Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey CAGS,

I’ve got some news I’m both excited and sad to share with you at the same time. I’ll be leaving the Digital Video Games team in Mid-March to join the marketing team for Amazon.com’s Loyalty and Rewards program, Amazon Coins. My boss and I have talked extensively about how to maintain and continue our presence here and across the other communities we’ve created in the past couple of years. To that end I’d like to introduce you to Josh, who take over monitoring, updating, and responding to this thread. Josh will be ramping up over the next couple of weeks, he  will be posting shortly to introduce himself.

Now that the “what’s going on” part of the message is out of the way I want to tell you all how much I love CAG and the posters here. This was the first community I joined when I started this job (anyone still remember that first thread?) and all of you have had a huge hand in shaping how we think about and execute Community Development and Management here at Amazon, which has in turn shaped my career these last two and a half years.

I started to write out a section calling out the regular posters and realized the list would be both overly long and incomplete at the same time. Instead I’d like to thank you all again, you all have my deep and sincere gratitude. I’ll still be around and my gaming accounts aren’t going anywhere so feel free to hit me up anytime you want to chat. I’ll probably still hang out in the thread too :).

Thanks again everyone, let me or Josh know if you have any questions!

The Indie Store has launched!
Amazon.com is launching a storefront dedicated to supporting and promoting PC/Mac/Web-based Indie Games. Our Digital Video Games team is a small group of passionate gamers and we’re all really excited to help Indie developers reach more customers quickly by providing a quick and simple process for bringing their games to market. Additionally we’ll be supporting the Indie Store with a ton of promotions, both at and after launch. Many of these promotions are designed to give the developer the opportunity to maximize their revenue. For example, Amazon is forfeiting all royalties from bundle sales and passing them along directly to the developer, we’ve also created an “Indie Spotlight” program to help customers learn more about the games and developers they love. We view the Indie developers as some of the most creative in the industry and we want to help them continue to create new and innovative experience for customers.

Why we are doing this:

• Allow customers to discover an entirely new category of games on Amazon.com
  • Help developers reach new customers quickly. Our onboarding process is straightforward and we want to sell every Indie game available
  • We want to leverage our strengths to support and help the developers who are driving forward innovation and creativity in the games industry
General Information

Hi CAGs,
I'll be posting deals we're running on Digital Games (PC/Mac, Free to Play, Sony/Microsoft Points/Subs).

I'm also here to answer questions you might have, get you closer to the developers by hosting Q&As, setting up podcasts, live streaming gameplay etc. If I don't respond to a question you have in thread please send me a PM. These ping my email address and make it more likely that I will see your question and respond more quickly.

Cheers,
Tony

FYI. EA Games sold by Amazon will not activate on Steam.
F.A.Q.S.:

1. Does the game I'm buying from Amazon Activate on Steam/Origin/Uplay? What DRM does the game use?

There are two places to identify DRM on a digital video game detail page:

At the top of the page, below the title:

16hm7a8.png

In the "Product Description" section:

r06ykl.jpg

2. Note on Electronic Arts Games - For the most part, EA games sold on Amazon do not activate on Steam. Most activate on Origin.

3. Note on DRM with limited activations:

Our Policy

4. Sometimes I'll do giveaways.

5. I work with developers and publishers to get fun (or at least what I think is fun) content to share with you all. Here are some examples:

a. Check out the Pax Gameplay videos here: Xcom: Enemy Unknown I played Xcom with Jake, the Creative Director for the game, a few months before the game came out Also, on this page, check out the Q&A, also a community driven event.

b. Check out the interview on this page: Borderlands 2 we did this interview at E3 with Randy Pitchford this year.

c. We've partnered with the ++GoodGames Podcast to feature many of the games we carry. They talk to the developers about the game development process, how the games are conceptualized and managed, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm working on putting together full link list and will update when I have it.

What else do we sell?

