AMC's The Walking Dead - S3 2nd half starts 02/10/13 9PM ET

This episode was okay...but it took way too long to get to the point. We all knew they were going to go back for Merle and we all knew he was going to cut off his hand, but they shoved all of that into the last third of the episode and mixed it with frog-catching and super shallow angry husband douche.

Shane and Lori are already my least favorite characters, they're both pretty unlikable and are just annoying.

I haven't read the comics, but it seems to me from what I've read about them that that's what they're really about anyway.People having to get along and work together to survive.

No problem with the pacing of this episode, finale will be full on zombie odds are so they need to get the human drama out of the way before these people become lunch.

[quote name='coolsteel']No problem with the pacing of this episode, finale will be full on zombie odds are so they need to get the human drama out of the way before these people become lunch.[/QUOTE]

I have no problem with drama (unlike a lot of people in this thread I'm far from complaining NOT ENOUGH ZOMBIES!!), and I thought the first half had great human moments with the two groups reuniting and getting to know the characters a little more. I just thought the second half chose really boring characters to focus the drama on.

[quote name='Jodou']My thoughts exactly. This show is focusing waaaaaaaaaay too much on real world problems, not survival. The first episode didn't have nor need racism, adultry, or any of this soap opera drama. It's just bad direction and unnecessary.[/QUOTE]

Yes, because there would never be drama when you got a mixed group of people together during an emergency. :roll: Again, the show isn't going to be about mass zombie killing every single time and if you're expecting that then you need to look elsewhere.

People seem to be forgetting that this is a SERIES. Take it as a whole. Not every episode needs to be about murdering hordes and hordes of zombies.

[quote name='coolsteel']No problem with the pacing of this episode, finale will be full on zombie odds are so they need to get the human drama out of the way before these people become lunch.[/QUOTE]
By then we may not care if they die lol. In fact, I'm rooting for the zombies to wipe out the entire camp except for Daryl, Rick, and Short Round so we can get on with the fucking show.

[quote name='blissskr']People want every episode to play out like a round of Cod Nazi zombies apparently.[/QUOTE]

As someone who loves discussing shows like this online (one of the reasons I got so into Lost), it bums me out that this show seems pretty much impossible to talk about anywhere. Any site I go to is full of:

"THERE'S NOT ENOUGH ZOMBIES WTF"
"That didnt happen in the comic this is so STUPID!"
"Hey guys wait until you meet this character/this happens/this character dies it was so awesome in the comic"

I'd also love to know what about the Pilot made people think this was going to be a show about wall-to-wall zombie action. The pilot was an hour and a half long with a straight 30 minutes of no commercials, and how many zombie scenes did it have? All I can think of is Rick waking up (were there zombies then?), Rick bashing the one zombie, the sniper rifle/half-woman scene, and the ending. Almost the entire thing was character focused.

This is a show on AMC, the channel know for doing shows that are pretty much exclusively character-focused. It's not SyFy. If this show had been designed to be 40 minutes a week of gory zombie fighting, it would never have been greenlit.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Yes, because there would never be drama when you got a mixed group of people together during an emergency. :roll: Again, the show isn't going to be about mass zombie killing every single time and if you're expecting that then you need to look elsewhere.[/QUOTE]
Where did I say it needed to be? In fact, tell me this: if you cut zombies from the show right now, would you still be watching? Pretend this is a nuclear holocaust they're surviving instead. I guarantee you the room would clear if that were the case because you and I both know that seeing zombies is the only thing keeping people interested past the first episode.

[quote name='Jodou'] In fact, tell me this: if you cut zombies from the show right now, would you still be watching? Pretend this is a nuclear holocaust instead and that's what they're surviving.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I would be.

[quote name='Jodou'] I guarantee you the room would clear if that were the case because you and I both know that seeing zombies are the only thing keeping people interested past the first episode[/quote]

Yeah, I bet the only reason people stuck around for more than two episodes of Mad Men is because they were really into the advertising industry of the past.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Yes, I would be.

