Amazon prime for students 39.99, if your renewal is coming up

Vortextk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I signed up for amazon prime last year with my .edu address and they gave me a free year, originally from a post here on CAG.

Mine just expired today, I didn't have it set to auto charge, and they fired off an e-mail pretty much immediately allowing me to renew for another year at 39.99. It seems to last even longer at that rate, but I can't remember the exact wording. If you got in on this last year maybe make sure yours is set to not auto renew. You can see the bonus listed at the bottom of this picture too, I don't know if that's old or new with prime. I looked at the movies, seemed to be limited and old but whatever, free if you want to use it.

prime.png

mine actually expired today I signed up under a new account my sisters, and inputted my.edu same e-mail address used, I got another whole free year of student prime

Now when they charge tax I won't be buying as often anymore unless I absolutely want to get a sealed copy

I got the email as well, mine expires next year and was an edu account as well. My email said that the deal will still be available when my prime expires, I think it's a good deal.

[quote name='CaoPi']mine actually expired today I signed up under a new account my sisters, and inputted my.edu same e-mail address used, I got another whole free year of student prime

Now when they charge tax I won't be buying as often anymore unless I absolutely want to get a sealed copy[/QUOTE]

Do I have to create a whole nother Amazon account too? I actually have 2 seperate .edu addresses I can use.

Is the .edu email just used for registration? I can use my sisters email but i want to keep it on my account. Is this possible?

I got the email as well. Was going to post about it but I figured 1) This is the wrong section and 2) it might be an email exclusive offer. My Prime doesn't expire until November but I'm definitely in for one. I love Prime and was probably going to cough up the $80 but for $40 it seems like a no-brainer.

[quote name='CaoPi']mine actually expired today I signed up under a new account my sisters, and inputted my.edu same e-mail address used, I got another whole free year of student prime

Now when they charge tax I won't be buying as often anymore unless I absolutely want to get a sealed copy[/QUOTE]

I didn't even know it was still going on for new sign ups. That's cool, but I am kind of screwing amazon in other ways that I'm sure people would just yell at me for :whistle2:# so I don't mind paying for prime. 80 would've been a little harsh but I was keeping it, 40 was sweet.

[quote name='Apostle22']Is the .edu email just used for registration? I can use my sisters email but i want to keep it on my account. Is this possible?[/QUOTE]

Go try it out, somehow, or google stuff. I forget exactly how it worked, but my amazon account is under my g-mail account and that's where this e-mail went, so yes it should still be possible. I don't remember how I linked the .edu address into prime/my account.

[quote name='mkaliaz']Do I have to create a whole nother Amazon account too? I actually have 2 seperate .edu addresses I can use.[/QUOTE]

that was what I did so yes!

Yeah, I got this under my gmail account as well. I forget how I set it up, but it was probably something in the registration that let me do that.

Good deal, but once they start charging tax I won't use Amazon nearly as much. That's their only advantage over driving down the road to Best Buy.

Mine just expired today too. I received the same email and I will definitely be renewing for $40. I used it A LOT more than I thought I would over the year. Especially on black friday.

Ill take amazon over best buy. Screw best buy. Charging on preorders before shipment and cause an overdraft fee (though it was my fault, but I still hate them nonetheless:D:D:D).

And they sold a copy of a game that was reserved for me (preordered).

$40 is tempting... but I'm not sure I should. I mean, it was nice not having to order more than $25 for FSSS but I rarely bought anything that cost under $25 and I'm never in a rush to get my stuff...

Just did it too. It's for FOUR years, including the year that was free, and it will auto renew probably.

I would have never paid 40 bucks for shipping for a year if I didnt enjoy the 2 day shipping so much. Having a free year made me realize its worth it....I remember back in the day adding things to get over 25 for slow shipping, this is definitely money well spent considering how often I order from amazon

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Just did it too. It's for FOUR years, including the year that was free, and it will auto renew probably.

I would have never paid 40 bucks for shipping for a year if I didnt enjoy the 2 day shipping so much. Having a free year made me realize its worth it....I remember back in the day adding things to get over 25 for slow shipping, this is definitely money well spent considering how often I order from amazon[/QUOTE]

Are you saying it will renew at the $39 rate for 4 years? I got the email too but my free year doesn't expire until March so I'm obviously waiting to renew.

[quote name='lawdood']Are you saying it will renew at the $39 rate for 4 years? I got the email too but my free year doesn't expire until March so I'm obviously waiting to renew.[/QUOTE]

you get 50% off the membership for up to 4 years (or as long as you "stay a student") so assuming you don't cancel you are kinda buying 2 years and getting 1 free

but all you pay now is $40 (and then $40 on your renewal date)

I got this email this morning also. So can you still share it with 4 other people and get streaming videos unlike the free student account?

I have more .edu emails I could use but I would have to create a new account I suppose and I find it a little unethical to get more free accounts.

I renewed yesterday. I ordered a lot from Amazon over the past year and I was considering paying $79 to renew until I saw the deal for $39. It was great not having to worry about a $25 minimum and the 2 day shipping was great. Amazon was $20 less for a new textbook than the bookstore's used price and without 2 day shipping it would have arrived after the semester started (I know it would only be a few days but it was needed right away). Even when the cheaper books required for a course (like the $20 - $30 books), and Amazon is $5 less than the bookstore, it was nice to have Prime. And of course, all the game purchases too.

