American Cars ... got to love 'em! ;)

Read that earlier. Can't really blame Ford if they think the car won't sell, diesel cars never have been popular here in the US.

Modern diesel cars are great, but they can be hard to find here and cost a little more.

There are issues, particularly the engine which would require a big capital investment here to not have to import them from England, but not figuring out a way to get this car here is why Ford sucks as a company.

Just make them in whatever low wage country they currently use, i'm guessing Mexico. Would be better to make them here for the increase in jobs, but that's unlikely.

I think my dad drives a ford truck that has a diesel engine; so why can't they use that same factory to microsize? an engine? Or would an entirely new factory have to be built or something? Crazy!

I wish VW sold the 70 mpg diesel-electric Golf here

VW_Golf_Hybrid.jpg

You can't even import them...

Haha! I thought it was going to be something like "they can't make a speedometer in MPH over there" or put the steering wheel on the other side or something like that ;) j/k ! Seems like an easy thing to fix really if they actually wanted to get us gas efficient cars ... but then I guess they would miss out on all the taxes they get from gas :bomb: !

Unfortunately, America's car safety regs don't match up exactly with Europe's / Japan / Australia's, so cars have to be retested, and in many cases, subtly changed to meet specs here.

[quote name='Shan82']I think my dad drives a ford truck that has a diesel engine; so why can't they use that same factory to microsize? an engine? Or would an entirely new factory have to be built or something? Crazy![/quote]

Besides, the automaker would have to produce at least 350,000 engines a year to make such a venture profitable. "We just don't think North and South America would buy that many diesel cars," says Fields.

There you have it. I've worked in factories plenty and overseen a relatively simple line conversion. It is not so easy as simply 'microsizing' a production line. It could be done but for the cost Ford might as well build a new plant. After years of missteps they have no cash on hand to do so.

I know with diesels its not even saftey standards that's the problem. Oddly enough, American emmissions standards are strict enough that its cost prohibitive to run these types of diesels over here without major retooling.

Also, the diesel in an F-150 and the diesel in this thing are very different.

[quote name='dafoomie']Modern diesel cars are great, but they can be hard to find here and cost a little more.

There are issues, particularly the engine which would require a big capital investment here to not have to import them from England, but not figuring out a way to get this car here is why Ford sucks as a company.[/QUOTE]

From what I got from reading the article is that they wanted to. The only issue is cost and they can not afford to do so. They are dipping into 1 billion dollars in reserves every month. Also the fact that diesel cars do not sell well here in the states. Only 3% of the cars in the US use diesel. Hell they even said in that article that "Nissan and Honda, which long opposed building diesel cars in Europe, plan to introduce them in the U.S. in 2010." Maybe Ford will have it out by then if they see the market increase for that type of car. However America is trying to change from gas and go hydrogen, hybrid or even electric.

[quote name='JolietJake']Just make them in whatever low wage country they currently use, i'm guessing Mexico. Would be better to make them here for the increase in jobs, but that's unlikely.[/QUOTE]

In the article it said that they thought about Mexico only it would cost to much.

"Ford plans to make a gas-powered version of the Fiesta in Mexico for the U.S. So why not manufacture diesel engines there, too? Building a plant would cost at least $350 million at a time when Ford has been burning through more than $1 billion a month in cash reserves. Besides, the automaker would have to produce at least 350,000 engines a year to make such a venture profitable. "We just don't think North and South America would buy that many diesel cars," says Fields."​

If Americans would buy this car then Ford chances are could get back in the game and you would se GM and Chrystler would do the same. However GM is already working on something that might even be better.

2862312675_2db2b58873.jpg

I put it in a spoiler due to image size. The Chevy Volt it also planed to be out in 2010 and may just be the car that makes me go back to GM. I will however check out the reviews of it first and test drive one more then once. I see this car selling a lot and the price I just read is expected to be around 30-35,000. However I also read in the past that Chevy wants to keep it around 25-30,000.