Yeah, I bet the only reason people stuck around for more than two episodes of Mad Men is because they were really into the advertising industry of the past.[/QUOTE]
Well, I don't get what you see in the show then and I've never seen Mad Men, so I can't comment on that.

I'm not gonna lie. I started watching TWD because of the premise of zombies. And while I definitely would love a few more of them, I'm very happy with the show. Though I'm not really sure if I would have ever started watching if it was, say, a nuclear holocaust show. And considering the rating seem to be booming, I think it's a fair assessment. The zombies drew people in, but it's the show that is keeping them.

[quote name='Chronis']I'm not gonna lie. I started watching TWD because of the premise of zombies. And while I definitely would love a few more of them, I'm very happy with the show. Though I'm not really sure if I would have ever started watching if it was, say, a nuclear holocaust show. And considering the rating seem to be booming, I think it's a fair assessment. The zombies drew people in, but it's the show that is keeping them.[/QUOTE]
We'll see tomorrow if they're truly sticking around. I'd be very interested to see the ratings from this week.

[quote name='Jodou']Where did I say it needed to be? In fact, tell me this: if you cut zombies from the show right now, would you still be watching? Pretend this is a nuclear holocaust they're surviving instead. I guarantee you the room would clear if that were the case because you and I both know that seeing zombies is the only thing keeping people interested past the first episode.[/QUOTE]

Your previous comments about how this episode is "boring as shit" states that it's pretty obvious that you care nothing about character development and any semblance of drama in the story. This episode helped to develop many of the struggles between the characters. The frog bit was weak, but still important to show the bond that they had, then lost.

Yes, I personally would be watching because the story up to this point has been solid. You could replace zombies with "wasteland fiends" and I'd still watch it. In fact, I'd love that. It'd be more like Fallout. ;)

[quote name='mtxbass1']Your previous comments about how this episode is "boring as shit" states that it's pretty obvious that you care nothing about character development and any semblance of drama in the story.[/QUOTE]
Well duh. If the characters are boring and annoying, I'm going to call them such. Hell, bring back the black guy and his son. Those two were infinitely better developed in 15 minutes than this tripe.

Here is the problem. You guys are using the excuse of people wanting wall to wall zombie action to hide the fact that in truth the show just isnt good anyway you slice it. Its simply not a good show. Period. If this wasnt named The Walking Dead then you probably wouldnt even watch it because I know I wouldnt. Its not the worst but its definitely nothing to write home about. To be honest I dont even know why this is an hour long.

The show failed from the start because The Walking Dead isnt really a story that can be told in real world TV form. The comic is very detailed and brutal. The best thing about it was anyone could die at anytime (and many people did) where as this this, this is just a run of the mill TV Drama where the zombies could be replaced my tigers or escaped convicts.

I GOTTA wonder aloud here; for all you guys who are saying this show is so horrible....what do y'all consider great shows on TV right now?

[quote name='Soodmeg']Here is the problem. You guys are using the excuse of people wanting wall to wall zombie action to hide the fact that in truth the show just isnt good anyway you slice it. Its simply not a good show. Period. If this wasnt named The Walking Dead then you probably wouldnt even watch it because I know I wouldnt. Its not the worst but its definitely nothing to write home about. To be honest I dont even know why this is an hour long.

The show failed from the start because The Walking Dead isnt really a story that can be told in real world TV form. The comic is very detailed and brutal. The best thing about it was anyone could die at anytime (and many people did) where as this this, this is just a run of the mill TV Drama where the zombies could be replaced my tigers or escaped convicts.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for dictating to me what MY opinion is. It's much appreciated.

Those pipes looked rusty as fuck so
why did he have to cut his hand off?

It was much better than the second episode, but it's deviating a bit too much from the comic and first episode. I loved when it was just Glenn and Rick traversing Atlanta. Now we have tons of other people involved.

It is plain and simple that this episode was inferior to the one before it, which itself was inferior to the pilot. Should this negative trend continue, I cannot imagine any entertainment left in the series.

