An open letter to CAG traders

RAMSTORIA

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
Dear CAG,

Please update your trade lists. If you sell a game, please take it off your list. Don't put a big line through it, don't put a big SOLD with dollar signs and smiley faces next to it. Just take it off your list. The search function on the website is bad enough as it is, but looking through the results for things only to find that you sold your game 3 months ago does not help. But don't worry, people will still know that you sold the game, because there's this really cool feature on the website. When you trade something you get "feedback". Now, this "feedback" let's everyone know that you sold a game, and whether or not the person was happy with that transaction. So don't worry, not knowing that you sold your copy of GTA: Vice City Stories to JimboJones on 2/18 for $10 dollars isn't going to make anyone upset. Just thinking it as making the site run smoother, because it does, and then a winner is not just you, a winner is us.

Love,

Ramstoria
XOXOXO

PS. If there's a user named JimboJones, sorry the name just came into my head.

PSS. I didn't want to put this in the trade forum, so I put it here, a mod can move it if they see fit.

I agree with this, but yet I'm kinda guilty of the same thing (but that's because I rarely update my tradelist at all.) However, if you are going to take the time to cross it out or write "sold" next to it, why not just simply delete it? It does mess with the search function and I think it's a "tease" in a way when I do find it with search :

Also, please have the courtesy to send a quick PM to say if you are no longer interested in a deal. Polite and short would be good. And if someone sends a PM (before you sent the item) to say they changed their mind or got a better deal or found one on their own, don't throw a hissy fit. See, the latter causes the former, and neither makes trading go smoothly.

Yeah, in the same vein it would be great if people wouldn't post things like "CML for Super Mario Galaxy" as that cause false positives when searching that the person whose trade list it's on can't help to fix outside of bugging pooky.
Of course it would also be great if there were two separate forums, one for "I have" lists and one for "I want" lists. That would make searching a lot more effective.

RAMSTORIA, I salute you.:applause:

[quote name='soonersfan60']Also, please have the courtesy to send a quick PM to say if you are no longer interested in a deal. Polite and short would be good. And if someone sends a PM (before you sent the item) to say they changed their mind or got a better deal or found one on their own, don't throw a hissy fit. See, the latter causes the former, and neither makes trading go smoothly.[/quote]

Seconded.

I absolutely agree with Ramstoria on this one. I'd add in that people that don't actually have their games in hand shouldn't offer them up for trade. Yep, I'm looking at you IXI Dragunz IXI. It's a gigantic pain to go through the process of offering only to hear "I don't have it yet, but I will next week, we'll talk then." Don't put it on your list then.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']PS. If there's a user named JimboJones, sorry the name just came into my head.[/quote]

You should have used Joey Joe Joe Shabadoo. No one could possibly be named that. Joey Joe Joe!

[quote name='ThatDamnDave']I absolutely agree with Ramstoria on this one. I'd add in that people that don't actually have their games in hand shouldn't offer them up for trade. Yep, I'm looking at you IXI Dragunz IXI. It's a gigantic pain to go through the process of offering only to hear "I don't have it yet, but I will next week, we'll talk then." Don't put it on your list then.

You should have used Joey Joe Joe Shabadoo. No one could possibly be named that. Joey Joe Joe![/quote]

That's the stupidest name I've ever heard. (and it's Joey Joe-Joe Junior Shabadoo :lol: )

[quote name='sp00ge']That's the stupidest name I've ever heard. (and it's Joey Joe-Joe Junior Shabadoo :lol: )[/quote]

::Runs out crying::

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']Dear CAG,

Please update your trade lists. If you sell a game, please take it off your list. Don't put a big line through it, don't put a big SOLD with dollar signs and smiley faces next to it. Just take it off your list. The search function on the website is bad enough as it is, but looking through the results for things only to find that you sold your game 3 months ago does not help. But don't worry, people will still know that you sold the game, because there's this really cool feature on the website. When you trade something you get "feedback". Now, this "feedback" let's everyone know that you sold a game, and whether or not the person was happy with that transaction. So don't worry, not knowing that you sold your copy of GTA: Vice City Stories to JimboJones on 2/18 for $10 dollars isn't going to make anyone upset. Just thinking it as making the site run smoother, because it does, and then a winner is not just you, a winner is us.

