[Amazon] Tales of Symphonia Chronicles: Collector's Edition ($99.99)- PlayStation 3 Preorder is up

IMO you're going to have to go with the assumption that Namco is always going to produce more than they say. They're doing it with every game now.

For the record, I think they should make as many as they'd like but I agree that they shouldn't advertise it as a limited to a certain number if they aren't going to honor that. It almost seems like false advertising IMO.

This is one out of maybe two dozen CE's I'll pick up this year---I think sometimes people just to the conclusion that if you complain about a CE it is based on greed. I would have bought this if they announced a print run of 1,000 or 100,000 and I would have done so soon after it was announced.

I just don't like the tactic of "hey, this is going to be individually numbered out of 15,000 (they actually said that)" and then come to find out they are numbered out of 18,000. It is deceptive. It doesn't make me like the game any more or any less but I feel like it is a deceptive sales tactic and makes me feel wronged even if I would have still bought the game.

Right but let's be honest for a minute... odds are they had printed 18,00 copies some time ago. They didn't decided two weeks ago to print 3,000 more because as I've mentioned, if that's how it actually happened the first 15,000 would have stickers that read x / 15,000 and not x / 18,000

This is one out of maybe two dozen CE's I'll pick up this year---I think sometimes people just to the conclusion that if you complain about a CE it is based on greed. I would have bought this if they announced a print run of 1,000 or 100,000 and I would have done so soon after it was announced.

I just don't like the tactic of "hey, this is going to be individually numbered out of 15,000 (they actually said that)" and then come to find out they are numbered out of 18,000. It is deceptive. It doesn't make me like the game any more or any less but I feel like it is a deceptive sales tactic and makes me feel wronged even if I would have still bought the game.

Right but let's be honest for a minute... odds are they had printed 18,00 copies some time ago. They didn't decided two weeks ago to print 3,000 more because as I've mentioned, if that's how it actually happened the first 15,000 would have stickers that read x / 15,000 and not x / 18,000
I agree, it's impossible to believe that they manufactured them all and distributed them into the supply chain that quickly. They did it months ago when they saw preorder demand. Then again, if you're running a business and you have a product with higher demand than expected, you're probably going to be tempted to meet that demand. This thing is EXPENSIVE. TOO EXPENSIVE IMO. Most games are $60 and the CE is $100. That's a good $40 more but you're getting a lot of extras. In this case the game is $40 and the CE is $100, that's $60 more. For every 2 CE's they sell, it's like selling FIVE games. The profit margin on the CE's in the case of this game in particular vs the standard one makes it impossible for them to turn down from a business standpoint.

I agree, it's impossible to believe that they manufactured them all and distributed them into the supply chain that quickly. They did it months ago when they saw preorder demand. Then again, if you're running a business and you have a product with higher demand than expected, you're probably going to be tempted to meet that demand. This thing is EXPENSIVE. TOO EXPENSIVE IMO. Most games are $60 and the CE is $100. That's a good $40 more but you're getting a lot of extras. In this case the game is $40 and the CE is $100, that's $60 more. For every 2 CE's they sell, it's like selling FIVE games. The profit margin on the CE's in the case of this game in particular vs the standard one makes it impossible for them to turn down from a business standpoint.
And I agree with you. I hope NAMCO makes money. I have seen too many studios fall apart. But I would have rather seen them sell the extras separately. Or create a second (notated) printing or an unnumbered printing. IMO many of these sites (Square, Capcom, Namco, etc.) are so unoriginal in what they chose to stock and sell in their own stores that they leave MILLIONS of dollars in potential merchandise sales on the table.

I think people confuse Limited Edition with Collectors Edition. There is nothing inherently limited about a collector's edition. It's limited to the number they can sell - numbered units notwithstanding.
Neither of those distinctions mean anything, there isn't universally agreed upon terminology for naming special editions. The vast majority of the time publishers just name them whatever they feel like with no regard to print run. A limited edition can be far from limited (even if they print a million, it's still "limited" to a million) and a collector's edition could actually be limited. Or vice versa. This fabled distinction between what defines a "limited edition" versus a "collector's edition" does not exist.

But again, if you're opening it up and using it and not looking to profit on it later, who cares? I honestly couldn't care less if a person who ordered 10 to resell can't triple their money on it.

