Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey CAGS,

I’ve got some news I’m both excited and sad to share with you at the same time. I’ll be leaving the Digital Video Games team in Mid-March to join the marketing team for Amazon.com’s Loyalty and Rewards program, Amazon Coins. My boss and I have talked extensively about how to maintain and continue our presence here and across the other communities we’ve created in the past couple of years. To that end I’d like to introduce you to Josh, who take over monitoring, updating, and responding to this thread. Josh will be ramping up over the next couple of weeks, he  will be posting shortly to introduce himself.

Now that the “what’s going on” part of the message is out of the way I want to tell you all how much I love CAG and the posters here. This was the first community I joined when I started this job (anyone still remember that first thread?) and all of you have had a huge hand in shaping how we think about and execute Community Development and Management here at Amazon, which has in turn shaped my career these last two and a half years.

I started to write out a section calling out the regular posters and realized the list would be both overly long and incomplete at the same time. Instead I’d like to thank you all again, you all have my deep and sincere gratitude. I’ll still be around and my gaming accounts aren’t going anywhere so feel free to hit me up anytime you want to chat. I’ll probably still hang out in the thread too :).

Thanks again everyone, let me or Josh know if you have any questions!

The Indie Store has launched!
Amazon.com is launching a storefront dedicated to supporting and promoting PC/Mac/Web-based Indie Games. Our Digital Video Games team is a small group of passionate gamers and we’re all really excited to help Indie developers reach more customers quickly by providing a quick and simple process for bringing their games to market. Additionally we’ll be supporting the Indie Store with a ton of promotions, both at and after launch. Many of these promotions are designed to give the developer the opportunity to maximize their revenue. For example, Amazon is forfeiting all royalties from bundle sales and passing them along directly to the developer, we’ve also created an “Indie Spotlight” program to help customers learn more about the games and developers they love. We view the Indie developers as some of the most creative in the industry and we want to help them continue to create new and innovative experience for customers.

Why we are doing this:

• Allow customers to discover an entirely new category of games on Amazon.com
  • Help developers reach new customers quickly. Our onboarding process is straightforward and we want to sell every Indie game available
  • We want to leverage our strengths to support and help the developers who are driving forward innovation and creativity in the games industry
General Information

Hi CAGs,
I'll be posting deals we're running on Digital Games (PC/Mac, Free to Play, Sony/Microsoft Points/Subs).

I'm also here to answer questions you might have, get you closer to the developers by hosting Q&As, setting up podcasts, live streaming gameplay etc. If I don't respond to a question you have in thread please send me a PM. These ping my email address and make it more likely that I will see your question and respond more quickly.

Cheers,
Tony

FYI. EA Games sold by Amazon will not activate on Steam.
F.A.Q.S.:

1. Does the game I'm buying from Amazon Activate on Steam/Origin/Uplay? What DRM does the game use?

There are two places to identify DRM on a digital video game detail page:

At the top of the page, below the title:

16hm7a8.png

In the "Product Description" section:

r06ykl.jpg

2. Note on Electronic Arts Games - For the most part, EA games sold on Amazon do not activate on Steam. Most activate on Origin.

3. Note on DRM with limited activations:

Our Policy

4. Sometimes I'll do giveaways.

5. I work with developers and publishers to get fun (or at least what I think is fun) content to share with you all. Here are some examples:

a. Check out the Pax Gameplay videos here: Xcom: Enemy Unknown I played Xcom with Jake, the Creative Director for the game, a few months before the game came out Also, on this page, check out the Q&A, also a community driven event.

b. Check out the interview on this page: Borderlands 2 we did this interview at E3 with Randy Pitchford this year.

c. We've partnered with the ++GoodGames Podcast to feature many of the games we carry. They talk to the developers about the game development process, how the games are conceptualized and managed, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm working on putting together full link list and will update when I have it.

What else do we sell?

Xbox Live Points and Subscriptions:

1600 Microsoft Live Points
4000 Microsoft Live Points
12 Month XBOX Live Subscription
3 Month XBOX Live Subscription]
12 Month + 1 XBOX Live Subscription

PSN+ Subscriptions and PSN Points:

$20 PSN Points
$50 PSN Points
12 Month PSN+ Subscription
3 Month PSN+ Subscription

We also have a Free-2-Play store supported by our GameConnect technology. Gameconnect allows you to link your Amazon.com account with free-2-play and MMO accounts so that you can buy things like in game currency, premium game time/subscriptions, in game items, etc. on Amazon.com using your Amazon.com payment options and have this content delivered directly into your game.

5. Price Matching notes: Generally we do not match international retailers (GMG, Gamersgate, etc) or physical retailers (Best Buy, Newegg.com, etc.)
To check out the Free-2-Play games we offer you can visit our storefront here: Free-2-Play Store

Last edited by a moderator:
It's apparently "news" that Amazon listed the Dark Souls II release date as May 31. A bunch of gaming-related sites are listing that as the new release date according to Amazon.

Either Tony knows more about the date change then he's letting on and doesn't want to be responsible for a delay announcement, or his hamsters have too much control with far-reaching consequences, to change it to what he called one of their birthdays.