American cars are a sad state of affairs right now. If I had the money, I'd just buy German cars like BMW or Audi and never spend a cent on another America car...er, except the new Camaro. ;)

I would still rather have the Volt however the concept looked better then the car itself does. Also I'm just sick of paying the gas prices if it wasn't for that I would take the new Challenger over anything else.

Well i didn't mean building a new plant, more adapting one they already use.

The question of how many they'd need to make to turn a profit is another subject. Auto manufacturers themselves are one reason why diesel cars aren't popular here in the first place. They're mostly either European luxury cars or big trucks.

If i had one of these cars, i could get buy on probably 1-2 gallons of diesel a week.

I actually read a different article yesterday stating that ford will be bringing this car stateside... but it will be in 2010.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']American cars are a sad state of affairs right now.[/QUOTE]

Really? I think GM and Ford have really gotten their game together recently. Chrysler needs some help in my opinion but that's to be expected since they were sold off by Daimler and need to still work out the kinks. I'm not saying GM or Ford are perfect, but there is a night and day difference between the GM and Ford of 10 years ago and the companies of today.

That being said, my car is not made by either Ford or GM. Or even Chrysler. But it is built in the U.S.A.

[quote name='R1V3R5']Really? I think GM and Ford have really gotten their game together recently.[/quote]

They are requesting government bailouts. It's very different from 10 years ago. Ten years ago was also better because hybrids were unheard of, gas was cheap(er), and we still dominated the auto industry.

I still think their designs and quality have made a change for the better. Financially they are both fucked. Too little, too late.

[quote name='jlseal']Also, the diesel in an F-150 and the diesel in this thing are very different.[/quote]

Ok, so I'm confused?! :whistle2:s I've only ever seen one pump at the gas station for diesel. What is the difference then or where would they get a different diesel? (does it just not exist here yet?)

[quote name='Shan82']Ok, so I'm confused?! :whistle2:s I've only ever seen one pump at the gas station for diesel. What is the difference then or where would they get a different diesel? (does it just not exist here yet?)[/QUOTE]

He meant the diesel engine is different, not the fuel.

I wouldn't mind geting that sports car, as long as it is not a 2 seater, however I bet it will be around 80,000 or more. Are they full electric or are they going to be like the volt and use electric till it runs out then run on gas to drive and recharge the power.

That will be the only down side to the Volt is what the MPG is after you run out of electric power and how long will it take to charge back up. Last I read with it they were trying to get it to run everything and still power the car for a good amount of time. As of the time the article I read was posted they were having an issue trying to get a radio and other things that would work at todays standards and use low power.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']American cars are a sad state of affairs right now. If I had the money, I'd just buy German cars like BMW or Audi and never spend a cent on another America car...er, except the new Camaro. ;)[/QUOTE]

BMW maybe audi (VW) has had such a bad track record its not even funny.. supposedly they fixed that witht he 2008 model years but time will tell.

Toyota and Ford are actually very highly rated over the past few years (Toyota much longer, obviously). Dont count out Nissan and Honda, even hyandai is doing some real reliable cars now.

[quote name='JolietJake']Ford can't even come up with their own design ideas, that ford flex thing looks like a larger scion.[/QUOTE]

Chances are that is because both Ford and Scion are owned by the same people. If not then the person that made the larger Scion left Scion and went to Ford.

seems like 2010 is the year of high mileage cars! :) it'll be interesting to see if a few years down the line the gas stations are negatively affected! I think it will be so; but could take a while!

^what? Flex? ur crazy, it's just as FAIL as the Volt.

Anyway, I'd love to see that 70mpg Vdub come here! It's the only time I'd love to own a Vdub, although I'd be worried about the repair cost of them.

[quote name='sendme']Chances are that is because both Ford and Scion are owned by the same people. If not then the person that made the larger Scion left Scion and went to Ford.[/quote]
....Scion is owned by Toyota.

bread's done
Back