[Amazon] Tales of Symphonia Chronicles: Collector's Edition ($99.99)- PlayStation 3 Preorder is up

Why the hell would you order it if you don't want it, just cancel it then -_-!
That is an example of the mentality and how a industry can go bust. He wanted to resell is all or maybe hope it becomes rare for bragging rights or something along those lines.

I seen my dad do it with comic books so I watch myself when it comes to these collector editions and many of them over $100 bucks which to me isnt chump change.

Last edited by a moderator:
but its so rare
And it very well might be. It might even be good for resellers to profit on and maybe it wont at all. It can also tank in value in the future as what happened with comic books. You really can´t speculate is my point.

And it very well might be. It might even be good for resellers to profit on and maybe it wont at all. It can also tank in value in the future as what happened with comic books. You really can´t speculate is my point.
if i dont buy it now and one day i want it ill be paying arm & leg!

If that´s how you think you must have never saw what happened with the comic book industry and sporting cards etc. Hell even pokemon cards.

Every Publisher in the 90s with comic books said it was limited, collectible,rare, holographic, etc etc and look what happened.

You have to get the content because its something you like. Not to hold them to the fact that you demand it should be rare and limited.
Overprinting (why people are upset right now) is precisely what led to the events you're describing. You're basically saying this will happen again to video games, and then saying it's OK that Namco is committing the actions that will bring it about. It's not the collectors who were at fault for "investing" in "limited" comics - it's the publishers who mislead those people into buying them with claims of false rarity.

Overprinting (why people are upset right now) is precisely what led to the events you're describing. You're basically saying this will happen again to video games, and then saying it's OK that Namco is committing the actions that will bring it about. It's not the collectors who were at fault for "investing" in "limited" comics - it's the publishers who mislead those people into buying them with claims of false rarity.
Yet people are falling for it yet again.

If I was the Publisher or developer I would tell you its rare and collectible all day long. They are in it for business. Its up to the consumer to protect themself.

What are you going to say to the developers, you promised it was limited and now you reprinted it?

I would mislead my consumers all day if it means I can bank on it. Hence sports cards and comics and lots of pop culture collectibles.

The Publisher or developer only wants money the consumer wants the content. Who do you think needs to protect themselves. What are you going to say to the developers you lied about it being limited? They are going to laugh on there way to the bank.

In any event, I'm excited about the CE, it looks like it is really well done. And I can play another Tales with my wife again, it is always our best experiences in local co-op. Also, manuals FTW.

In all honesty I'm probably gonna sell this. If I'm not gonna open it what's the point? Once I see the value for stuff that's rare I can't help but hold onto it. It usually backfires on me so I'll probably sell this thing since I'll never get myself to open it, and if it's really LE, whatever. I'll pick the game up cheap from somewhere just to play it

Game wise sounds like a low quality release.  The used the gamecube translation but did not cross reference with the new content.  Now you got incident where the text doesn't match the audio.  Also audio and visual quality are worst than original.

Yet people are falling for it yet again.

If I was the Publisher or developer I would tell you its rare and collectible all day long. They are in it for business. Its up to the consumer to protect themself.

What are you going to say to the developers, you promised it was limited and now you reprinted it?

I would mislead my consumers all day if it means I can bank on it. Hence sports cards and comics and lots of pop culture collectibles.

The Publisher or developer only wants money the consumer wants the content. Who do you think needs to protect themselves. What are you going to say to the developers you lied about it being limited? They are going to laugh on there way to the bank.
I'm glad you're justifying dishonest actions - the problem with this particular CE isn't that it was just called "Limited" it's that Namco gave specific numbers for the print-run and then deliberately printed more. Which is dishonest - none of the baseball card or comic manufacturers ever did that. People who ordered this thing have every right to be upset. It was actual false advertising at the hands of the manufacturer. I know people like to throw that term around in circumstances where it doesn't apply - but it definitely does here.

As for comics and baseball cards - the writing was on the walls. They were cheap enough where everyone and their mom bought a few expecting an investment. Video games are a totally different thing, some will go on to be rare and then maintain that rarity - just by nature of lower print runs and a more expensive upfront cost. If there is ever a boom where everyone (even people outside the hobby) start collecting games, we might see a crash similar to comics and other collectibles. That still won't stop pre-boom games from being rare or valuable. The comic crash of the 90s didn't exactly take any value away from the older stuff. It just took away from the 80s - 90s stuff, which was ridiculously overprinted.