Foremost in my complaints: let us not forget that this show is based on a successful comic of the same name. Rather than point at the myriad of changes and discrepencies, I find it prudent to remind people that this show has taken the same name of the comic and is advertised as "Based on the comic book by Robert Kirkman." This is significant because it creates expectations amongst an important portion of the show's audience. While whatever marketing was undertaken will inevitable draw in newcomers, word of mouth from fans of the comic will draw some significant amount of viewers as well. These same fans of the comic will nitpick the show for every little thing that is wrong (and while I have likewise noted many things wrong with it from the perspective of the comic, I have another point here). Instead, I want to point out that by taking the title of the comic for the show, and proclaiming it as inspiration, the expected story and scenes should outnumber the artistic liberties.

Moving on, I have other complaints about this most recent episode. The dramatic scenes feel too forced, and sometimes unnessecary. Specifically, the lake scene from tonight.
Ed, the wife beater, was this really that necessary?
I understand this is a drama, but this isn't something that the show needs right now.

... I've lost any motivation to continue ranting at this point. Suffice to say, after watching each episode, my enthusiasm for subsequent episodes wanes. I'll continue to watch it, because if I remove my attachment from the comics then the show is decent (I still have complaints about the zombies: rock smash door - fence climbing...).

[quote name='GhostShark']Those pipes looked rusty as fuck so
why did he have to cut his hand off?

It was much better than the second episode, but it's deviating a bit too much from the comic and first episode. I loved when it was just Glenn and Rick traversing Atlanta. Now we have tons of other people involved.[/QUOTE]

I think he panicked and didn't know how long that door would hold. Hell that didn't bother me as much as if he was on a roof where exactly did he run off to missing one hand no less?

[quote name='Kreutz']

Moving on, I have other complaints about this most recent episode. The dramatic scenes feel too forced, and sometimes unnessecary. Specifically, the lake scene from tonight.
Ed, the wife beater, was this really that necessary?
I understand this is a drama, but this isn't something that the show needs right now.

[/QUOTE]

I felt the same way about ol
Ed
, really came off as more forced then it should have and probably should have been foreshadowed this episode and then resolved next.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']I GOTTA wonder aloud here; for all you guys who are saying this show is so horrible....what do y'all consider great shows on TV right now?[/QUOTE]
Aside from seasons of Californication? Nothing. I don't watch much TV TBH.[quote name='GhostShark']It was much better than the second episode, but it's deviating a bit too much from the comic and first episode. I loved when it was just Glenn and Rick traversing Atlanta. Now we have tons of other people involved.[/QUOTE]It's because there's an actual feeling of isolation and tension when it's just a few people. When you add too many people to the mix and nobody is dying, you lose that.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Thank you for dictating to me what MY opinion is. It's much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Your welcome, first time is free but you got to pay if you want me to keep telling you. :lol:

Episode 3 was slow. It really dragged on at some points. And I agree that the sense of danger isn't as prominent as it is in the comics. Regardless I still really enjoyed the show. All the complaining I hear is coming from the internets. All my friends and co-workers like the show, but then again I'm the only one who's read the comics so I have different expectations.

I think what this show has going for it is the source. It's a damn good foundation for a story. Unfortunately they've already started to deviate from it quite a bit so it has me a little concerned. But their were a few added elements that were a nice touch, so I wouldn't say stick directly to the source.

They need to develop the characters, sometimes that involves pausing the action a bit. I would suggest playing Dead Rising or some other zombie bullshit if you don't have the patience for that.

Man, I guess haters gonna hate.

I haven't watched episode 3 yet but I loved the first two. Character-driven shows are usually great. Zombies are an added bonus, IMO.

Yeah it seems to be a show more about morality, and zombies are the medium that they're using.

I definitely found myself trying to decide whether I would have gone back to save the racist redneck. Would I have risked my life to save the guy in the tank. I like shows that make you ask questions like that.

