CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)

LINK

Trade in any 4 games, get a bonus $20 off a select new release

Trade in any 2 games, get a bonus $10 off a select new release

Trade in any four games through Amazon.com's Video Games Trade-In store before April 12, 2009 and in addition to your Amazon.com Gift Card, you'll receive $20 off a select new release title in the Video Games store. Don't have 4 games you want to trade in? Trade in any two games before April 12, 2009 and you'll receive $10 off a select new release.

I guess amazon or the merchant who update the prices have information about future price drops. Maybe Fallout will drop in value soon, so they lower the price on their TIVs to avoid having lots of used copies at high value when the retail price of the game come down.

Of course the *3rd party merchant* that is doing these TIVs is going to look out for their own best interest and lower TIVs the more TIs they get.

If you find a good TIV for your games, that is *NOT* an exploit. An exploit would be finding some bug in web code and using it to do something borderline illegal.

I don't understand how some people can equate finding a good TIV to criminally hacking a site, they are not even in the same ballpark.

OMG NOES YOU GOT A GOOD DEAL ON SOMETHINGZZZZ GO Directly TO t3h JALIZZZ!

[quote name='CaoPi']OK this is just stupid, Grandia 3 they only give $7, the game is rare to come by itself......[/quote]

Well, this service is going to be like any other. Use it when it's most profitable for you to do so. Obviously, trading in a rare or in-demand game that can fetch a bit on eBay would be silly.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44'] Obviously, trading in a rare or in-demand game that can fetch a bit on eBay would be silly.[/QUOTE]

People will do it anyway, w00t $15 for a $60 game! ;)

[quote name='expane']People will do it anyway, w00t $15 for a $60 game! ;)[/quote]

Well, of course, you are right. I was referring more to CAGs. I would hope most of us are a little more savvy than that.

I went ahead a traded in a bunch of my DS games that have low trade value on Goozex for $100 Amazon credit.

There are a bunch of Blu-Rays coming out that I want and I'd rather get those then spend an extra $2+ each per game to ship them out through Goozex.

So Goozex's loss is Amazon's and my Blu collection's gain.

I really don't like how quickly they change their trade in values, I finally bit yesterday and sent in a bunch of clearance games so I can get the cheap HAWX, but I don't see this being a regular thing for me. due to their dynamic trade values I can't plan which makes it a real no go. I wonder if they are using a FYE model of price is based upon their stock on hand ?

Everyone is complaining about the dynamic trade values, but it can also work in your favor.

I got together four of my old games (Warioworld, PacNRoll, Retro Atari Classics, and Yoshi Topsy Turvy) that I would never play again/bought for cheap and could work to get some decent money off of a new release I want.

When I first added them to my cart at about 10PM, they were going to give me a total of $14 for all 4 games, and I wasn't that satisfied with that, so I hesitated. Then I came back around 1AM and updated the cart (because I noticed the value on one of the games change by $.25), and the credit they were giving for all 4 games rose to $17.50, so I went ahead and printed their inventory page with the 4 games and the values that I had agreed to trade the games for.

That was a couple of days ago. Today, the credit they are giving for those 4 games is about $14 again. But what does it matter? They are still giving me $17.50 + the $20 off a new game because that's what the packing slip I printed and included says because it was at that price and time that I agreed to trade my games in.

So, while I can see where waiting may significantly decrease the value they give, once you accept the values, that's what you're locked in for, so what does it matter? It's kind of like playing the market.

[quote name='snipegod']Everyone is complaining about the dynamic trade values, but it can also work in your favor.

I got together four of my old games (Warioworld, PacNRoll, Retro Atari Classics, and Yoshi Topsy Turvy) that I would never play again/bought for cheap and could work to get some decent money off of a new release I want.