You can say this is similar at face value, but there was a lot of factors that contributed to the comic crash of the 90s.

I'm glad you're justifying dishonest actions - the problem with this particular CE isn't that it was just called "Limited" it's that Namco gave specific numbers for the print-run and then deliberately printed more. Which is dishonest - none of the baseball card or comic manufacturers ever did that. People who ordered this thing have every right to be upset. It was actual false advertising at the hands of the manufacturer. I know people like to throw that term around in circumstances where it doesn't apply - but it definitely does here.

As for comics and baseball cards - the writing was on the walls. They were cheap enough where everyone and their mom bought a few expecting an investment. Video games are a totally different thing, some will go on to be rare and then maintain that rarity - just by nature of lower print runs and a more expensive upfront cost. If there is ever a boom where everyone (even people outside the hobby) start collecting games, we might see a crash similar to comics and other collectibles. That still won't stop pre-boom games from being rare or valuable. The comic crash of the 90s didn't exactly take any value away from the older stuff. It just took away from the 80s - 90s stuff, which was ridiculously overprinted.

You can say this is similar at face value, but there was a lot of factors that contributed to the comic crash of the 90s.
Reprints in comic books is completely normal. They do tons of reprints to this day. Walking dead comics have lots of reprints.

I wouldn't, personally.  But I really like the Tales series. I purchased this, finally, just a few days ago from someone on here similar to yourself who was going to give up the pre-order. I paid $125, and was elated. I'm debating offering you the $100 to take it off your hands, actually - where do you have it pre-ordered from?

GBAstar is right. Sorry kids. IDK if it is a generation gap or people who play video games just don't care, but if a run is supposed to be limited to a specific number, the company should stick to that number. If they want to release a slightly different version that has different numbering, then that is fine. You are selling a product at a premium and using the production run as a selling point if it is included in the product description.

Obvious troll is extremely obvious haha you guys are giving twitter a ton of attention : )
how am i a troll. im honestly torn between cancelling it. :(

pros:

keep $100

less stuff on my backlog

cons:

rare(?)

its a nice CE

IM TORN GUYS!!!1

pros:

keep $100

less stuff on my backlog

cons:

rare(?)

its a nice CE

IM TORN GUYS!!!1
Whatever the case, don't cancel it. It's a PITA to get a hold of one right now, and someone here will clearly take it off your hands if you decide against keeping it. If you make the decision in time, they'll do it before it's shipped so you'll never have to worry about re-shipping it or any of that jazz.

pros:

keep $100

less stuff on my backlog

cons:

rare(?)

its a nice CE

IM TORN GUYS!!!1
The real question is, do you want that stuff? To me most of it is junk. I would never listen to their sound track. I'd thumb through the art book once or twice. I would never read their novella. I wouldn't use their steelbook. I would never set up those little figures. It that stuff is good to you and not junk like it is to me then keep the preorder. If it's junk to you as well then cancel it. It's always possible that yo could see a couple in Best Buy or GameStop on launch anyway.

but i dont want it

pros:

keep $100

less stuff on my backlog

cons:

rare(?)

its a nice CE

IM TORN GUYS!!!1
You said you don't want it. If you don't want it then cancel it or help out a CAG buy transferring the order to him at cost.

If you buy it just because it is rare/profitable and not because you love the game/franchise, then I totally understand why some CAGs criticize collectors like you.

The real question is, do you want that stuff? To me most of it is junk. I would never listen to their sound track. I'd thumb through the art book once or twice. I would never read their novella. I wouldn't use their steelbook. I would never set up those little figures. It that stuff is good to you and not junk like it is to me then keep the preorder. If it's junk to you as well then cancel it. It's always possible that yo could see a couple in Best Buy or GameStop on launch anyway.
How come you always seem to get involved in these CE threads when you clearly always have no interest in them?

SO GUYS SHOULD I KEEP OR CANCEL MY PREORDER. I HAVE TO DECIDE BY TONIGHT. PLEASE HELP IM GOING THROUTH THIS CRISIS
Cancel it and let someone who really wants it have a chance at ordering it.

I got a "preparing for shipment", I can't wait to see the CE in person. It looks like it'd be pretty hard to damage since it's so compact, unlike the Xillia set which had a flimsy outer box with a bunch of empty space inside.

