Amazon Prime turning into scam

terutt

CAGiversary!
I've been a "prime" member for years (for those unfamiliar with it, you basically pay $70 a year and all your stuff ships free).

Increasingly though, Amazon is acting as a front-end for other merchants and...surprise! Prime does not apply.

Take mercenaries 2 for example. Ok, I can buy through Amazon and get my free shipping for $59 or I can buy through Hubbagames or J&R via the Amazon site for $39 (which seems to be the going rate for this game these days) and I pay the shipping. I noticed this ALOT while I was doing my Xmas shopping..Amazon didn't have what I needed (or it was a lot pricier), but they were more than happy to direct me to another retailer who did, and no "prime" shipping.

It seems that the "go-forward" business model for Amazon is to simply be the ordering front end for other businesses that actually hold the inventory. Worth keeping in mind when you splurge for Prime..it is getting harder and harder to get your money's worth out of the deal.

Does this ship free using Super Saver Shipper? Oh, damn it, they're OOS on Amazon Prime. Hubba Games is selling Amazon Prime for 109.00 plus 3.99 shipping. Damn you Hubba Games!

*will be hitting F5 until Amazon Prime comes back in stock*

If you're going to base this off of video games alone, sure. But people buy other things on Amazon where Prime is a killer deal.

cag.jpg

Since i got Prime for only 56 bucks for a year (plus the free month) i figure its worth it. Ive enjoyed it already definitely some kicking stuff!

I cannot begin to tell you how many separate orders I have made off of Amazon in the last two years--most of them gaming-related--and have not once felt like I have been duped or misled. As a matter of fact, I have only on very rare occasion bought anything from a third-party seller.

In short, Amazon Prime is an outstanding investment for anyone willing to buy off of Amazon even once a month, on average.

I buy from Amazon 2-3 times a month at least and not having to scrounge to get a filler for free shipping for something I probably wouldnt buy otherwise actually saves me a significant amount of money even considering the seemingly steep $80 pricetag. The service gets better the more you use it and I was always well aware of it not applying to most third-party sellers (unless they opt in for Amazon.com's fulfillment service)

[quote name='jollydwarf']I cannot begin to tell you how many separate orders I have made off of Amazon in the last two years--most of them gaming-related--and have not once felt like I have been duped or misled. As a matter of fact, I have only on very rare occasion bought anything from a third-party seller.

In short, Amazon Prime is an outstanding investment for anyone willing to buy off of Amazon even once a month, on average.[/QUOTE]

I'm with Jolly, Prime is awesome.

Prime is great!!! If you split the cost with other people it makes 2,000,000 times better, i got my year for $16, i got 2 wiis last week and thanks to amazon i avoided those crazy ass lines

I don't know why any of you pay $80 for it. Its easy to split it between people and it works to $15 a year which is definitely the price its worth.

I usually only use the marketplace for movies that are $1-5 and have rarely had a problem. Never had the seller disappear like ebay and have always got my item or refunded.

Lots of small businesses are moving to use Amazon's storefront process because they can use all of Amazon's web infrastructure without spending much money on their own side of things. That might allow them to offer something cheaper than Amazon does, though that's more an exception than a rule. Plus, I trust Amazon to get something back in stock again much quicker or at all versus a storefront seller.

I had Prime for a year, then let it lapse for a year, and picked it up again for another year. I didn't realize I missed it until I had it again, and will struggle again with picking it up for another year, because in the couple of weeks I've had it, I've almost saved all the money I paid for it on orders I had to do with 2-day shipping for when I ordered it.

Prime isn't a scam. Not picking and choosing in ordering from Amazon isn't their issue.

Ugh...of all the things to complain about...

And I love how people throw the word "scam" around. I think I have seen just about every business referred to as a "scam" at least once.

[quote name='Lice']I don't know why any of you pay $80 for it. Its easy to split it between people and it works to $15 a year which is definitely the price its worth.

I usually only use the marketplace for movies that are $1-5 and have rarely had a problem. Never had the seller disappear like ebay and have always got my item or refunded.[/QUOTE]

Read the Terms of Service.

I wouldn't mind if there was a toggle to never ever show any market place options unless you go to buy more button.... Prime should be a giant filter to never pay for shipping so I really don't want to see items that appear just like it was coming from Amazon but not because it's being shipped by XYZ in just one teeny bitty spot.

I'd rather see them say Out of stock, and I click Buy More options if I truly want to go into paying for shipping.

Prime spoiled it for me.

It's not a scam.

Can't say I've ever had that happen with books. Wait... Amazon sells more than games? And other sellers only come in to play when Amazon is out of stock on something?

Worst thread of the year?

[quote name='ninja dog']I would totally go for prime....if only my family members would sign up with me[/quote]

Get friends or people on this board...

DO it... do it.

I just use the free super saver shipping. There's precious little I need to have the day it comes out, or the day after I order it. Where I live Super Saver takes about 3-5 days to get to me.

And lately I've noticed that new games I've preordered get shipped overnight. I used Super Saver for Fallout 3 and the new WoW expansion and I got those in my mailbox on release day.

[quote name='Lice']Get friends or people on this board...

DO it... do it.[/QUOTE]

you're not supposed to discuss that....which is why I'm hoping for someone like my Parents or Maybe some other relatives will get in on it.

[quote name='crzyboy88']I would already have Prime if Amazon didn't charge tax to NY.[/quote]

I was so unhappy when I saw on the news that NY passed a bill (or sommething along those lines) making Amazon customers pay tax.

I blame NYC. Always ruining it for the rest of NY.

Although Newegg charged tax here for a while, then they decided to just stop taxing us. That was nice.

CheapyD asked that the loophole regarding Amazon Prime no longer be mentioned, heck we used to have a thread just for people to form groups.

Anyway in certain categories Amazon doesn't really carry squat themselves , that is when I feel jipped but that isn't enough for me to knock prime. I've ordered so much mess thanks to not having some minimum amount I need for free shipping or just wanting something super fast that I would gladly pay for the service again and again.

Not to mention I had no fears about ordering a few days before Christmas, I knew I would get it in time . Not having to tackle stores this time of year is worth the money by itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is the stupid.

Why is it so surprising that you can't use prime on merchant sites? Amazon sellers pay for shipping out of their pocket, why should they be forced to pay your shipping charges? They sell items for less because of market competition.

"Scam" is quickly becoming the term for "I didn't read everything properly and, thus, didn't get what I expected" instead of "I had my money taken from me unjustly."

Just let mine expire and signed up again today for $59. Saving $20 is just icing on the cake for something I take advantage of almost weekly. Plus the fact that I can let my Mom and brother use it (he lives in Alaska so free shipping helps him A LOT) is great too.

Hell, just for all the separate orders I put in on Black Friday alone Prime is worth it.

This thread is EPIC FAIL.

yea here in ND amazon charges tax, fucking sucks. I still love prime though, I found myself ordering more stuff around 5 dollars or so when I had prime. Which saves me from going over 25 just to get free shipping that takes a week to get to me, after it leaves the warehouse 3 days after the order is placed.

Also if you still think Prime is a waste, go take 3 20 lb packages to UPS and ship them 2nd day air. Then try and tell me 80 for a year of as much 2nd day air you can handle is a waste.

bread's done
Back