When I first added them to my cart at about 10PM, they were going to give me a total of $14 for all 4 games, and I wasn't that satisfied with that, so I hesitated. Then I came back around 1AM and updated the cart (because I noticed the value on one of the games change by $.25), and the credit they were giving for all 4 games rose to $17.50, so I went ahead and printed their inventory page with the 4 games and the values that I had agreed to trade the games for.

That was a couple of days ago. Today, the credit they are giving for those 4 games is about $14 again. But what does it matter? They are still giving me $17.50 + the $20 off a new game because that's what the packing slip I printed and included says because it was at that price and time that I agreed to trade my games in.

So, while I can see where waiting may significantly decrease the value they give, once you accept the values, that's what you're locked in for, so what does it matter? It's kind of like playing the market.[/quote]

But what if they only give you $14 since that's what it is at now?

[quote name='chuckywang']But what if they only give you $14 since that's what it is at now?[/QUOTE]

Then I don't understand the reasoning behind telling me to put the packing slip (stating each game's trade value and the total amount I'm due, the $17.5) inside the box with the games, and they'll not stop hearing from me until I get my mother fucking $3. ;)

Also, wouldn't that be textbook bait-and-switch?

I got my trade-in credit today, $17.50 (which is what the packing slip I sent with my games said, and is about $5 more than the trade-in values for my games the site quotes today/yesterday).

So, don't think just because the values change after you send your games in that they will credit you the new values, higher or lower.

Same here - I got my credit today and the values were locked in at what they were when I electronically submitted my trade-in. Any changes up or down since that time didn't affect my TIV.

Now where's my $20 promo code, dammit?!?! They better not actually make us wait 30 days for it to arrive via email. . .

[quote name='SkylineChili4Me']

Now where's my $20 promo code, dammit?!?! They better not actually make us wait 30 days for it to arrive via email. . .[/quote]

Reading the T&C is very helpful.

Amazon's trade in values are a joke. I checked on some ds games (MKDS and NSMB) they offer like, a third of what Gamestop will give you.

I traded in a few old DS games for $16 total to get the $20 extra credit coupon. While I agree trade in values are low with the easy print out and mail option it was a good way to dump some old games (when there's a bonus). I sent the games out on Friday and had the gift card in my account Monday evening.

Is MKDS Mario Kart DS? When I initially checked they offered $16.50 for that tradein. It's gone down to $11 in less than a week (so we need a script to monitor trade in values it seems), but does that mean that Gamestop gives you $33 for MKDS???

I got my $20 promo code today ... will probably use it to knock Madworld down to $22 and then use my $17.5 trade-credit to knock it to $4.5 out of pocket.

I can live with that.

People keep saying it is less than what gamestop will give you, but you don't understand that amazon has more products available than gamestop (not just games) and Amazon generally is cheaper than gamestop for new products, so it washes out in the end. In addition, Amazon is taking ANY game as part of this trade in deal, I sold Tiger woods 07 for wii for $9. Gamestop always has limitations on their trade in specials. I think everyone here is smart enough to either to ebay or another method when games are worth more.

[quote name='pvtpyle'] In addition, Amazon is taking ANY game as part of this trade in deal, I sold Tiger woods 07 for wii for $9. .[/QUOTE]

This is really the essence of this "deal" (non-deal). If people find great TIVs for garbage they are done with, great. That's what a CAGer is all about.

However in general, this is not a "deal". It's a promo.

[quote name='pvtpyle']People keep saying it is less than what gamestop will give you, but you don't understand that amazon has more products available than gamestop (not just games) and Amazon generally is cheaper than gamestop for new products, so it washes out in the end. In addition, Amazon is taking ANY game as part of this trade in deal, I sold Tiger woods 07 for wii for $9. Gamestop always has limitations on their trade in specials. I think everyone here is smart enough to either to ebay or another method when games are worth more.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by ANY game, they are very picky, ALOT of games can not be traded to them. They pretty much only take 2009 sports titles. Plus having to wait a week + to get my credit really sucks.