[quote name='sdclippers']How do you get an .edu email account? I'm attending a community college in the fall so I'm a bit lost.[/QUOTE]

your community college should give you one

Just curious, I take it you can no longer register for Amazon Mom for free prime? Or are there specific discounts for Student members?

Just a note, if you have it and you're not sure if you're going to renew, throw in some preorders with free release day shipping. Whether you have prime at that time of release or not, you made the order when you did and it should stick. I ordered Skyrim, MW3, Arkham City and mass Effect 3 today on my last day. Can always cancel, too.

[quote name='buckythekat']your community college should give you one[/QUOTE]

I don't think I've ever seen a CM give one out or heard of them doing it.

Also mine expires in Feb, surprise you guys didn't catch the awesome error that gave you free prime a few months back.

[quote name='CyReN']I don't think I've ever seen a CM give one out or heard of them doing it.

Also mine expires in Feb, surprise you guys didn't catch the awesome error that game you free prime a few months back.[/QUOTE]

Mine did, i got mine before i even started classes

Help?

ok my membership expires in Jan 2012. It says i can renew it when that expire for $40 (but not sure). so Will this deal be available in Jan. or what? the free student trail for a year was available for a good amount of time, over an year i think. so will this be as well.

Mine just expired today. Kinda curious how long I can wait to renew for $39 before that deal expires. Don't really need Prime right now and trying to decide if it's worth it for me. If Newegg price matches games with Amazon I'll probably go with them for now; have had better luck with their free shipping speeds in the past.

I cancelled mine yesterday before it expired. Im going to grad school so I have a new email address. Used the same account but with new .edu and got me another year!

Mine expires tomorrow and I just got this email. Does anyone know when this offer expires? Do I still have to have my current membership going before I qualify for this offer? I don't get paid until next week and this is a great offer...

EDIT: Nevermind, I just bit the bullet, I'll be broke till next week. It's so worth it though, I ordered so damn much from Amazon Prime over the last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had my girlfriend register for Prime with her student ID. I completely forgot that my school gives us our .edu email addresses for life (I graduated 5 years ago and mine is still active). I guess I'm signing up, too!

[quote name='friedram']Amazon Mom for the win. No need for a .edu address.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm now a mom! Want to try out the AP instant view movies because of the Netflix bs.

Edit: damn, you must be a paying member to have free instant view

is there any news on sales tax in california? i don't want to sign up for prime if theres a change coming, googled it and only found articles on amazon appealing something, but no date for a change.

[quote name='Ski Hawk']Anyone else having this problem? I signed up for Amazon mom a day before my free year of prime with Student ended, because I didn't know about this deal. Now, when I try clicking the link to get the discounted prime membership (http://www.amazon.com/b/?ie=UTF8&no...-20&hvadid=10648696179&ref=pd_sl_2f62txde0r_e) It just takes me back to the Student page. I wonder if this is because I already have Prime through Amazon mom?[/QUOTE]
Do you see the offer on the Amazon Student page? I didn't do the Amazon Mom thing and this is what I see (I just renewed my Student Prime for $39 since the free year was ending today):

S8E4N.png

[quote name='mgorsi']Help?

ok my membership expires in Jan 2012. It says i can renew it when that expire for $40 (but not sure). so Will this deal be available in Jan. or what? the free student trail for a year was available for a good amount of time, over an year i think. so will this be as well.[/QUOTE]

Mine expires in March and the email states you can get that rate when your free membership ends, so you're good. Just hold onto the email.

Also, someone else asked about the streaming video, and the email also states that the $39 membership INCLUDES the streaming.

[quote name='MICHAE2414']Do you see the offer on the Amazon Student page? I didn't do the Amazon Mom thing and this is what I see (I just renewed my Student Prime for $39 since the free year was ending today):

S8E4N.png
[/QUOTE]
Yes, that's exactly what I see, but when I click "upgrade now" it just brings me back to the exact same page. I'll probably call Amazon tomorrow. I'm thinking if I cancelled Mom I could get it to work, but I don't want to risk that.

I'm still kind of ticked that as a regular prime customer, who has been loyal for 3 years now, never gets any kind of discount on the service. Oh well, guess its time to stretch the truth to save some cash.

Mine is still shared with another account after signing up for 40 bucks. It's not a different level of prime, it's just a discount.

[quote name='emperordahc']Can the $40 prime be shared with four other "family members" like the fully priced version?![/QUOTE]

only if you already added them when you were a fully paid member

otherwise apparently it's considered part of Amazon Student and you can't add people (I learned that the hard way when I accidentally removed my sister from my membership last year, thankfully she is a student herself so she just signed up for her own account)

[quote name='Vortextk']Mine is still shared with another account after signing up for 40 bucks. It's not a different level of prime, it's just a discount.[/QUOTE]

no it is, you can't add anyone

How much content is on this instant stream thing? Reason I ask is if I can use this as a $39 replacement for my netflix, I will. If it has shit for content I wont.

bread's done
Back