Love,

Ramstoria
XOXOXO

PSS. I didn't want to put this in the trade forum, so I put it here, a mod can move it if they see fit.[/QUOTE]

I agree that it's annoying to go into a trade list and see half the items be stuff that was sold forever and a day ago. Never even considered the thought that it would mess up the search function though , I almost never use the search function so that's probably why. I admit that I'm guilty of crossing items off my list instead of just removing them , but only before they ship. Kinda as a note for myself. If a game is in talks I'll note that it's in talks , once it's sold/traded but I haven't sent it out yet , I'll cross it out , once I ship it I delete it from the list.

Maybe I ought to stop doing that.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Also, please have the courtesy to send a quick PM to say if you are no longer interested in a deal. Polite and short would be good. And if someone sends a PM (before you sent the item) to say they changed their mind or got a better deal or found one on their own, don't throw a hissy fit. See, the latter causes the former, and neither makes trading go smoothly.[/QUOTE]

Fourthed' :)

I've already noted in my own tradelist that if I don't hear back from someone in 72hrs from the intial PM , then I assume the deal is dead. It'd be nice though if I didn't have to fall back on that so often and people would just say no thank you instead.

[quote name='ThatDamnDave']I absolutely agree with Ramstoria on this one. I'd add in that people that don't actually have their games in hand shouldn't offer them up for trade. Yep, I'm looking at you IXI Dragunz IXI. It's a gigantic pain to go through the process of offering only to hear "I don't have it yet, but I will next week, we'll talk then." Don't put it on your list then.[/QUOTE]

If I can add one more , don't list stuff that you have no plans to sell or most likely won't sell unless you note it appropriatly. Can't count how many times I've made an offer to buy something only for the other person to say "Sorry that's not for sale , I'm just showing everyone that I have it". Then say NOT FOR SALE , REFERANCE ONLY.

Amen to the OP.

Why, why WHY do some of you have MASSIVE lists and then you keep all the stuff you've traded or sold on that list or in the post? Again, thats why there's a feedback system. I've come to recognize certain tradelists now that I won't even bother to look at because its so messy.

[quote name='StarKnightX']

If I can add one more , don't list stuff that you have no plans to sell or most likely won't sell unless you note it appropriatly. Can't count how many times I've made an offer to buy something only for the other person to say "Sorry that's not for sale , I'm just showing everyone that I have it". Then say NOT FOR SALE , REFERANCE ONLY.[/quote]

Yes, that irks me too. I'm looking for a game and I see it on someone's list and I get excited only to see, this is not for trade its only for reference or you have to make an insane deal for me to trade this.

Take it off your fucking list then. If you have no intention of trading it why put it up? You can't seriously get that many offers for games you already own that it becomes a problem.

Nice, I agree with the OP and also with the idea of taking off things not for sale.

Further, take off the "hard to part with" bullshit. If you put a game up for trade, hear people's offers and say no, but if you put "hard to part with" people are not going to trade with you because they figure it is a lost cause. If you can't part with a game DONT PUT IT ON YOUR TRADELIST!!!

[quote name='StarKnightX']
If I can add one more , don't list stuff that you have no plans to sell or most likely won't sell unless you note it appropriatly. Can't count how many times I've made an offer to buy something only for the other person to say "Sorry that's not for sale , I'm just showing everyone that I have it". Then say NOT FOR SALE , REFERANCE ONLY.[/quote]

Not to mention that no one gives a damn what games you own. These conversations: "Hey, that guy owns Halo 3! How rare and novel!" don't happen.

I hated the "SOLD" listings just due to visual annoyance. I never thought about them screwing with the search functionality. Good point, OP.

If I may make a suggestion, there are a lot of people with sold/traded items in their lists and I doubt the majority of them have gone back to look at the rules or seen this thread. Should there be a sticky or announcement made to make them aware?

Anyone else sick of seeing this? While I don't mind it for most lists, it gets pretty rediculous on a few.

