its own right.

Thanks Motoki for send me a free pass to TWS will try out the game upon finish downloading and instaling the updates. If i like the game count on me to play with you guys ^^

fuq u

thanks

edit: uggh, 100% blind spell? dunno bout dat....
That's why you use a Resist Magicka Spell or item. If you use a Breton character the effect of the boots makes everything look like you are just wearing sunglasses at all times but you will be booking across that map like a cheetah.

If it comes to that, well it happens. But surely i will find someone from time to time (it depends if i would like the game on the free trial time that i have).
I haven't gotten past Maine in TSW yet. Any grouping I've done has been in silent co-op to finish someo of the tougher quest bosses. I think (could be wrong) more grouping and guild-joining happens after Maine.

I haven't gotten past Maine in TSW yet. Any grouping I've done has been in silent co-op to finish someo of the tougher quest bosses. I think (could be wrong) more grouping and guild-joining happens after Maine.
grouping really only happens...if you run dungeons.

The only grouping I cameacross outside of dungeons are for events and groups for XP grinding

I feel like TSW, SW:TOR and ESO are more or less single player games with a multiplayer endgame and with maybe some PvP in between as a side diversion.

Defiance definitely feels more familiar in terms of learning controls and leveling advancement and such than TSW does. TSW tries to do some things really differently than most other games and I think that divides people into love it/hate it sort of camps.
Though for me it was my first foray into MMOs and everything was different for me. After playing a second one, though, the combat is largely akin. Defiance, on the other hand, is basically a shooter. It is not at all like a more traditional MMO in terms of combat. Honestly, I'm having trouble getting into it, mostly as I'm not really feeling like playing a shooter right now.

grouping really only happens...if you run dungeons.

The only grouping I cameacross outside of dungeons are for events and groups for XP grinding
Idiotekque and I did quite a bit of grouping back when we were getting into the game, with a few other CAGs jumping in, too.

Well i wanted to know if anybody here played syndicate and the sabouter if the games are good enough to play. I saw some reviews/gameplays and i am more interested on syndicate.
I really enjoyed Saboteur, as I posted however many dozen pages back. It largely plays as a GTA with the added bonus of killing Nazis.

I feel like TSW, SW:TOR and ESO are more or less single player games with a multiplayer endgame and with maybe some PvP in between as a side diversion.
Knowing you and MMOs, and me and MMOs, that makes me really want to try ESO. I wish I had a beta pass now.

Though for me it was my first foray into MMOs and everything was different for me. After playing a second one, though, the combat is largely akin. Defiance, on the other hand, is basically a shooter. It is not at all like a more traditional MMO in terms of combat. Honestly, I'm having trouble getting into it, mostly as I'm not really feeling like playing a shooter right now.
Right, but I think for someone coming from mostly single player gaming the controls and system of Defiance are quicker to adapt to. MMOs are a bit of a different beast and they've got more going on. I do think once you've learned one then moving to a second or third is easier but I also think TSW is a bit different even for an MMO, at least it was for me coming from SW:TOR.

Knowing you and MMOs, and me and MMOs, that makes me really want to try ESO. I wish I had a beta pass now.
I like it for what it is, but it doesn't bring anything new to the table. It's basically a story MMO dressed up in Elder Scrolls clothing and it's got a lot of the same good and bad points that both SW:TOR and TSW have, ie nice voice acted quests, people don't group, etc.

Still, it is nice to be able to go back to Morrowind without having to install a ton of mods to make it look decent or to see some of the other provinces that have never actually been in a game yet like Elsweyr (Khajiit homeland).

I like it but I think once the story content is run through it would lose much of its appeal for me. Not too sure about TSW and the magazine updates but with SW:TOR as time goes on it gets more MMO'y and less KOTOR'y with updates. Seems like they did all the story stuff and then after that just update with raids and PvP and a continuous cycle of new items to collect but I feel like that appeals to different audiences than the story stuff does. *shrug*

Still, it is nice to be able to go back to Morrowind without having to install a ton of mods to make it look decent or to see some of the other provinces that have never actually been in a game yet like Elsweyr (Khajiit homeland).
I really want Elder Scrolls VI to either be in Elsweyr or Black Marsh. Something really unique...the last 2 games have been relatively unimaginative, human like locales. To be in the Khajiit or Argonian homeland for a game would be awesome.