To be fair, I'll admit I've flipped one or two CE's in the past. I bought NNK from the US store and from Amazon France and was able to part out the French version for enough to cover both copies. I still can't believe someone bought that book for $170. But had they increased the number available, I'd have been happy that more people get to have one. Yes, I'd have taken a loss, but it would have gien me an extra Wizard's Companion book I could have tossed around.
I agree with this.

I agree with this.
So you wouldn't care if they advertised a physical art book, showed a picture of a physical artbook but at the time of release switched it to a downloadable .pdf and gave it to anyone who wanted one so that more people could enjoy it?

It looks like they're sold out now but Xillia's CE was originally 99.99 and everyone here was yelling that it was going to be rare and valuable. Then they lowered the CE price to 59.99 because they had so many in stock. Now looking at eBay, people have "buy it now" for less than the original $100 price.

I think people confuse Limited Edition with Collectors Edition. There is nothing inherently limited about a collector's edition. It's limited to the number they can sell - numbered units notwithstanding.
"Everyone" was not saying it was going to be valuable. Reasonable people who understand the market, like myself, stated precisely the opposite only to have the forum tards mock them. I nailed it, again.

So you wouldn't care if they advertised a physical art book, showed a picture of a physical artbook but at the time of release switched it to a downloadable .pdf and gave it to anyone who wanted one so that more people could enjoy it?
Wow, getting a bit ridiculous, aren't you? Now increasing a print run = removing items from the bundle? So they print more, who cares? If you really don't care about profit, it makes no difference. Explain to me how changing X/15000 to x/18000 decreases your enjoyment of the game in the slightest.

Wow, getting a bit ridiculous, aren't you? Now increasing a print run = removing items from the bundle? So they print more, who cares? If you really don't care about profit, it makes no difference. Explain to me how changing X/15000 to x/18000 decreases your enjoyment of the game in the slightest.
This ain't about the game, but the collectibility.

I understand that, I honestly do, but to equate an increased run to removing an art book and substituting a digital copy is just stupid.  Still, the only difference is knowing that an additional 3000 people in the world own it, and as a collector, I'm fine with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand that, I honestly do, but to equate an increased run to removing an art book and substituting a digital copy is just stupid. Still, the only difference is knowing that an additional 3000 people in the world own it, and as a collector, I'm fine with that.
So you don't think anyone made the decision to preorder based on it being limited to 15,000?

And why is the comparison to a digital artbook being substituted for a physical artbook stupid? You're still getting the artbook..... right?

They could print a million extra copies for everyone to enjoy and that wouldn't bother me... what would bother me is if the editions were then numbered out of 1,015,000.

They should have never sent out a press release stating they were "numbered out of 15,000". Once you make a claim like that you don't have a lot of flexibility.

Changing an artbook to a digital format is fundamentally changing what is included in the package, increasing the run adds some silly numbers to a sticker that no one opening the box will care about.  

I can see why someone may be slightly peeved, but I don't think it is really worth getting that crazy over. Did they use the 15k as a tactic to get more pre-orders? Maybe. That would be low, but a lot of companies do dirty stuff like that, and at the end of the day 3,000 more people will be getting a copy.

If they ever take this to a dirtier level down the road, I think you go nuts about it then. Until we get there, though...

Exileinoblivion - This whole thing about "rarity hunting" is all about bragging rights and lording things over other people.  You don't need something to be uber rare to collect it or to enjoy it. 

Besides, if you're actively seeking out things that people are claiming are going to be rare, valuable, limited, etc prior to it being available for sale then you're doing it wrong.

Really understand both sides of the argument. I'm buying the CEs for myself to play, enjoy and display so I don't care if they increase the print; but on the other hand if they just increase the print whenever they feel like it, I could have waited for a price drop instead of pre-ordering.

Plus, gathering rare items is collecting, it is a classy hobby, gathering non-rare items is hoarding, it is a mental disease.

Heres what happened (my take):

They were gearing up to print and realized that some places may of taken to many preorders. So after adding it up they could print close to 3,000 to fill demand without killing any more production budget. So they did that. The remainder was given back to retailers to release. Amazon put back up the stock and so did Namco Store. Gamestop didnt but probably hoarding for a higher than MSRP release.

