An open letter to CAG traders

This is so not written well, but I get what the OP is saying, that's how a lot of the threads for trading are like, he's just mocking them.

I used to get annoyed with cags listing there games they wouldn't trade/sell. Many list them so as to not get trade offers for games they have already. I don't remember who it was but some one has links to all of the individual trade your console specific game threads. It was pretty slick. I say create a thread where you post what you have not for trade and link to it on your trading thread. Then we could all use the search feature more effectively.

[quote name='mike.m']Amen to the OP.

Why, why WHY do some of you have MASSIVE lists and then you keep all the stuff you've traded or sold on that list or in the post? Again, thats why there's a feedback system. I've come to recognize certain tradelists now that I won't even bother to look at because its so messy.[/quote]

You mean like I think you bitched about mine? I put stuff in RED and YELLOW because PEOPLE DON'T READ YOUR PRICE INFO AND TRADING RULES OTHERWISE.

If people would just put themselves in the other person's shoes before PMing, I wouldn't feel the need to interject here and say that I'm not going to fuck myself over and LOSE money just to give someone a cheap deal. I'd rather rip every guide I have up and use the pages as toilet paper than do that. I've been offered $3 SHIPPED for one guide before, which is why I don't even answer PMs where someone offers me a price for something if it's a lowball. Same thing goes with games, where I'll try and do a deal for someone if I can find a game they want, just don't go overboard and go demanding that I ship at less than what I paid.

The Ebay priced people on here also irk me, but that's a topic for a whole other discussion.

As for the 'hard to part with' thing, I've been doing that with alot of my guides lately due to a run I had on RPG guides I had the one time on my TL. So now anything that one might consider hard to come across as far as guides go are marked TRADE ONLY on my list.

It definitely hasn't saved me from experiencing a lull in guide deals, since now that I marked many of them TRADE ONLY, few have probably seriously looked at my list. But, see above for what I'd rather do than just let everything go and be stuck with no real 'trade bait'.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Added Rule #9 to the CAG Trading Guidelines.[/quote]
:whistle2:s
Strike through are completely forbidden now? I always used them to mark an item as "Gone but not shipped" because who knows if the person I'm trading with is a deadbeat who'll never ship my game.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']Dear CAG,

Please update your trade lists. If you sell a game, please take it off your list. Don't put a big line through it, don't put a big SOLD with dollar signs and smiley faces next to it. Just take it off your list. The search function on the website is bad enough as it is, but looking through the results for things only to find that you sold your game 3 months ago does not help. But don't worry, people will still know that you sold the game, because there's this really cool feature on the website. When you trade something you get "feedback". Now, this "feedback" let's everyone know that you sold a game, and whether or not the person was happy with that transaction. So don't worry, not knowing that you sold your copy of GTA: Vice City Stories to JimboJones on 2/18 for $10 dollars isn't going to make anyone upset. Just thinking it as making the site run smoother, because it does, and then a winner is not just you, a winner is us.

Love,

Ramstoria
XOXOXO

PS. If there's a user named JimboJones, sorry the name just came into my head.

PSS. I didn't want to put this in the trade forum, so I put it here, a mod can move it if they see fit.[/quote]

You know, I never even thought about it affecting searching since searching had been screwed up for so long. Good point.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Also, please have the courtesy to send a quick PM to say if you are no longer interested in a deal. Polite and short would be good. And if someone sends a PM (before you sent the item) to say they changed their mind or got a better deal or found one on their own, don't throw a hissy fit. See, the latter causes the former, and neither makes trading go smoothly.[/quote]

Agreed with all of this.

[quote name='mike.m']Amen to the OP.

Why, why WHY do some of you have MASSIVE lists and then you keep all the stuff you've traded or sold on that list or in the post? Again, thats why there's a feedback system. I've come to recognize certain tradelists now that I won't even bother to look at because its so messy.[/quote]

One thing I have noticed is that there is too much feedback that says...

"A++++ Fast Trade"

...without saying what the heck was traded. That really bothers me, but maybe that is just my pet peeve though.