Or he's a robot in disguise and there's more to him than meets the eye.

It's apparently "news" that Amazon listed the Dark Souls II release date as May 31. A bunch of gaming-related sites are listing that as the new release date according to Amazon.

Either Tony knows more about the date change then he's letting on and doesn't want to be responsible for a delay announcement, or his hamsters have too much control with far-reaching consequences, to change it to what he called one of their birthdays.

Or he's a robot in disguise and there's more to him than meets the eye.
if thats the official date, looks like im getting ds2 for xbox

Edit: Tony if you could confirm if this is real or a placeholder that'd be awesomeeeeeeeeeee

if thats the official date, looks like im getting ds2 for xbox

Edit: Tony if you could confirm if this is real or a placeholder that'd be awesomeeeeeeeeeee
They really should either list things with no date or include a placeholder comment. It's ridiculous the amount of "news" product listings generate.

Anyone else need an ESO key that'll use it this weekend? I forgot I have one in a spare email a/c

Spacejunk? You need one?

Anyone else need an ESO key that'll use it this weekend? I forgot I have one in a spare email a/c

Spacejunk? You need one?
Thanks Hitler MinDRioT,

I'm downloading the client now. Supposed to be rainy all weekend (thankfully) so I know what I'll be doing.

Thanks Hitler MinDRioT,

I'm downloading the client now. Supposed to be rainy all weekend (thankfully) so I know what I'll be doing.
You're welcome. I'd completely forgotten it started today or I'd have dl'ed this overnight. Now what we'll be doing for the next few hours five or six hours is waiting for the game to download =P

Are you ever really clean and sober from that game? I haven't played it for about a year and I still feel its pull.
I'd played since early classic, and Cataclysm really ruined it for me... I can't even pop back in for some nostalgia. And I'm not playing some damn Kung Foo Panda expansion.

Hey anyone want a free PS VITA game Injustice Ultimate Edition (Vita)?

Got a spare code going spare US code only.

Drop me a PM first come first served  :D/

I'd played since early classic, and Cataclysm really ruined it for me... I can't even pop back in for some nostalgia. And I'm not playing some damn Kung Foo Panda expansion.
The Kung Fu Panda expansion was actually pretty decent, until they went All Horde All The TIme with the storyline and I just couldn't take seeing the green buggers on my screen any more. Making the next expac nothing but orcs sealed my retirement from the game. Only a gnome and dwarf-centric expansion has any chance to bring me back.

Are you ever really clean and sober from that game? I haven't played it for about a year and I still feel its pull.
Took two years to stop feeling its pull. Every once in a while, an expansion almost gets me and then I remember, "$15 per month."

I can buy too many games with $15 per month to throw it away on a game so old and limited as WoW.

Took two years to stop feeling its pull. Every once in a while, an expansion almost gets me and then I remember, "$15 per month."

I can buy too many games with $15 per month to throw it away on a game so old and limited as WoW.
Yeah I can't help but think I have the backlog of games I have because of the endless hours of WoW I played... in WoW I had that pressure of unfinished business that kept me logged-in. I like it when I finally complete a game but I never want to be without. Now it's just ridiculous though.

My $.02 on ESO

It's not bad, it just doesn't bring anything new to the table. It's Skyrim with other people running around and some MMO stuff shoehorned in.

Expect over time for it to become more and more WoW and less and less Skyrim, or at least don't expect much to get added on the single player voice acted story front after release. If SWTOR is any indication, anyway.

For now though you're essentially buying a single player game with some multiplayer capture the flag stuff for $60 + $15 a month.

I like getting in on MMO Betas just to make my own opinion...

I'll have a fresh perspective... since my only ES experience is ~one hour of Skyrim.

It'd have to be frelling fantastic for me to pay 60-80$ then 15$ a month...

Besides the game being another run of the mill MMO .. their pricing scheme is horrendous ans screams greed. Like they are just milking the IP even more now.

If you want the full game out the door you need to spend $20 for the Imperial edition. Then there will also be "cosmetic" micro-transactions. And the "standard" $15 monthly fee.

I was VERY interested in ESO when it was announced. Even spend 2 hours in line top play it at PAX East last year. Now, even with the discounts at places like GMG that can get you the Imperial edition at the standard versions price, I have zero interest in it. There is not even a little part of my mind that's like "Maybe you should give it a shot". .. nope just not interested.

I paid my fair share of MMO monthly fees over the years starting with UO and ending with WoW and just about everything in between. Now I'd much rather save the monthly fee and use that for something else .. like more cheap games to add to my backlog :)

I like getting in on MMO Betas just to make my own opinion...

I'll have a fresh perspective... since my only ES experience is ~one hour of Skyrim.

It'd have to be frelling fantastic for me to pay 60-80$ then 15$ a month...
Well if you're going to try them free is the best way.

I'd imagine they'll do some sort of free pass for a friend or free weekends or something every once in a while because they'd be nuts not to.