*some background involving tragedy and financial difficulty here*

MY TRADE RULES
-If you look at this, you have to bump my thread
-If you PM me, you'd have to bump my thread before PM'ing and bump again after PM'ing
-Bump my thread since you're reading my thread and now you're automically required to follow my own thread rules I just made up arbitrarily.
-No lowball offers on my games- only retail price or above - refer to highest ebay ending prices.
-I only want to buy/trade for super deals aka overvalue my games + undervalue yours.

NO LABELED PRICES ON ANYTHING. ONLY MAKE ME OFFERS THAT I CANNOT REFUSE - AKA MY DS LITE 4 BUGATTI... (ok, maybe just a FERRARI) OR I MOST DEFINITELY WILL.
  • RED= SUPER HARD TO PART WITH. ONLY WILLING TO PART WITH IF GODLY OFFER AND CASH MUNNIES +3% PAYPAL + S/H.
  • Yellow = I WANT TO GET RID OF MY BARBIE AND WII HORSE GAMES. I WILL TRADE 2X FOR YOUR 59.99 GAME.
Final Fantasy VII - MAKE ME OFFER - SUPER HARD TO PART WITH - ONLY IF OFFER IS RIGHT!

and

MY Brand New Nintendo Wii with
5 (FIVE) CINCO GAMES!!! - *~Wii Sports~*
Nintendo Wii System (BRAND NEW!)
Wii controller (BRAND NEW!)
Wii mote (BRAND NEW!)
Nintedo WII BOX - MINT-PRISTINE-LIKE-NEW-AWESOME CONDITION!
Power cable and brick !!!
Cables cables stock cables
Nintendo Wii BRAND NEW stand
Nintendo Wii Instructions
Nintendo Wii plastic bag
Target Shopping Bag

All I'm asking is for a fair price:
$249.99 x 1.0825% (tax) + $25 (gas for driving down to target in my Hummer) + $50 (for my time getting the wii) + $30 s/h

and

MY SOLDZ/TRADED/PURCASED FROM STORE/GOOZEX'ED STUFF/PERSONAL COLLECTION AND NOT FOR SALE/ LISTS:
RICK AND ROLLED BITCH LAWL
RICK AND ROLLED AGAIN BITCH LOLOFMGROFLZ
EVERY GAME EVER.

I mean, if its not for sale, then take it off your list please. There's something called the search engine that some people use.

I like keeping track of my trades. Also, I keep games on my tradelist that I don't intend to sell/trade, otherwise I'd be getting offers for games I already have.

I'll probably start keeping a notepad file for completed trades older then 2 months though. I doubt anyone past 2 months would need a trade history.

Hmm, I barely even started my list and I already am doing it wrong. What about keeping old transactions in a spoiler tag? I guess that still shows up in search, but at least it's not as cluttered, right? Though I'm probably better off just deleting and forgetting, huh.

Time to go take the 'hard to part with' section out of my list.

There's nothing wrong with having a 'hard to part with' section if you have something like a 'want badly list'.

I'll remove my completed trades (although it is placed nicely and neatly in a spoiler tag) when I'm allowed to edit my past feedbacks so I can keep track there instead. Or CAG 2.0 gives a personal notes section for each user where I can put stuff there.

Wheres the "Constructive criticism" for other CAG's list ?... all i see is your demands.

Now i'm not thread crapping ... i'm just trying to figure out what you mean with your thread title.

-If you PM me, you'd have to bump my thread before PM'ing

Sounds fair but shouldn't be necessary only a courtesy

-No lowball offers on my games- only retail price or above

NOW this one is joke ... why would anyone offer retail or above.
If they are willing to do that they'll just get it from amazon.

-I only want to buy/trade for super deals

Good luck on that.

This is so not written well, but I get what the OP is saying, that's how a lot of the threads for trading are like, he's just mocking them.

I used to get annoyed with cags listing there games they wouldn't trade/sell. Many list them so as to not get trade offers for games they have already. I don't remember who it was but some one has links to all of the individual trade your console specific game threads. It was pretty slick. I say create a thread where you post what you have not for trade and link to it on your trading thread. Then we could all use the search feature more effectively.

[quote name='mike.m']Amen to the OP.