Right, but I think for someone coming from mostly single player gaming the controls and system of Defiance are quicker to adapt to. MMOs are a bit of a different beast and they've got more going on. I do think once you've learned one then moving to a second or third is easier but I also think TSW is a bit different even for an MMO, at least it was for me coming from SW:TOR.
Agreed. For someone that hasn't done MMOs, Defiance will seem most familiar. And perhaps, as your experience and mine suggest, TSW almost seems easier to pick up if you haven't played a different MMO beforehand.

I like it for what it is, but it doesn't bring anything new to the table. It's basically a story MMO dressed up in Elder Scrolls clothing and it's got a lot of the same good and bad points that both SW:TOR and TSW have, ie nice voice acted quests, people don't group, etc.
Yeah. That sounds about what I like.

I really want Elder Scrolls VI to either be in Elsweyr or Black Marsh. Something really unique...the last 2 games have been relatively unimaginative, human like locales. To be in the Khajiit or Argonian homeland for a game would be awesome.
It would also really sexify the game up for the furry crowd.

I hope we'll get that Saboteur/Syndicate deal.. it's pretty much the first interesting thing I spotted. I was expecting to see Castlevania: Lords of Shadow show up at some point and also FarCry 3.. even some AC games would have been nice in there. I got 7 coupons and I'm having a hard time to even use one of them  :whee: 

Hey Tony did the Uplay rep never got back to you or are they not interested in participating in this sale at all ?

I hope we'll get that Saboteur/Syndicate deal.. it's pretty much the first interesting thing I spotted. I was expecting to see Castlevania: Lords of Shadow show up at some point and also FarCry 3.. even some AC games would have been nice in there. I got 7 coupons and I'm having a hard time to even use one of them :whee:

Hey Tony did the Uplay rep never got back to you or are they not interested in participating in this sale at all ?
Tony is currently talking with lots of companies about getting their games on the EC list.

If any new games get on the list it will be either in the OP, asheskitty's EC link in sig or My EC link in my sig.

So you know Tony pretty much said he has no plans on answering questions about is game X or Game Y going to be on the list. Or is Publisher X or Y going to participate. He has lots going on with trying to get deals on the EC that he has no time to answer these type of questions.

Best you can do i wait.

Tony is currently talking with lots of companies about getting their games on the EC list.

If any new games get on the list it will be either in the OP, asheskitty's EC link in sig or My EC link in my sig.

So you know Tony pretty much said he has no plans on answering questions about is game X or Game Y going to be on the list. Or is Publisher X or Y going to participate. He has lots going on with trying to get deals on the EC that he has no time to answer these type of questions.

Best you can do i wait.
Wait until the final 2 weeks when we'll look at our coupons and say, "Well, I guess I will end up using my 13 EC coupons." ;)

I hope we'll get that Saboteur/Syndicate deal.. it's pretty much the first interesting thing I spotted. I was expecting to see Castlevania: Lords of Shadow show up at some point and also FarCry 3.. even some AC games would have been nice in there. I got 7 coupons and I'm having a hard time to even use one of them :whee:

I'm sure a few things will come up you want. There have been several fantastic deals, just must have been nothing to your personal tastes.

The brothers deal was great, and Freyja's Bundle was pure insanity. I'd be surprised if there was nothing you wanted between now and the end of January. Remember, we're 12 days into the month. There's another 19 to go.

I would be interested to see AC director's cut, AC2 deluxe, ACB deluxe, ACR gold bundle for $20 before EC credit. Assuming they all register on uplay.

I'm sure a few things will come up you want. There have been several fantastic deals, just must have been nothing to your personal tastes.

The brothers deal was great, and Freyja's Bundle was pure insanity. I'd be surprised if there was nothing you wanted between now and the end of January. Remember, we're 12 days into the month. There's another 19 to go.
I haven't seen anything so far that I'd call fantastic. That Freyja bundle was very good, but because a lot of us already had those games I wouldn't call it fantastic. Some of those EA prices were good, but not fantastic. The 505 games were quite good, but once again, not fantastic.

I haven't seen anything so far that I'd call fantastic. That Freyja bundle was very good, but because a lot of us already had those games I wouldn't call it fantastic (. Some of those EA prices were good, but not fantastic. The 505 games were quite good, but once again, not fantastic.
You are incredibly hard to please... Mom, is that you?

Best you can do i wait.
This needs to be at the top of every new page in this thread.

I haven't seen anything so far that I'd call fantastic. That Freyja bundle was very good, but because a lot of us already had those games I wouldn't call it fantastic (. Some of those EA prices were good, but not fantastic. The 505 games were quite good, but once again, not fantastic.
I'm with you. Haven't bought anything yet. I'm starting to wish they'd add Turbotax to the EC list just so I'd have something to spend a coupon on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back