Xbox Live Points and Subscriptions:

1600 Microsoft Live Points
4000 Microsoft Live Points
12 Month XBOX Live Subscription
3 Month XBOX Live Subscription]
12 Month + 1 XBOX Live Subscription

PSN+ Subscriptions and PSN Points:

$20 PSN Points
$50 PSN Points
12 Month PSN+ Subscription
3 Month PSN+ Subscription

We also have a Free-2-Play store supported by our GameConnect technology. Gameconnect allows you to link your Amazon.com account with free-2-play and MMO accounts so that you can buy things like in game currency, premium game time/subscriptions, in game items, etc. on Amazon.com using your Amazon.com payment options and have this content delivered directly into your game.

5. Price Matching notes: Generally we do not match international retailers (GMG, Gamersgate, etc) or physical retailers (Best Buy, Newegg.com, etc.)
To check out the Free-2-Play games we offer you can visit our storefront here: Free-2-Play Store

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely not. I really wish someone would beat some fashion sense into Naruto.

That's not me. ... but that's the same type (Seal Point) of Siamese I had.
You should sue that youtube person for stealing your name.

Seriously... do you have any idea how hard is to come up with something simple and spell-able that isn't already in use. Or sometimes a movie comes along and wrecks it... as happened with my old thecatsmeow username.
Remember I don't need sarcasm font. Expect non standardized sarcasm. Why no color text?

Last edited:
BTW I finally pulled the trigger on that Kingdoms Of Amalur deal I was stressing about the other day. So for $4 I just bought an obligation to pay $25 for DLC. Yay me!

Last edited:
BTW I finally pulled the trigger on that Kingdoms Of Amalur deal I was stressing about the other day. So for $4 I just bought an obligation to pay $25 for DLC. Yay me!
The DLC has been half off multiple times (and possible cheaper I think, but I don't recall).

I know I picked up the DLC when it was in a bundle with the base game for $10 total. Sold of KoA base game since I already had it so the two DLC were only around $5 or 6 for me. Haven't picked up the weapons pack thing, but I don't think I will.

The DLC has been half off multiple times (and possible cheaper I think, but I don't recall).

I know I picked up the DLC when it was in a bundle with the base game for $10 total. Sold of KoA base game since I already had it so the two DLC were only around $5 or 6 for me. Haven't picked up the weapons pack thing, but I don't think I will.
I don't think I can stomach paying more for DLC than I did the base game Even if it were on sale at the time.

Before you play the game you should know some things.

The difficulty balance is totally screwed up in this game, they wrote a patch but never implemented it cause EA wouldn't pay to test the patch. Some things you can do to help this is avoid crafting and avoid using the special power thing (I think it's called Reckoning ability)

Don't enter new areas/zones til you're ready to play them cause the moment you set foot in a new area all enemies permanently lock to your current level. For example you could accidentally set foot in a zone for a split second at level 7, the whole area locks to level 7 and then when you proceed to playing that region later at level 13, everything in that area is still level 7 forever.

I had to start skipping side quests both cause there were too damn many, and cause I would wind up overleveling... cause in addition to new areas locking to your level, it's within a certain range of level for example 5-8, if you enter a 5-8 level area at level 12 it will just lock at 8. I was finding myself up to 10 levels over an area's max when first entering it.

And do some research because there are game ending glitches, you could hit one 80 hours into the game and your game is over. It's possible to avoid them if you know about them. One of the DLCs has a glitch like this as well.

That's all I can think of for now. It's very unfortunate cause this was a great game but has some very severe issues. I loved it and played for 80 hours before I got worn out by the endless quests and boring story/dialogue, I'm not saying don't play or don't buy this game, just know what you're getting into and do what you can to make the game work for you. I still look out for deals on the Steam version of the DLC, guess that's never happening.

The difficulty balance is totally unbalanced in this game and they never fixed it cause EA wouldn't pay to test the patch. Some things you can do to help this is avoid crafting and avoid using the special power thing (I forget what its called but you build up a meter to use it)

Don't enter new areas/zones til you're ready to play them cause the moment you set foot in a new area all enemies permanently lock to your current level.

And do some research because there are game ending glitches, you could hit one 80 hours into the game and your game is over. It's possible to avoid them if you know about them. One of the DLCs has a glitch like this as well.

