Amazon Rolls Out Release-Date Delivery with Soul Calibur IV

Sounds cool, but I thought people were always claiming they got products from amazon on or sometimes before release dates anyway, so I doubt it's much of a change.

Well it's gaurentee'd now I suppose, so the folks who need it day one release don't have to waste gas and drive somewhere else to buy this game and return their amazon copy as well. I usually get my amazon products 2-3 business days anyway so not a biggie.

edit: I can't wait till this game comes out...just hope the online is as lag free as possible.

For $5.98 I'll try it out and see how it is. But free sounds even better... with everything I order from Amazon I should just sign up for Prime one day.

I preordered the new Batman anime Blu-Ray and got it on release day. Cool that they're willing to guarantee it now.

i think in general if you pre-order any game at Amazon, you tend to receive it like a week after its street date so it's about time Amazon got on the ball with this. Amazon probably lost several customers for pre-orders because they didn't want to wait that week when they could just go get it at their local b&m store...

Nice, I've been put off pre-ordering stuff from Amazon in the past cos I've heard tales of people having to wait a couple of days for things to show up.

So this sorts out that problem nicely, I've got Prime as well so I can make good use of this.

Just another reason Amazon is my retailer of choice.

[quote name='espionage']i think in general if you pre-order any game at Amazon, you tend to receive it like a week after its street date[/QUOTE]

Whenever I order games from Amazon, I always use Super Saver and I always get them within 2 days of release. Sometimes the day before release, sometimes the day of release, sometimes a day or two after release.

For me, the video games ship from 1 state away, and always arrive super quick even with the free Super Saver shipping.

While this is a cool service, I won't be using it. I'll stick with Super Saver.

[quote name='espionage']i think in general if you pre-order any game at Amazon, you tend to receive it like a week after its street date so it's about time Amazon got on the ball with this. Amazon probably lost several customers for pre-orders because they didn't want to wait that week when they could just go get it at their local b&m store...[/quote]

yea, that's pretty much true. Amazon is friggin slow with games for non-Prime customers. but i think i'll stick with Free Saver Shipping cuz paying the extra amount is the same as paying tax and gas to get it at my local stores which negates the reason why i ordered from Amazon. i don't mind waiting a few more days for it. i tend to get my stuff very quickly with saver shipping anyways.

I wonder now if this means they won't get it to you on release day unless you choose the option. Like maybe they'll ship it on release day if you choose free shipping just to get people to do that option.

I never thought I'd think Prime was a good deal for me but I looked and I've ordered 22 things from them this year and got free shipping every time. Doesn't really save me anything with Prime but it would be nice I guess.

[quote name='happy']Sounds cool, but I thought people were always claiming they got products from amazon on or sometimes before release dates anyway, so I doubt it's much of a change.[/quote]

With most video games, no. Everything else, yes.

Hopefully this means I'll get it on time from now on. Just about every time when I would order with Primes free two-day shipping for the past two years I would get it 1-2 days later than I should. The rare exception to this were usually the extremely popular games or Nintendo first party Sunday releases (Granted they don't arrive on Sunday but they'd arrive on Monday which is more acceptable since it's a Sunday release.)

I must say I'm stunned that they did this. It is such a great idea. I preordered a game through amazon once and it cam on the Tuesday after its Tuesday release. Since I'm avoiding tax on amazon the 6 dollars isn't that bad for shipping. I'll probably be pre ordering Gears of War 2 if they offer this service on all new games soon.

Oh, Amazon Prime, you fickle temptress. :cry:

I try to leave you and you keep pulling me back in again.

What it sounds like they're doing would be 2nd day or next day shipping, depending when they get them in for shipment, to guarantee it's available for day of release.

It's nice to see Amazon try and compete with B&M's on their own terms like this, as this was one big thing in their favor if you had to have the game right on release day. It's slightly messy that it's with Prime for free and $6 for anything else. Saving tax on a $60 game with a high enough tax rate might balance out the $6 for release day in-hand, so it might end up being only slightly more getting it from Amazon than from B&M with tax figured in there. This is of course for anywhere that Amazon.com doesn't charge taxes.

