Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey CAGS,

I’ve got some news I’m both excited and sad to share with you at the same time. I’ll be leaving the Digital Video Games team in Mid-March to join the marketing team for Amazon.com’s Loyalty and Rewards program, Amazon Coins. My boss and I have talked extensively about how to maintain and continue our presence here and across the other communities we’ve created in the past couple of years. To that end I’d like to introduce you to Josh, who take over monitoring, updating, and responding to this thread. Josh will be ramping up over the next couple of weeks, he  will be posting shortly to introduce himself.

Now that the “what’s going on” part of the message is out of the way I want to tell you all how much I love CAG and the posters here. This was the first community I joined when I started this job (anyone still remember that first thread?) and all of you have had a huge hand in shaping how we think about and execute Community Development and Management here at Amazon, which has in turn shaped my career these last two and a half years.

I started to write out a section calling out the regular posters and realized the list would be both overly long and incomplete at the same time. Instead I’d like to thank you all again, you all have my deep and sincere gratitude. I’ll still be around and my gaming accounts aren’t going anywhere so feel free to hit me up anytime you want to chat. I’ll probably still hang out in the thread too :).

Thanks again everyone, let me or Josh know if you have any questions!

The Indie Store has launched!
Amazon.com is launching a storefront dedicated to supporting and promoting PC/Mac/Web-based Indie Games. Our Digital Video Games team is a small group of passionate gamers and we’re all really excited to help Indie developers reach more customers quickly by providing a quick and simple process for bringing their games to market. Additionally we’ll be supporting the Indie Store with a ton of promotions, both at and after launch. Many of these promotions are designed to give the developer the opportunity to maximize their revenue. For example, Amazon is forfeiting all royalties from bundle sales and passing them along directly to the developer, we’ve also created an “Indie Spotlight” program to help customers learn more about the games and developers they love. We view the Indie developers as some of the most creative in the industry and we want to help them continue to create new and innovative experience for customers.

Why we are doing this:

• Allow customers to discover an entirely new category of games on Amazon.com
  • Help developers reach new customers quickly. Our onboarding process is straightforward and we want to sell every Indie game available
  • We want to leverage our strengths to support and help the developers who are driving forward innovation and creativity in the games industry
General Information

Hi CAGs,
I'll be posting deals we're running on Digital Games (PC/Mac, Free to Play, Sony/Microsoft Points/Subs).

I'm also here to answer questions you might have, get you closer to the developers by hosting Q&As, setting up podcasts, live streaming gameplay etc. If I don't respond to a question you have in thread please send me a PM. These ping my email address and make it more likely that I will see your question and respond more quickly.

Cheers,
Tony

FYI. EA Games sold by Amazon will not activate on Steam.
F.A.Q.S.:

1. Does the game I'm buying from Amazon Activate on Steam/Origin/Uplay? What DRM does the game use?

There are two places to identify DRM on a digital video game detail page:

At the top of the page, below the title:

16hm7a8.png

In the "Product Description" section:

r06ykl.jpg

2. Note on Electronic Arts Games - For the most part, EA games sold on Amazon do not activate on Steam. Most activate on Origin.

3. Note on DRM with limited activations:

Our Policy

4. Sometimes I'll do giveaways.

5. I work with developers and publishers to get fun (or at least what I think is fun) content to share with you all. Here are some examples:

a. Check out the Pax Gameplay videos here: Xcom: Enemy Unknown I played Xcom with Jake, the Creative Director for the game, a few months before the game came out Also, on this page, check out the Q&A, also a community driven event.

b. Check out the interview on this page: Borderlands 2 we did this interview at E3 with Randy Pitchford this year.

c. We've partnered with the ++GoodGames Podcast to feature many of the games we carry. They talk to the developers about the game development process, how the games are conceptualized and managed, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm working on putting together full link list and will update when I have it.

What else do we sell?

Xbox Live Points and Subscriptions:

1600 Microsoft Live Points
4000 Microsoft Live Points
12 Month XBOX Live Subscription
3 Month XBOX Live Subscription]
12 Month + 1 XBOX Live Subscription

PSN+ Subscriptions and PSN Points:

$20 PSN Points
$50 PSN Points
12 Month PSN+ Subscription
3 Month PSN+ Subscription

We also have a Free-2-Play store supported by our GameConnect technology. Gameconnect allows you to link your Amazon.com account with free-2-play and MMO accounts so that you can buy things like in game currency, premium game time/subscriptions, in game items, etc. on Amazon.com using your Amazon.com payment options and have this content delivered directly into your game.

5. Price Matching notes: Generally we do not match international retailers (GMG, Gamersgate, etc) or physical retailers (Best Buy, Newegg.com, etc.)
To check out the Free-2-Play games we offer you can visit our storefront here: Free-2-Play Store

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, that's frustrating. I just spent $5 on Typing of the Dead 2 weeks ago. Oh well...