When they go to the inevitable F2P though it will kind of feel like they took the hardcore fans, grabbed them by the ankles, held them upside and and shook them for every last nickle before they let the masses in.

Then again maybe it will take off with the console peasants. Who knows? It's not like they have a ton of choices when it comes to MMOs so they might think it's hot shit and they're already used to paying high prices and subscription fees anyway.

What makes me sad about ESO is that a fuckton of people will buy it anyways, subscribe and play the shit out of it, just because it's Elder Scrolls and they're starved for more of the franchise. I don't know why people waste money on subpar, money-grab shit like that, but you bet they will.

The game ain't gonna go F2P, ever, in my opinion. It's on the same level as WoW, the Final Fantasy MMOs, and EVE. Regardless if the games have issues or suck, they're going to have dedicated fans that keep it going no matter what. Unless ESO horrifically bombs (which, from playing it myself, it probably won't, because it's still playable), it's going to be a waste of money from now until the servers shut down in the distant future.

Good, bad, absolutely great or total dog shit, unless ESO introduces some badger NPCs, I won't EVER play it. EVER! There's a distinct badger discrimination going on and Shelter, alone, won't cut it.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_elder_scrolls_online/b/pc/archive/2014/02/07/elder-scrolls-online-preview-first-few-hours.aspx

There's an article saying the beginning sucks, but after the first area it's like a whole different game. I've read a few other places that said what they played was pretty bad, with the caveat that they didn't play a whole lot...so who knows, maybe it's not bad after that first area.

Honestly I would be okay with it being terrible, because if there was an elder scrolls mmo that was legitimately good I'd probably lose my job

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_elder_scrolls_online/b/pc/archive/2014/02/07/elder-scrolls-online-preview-first-few-hours.aspx

There's an article saying the beginning sucks, but after the first area it's like a whole different game. I've read a few other places that said what they played was pretty bad, with the caveat that they didn't play a whole lot...so who knows, maybe it's not bad after that first area.

Honestly I would be okay with it being terrible, because if there was an elder scrolls mmo that was legitimately good I'd probably lose my job
The environment you're in doesn't change the fact that the gameplay is a sloppy Skyrim/WoW hybrid that is inferior to both...

Enjoy .. can't say I did that much. Played for 3 hours in one of the last betas and can't say I was impressed much.
Doh, I guess it did read like that. I didn't use the code. I already have one.

I was saying whoever gets it will enjoy downloading 50gb+ =D

I set it going earlier and gave up to play some free BL2.

I'll finish downloading it overnight. It's friggin huge.

The environment you're in doesn't change the fact that the gameplay is a sloppy Skyrim/WoW hybrid that is inferior to both...
Agreed that it doesn't really change that much. All that happens is that you aren't closed off on one small island but have more area to run around in after you get done Stros M'kai, Khenarthi's Roost or Bleakrock Isle. The mechanics are all the same though. Not really getting where it's a totally different game other than just having a bigger map.

Agreed that it doesn't really change that much. All that happens is that you aren't closed off on one small island but have more area to run around in after you get done Stros M'kai, Khenarthi's Roost or Bleakrock Isle. The mechanics are all the same though. Not really getting where it's a totally different game other than just having a bigger map.
That's the thing though. Just because something is big doesn't mean it's better. The age old "Quality over quantity" phrase comes to mind. Crawling around exploring, there wasn't really any reason to explore. Hell, you can't even go underwater anymore.

The entire game is just a crappy Skyrim with multiplayer thrown in. That doesn't mean it's not fun, I'd play it, but with the price... yeah right.

I think the Capitals avatar is supposed to garner pity for following such a heart-breaking franchise...my avatar feels the pain as well!

There are some cool similarities between hockey and soccer...mainly the lanes and angles from one player to another to pass the puck/ball. I enjoy watching it every once in a while until some guy gets his little foot stepped on and he goes down to the ground like he was shot.

In conclusion, I too would like FIFA 14 for $2. Make it so!
So...much...pain. Halak. Lundqvist. Damn Rangers. I like to boot up Fifa, buy everyone as Barcelona and win everything just to know what winning feels like sometimes. Is that too much to ask?

What makes me sad about ESO is that a fuckton of people will buy it anyways, subscribe and play the shit out of it, just because it's Elder Scrolls and they're starved for more of the franchise. I don't know why people waste money on subpar, money-grab shit like that, but you bet they will.

The game ain't gonna go F2P, ever, in my opinion. It's on the same level as WoW, the Final Fantasy MMOs, and EVE. Regardless if the games have issues or suck, they're going to have dedicated fans that keep it going no matter what. Unless ESO horrifically bombs (which, from playing it myself, it probably won't, because it's still playable), it's going to be a waste of money from now until the servers shut down in the distant future.
I agree. ESO seems to bring nothing to the table except being staged in the ES universe, which seems to be the primary selling point. Everything I have seen about the game appears to be bland and generic from the combat to the questing.

I'm sure they will recoup the production money from 'box' sales and any subscription will be profit.  I don't expect it to stay subscription based for very long, though.  Still... long enough for them to pocket a few million.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back