I think only a very few ppl are really going to be able to make this work for them, in general GS are much better and give a hands on experience. I don't have to waste time wrapping games, and driving to the post office when dealing with GS either.

I took advantage of this deal only because of the +$5 per game extra, and they take in PS1 and XBox games. 5 games of junk for Madworld? Worth the effort in my book.

Bah, they just received my trade-in of 4 games today, and they say that one of the games was damaged. They were all good when I put them in the box, and I wrapped them all together in bubble wrap. I guess it's possible the disc somehow popped off the spindle and got scratched up within the case, but that seems unlikely. So now I guess I'm going to miss out on the $20 coupon and instead get a $10 one. Ugh.

While I am supremely pleased at having placed my order earlier today for Madworld at ~$5 out of pocket, stories like yours that go hand-in-hand with the medium of trade (shipped) + the less than stellar trade values they're giving ... I can't say that I'll be trading any more games to Amazon short of another spectacular promo.

[quote name='xplocvo']Bah, they just received my trade-in of 4 games today, and they say that one of the games was damaged. They were all good when I put them in the box, and I wrapped them all together in bubble wrap. I guess it's possible the disc somehow popped off the spindle and got scratched up within the case, but that seems unlikely. So now I guess I'm going to miss out on the $20 coupon and instead get a $10 one. Ugh.[/QUOTE]

Now that sucks, I wonder if they have insurance on the package mailing, if I was you I'd make a royal stink and see what happens. I think taking pictures of each disk before mailing is now in order, which makes this whole process even more of a cluster fuck!!

[quote name='stoned99']Now that sucks, I wonder if they have insurance on the package mailing, if I was you I'd make a royal stink and see what happens. I think taking pictures of each disk before mailing is now in order, which makes this whole process even more of a cluster fuck!![/QUOTE]

I just got off the phone with them to see if there was anything that could be done. As I've worked in customer service for years I try not to make a royal stink unless it's really called for, and I did not think this situation warranted ramping up or anything of the sort. The call made me realize just how little Amazon has to do with this whole thing. The rep was basically just reading through the same FAQ that is on the site, and when I pressed about what would happen with the special promotion he finally put me on hold then came back with an answer of "the code would be based on how many games are accepted, so yes you will only get the $10 coupon". They have no details as far as the damages to the item or anything like that, they are only sent the same information from the third party merchant that is available to us on the account section of the site. I will be steering clear of their trade-in service in the future.

How long does it take to get your $20 off coupon? I just got conformation of them receiving my games today, but have yet to get my coupon.

[quote name='Mortimer11']How long does it take to get your $20 off coupon? I just got conformation of them receiving my games today, but have yet to get my coupon.[/quote]
I got my coupon via email two days after they received my trade-ins.

Sent 4 games in on Monday, got the credit today (Saturday).
$29 for 4 games I'll never touch again (including 3 PS1 games GS won't even take any more) is pretty good. Already spent it on 2 Cd's and a book with free shipping.
And when the $20 code rolls, even better!

Happy with the service for now, but I won't think about trading unless there's a promotion running.

I got my trade in credit about 5 days after mailing and received the code two days after. I am satisfied although I wish they had more games you could put the $20 extra credit. I bit on Hawx for the 360 since I enjoyed the demo.

I'm going to send in my games tomorrow. I was able to find 4 games that I know I will never touch. 18 bucks credit plus the $20 I can put towards SF4 is a good deal. Plus SF4 only costs 52 bucks and no tax.

[quote name='technole']No, you're not even close either. Do you know why its "free" shipping? That cost is being taken out of your TIV. Hence the lower base. They all do it including Dealtree.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Nominated for worst post of '09 that I've read.

Considering that I have to prepare ONE shipment instead of 4 on ebay and having people flake or perhaps claim they never got it, Amazon is a good alternative.