[quote name='Jodou']Well duh. If the characters are boring and annoying, I'm going to call them such. Hell, bring back the black guy and his son. Those two were infinitely better developed in 15 minutes than this tripe.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the black guy and his son will come back. They wouldn't feature them so heavily to have them never show up again. I will say that now 2 episodes out and not hearing from them is too long though.

I'm also finding myself less motivated to watch the series as it goes on. The trailers advertise it one way, then the show deviates completely from that. I'll finish out the series but we'll have to see about season 2 and beyond...

The Ed part could have been done better but from some of the comments I expect some people would have preferred that Shane randomly beat the fuck out of a zombie that appeared instead. But somehow I don't think that would have quite the dramatic effect needed in showing the venting of his pent up frustration with the situation he's now facing, zombies aside.

I'm digging the show, and I will continue to support it. More than anything, it makes me want to go re-read the beginning of the comic series. I sold the first three hardbacks a while back and have just been reading the singles as they come out.

Yeah, the part about Ed hitting his wife was more about showing Shane's temper, which I know will come back to bite Rick in the ass. Things between Rick and Shane aren't going to stay rosey, once everything is out in the open I imagine they'll have a good fight.

But this stuff would absolutely happen in a situation like this, why everyone is complinaing about the focus on it I don't understand. This was never going to be some Romero blood and gorefest.

I think the downfall of this show for me is the acting. I dont believe for a second that anyone is in any danger. Like I said before it just feels so watered down into a TV drama which take everything away from the comic. The comic has a lot of non zombie related drama that was driven by the fact that in the middle of their conversation a zed head could bite the back of their ass.

This has the same structure as every other TV drama. I cant get over the fact that because of the structure of a TV Drama there is going to need to be about 5-10 people that can never get killed or hurt. Then they are going to use the Star Trek Ensign Formula to create danger. And the rest will be filled with forced human drama like beating up a guy for beating up his wife.

I know you guys dont like to hear this but its true. Someone needs to die in order to keep that edge of danger. Going 4 or 5 episodes without someone dying kills what makes The Walking Dead, The Walking Dead.

ok saw the episode and i have to say i liked it more than last weeks. the beginning was cool definelty one of the few tense moments then it started to drag ( the scenes with shane and that chick are freakin horrible) it was cool to finally see rick reunited with his wife but man i was expecting more emotion from it.

ed is a useless character and i dont like the whole women clean shit while the men hunt why even throw that shit in there?

im glad they went back for the guns it really bugged me that theyd leave them there and maybe now the grenade will be used.

i still hopeful that at this seasons end that many of that group will be killed off theres too many of them and most of them arent interesting at all.

the one armed bandit will either kill some of them or he will lead the zombies to them for revenge.

I liked last nights episode and the preview for this weeks looks intense! I'm thinking that after next weeks episode the population will thin out some.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lokizz']ed is a useless character and i dont like the whole women clean shit while the men hunt why even throw that shit in there?[/QUOTE]

I see it as a way to show the diversity of the people there.

You got good cop and "bad" cop
You got hard working and lazy
You got stupid rednecks and college educated

It just shows the variety of people that get stuck together due to the zombie outbreak.

The next episode looks like it will have some action. I don't care if it deviates from the comic or doesn't have enough zombie action because I enjoy it so far. Kinda worried though have they will end this season.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Without having read the comic, I'd guess the first short season will end with paring down the cast a bit.[/QUOTE]

So you havent read the comic? That explains everything.

[quote name='Soodmeg']So you havent read the comic? That explains everything.[/QUOTE]

...explains what, exactly? That I like the show? That I'm not endlessly bitching about everything?

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']...explains what, exactly? That I like the show? That I'm not endlessly bitching about everything?[/QUOTE]

you should read the comics itll give you a better understaning of why so many people have issues with how things have been panning out in the tv series. the changes theyve made to diff characters will affect things and in a number of instances diminishes the power of the moments.

like if youd read the comics youd know ricks kid was younger than the one in the show and things he does and experiences and the way he deals with it really hit you hard but it illustrates how living in this new world dominated by zombies changes you.

carl imo was and is one of the most interesting characters in the comic series. im really damn curious to see who will play
michone
too.