That's all I can think of for now. It's very unfortunate cause this was a great game but has some very severe issues.
Thanks for the info. Don't worry I do plenty of research. (It's the main reason it took me two days just to make a decision on getting it.) I'm fine with insane difficulty curve balls and game ending glitches aren't new to me. (the first one I ever encountered was Secret Of Evermore on SNES so I am very wary of such things.) As far as crafting goes I tend to hoard like a madman so I don't think I could find myself parting with too many items to begin with just for a +1 to some stat.

I didn't know who Tautou was, until AVLE.It was good, but I think my expectations were too high and was hoping for Amelie 2 - Electric Warboogoaloo
It probably helped me that I missed Amelie and saw it later, after A Very Long Engagement.

Especially since Amelie is probably one of the best foreigns in recent memory.

Sure, there's been a lot of good foreigns and some great ones - but Amelie sticks out as one of those at the top of the pack, IMHO.

EDIT:

I actually didn't know of Audrey, until AVLE.

That film's what prompted me to see Amelie.

Before you play the game you should know some things....
HeartCore mod... you'll need to search around a little for it

Edit: Not sure if this is the last version, but... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fmftcephsxvn83e/-mRiTE9kgV

The HeartCore Mod aims to bring much needed increased difficulty and challenge to KOA. Its name is a pun targeted at many companies out there, asking them to actually have a heart for the core gamers and at the same time hints at its purpose of making the game more diffcult, more hardcore.

The mod does the following ( you can turn off or separately manually adjust all of these values to your liking as described further below):

1. EXP gain is down to 50%, which let's you explore the world without ever having to fear to outlevel the enemies too fast or to become lvl 40 midgame already; especially important in order to have room for character development when exploring the upcoming DLC. Due to the steep nature of the exp curve this means endgame roughly a 6 level difference to what you would be in vanilla. A very thorough player will get near lvl 40 in the maincampaign (would have outcapped in vanilla quite some time before the end of the main campaign) and should - just guessing here of course - be able to reach level 40 in the upcoming DLC then.

2. Doubles the damage the heroes receives

3. Halves the damage the hero does

4. Introduces soft cap for very high player damage (e.g. due to multiplier stacking); stealth attacks follow special rules

5. Implements extra damage mechanism against heroes with extremely high hp (again counterbalancing multiplier stacking)

6. Utilizes minimum damge per hit, regardless of armor/resistances, so the hero remains somewhat vulnerable despite over the top armor/resistance values (even groups of grey mobs can be a little dangerous now)

7. Doubles the mana cost of the hero's spells and abilities; adds minimum casting/ability use cost of 10 mana, brings mana regenaration down to 33% and mana potions down to 50%

8. Reduces the sell value of items as well as the gold found to one third of vanilla

9. Increases a paramter called "Attack Weight" that allwos more multiple attackers and stronger simultaneous special attacks at the same time (changed from 14 to 100)

10. All healing potions are at 50% effectiveness; health regeneration is only at 20% effectiveness, be it natural, by potion or by crafting

11. Via Cheat Engine tool (see below) I also suggest to set the game speed at 115% - still immersive and makes combat more interesting, cause you need to be more on your toes.

I thought Let the Right One In was one of the most boring, pointless films I've ever seen.  I never saw the American version because the original was such dribble.  

[customspoiler=Pet Peas]Yes, I know its drivel[/customspoiler]

[customspoiler=Pet Peas 2]Yes, I know its it's[/customspoiler]

[customspoiler=Pet Peas 3]Yes, I know its peeves[/customspoiler]

I thought Let the Right One In was one of the most boring, pointless films I've ever seen. I never saw the American version because the original was such dribble.

[customspoiler=Pet Peas]Yes, I know its drivel[/customspoiler]

[customspoiler=Pet Peas 2]Yes, I know its it's[/customspoiler]

[customspoiler=Pet Peas 3]Yes, I know its peeves[/customspoiler]
I felt the same about Amelie, but didn't want to say it. Words hurt.