Why, why WHY do some of you have MASSIVE lists and then you keep all the stuff you've traded or sold on that list or in the post? Again, thats why there's a feedback system. I've come to recognize certain tradelists now that I won't even bother to look at because its so messy.[/quote]

You mean like I think you bitched about mine? I put stuff in RED and YELLOW because PEOPLE DON'T READ YOUR PRICE INFO AND TRADING RULES OTHERWISE.

If people would just put themselves in the other person's shoes before PMing, I wouldn't feel the need to interject here and say that I'm not going to fuck myself over and LOSE money just to give someone a cheap deal. I'd rather rip every guide I have up and use the pages as toilet paper than do that. I've been offered $3 SHIPPED for one guide before, which is why I don't even answer PMs where someone offers me a price for something if it's a lowball. Same thing goes with games, where I'll try and do a deal for someone if I can find a game they want, just don't go overboard and go demanding that I ship at less than what I paid.

The Ebay priced people on here also irk me, but that's a topic for a whole other discussion.

As for the 'hard to part with' thing, I've been doing that with alot of my guides lately due to a run I had on RPG guides I had the one time on my TL. So now anything that one might consider hard to come across as far as guides go are marked TRADE ONLY on my list.

It definitely hasn't saved me from experiencing a lull in guide deals, since now that I marked many of them TRADE ONLY, few have probably seriously looked at my list. But, see above for what I'd rather do than just let everything go and be stuck with no real 'trade bait'.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Added Rule #9 to the CAG Trading Guidelines.[/quote]
:whistle2:s
Strike through are completely forbidden now? I always used them to mark an item as "Gone but not shipped" because who knows if the person I'm trading with is a deadbeat who'll never ship my game.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']Dear CAG,

Love,

Ramstoria
XOXOXO

PSS. I didn't want to put this in the trade forum, so I put it here, a mod can move it if they see fit.[/quote]

You know, I never even thought about it affecting searching since searching had been screwed up for so long. Good point.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Also, please have the courtesy to send a quick PM to say if you are no longer interested in a deal. Polite and short would be good. And if someone sends a PM (before you sent the item) to say they changed their mind or got a better deal or found one on their own, don't throw a hissy fit. See, the latter causes the former, and neither makes trading go smoothly.[/quote]

Agreed with all of this.

[quote name='mike.m']Amen to the OP.

Why, why WHY do some of you have MASSIVE lists and then you keep all the stuff you've traded or sold on that list or in the post? Again, thats why there's a feedback system. I've come to recognize certain tradelists now that I won't even bother to look at because its so messy.[/quote]

One thing I have noticed is that there is too much feedback that says...

"A++++ Fast Trade"

...without saying what the heck was traded. That really bothers me, but maybe that is just my pet peeve though.

[quote name='mguiddy']:whistle2:s
Strike through are completely forbidden now? I always used them to mark an item as "Gone but not shipped" because who knows if the person I'm trading with is a deadbeat who'll never ship my game.[/quote]

What about using the spoiler tags for those items? I'm not sure, but maybe those won't show on a search? It's worth a shot.

[quote name='twen']This is so not written well, but I get what the OP is saying, that's how a lot of the threads for trading are like, he's just mocking them.[/quote]
This is so not written well.

OP: I thought it was pretty funny.

I hope a lot of these things get sorted out in CAG 2.0. I've spent most of my time trading at GameTZ because it is easier to buy/trade/sell there then it is here.

Getting a page where you can list the games you have for sale similar to the one at GameTZ would be really great.

[quote name='ZForce915']I hope a lot of these things get sorted out in CAG 2.0. I've spent most of my time trading at GameTZ because it is easier to buy/trade/sell there then it is here.

Getting a page where you can list the games you have for sale similar to the one at GameTZ would be really great.[/quote]
I agree, if CAG 2.0 has a feature that is similar to gametz.com, I'll probably never bother using gametz.com. The impossibility to use search here is a bit limitation.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']
One thing I have noticed is that there is too much feedback that says...

"A++++ Fast Trade"

...without saying what the heck was traded. That really bothers me, but maybe that is just my pet peeve though.