[quote name='lokizz']you should read the comics itll give you a better understaning of why so many people have issues with how things have been panning out in the tv series. the changes theyve made to diff characters will affect things and in a number of instances diminishes the power of the moments.

like if youd read the comics youd know ricks kid was younger than the one in the show and things he does and experiences and the way he deals with it really hit you hard but it illustrates how living in this new world doinated by zombies changes you.

carl imo was and is one of the most interesting characters in the comic series. im really damn curious to see who will play
michone
too.[/QUOTE]

Or I could just watch the TV show and take it as a TV show, not worrying about how much it changed from the source material, and enjoy myself a whole lot more than everyone else seems to me.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Or I could just watch the TV show and take it as a TV show, not worrying about how much it changed from the source material, and enjoy myself a whole lot more than everyone else seems to me.[/QUOTE]

actually youd enjoy the comic more than the show. the quality of writing and character development is that much better. whether now or later you should read the comics.

Here's the deal, at the end of the day it all boils down to the show NOT being a zombie survival show. The show, despite claims to the contrary is following the comic pretty well actually. The plot elements have changed and new storylines have been created but really the theme of living in a post-apocalyptic world over-run by zombies is still intact. If you don't understand the distinction between living and surviving then you're not gonna enjoy the show, plain and simple.

Oh, and in response to replacing the zombies with nuclear holocaust. That was already done, it was called Jericho, and it was an equally excellent show.

Comment on extra characters in TV vs. comics
Ever think maybe they're just extra fodder down the road? Sure there's tons of new characters which were added but if the comic has shown us anything it's that anyone is fair game. The survivor group will suffer casualties but they can't kill off the mains this early because people watch TV shows for certain main characters/actors and jumping ahead to killing off everyone like the comic does from time to time will alienate the average viewer.

Its the one reason why I don't feel like we'll ever see Lori and the baby get killed in the TV show like we did in the comic. People get too attached to characters on TV and pull out of the show when they're gone.

Jim Gaffigan has a joke about people that envitably state that the book version of a movie is always better than the movie. His response is this: "You know what I like about the movie? No reading."

Replace book with comic book / graphic novel and movie with TV show and you get the idea.

I am enjoying the show for what it is. A TV show.

While I highly recommend reading the comics (because they are awesome) I'm not about to tell someone to buy them just so their opinions seem more credible. Just by reading this thread anyone can see their are differences between the two. If you're intrested in finding out what they are then go for it. Most likely you'll enjoy the comics more. If not then enjoy the show for what it is.

I always hate when people say the book is better.

That being said, the book is better. Still, not a bad show.

As far as dude on the roof
chopping his hand off
goes, I could see him taking on the (spoilers for the comics)
Govenor role which would make him chopping off Rick's hand more justifiable

Strange to see people go "it's shitty, but it's a TV show (so that should be expected) and it has zombies...so i'll watch every episode regardless"

[quote name='Rodimus']While I highly recommend reading the comics (because they are awesome) I'm not about to tell someone to buy them just so their opinions seem more credible. Just by reading this thread anyone can see their are differences between the two. If you're intrested in finding out what they are then go for it. Most likely you'll enjoy the comics more. If not then enjoy the show for what it is.[/QUOTE]

nobody said buy them just read them if he wants to buy them whatever or he could borrow them from someone.

I'm saving them all up to watch in one go. But my mom has been telling me she's disappointed that the episodes are so long but don't really go anywhere. Like how the premiere just dragged on. But, to be fair, Kirkman's books drag on too. They're great for a TPB collector, but I'd be kinda pissed if I was reading individual issues as they came out.

I did enjoy the comics to start with, but changing artists really took a lot of the soul out. Adlard's drawing style had a lot of genuine emotion that added greatly to the dialog. Like in the first few pages where Rick finds that zombie on the side of the road and he's just devastated as he finally lets it all sink in.

bread's done
Back