I'm definitely going to trade in titles in the future, provided they continue to run good trade-in promos--the process was extremely fast and relatively painless.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']I'm definitely going to trade in titles in the future, provided they continue to run good trade-in promos--the process was extremely fast and relatively painless.[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding, it's a royal pain in the ass. First you have to have perfect games, then you need to find the damn games on the website (at least 30% of the stuff I looked for was not present), then you have to print the mailing label and pack the games. Then the real fun starts.... The long wait for the games to ship snail mail across the country only to find out they were somehow damaged in transit. And then, you have to wait for the coupon's to be added to your account, to actually use the credit to buy another game. And lets not forget the fact that the +10/+20 deals seem to be 1 per household, so no repeat deals!!!

Shit and the trade in values are NOT competitive with GC, GS or BBV.

Goozex, is the best way to maximize your trade in values.

[quote name='vherub']@xplocvo:

Do they return the damaged game?[/QUOTE]

It says it is being returned, but I have not received it yet. On their FAQ it says it may take up to 14 days to be returned.

I also got screwed with this promotion. I sent in four ps2 games, all in working condition with no visible scratches and all with manuals/cases. Just got an email today saying they received my games. Three accepted, one rejected ("Damaged Item" is the only explanation they gave). I called customer service and they said that they will not allow me to replace the "damaged game" or return the other three games to me. They said there's no way for me to get the $20 promotion w/o creating a new order and submitting four new games. I'm a fairly calm guy on the phone and tried to explain why this doesn't make sense, but even after a supervisor (which took 10 minutes of holding to be transferred to), I was out of luck. They give you no option to correct the situation. They (or the merchant) control whether they accept the games or not and give you no opportunity to fix the trade if they decide to reject one. For all I know, they could open three, call it good, break the fourth in half, reject it, and screw you out of the promotion (I'm not saying they would and I don't think they did, but they could). Wow, just wow. Guess I won't be using this service in the future. I had found the four games that, after the promotion, allowed me to get KZ2 for free and now I have to pay the majority of the game cost if I want it still. Pretty annoying.

As another poster said, it really sounds like Amazon has little to do with this, and it's mostly being handled by the third-party. Even if they have a decent deal, I don't think I'll be taking advantage of it. It's nonsense that you can do zero about a "damaged" game.

i just did 2 separate orders, one of them has a fifth game just in case one of them gets rejected

I called GS and the prices they offered were better even with edge, not by a ton, but 20 bucks off SFIV and RE5 is great.

I decided ill jump on this deal for $15 credit for 4 games and another $20 off for Street Fighter IV or Resident Evil 5, even though I hate Capcom with them charging for fuck thats already on the disc and should be free.

Ah crap I've been thinking about getting in on this for FEAR 2. I might have to buy replacement DVD cases since at least one is cracked.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']As another poster said, it really sounds like Amazon has little to do with this, and it's mostly being handled by the third-party. Even if they have a decent deal, I don't think I'll be taking advantage of it. It's nonsense that you can do zero about a "damaged" game.[/QUOTE]

i remember a company back in the 90s had a trade in program that had real good trade prices BUT in the small print it said something like

The company has to declare any game as damage... Any game the company conciders damage will not be paid and will not be return

so mostly they were screwing you out the cash and the game

also if you sent in a game that was missing the manual they would do the same thing and they would bill you on top of it

Game A credit 10
Game B credit 10
Game C No credit missing book
No book fee

Total check 16 bucks .. and you would not get back that third game or they would screw you over on shipping it back to you (something like 10 to 20 bucks per game to ship them back)

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']i just did 2 separate orders, one of them has a fifth game just in case one of them gets rejected

I called GS and the prices they offered were better even with edge, not by a ton, but 20 bucks off SFIV and RE5 is great.[/quote]

Did you send them from separate addresses? I think the fine print says one $20 off coupon per household.

On a separate note, I mailed in four games on Friday, from MN, and they cleared today, now I just need my coupon code to buy a game, sweet.

bread's done
Back