I dont think they ever meant to do 3,000 more but just wanted to fill consumer demand.

Heres what happened (my take):

They were gearing up to print and realized that some places may of taken to many preorders. So after adding it up they could print close to 3,000 to fill demand without killing any more production budget. So they did that. The remainder was given back to retailers to release. Amazon put back up the stock and so did Namco Store. Gamestop didnt but probably hoarding for a higher than MSRP release.

I dont think they ever meant to do 3,000 more but just wanted to fill consumer demand.
Seems like the logical thing right? But no people get butthurt.

So you don't think anyone made the decision to preorder based on it being limited to 15,000?

And why is the comparison to a digital artbook being substituted for a physical artbook stupid? You're still getting the artbook..... right?

They could print a million extra copies for everyone to enjoy and that wouldn't bother me... what would bother me is if the editions were then numbered out of 1,015,000.

They should have never sent out a press release stating they were "numbered out of 15,000". Once you make a claim like that you don't have a lot of flexibility.
That´s a dumb comparsion. Its obvious general consenus would want the physical artbook and not the digital.

That´s like saying if the game is physical and digital that´s its still the same game. While its the same game it should be obvious which one people would prefer.

I don't mean this to offend anyone, but IMO the people that go "Damn, I'm pissed they are making more, because it makes my copy less rare" are everything that is wrong with gaming. Gaming and/or collecting is supposed to be about fun and something for personal enjoyment. Don't be greedy and wish other people can't enjoy something themselves just because it makes your copy(that you'll never sell) less rare.

Honestly, that's kind of a childish mentality IMO. I think some collectors collect just so they can brag online and not because they actually enjoy what they have. If you enjoy what you have, then rarity means absolutely nothing. All that matters is you have a copy, you like it, you enjoy having it.

I don't mean this to offend anyone, but IMO the people that go "Damn, I'm pissed they are making more, because it makes my copy less rare" are everything that is wrong with gaming. Gaming and/or collecting is supposed to be about fun and something for personal enjoyment. Don't be greedy and wish other people can't enjoy something themselves just because it makes your copy(that you'll never sell) less rare.

Honestly, that's kind of a childish mentality IMO. I think some collectors collect just so they can brag online and not because they actually enjoy what they have. If you enjoy what you have, then rarity means absolutely nothing. All that matters is you have a copy, you like it, you enjoy having it.
Exactly. These people don´t care that the game we be enjoyed by many other people who want not only the game but the bonus material.

All those people care about is pure greed that their collectible being worth less since more will be in circulation.

Most of the people you see complaing by the way are resellers more so then gamers. They browse the forums looking how to make a quick buck while the rest of us are actually playing our games.

Exactly. These people don´t care that the game we be enjoyed by many other people who want not only the game but the bonus material.

All those people care about is pure greed that their collectible being worth less since more will be in circulation.

That´s what happened with the 90s comic book crash and in like 1997 like 50% of the comic books stores in the US went out of business.
Also, baseball cards

To be fair, this mentality is what collecting is all about. You guys are against the very fundamental concept and notion of "collecting". Not just games, watches, paintings, cards, cars etc.

I enjoy the things I collect and I want them to be rare and valuable even though I will never sell them. I would get zero satisfaction as a collector if my friends come over and say "oh, you are displaying this CE on your glass stand? I saw it on clearance at GameStop for $30". 

I root for re-prints constantly. The main reason is because more people out there get to enjoy something that they may not have had a chance to play. I think it just makes gaming a better place if more people get to experience great games and/or sets. Oh, and I hate when people go "Well, you should have bought one when it first came out." That logic is so asinine. Not everyone has the money to buy games right away, and there is no crime in not wanting a game initially, but deciding later down the road that they'd like to play it without having to pay insane ebay fees, because maybe someone convinced them they might like the game.

I have to admit though, I do get a slighty satisfaction when hoarders get angry and whine after re-prints. "Dammit! Now my copy won't be as rare! Waaaah!"

I was able to get some copies of games through reprints, and I know friends who were able to as well. Now we can all play the same games and talk about them and share experiences of games.

You don't see a problem with sending a press release to stores months ago advertising that the game will be "numbered out of 15,000"; never sending a retraction, and producing a final product that is numbered out of 18,000?