If you don't want the collectors edition just cancel it so other people who actually want it and like Tales can have a shot at it

Preparing for Shipment

• Delivery Estimate Thursday, February 27, 2014 by 8:00pm

yeah! So glad I have amazon prime! (shakes head)

Special editions really need their own board at this point... Having them so high up on the main board through their WHOLE LIFE PROCESS seems pretty stupid and really even against the rules, yet time and time again they are.  First up as the deal, then a rise when they sell out, then a rise when they go back in stock, then up again when they start shipping, up yet again once they start being received, then finally again for opinions of the game.  I mean sometimes other items get the same treatment but none are so cut and dry as these SE/CE/LE's.

Special editions really need their own board at this point... Having them so high up on the main board through their WHOLE LIFE PROCESS seems pretty stupid and really even against the rules, yet time and time again they are. First up as the deal, then a rise when they sell out, then a rise when they go back in stock, then up again when they start shipping, up yet again once they start being received, then finally again for opinions of the game. I mean sometimes other items get the same treatment but none are so cut and dry as these SE/CE/LE's.
#firstworldproblems

You said you don't want it. If you don't want it then cancel it or help out a CAG buy transferring the order to him at cost.

If you buy it just because it is rare/profitable and not because you love the game/franchise, then I totally understand why some CAGs criticize collectors like you.
Buy low and sell high. That's the name of making money in this country. Why would you ever criticize him for doing what a million business's do in the world every minute of everyday?

So what if he doesn't actually want the game but will buy it to make a profit? The person who buys it from him obviously is willing to pay for it. So he makes some extra money and the person who buys it gets a item they really want at a price they are willing to pay. Its win win. How exactly does that scenario effect anyones personal lives except for those 2 people? Hint: it doesn't.

Why should he cancel HIS order or transfer it to a random internet stranger on here that he doesn't even know simply because he doesn't want to play the game? Especially when he can make some money (see previous paragraph).

Way too many butt hurt CAGs on here get all bent out of shape when they miss out on a deal and then see someone else who profited off said deal and take it way too personally as if it somehow effect their life and was some great wrong committed in the world.

#cancelled

I'm playing Bravely Default anyways, the Amazon exclusive crushed version. I'd be dumb to buy another CE from them. 

Unrelated: Also cancelled Blue is the Warmest Color and The Joyners 3D novel which were also releasing tomorrow. I just went on a cancelling rampage. #getmadamazon

Buy low and sell high. That's the name of making money in this country. Why would you ever criticize him for doing what a million business's do in the world every minute of everyday?

So what if he doesn't actually want the game but will buy it to make a profit? The person who buys it from him obviously is willing to pay for it. So he makes some extra money and the person who buys it gets a item they really want at a price they are willing to pay. Its win win. How exactly does that scenario effect anyones personal lives except for those 2 people? Hint: it doesn't.

Why should he cancel HIS order or transfer it to a random internet stranger on here that he doesn't even know simply because he doesn't want to play the game? Especially when he can make some money (see previous paragraph).

Way too many butt hurt CAGs on here get all bent out of shape when they miss out on a deal and then see someone else who profited off said deal and take it way too personally as if it somehow effect their life and was some great wrong committed in the world.
I transferred several of my preorders to CAGs such as the Songbird at cost, some of them do not have the high credit limit that I do on the CC hence they could not preorder when CEs were announced. I want be part of a friendly CAG community that help each other out in the time of need because we all love (cheap) games. For my good Karma, I have received generous help from other CAGs in getting deals and free coupons.

Price gouging has a dedicated website, it's called eBay, now that's where you sell to strangers to profit. I am not "butthurt", I don't think him ordering will diminish anybody's chances of getting the item significantly, I know that math. I simply encourage others to be part of the good tradition of CAG.

I transferred several of my preorders to CAGs such as the Songbird at cost, some of them do not have the high credit limit that I do on the CC hence they could not preorder when CEs were announced. I want be part of a friendly CAG community that help each other out in the time of need because we all love (cheap) games. For my good Karma, I have received generous help from other CAGs in getting deals and free coupons.

Price gouging has a dedicated website, it's called eBay, now that's where you sell to strangers to profit. I am not "butthurt", I don't think him ordering will diminish anybody's chances of getting the item significantly, I know that math. I simply encourage others to be part of the good tradition of CAG.
Exactly, this is a community, which has some meaning and purpose.

so should i have cancelled it guys. kinda regretting it
c6uDaYV.gif

I haven't exactly been pleased with amazon lately. Somehow, my order's coming on Friday when I have prime. It seems like all of my orders get delayed now somehow. I don't understand why mine is shipping so late. I think I ordered it before most people even knew it was up on amazon. Really hope the packaging is decent though.

bread's done
Back