If they did this for DVD's/BR's, I'd get my Prime membership back in a second.

Its too bad about NYS sales tax but at least this saves time, which does have value. I have been put off to preordering games I need day one like GTA, and MGS4.

I would do this, but I dont have amazon prime.......

But if they did this for :br: too, I would consider a membership

[quote name='ivanctorres']Its too bad about NYS sales tax but at least this saves time, which does have value. I have been put off to preordering games I need day one like GTA, and MGS4.[/QUOTE]

yup, I haven't ordered a thing from amazon since the tax descended.

[quote name='Sporadic']Awesome, hopefully they spread this to DVD releases.[/QUOTE]

i always get my preordered dvds/blu-rays on release day. i have amazon prime though, it probably makes a difference.

I will have to look into getting Prime sometime with all the stuff I order from them. I am generally a Super Saver shipping guy willing to wait a few extra days though.

That's cool, their guaranteeing it now. When I had prime a large majority of my movies and games showed up on the tuesday using the regular 2-day shipping option. Amazon putting a guarantee on this is good for current subscribers.

While I applaud their attempts at getting it to us on release date, they suffer little to no consequence if they don't get it to you on time. In the fine print, all it says is that if they miss delivery date, they'll refund your shipping charges. Which means absolutely nothing if you have prime. :roll:

Hell, no tax (to most places) and saving on the cost of gas to actually GO to a B&M store makes the 6 bucks a non-issue for me.

The only reason I pre-ordered stuff at Gamestop.com was because they always offer this guarantee. God, I love Amazon.com.

[quote name='espionage']i think in general if you pre-order any game at Amazon, you tend to receive it like a week after its street date so it's about time Amazon got on the ball with this. Amazon probably lost several customers for pre-orders because they didn't want to wait that week when they could just go get it at their local b&m store...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this would be awesome if they did this for all games, but hell I'd settle for having the games get shipped on the release date.

Unfortunately, I don't qualify for Prime geographically and free shipping is my biggest draw to amazon, so this doesn't work for me. Sad panda.

This is great, Gamestop charges about 9 bucks for first day shipping. If they're pretty good about there pre-order bonuses I may stick to these guys on big releases.

[quote name='bigdsinferno']i always get my preordered dvds/blu-rays on release day. i have amazon prime though, it probably makes a difference.[/QUOTE]

I have Prime too.

Usually my movies get shipped on Tuesday and I recieve them on Thursday.

[quote name='shrike4242']Oh, Amazon Prime, you fickle temptress. :cry:

I try to leave you and you keep pulling me back in again.

What it sounds like they're doing would be 2nd day or next day shipping, depending when they get them in for shipment, to guarantee it's available for day of release.

It's nice to see Amazon try and compete with B&M's on their own terms like this, as this was one big thing in their favor if you had to have the game right on release day. It's slightly messy that it's with Prime for free and $6 for anything else. Saving tax on a $60 game with a high enough tax rate might balance out the $6 for release day in-hand, so it might end up being only slightly more getting it from Amazon than from B&M with tax figured in there. This is of course for anywhere that Amazon.com doesn't charge taxes.

If they did this for DVD's/BR's, I'd get my Prime membership back in a second.[/quote]

With Prime, I have never NOT received a DVD or BR on release day.

Finally, thank you Amazon. Don't have to shop at gamestop any more, if they put this service with all new releases.

What SSnake said. As very Happy prime member who buys stuff all the time, the one thing I did not was games. If they get this going for all the major titles, I will be happy not to deal with gamestop again

So with this we actually get the game a day early right, Tuesday? I know with GameStop you got to wait a day after its release date to actually pick it up from the store. In this case that'll be Wednesday.

I've only ever attempted to pre-order two games from Amazon (GT5 Prologue and Mario Kart Wii), and both times I got the "There has been a delay with your order" email telling me that they wouldn't be able to get it to me until a week after release (and I'm an Amazon Prime member, too). I cancelled both of those orders, and I never bothered pre-ordering from them after that.

With this new policy, and a seemingly more aggressive approach to securing exclusive limited editions (see: Fallout 3), Amazon just keeps getting better and better.

bread's done
Back