If you think that the issue that is being taken is "OMG... there are 3,000 more in circulation...poor me" then you are an idiot and a terrible consumer. I don't know how to put it any more politely.

I root for re-prints constantly. The main reason is because more people out there get to enjoy something that they may not have had a chance to play. I think it just makes gaming a better place if more people get to experience great games and/or sets. Oh, and I hate when people go "Well, you should have bought one when it first came out." That logic is so asinine. Not everyone has the money to buy games right away, and there is no crime in not wanting a game initially, but deciding later down the road that they'd like to play it without having to pay insane ebay fees, because maybe someone convinced them they might like the game.

I have to admit though, I do get a slighty satisfaction when hoarders get angry and whine after re-prints. "Dammit! Now my copy won't be as rare! Waaaah!"

I was able to get some copies of games through reprints, and I know friends who were able to as well. Now we can all play the same games and talk about them and share experiences of games.

Again this is stupid.

There are other options, like digital distribution, that don't requiring reprinting something, with a finite print run, so that all of these mysterious people you claim never got a chance to enjoy it can now enjoy it.

If it wasn't for collector's, you wouldn't get these collector's editions. period.

Its funny I am a collector and still get sealed things but I fully agree with this theory. That´s because my heart is with the games more so then the value. I also seen what happened with comic books and baseball cards in the 90´s. My dad spent thousands of dollars on them and decades later he got a few hundred.

To be fair, this mentality is what collecting is all about. You guys are against the very fundamental concept and notion of "collecting". Not just games, watches, paintings, cards, cars etc.

I enjoy the things I collect and I want them to be rare and valuable even though I will never sell them. I would get zero satisfaction as a collector if my friends come over and say "oh, you are displaying this CE on your glass stand? I saw it on clearance at GameStop for $30".
No, that's not what collecting is all about. People collect coins and bottle caps. Are they rare? Something doesn't have to be rare for it to be collected. All a collection is, is a specific category of item that you like and want to build a mass quantity of to build over time. It doesn't have to be rare.

It's supposed to be for you to enjoy, not to impress other people. If you are collecting to impress others, IMO, you are collecting for the wrong reasons. First and foremost it needs to be for you and your own enjoyment.

No, that's not what collecting is all about. People collect coins and bottle caps. Are they rare? Something doesn't have to be rare for it to be collected. All a collection is, is a specific category of item that you like and want to build a mass quantity of to build over time. It doesn't have to be rare.

It's supposed to be for you to enjoy, not to impress other people. If you are collecting to impress others, IMO, you are collecting for the wrong reasons. First and foremost it needs to be for you and your own enjoyment.
Are you fucking kidding me? He just said he doesn't collect to impress other people. Can you read? What are you responding to?

I really hope everybody gets the Tale experience and we get more Tales games (with dual audio!) in the west. To that end I wish they print the hell out of the standard editions and never run dry. But a Collector's Edition should live up to its name.

You don't see a problem with sending a press release to stores months ago advertising that the game will be "numbered out of 15,000"; never sending a retraction, and producing a final product that is numbered out of 18,000?

If you think that the issue that is being taken is "OMG... there are 3,000 more in circulation...poor me" then you are an idiot and a terrible consumer. I don't know how to put it any more politely.
While that isnt the most ethical business practices its still not illegal. Developers care about meeting the demand sales for a game and selling as many as they can. They dont really care about the people who hold them to their intial words.

That is a childish mentality as someone else said. Its like Oh you said 15,000 copies are being made and now its 18,000 wahhhh boo hoo. That should have no effect on you.

Again this is stupid.

There are other options, like digital distribution, that don't requiring reprinting something, with a finite print run, so that all of these mysterious people you claim never got a chance to enjoy it can now enjoy it.

If it wasn't for collector's, you wouldn't get these collector's editions. period.
Completely disagree. First of all, not all games have digital distribution. Older gen titles that were reprinted did not, unless they are on current gen console libraries. But back then when those games were reprinted, no one knew that it would be the case several years later. Also, some people like owning physical copies of games.

I was able to game several copies of games through reprints, and I'm glad they did it. I'm not going to be hypocrite and whine when a larger quantities of games get circulated. Reprints do nothing but better gaming and benefit more gamers.