[quote name='mguiddy']:whistle2:s
Strike through are completely forbidden now? I always used them to mark an item as "Gone but not shipped" because who knows if the person I'm trading with is a deadbeat who'll never ship my game.[/quote]

What about using the spoiler tags for those items? I'm not sure, but maybe those won't show on a search? It's worth a shot.

[quote name='twen']This is so not written well, but I get what the OP is saying, that's how a lot of the threads for trading are like, he's just mocking them.[/quote]
This is so not written well.

OP: I thought it was pretty funny.

I hope a lot of these things get sorted out in CAG 2.0. I've spent most of my time trading at GameTZ because it is easier to buy/trade/sell there then it is here.

Getting a page where you can list the games you have for sale similar to the one at GameTZ would be really great.

[quote name='ZForce915']I hope a lot of these things get sorted out in CAG 2.0. I've spent most of my time trading at GameTZ because it is easier to buy/trade/sell there then it is here.

Getting a page where you can list the games you have for sale similar to the one at GameTZ would be really great.[/quote]
I agree, if CAG 2.0 has a feature that is similar to gametz.com, I'll probably never bother using gametz.com. The impossibility to use search here is a bit limitation.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']

"A++++ Fast Trade"

...without saying what the heck was traded. That really bothers me, but maybe that is just my pet peeve though.

What about using the spoiler tags for those items? I'm not sure, but maybe those won't show on a search? It's worth a shot.[/quote]
Those types of feedback bother me too, and they are against the rules/guidelines for feedback actually.

And I guess I could use spoiler tags, and will if strike through is completely forbidden now.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You mean like I think you bitched about mine? I put stuff in RED and YELLOW because PEOPLE DON'T READ YOUR PRICE INFO AND TRADING RULES OTHERWISE.

If people would just put themselves in the other person's shoes before PMing, I wouldn't feel the need to interject here and say that I'm not going to fuck myself over and LOSE money just to give someone a cheap deal. I'd rather rip every guide I have up and use the pages as toilet paper than do that. I've been offered $3 SHIPPED for one guide before, which is why I don't even answer PMs where someone offers me a price for something if it's a lowball. Same thing goes with games, where I'll try and do a deal for someone if I can find a game they want, just don't go overboard and go demanding that I ship at less than what I paid.

The Ebay priced people on here also irk me, but that's a topic for a whole other discussion.

As for the 'hard to part with' thing, I've been doing that with alot of my guides lately due to a run I had on RPG guides I had the one time on my TL. So now anything that one might consider hard to come across as far as guides go are marked TRADE ONLY on my list.

It definitely hasn't saved me from experiencing a lull in guide deals, since now that I marked many of them TRADE ONLY, few have probably seriously looked at my list. But, see above for what I'd rather do than just let everything go and be stuck with no real 'trade bait'.[/quote]

I've never bitched about anyones thread. I honestly have no idea what your trade experience has to do with why people keep massive lists WITH traded or sold items on that list or even worse, sprinkled throughout their list. I don't give a crap what color you use in your thread. Odds are if its red, I prolly won't even read it anyway because I have bad enough eyes.

People don't read anything but what they want to see. That's how it goes. You can put up a billboard and they won't read it. I know, I've been on ebay for years.

On a side note. This is less to do with rules and more to do with etiquette. The last two trades I've done, I've been told my games would be sent out X day. So I send my stuff out because we have comparable feedback. I follow up with the other person when my stuff arrives, only to find out they are just now sending or are still waiting to send.

If you people are afraid of getting ripped off and want someone to send first, then tell them up front. Sure, both cases may have been people got busy or forgot, but its not fair that you made a deal and someone shipped their stuff out and now they are wondering whats going on on your end. If you wouldn't want that to happen to you, why would you do it to someone else?

I think it is time we (by which I mean CAG) starts to lay some ground rules that need to be followed rather than guidelines.

Less than 10 feedback and trading to someone with more than 10? You send first. End of story. Stuff like that.