I'm pretty sure this means I'll be able to get the DLC for it though, so I'll take a bite anyway.
Yeah. I'm in the same place with Alpha Protocol.

Well, I bought the first two tiers. Kind of bummed about the single-key per tier approach. I already have the Genesis games (though not on Steam) from Amazon. Same with Company of Heroes. Still a great buy, though.
Single key approach will probably swear me off this one even with the semi-shiny allure of the TW offerings (I have neither). I'm still gunshy since Empire was a digital coaster for me when I bought it two years ago with no tech support from Steam or the Devs. I hesitate about whether either of these TW titles will work for me, either.

I love adventure and hidden object games, have since I was a kid playing the old Cyan games and still love to see them on PC. The Bundle of Nancys deal that Tony ran some time ago was epic. :) The Flappy Bird and other similar types of casual games, I prefer to play on my phone while I'm in transit or waiting at the theatre or something. It would be nice if we could more easily filter them out again on Amazon since the change over with the PC and Mac download categories with casual being integrated (despite that you can still see just casual games in their own category), but I don't begrudge Amazon (or Steam when mobile ports show up there) selling them.
Oooh. Sorry to hear I missed that Nancy deal. Hope that's a re-run. I'll get all kinds of domestic brownie points.

It's an OK TPS with interesting, yet cliché story and horribad voice acting/dialogue.
Thx. TPSes are my thing. FP stuff makes me have to have a bowel movement half the time (try fishing with me on a choppy Gulf of Mexico - I'm a pansy with motion sickness of any kind). I still play FP stuff, but it better be damn entertaining. :)

Anyway, still pondering...

I was just informed that I was gifted a Gun Monkeys key via SteamGifts thanks to the generosity of LN3000 and Motoki.  Thank you very much, guys!

No it was just pulled because they are being lame and don't want a price match to Steam + a coupon which only some people had anyway.

But how many people really care about the casual games outside of me, you, and MrNinjaSquirrel? I fully support more casual fare coming to Amazon with Steam keys, but I'm not sure there's a big market for it.

I must be getting old, but these days I'm more motivated to play the semi-casual "quicky" games like tower defense etc. that you can complete a round or two in short bursts (sub 1 hour periods) than put in effort/find multiple hours slots into the more "serious" games...

I must be getting old, but these days I'm more motivated to play the semi-casual "quicky" games like tower defense etc. that you can complete a round or two in short bursts (sub 1 hour periods) than put in effort/find multiple hours slots into the more "serious" games...
I'm with you there, but my vice has been platformers. I can play a level or two at a time, put it down, then come back a few days later. There's not a huge learning curve with most of them (as long as it's not a trial and error type), so if I can't play for a week, I'm not totally lost when I pick it back up.

Bingo. Well, actually bingo is pretty involved and long.

But yeah. For me, too.

I tried to explain elsewhere in a thread about MP games vs. SP games that with two kids, wife, three dogs, two cats, an on-call-during-all-daylight-hours job, and an herb garden, I might have two hours to play, or I might have two minutes. I can't always commit like I used to.

Because bad kiddo dreams, cats vomiting, dogs pissing the floor, plumbing freezing, yard accumulating debris, and plants needing watering (not to mention dinner making, love making - rare but still happening!), and other kinds of good ol' real life stuff trumps getting yelled at by 13-year-olds with killer reflexes, no edit function, and no perspective is no longer "fun" for me.

Okay. My old man rant is over.

But yeah. For me, too.

I tried to explain elsewhere in a thread about MP games vs. SP games that with two kids, wife, three dogs, two cats, an on-call-during-all-daylight-hours job, and an herb garden, I might have two hours to play, or I might have two minutes. I can't always commit like I used to.

Because bad kiddo dreams, cats vomiting, dogs pissing the floor, plumbing freezing, yard accumulating debris, and plants needing watering (not to mention dinner making, love making - rare but still happening!, and other kinds of good ol' real life stuff trumps getting yelled at by 13-year-olds with killer reflexes, no edit function, and no perspective is no longer "fun" for me.

www.bigfishgames.com

I knew it was coming. But you done good. Real good. Lol.

Of course, if I had one of *those* herb gardens, I wouldn't be nearly as wound up today. Wife got dropped by health insurance, bank locked me out of my own account at work for wiring money for an acquisition because they "had concerns" about it. Nice to know they're professionals in my field and are preventing me from spending my money.

Also, I was supposed to include the phrase DOTA 2 somewhere in my rant, but it didn't happen.

edit: Dammit! I went off and ranted again! Om

I haven't even played DOTA 1 so you are ahead of me.
I haven't played DOTA 2. I read the marketing blurb and thought, "That sounds kinda fun. A tactical kinda game." And then I went to the forums and started reading reviews. The second review I read was an experience the reviewer had in game, and that was all I needed to read. I no longer find enjoyment in intolerant anger spewing.