Thanks for the info. Don't worry I do plenty of research. (It's the main reason it took me two days just to make a decision on getting it.) I'm fine with insane difficulty curve balls and game ending glitches aren't new to me. (the first one I ever encountered was Secret Of Evermore on SNES so I am very wary of such things.) As far as crafting goes I tend to hoard like a madman so I don't think I could find myself parting with too many items to begin with just for a +1 to some stat.
It's not a matter of insane difficulty, it's a matter of it being too easy. When you can one hit kill everything due to being 10 levels above them it's not a fun game.

And you won't be able to hoard much, the largest chest I think holds 150 items. I was constantly having to get rid of unique armor sets just because I didn't have space to keep them.

Oh yeah and for the record all my comments are in the context of playing the game on the hardest difficulty.

HeartCore mod... you'll need to search around a little for it

Edit: Not sure if this is the last version, but... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fmftcephsxvn83e/-mRiTE9kgV
This is really interesting, I think I'd heard of it but for some reason either didn't try it out or had already moved on from the game by then.

It's not a matter of insane difficulty, it's a matter of it being too easy. When you can one hit kill everything due to being 10 levels above them it's not a fun game.

And you won't be able to hoard much, the largest chest I think holds 150 items. I was constantly having to get rid of unique armor sets just because I didn't have space to keep them.

This is really interesting, I think I'd heard of it but for some reason either didn't try it out or had already moved on from the game by then.
So you're saying I should visit all areas as soon as I can, level up like a madman, and then feel godlike through my easy playthrough!

Oh well then my unwillingness to ever use anything should at least make it slightly more challenging anyway. For some reason a lot of the stuff I read didin't mention how easy the game could become. In fact one or two reviews said it was quite difficult. (Seems most reviewers are casuals so this shouldn't be surprising though.) I tend to limit myself quite a bit in these sorts of games anyway so maybe I will at least have a bit of fun with it. $4 ain't much.

The difficulty balance is totally screwed up in this game, they wrote a patch but never implemented it cause EA wouldn't pay to test the patch. Some things you can do to help this is avoid crafting and avoid using the special power thing (I think it's called Reckoning ability)

Don't enter new areas/zones til you're ready to play them cause the moment you set foot in a new area all enemies permanently lock to your current level. For example you could accidentally set foot in a zone for a split second at level 7, the whole area locks to level 7 and then when you proceed to playing that region later at level 13, everything in that area is still level 7 forever.

I had to start skipping side quests both cause there were too damn many, and cause I would wind up overleveling... cause in addition to new areas locking to your level, it's within a certain range of level for example 5-8, if you enter a 5-8 level area at level 12 it will just lock at 8. I was finding myself up to 10 levels over an area's max when first entering it.

That's all I can think of for now. It's very unfortunate cause this was a great game but has some very severe issues. I loved it and played for 80 hours before I got worn out by the endless quests and boring story/dialogue, I'm not saying don't play or don't buy this game, just know what you're getting into and do what you can to make the game work for you. I still look out for deals on the Steam version of the DLC, guess that's never happening.
I also loved KOA:R - it's certainly a really good game, but it's just too easy for me. While some of the quests weren't spectacular (namely the side stuff), the main stuff was pretty good. Now you explained why it's so easy - well, no wonder!

Teeth of Naros was pretty good, too - but, Dead Kel is absolutely out-standing for a DLC.

KOA:R and Dark Souls has some of my favorite combat in a RPG w/ a gamepad - the combat in both of those games are fantastic, IMHO. Certainly, those two make Skyrim feels clunky-as-hell (whether playing Skyrim w/ KB/mouse or gamepad; I prefer Skyrim w/ KB/mouse).

Yeah - I probably should get that Heart-Core Mod, if I ever decide to play KOA:R again.

What's weird is that as unbelievably unbalanced toward being too easy this game is... there were boss fights that were incredibly difficult in the midst of all this. There was one I even gave up on and never went back to beat. I only tried it twice but got frustrated and left. Another one took so many tries and having to avoid almost every hit just to survive it. Crazy.

I love the art style, the unique armor sets, the combat, the stealth, this game does a lot of things better than Skyrim believe it or not but is so flawed at the same time. If only we had gotten that patch. The monsters were all designed by McFarlane and are pretty cool. I'm trying to balance out my complaints with positives here!