What about using the spoiler tags for those items? I'm not sure, but maybe those won't show on a search? It's worth a shot.[/quote]
Those types of feedback bother me too, and they are against the rules/guidelines for feedback actually.

And I guess I could use spoiler tags, and will if strike through is completely forbidden now.

Anyone else sick of seeing this? While I don't mind it for most lists, it gets pretty rediculous on a few.

*some background involving tragedy and financial difficulty here*

MY TRADE RULES
-If you look at this, you have to bump my thread
-If you PM me, you'd have to bump my thread before PM'ing and bump again after PM'ing
-Bump my thread since you're reading my thread and now you're automically required to follow my own thread rules I just made up arbitrarily.
-No lowball offers on my games- only retail price or above - refer to highest ebay ending prices.
-I only want to buy/trade for super deals aka overvalue my games + undervalue yours.

NO LABELED PRICES ON ANYTHING. ONLY MAKE ME OFFERS THAT I CANNOT REFUSE - AKA MY DS LITE 4 BUGATTI... (ok, maybe just a FERRARI) OR I MOST DEFINITELY WILL.
  • RED= SUPER HARD TO PART WITH. ONLY WILLING TO PART WITH IF GODLY OFFER AND CASH MUNNIES +3% PAYPAL + S/H.
  • Yellow = I WANT TO GET RID OF MY BARBIE AND WII HORSE GAMES. I WILL TRADE 2X FOR YOUR 59.99 GAME.
Final Fantasy VII - MAKE ME OFFER - SUPER HARD TO PART WITH - ONLY IF OFFER IS RIGHT!

and

MY Brand New Nintendo Wii with
5 (FIVE) CINCO GAMES!!! - *~Wii Sports~*
Nintendo Wii System (BRAND NEW!)
Wii controller (BRAND NEW!)
Wii mote (BRAND NEW!)
Nintedo WII BOX - MINT-PRISTINE-LIKE-NEW-AWESOME CONDITION!
Power cable and brick !!!
Cables cables stock cables
Nintendo Wii BRAND NEW stand
Nintendo Wii Instructions
Nintendo Wii plastic bag
Target Shopping Bag

All I'm asking is for a fair price:
$249.99 x 1.0825% (tax) + $25 (gas for driving down to target in my Hummer) + $50 (for my time getting the wii) + $30 s/h

and

MY SOLDZ/TRADED/PURCASED FROM STORE/GOOZEX'ED STUFF/PERSONAL COLLECTION AND NOT FOR SALE/ LISTS:
RICK AND ROLLED BITCH LAWL
RICK AND ROLLED AGAIN BITCH LOLOFMGROFLZ
EVERY GAME EVER.

I mean, if its not for sale, then take it off your list please. There's something called the search engine that some people use.

I like keeping track of my trades. Also, I keep games on my tradelist that I don't intend to sell/trade, otherwise I'd be getting offers for games I already have.

I'll probably start keeping a notepad file for completed trades older then 2 months though. I doubt anyone past 2 months would need a trade history.

Hmm, I barely even started my list and I already am doing it wrong. What about keeping old transactions in a spoiler tag? I guess that still shows up in search, but at least it's not as cluttered, right? Though I'm probably better off just deleting and forgetting, huh.

Time to go take the 'hard to part with' section out of my list.

There's nothing wrong with having a 'hard to part with' section if you have something like a 'want badly list'.

I'll remove my completed trades (although it is placed nicely and neatly in a spoiler tag) when I'm allowed to edit my past feedbacks so I can keep track there instead. Or CAG 2.0 gives a personal notes section for each user where I can put stuff there.

Wheres the "Constructive criticism" for other CAG's list ?... all i see is your demands.

Now i'm not thread crapping ... i'm just trying to figure out what you mean with your thread title.

-If you PM me, you'd have to bump my thread before PM'ing

Sounds fair but shouldn't be necessary only a courtesy

-No lowball offers on my games- only retail price or above

NOW this one is joke ... why would anyone offer retail or above.
If they are willing to do that they'll just get it from amazon.

-I only want to buy/trade for super deals

Good luck on that.

bread's done
Back