I'm super lazy and only bother to check back and read this thread every 500 pages or so, which is just often enough to see a bunch of people saying they missed a giveaway, but I did see something about a changing of the ranks.

So Congratulations and Farewell Tony, and Welcome NewGuy. You will be NewGuy until you have proved your... wait, you gave away free Titanfall? Welcome Lord Josh; all hail the Amazon Overlords.

P.S. Amazon has a loyalty program? I get everything but gas there, so I must be due like a million coins or whatever!

P.P.S. Went back a few dozen pages. As someone who plays on both consoles and PCs, I like having a thread just for PC games. I'm sure this opinion is too late to matter, but thought that maybe some of the PC only guys would appreciate the support. :D

I haven't played DOTA 2. I read the marketing blurb and thought, "That sounds kinda fun. A tactical kinda game." And then I went to the forums and started reading reviews. The second review I read was an experience the reviewer had in game, and that was all I needed to read. I no longer find enjoyment in intolerant anger spewing.
That's why you play with friends . . . You can also just mute them. Also , DOTA's community i find is one of extremes - both good and bad , not JUST bad. Dota 2 is a great game well worth putting your time in , and there is a lot of depth to it.

That's why you play with friends . . . You can also just mute them. Also , DOTA's community i find is one of extremes - both good and bad , not JUST bad. Dota 2 is a great game well worth putting your time in , and there is a lot of depth to it. 
I think it's a fine game if you can find 4 other friends to play this with, otherwise chances are you'll group up with someone who will quit/abandon 2 mins into the game, which will cause another to quit, and you're suddenly playing 3v5... that is true for the opposing team too, and it's no fun playing matchmaking lottery, steamrolling or be steamrolled.

Hence, I personally just play vs bots with another friend - bots (and your friend too hopefully :p) won't complain if you need to pause and handle IRL stuffs mid-game either.

I think it's a fine game if you can find 4 other friends to play this with, otherwise chances are you'll group up with someone who will quit/abandon 2 mins into the game, which will cause another to quit, and you're suddenly playing 3v5... that is true for the opposing team too, and it's no fun playing matchmaking lottery, steamrolling or be steamrolled.

Hence, I personally just play vs bots with another friend - bots (and your friend too hopefully :p) won't complain if you need to pause and handle IRL stuffs mid-game either.
I played a lot of DOTA during the days of Warcraft 3, it's a great game for LAN party...man I miss those days. I share the same sentiment, playing online with strangers just felt like it is missing something. The thrill of shouting "Fresh Meat!" when your opponent is sitting next to you is priceless.

I'm sure there are some great folks that play. But being well worth my time...maybe. The depth is what attracted me to begin with.

^This. If I knew four folks well enough to play, then I'd probably give it a crack every now and again. But yeah. The real life stuff is relevant as well.

I played a lot of DOTA during the days of Warcraft 3, it's a great game for LAN party...man I miss those days. I share the same sentiment, playing online with strangers just felt like it is missing something. The thrill of shouting "Fresh Meat!" when your opponent is sitting next to you is priceless.
Ah...LAN parties. I remember playing a lot of...something...maybe Homeworld?

But yeah. For me, too.

Because bad kiddo dreams, cats vomiting, dogs pissing the floor, plumbing freezing, yard accumulating debris, and plants needing watering (not to mention dinner making, love making - rare but still happening!), and other kinds of good ol' real life stuff trumps getting yelled at by 13-year-olds with killer reflexes, no edit function, and no perspective is no longer "fun" for me.

wow I thought I was alone. I started bioshock infinite 10 days ago. It says 25 hours played, I think I am finally nearing the end. At least 15 hours idling. 10 years ago a game like that was beat in a day and I was onto some multiplayer. No that's an afterthought.

but with that being said in 11 years. I will have to deal with a t
13 year old screaming at me.

There's rumors that this might be a Humble Bundle but it's far from comprehensive and those steam db entries for Sega bundles have been red herrings before, at least for anything that would be remotely a indie bundle level deal.
Considering how many of us just bought Alpha Protocol when it was on sale a couple weeks ago . . . makes perfect sense that it goes HB soon. :|
And I called it, thanks SEGA!

wow I thought I was alone. I started bioshock infinite 10 days ago. It says 25 hours played, I think I am finally nearing the end. At least 15 hours idling. 10 years ago a game like that was beat in a day and I was onto some multiplayer. No that's an afterthought.

but with that being said in 11 years. I will have to deal with a t
13 year old screaming at me.
Yes. Sucks being a semi-responsible adult sometimes. :)

I'm with you there, but my vice has been platformers. I can play a level or two at a time, put it down, then come back a few days later. There's not a huge learning curve with most of them (as long as it's not a trial and error type), so if I can't play for a week, I'm not totally lost when I pick it back up.
Someone hasn't played They Bleed Pixels.

That's... not how that meme works. :wall:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back