You say "mysterious people" almost sarcastically like these people either don't exist or are few and far between.

Of course there are pure self enjoyment collectors, collecting bottle caps or the like that's easily to come by. But there are also collectors who only want valuable rare pieces. This is also a form of enjoyment. There is no right or wrong. Though I have never seen one collector who don't drool over rare items that fits in their collection.

I order stuff because I want it. If it becomes rare, added bonus.

But I plan on opening this right up and setting the figures on the same shelf with my Disgaea ones

Are you fucking kidding me? He just said he doesn't collect to impress other people. Can you read? What are you responding to?
First, you need to stop being condescending to people. We are having a lively little discussion and you get all combative. I think you are a knowledgeable poster that is good for the board, but you get really condescending sometimes.

Secondly, he just mentioned that he'd lose satisfaction in a collectible item if a friend came by and said he saw the same thing at Gamestop for 30% off. Isn't that in itself trying to impress a friend?

I really hope everybody gets the Tale experience and we get more Tales games (with dual audio!) in the west. To that end I wish they print the hell out of the standard editions and never run dry. But a Collector's Edition should live up to its name.

If that´s how you think you must have never saw what happened with the comic book industry and sporting cards etc. Hell even pokemon cards.

Every Publisher in the 90s with comic books said it was limited, collectible,rare, holographic, etc etc and look what happened.

You have to get the content because its something you like. Not to hold them to the fact that you demand it should be rare and limited.

I order stuff because I want it. If it becomes rare, added bonus.

But I plan on opening this right up and setting the figures on the same shelf with my Disgaea ones
Same here! I like to keep one sealed to display in the back while have another copy opened with the items laid out.

Of course there are pure self enjoyment collectors, collecting bottle caps or the like that's easily to come by. But there are also collectors who only want valuable rare pieces. This is also a form of enjoyment. There is no right or wrong. Though I have never seen one collector who don't drool over rare items that fits in their collection.
I think once quantities get in the thousands or even hundreds, it defeats that whole purpose, though. I mean, if you got your hands on a one of a kind painting, then of course you'd collect that and be proud because it is the only one in the world. But with video games where even the rarest of items have hundreds or thousands made? Really nothing to write home about IMO, and if more people can enjoy them through reprints or extra copies made, I think the pros far outweigh the cons.

If that´s how you think you must have never saw what happened with the comic book industry and sporting cards etc. Hell even pokemon cards.

Every Publisher in the 90s with comic books said it was limited, collectible,rare, holographic, etc etc and look what happened.

You have to get the content because its something you like. Not to hold them to the fact that you demand it should be rare and limited.
To be honest, if the Collector's edition could be bought anytime, it would greatly diminish my interest in being a CE collector. I would just buy the standard game to play and buy CEs when they are dirt cheap (like Uncharted 3). And if I really wanted to display a CE someday to complete a collection, I'll just order one from Amazon and have it two day delivered to me. Don't really see the fun in that.

Maybe that's just me.

I think once quantities get in the thousands or even hundreds, it defeats that whole purpose, though. I mean, if you got your hands on a one of a kind painting, then of course you'd collect that and be proud because it is the only one in the world. But with video games where even the rarest of items have hundreds or thousands made? Really nothing to write home about IMO, and if more people can enjoy them through reprints or extra copies made, I think the pros far outweigh the cons.
Yeah I agree, video game CE isn't a good example to justify a collector's mentality.

I always rooted for ultra high price CEs with detailed statues, maybe in the price range of hundreds. I would buy those things up like nobody's business. Then it's standard edition, CE for the casual collector, and UCE for the hardcore collector.

I actually only started CE collecting after I joined CAG, not that hardcore as most of you to begin with. But I fully understand the mentality as I collected other antiques.

When I buy CEs, I buy them because I like the added contents. Artbooks, steelbooks, figures, etc are cool things to have. If you enjoy a game or title, it's cool to have little mementos of it. Rare or not. IMO.

SO GUYS SHOULD I KEEP OR CANCEL MY PREORDER. I HAVE TO DECIDE BY TONIGHT. PLEASE HELP IM GOING THROUTH THIS CRISIS

Dude, just keep it. If worst comes to worst either ebay it, return it, or sell it to a CAG.

bread's done
Back