What's weird is that as unbelievably unbalanced toward being too easy this game is... there were boss fights that were incredibly difficult in the midst of all this. There was one I even gave up on and never went back to beat. I only tried it twice but got frustrated and left. Another one took so many tries and having to avoid almost every hit just to survive it. Crazy.
Ah well maybe that's what those reviewers were on about then. If the boss fights are hard but the mooks are easy I guess that's acceptible.

Oh well then my unwillingness to ever use anything should at least make it slightly more challenging anyway. For some reason a lot of the stuff I read didin't mention how easy the game could become. In fact one or two reviews said it was quite difficult. (Seems most reviewers are casuals so this shouldn't be surprising though.) I tend to limit myself quite a bit in these sorts of games anyway so maybe I will at least have a bit of fun with it. $4 ain't much.
I suppose another thought would be to run around half-naked. Works for me! ;)

In WoW we'd occasionally do instances half-naked for various reasons but basically to up the difficulty.

I suppose another thought would be to run around half-naked. Works for me! ;)

In WoW we'd occasionally do instances half-naked for various reasons but basically to up the difficulty.
Last time I tried that I got a very stern and violent talking to by an officer of the law. Oh, wait, you mean in game, gotcha!

Pretentious foreign films and arse worm discussions?

Well I never!

Everytime I think about this thread I'll get the mental picture of a twelve year old watching the sex scene in the Director's Cut of Oldboy and going "hehe, butts"

The HeartCore Mod aims to bring much needed increased difficulty and challenge to KOA. Its name is a pun targeted at many companies out there, asking them to actually have a heart for the core gamers and at the same time hints at its purpose of making the game more diffcult, more hardcore.
I have never cringed this hard in my life.

I love the art style, the unique armor sets, the combat, the stealth, this game does a lot of things better than Skyrim believe it or not but is so flawed at the same time. If only we had gotten that patch. The monsters were all designed by McFarlane and are pretty cool. I'm trying to balance out my complaints with positives here!
You know another game I really-really liked but found WAY too easy?

Fable: The Lost Chapters.

Any difficulty mods out there for Fable: TLC?

About KOA: R - having Ken Rolston on-board from Morrowind fame + Oblivion fame probably helped, too. ;)

EDIT:

B/t 38 Studios Rhode Island (Working on the MMO) and BHG Baltimore - man, they had such a dream-team of RPG developers and staff there. It's a damn shame that...well, everything turned-out like it did financially. :(

That was a really good recommendation, Departures was a really sad but very sentimental movie, I watched it a few years ago. If you like foreign films I can recommend a few.

• Crying Out Love in the Center of the World
  • A Litre of Tears
  • Cape No. 7
  • Amélie
  • The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
Great recommendations!

here are a couple more:

• Ponette
  • Rabbit Proof Fence

Did I just fast scroll through a whole page of posts about intestinal parasites? \shudders
yes u did u went to worm talk party it better tlak about spanking tim with inmate spanking u and mysterd or jenna haze spanking all three of u aj will fart on u heh

i haven't been following this thread for all the foreign film talk, but if Run Lola Run hasn't been mentioned it should be. Excellent film!

EDIT:

Interesting - so, John Woo is involved w/ Red Cliff. And, there's a TWO part version of this, which is 2 hours a piece.

About Tony Leung - he was in 2046, another foreign flick I really liked.
Watch the two disc version of Red Cliff if you can - much better than the "theatrical" release that was chopped down to 2.5 hours.

2046 is indeed great film, as is In The Mood For Love.

You know the Steam sales are on vacation when the Steam thread is calm and the Amazon thread is where all the completely off topic banter is.

Anybody looking for Skyrim?
Isn't everyone either looking for or playing or thinking about skyrim at some point in the day? It randomly takes over half the people on my steam friends list for weeks at a time.

Edit: Just checked my email after posting and Amazon was so kind as to email me about Skyrim as well. It seems it is inevitable I must purchase it someday. My OCD about playing everything in order will likely have to be discarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back