[quote name='sasukekun']I like keeping track of my trades. Also, I keep games on my tradelist that I don't intend to sell/trade, otherwise I'd be getting offers for games I already have.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Hostile']I'll remove my completed trades (although it is placed nicely and neatly in a spoiler tag) when I'm allowed to edit my past feedbacks so I can keep track there instead. Or CAG 2.0 gives a personal notes section for each user where I can put stuff there.[/QUOTE]

Although it's not quite the same as having completed trades listed in your tradelist itself , you could always just make a note of what was traded on your posted feedback under the additional comments section. I've been doing that lately so I too can remember what I've traded to who , especially in cases of people who leave me the "awesome deal" style feedback. It may only be visible to you , the other person and site staff but it's better than nothing. If you didn't list the trade in the additional comments when you first posted the feedback , you can still add it by clicking on the specific feedback and clicking new reply , and add it there.

[quote name='rmb']I used to get annoyed with cags listing there games they wouldn't trade/sell. Many list them so as to not get trade offers for games they have already. I don't remember who it was but some one has links to all of the individual trade your console specific game threads. It was pretty slick. I say create a thread where you post what you have not for trade and link to it on your trading thread. Then we could all use the search feature more effectively.[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna guess you might be talking about me?:)

I just thought of that earlier this week. Mainly since I've got lord knows how many games that I'm actively searching for , I figured instead of cluttering up my list with all my wants , just link to my posts in the system specific threads. It's also good if someone happens to be looking for something on a specific system. I know pookey uses this method as well for his strategy guides.

Although I thought of that idea myself , I'm always looking for constructive creatisism and suggestions on how to make my list more readable and easier to use.

[quote name='mguiddy']:whistle2:s
Strike through are completely forbidden now? I always used them to mark an item as "Gone but not shipped" because who knows if the person I'm trading with is a deadbeat who'll never ship my game.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. If you notice on the updated trading rules though , it says "pending" is still allowed. I've been using the stikethough still on stuff that's pending out and just list next to it pending out. I've just recently had not one but 2 deadbeat traders , so now I don't need to relist the items , just remove the pending out and strikethoughs.

I think the point of the no strikethough rule was to keep people from keeping everything that they've ever had for trade on there list and just strikethroughing everything that they no longer have , instead of simply removing them.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']One thing I have noticed is that there is too much feedback that says...

"A++++ Fast Trade"

...without saying what the heck was traded. That really bothers me, but maybe that is just my pet peeve though.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. How about "great trade" , thats a nice one too.

I always try to leave a brief note of what was traded and some notes of how the trade went. The only problem I have with this is that all your feedbacks start to look the same after a while. I suppose that's not a bad thing though if it gets the point across.

A pet peeve of mine is offer/acceptance

Don't send a pm to someone saying I will trade you A and B for C, only to pm them back saying you decided against when they pm you saying they accept the deal.

Or I send you a pm asking what you would want for A, and you send back saying I will trade A for B and C. Then when I say I will do the deal, I get a pm back saying that you don't want to do it now, but will do it if I include D as well.

I am talking about it in a limited time frame 24-48 hours. Too many people like to make offers and then take them back once they are accepted.

I might be the only one, but that's why its a pet peeve :D

[quote name='StarKnightX']Agreed. If you notice on the updated trading rules though , it says "pending" is still allowed. I've been using the stikethough still on stuff that's pending out and just list next to it pending out. I've just recently had not one but 2 deadbeat traders , so now I don't need to relist the items , just remove the pending out and strikethoughs.

I think the point of the no strikethough rule was to keep people from keeping everything that they've ever had for trade on there list and just strikethroughing everything that they no longer have , instead of simply removing them.
[/quote]
I could have sworn I read through the rule about strike through and didn't see the part about PENDING is okay...:dunce: Thats good to know... though I don't think I've updated my trade list after my last trade, but I haven't been bumping it either, as I haven't felt like/had the time to do trades recently.

I was kinda of annoy went I was searching if a person has a particular game using the search function of course. Mainly, I get false positives with what people "want" instead of what they "have". Basically I waste like 35 minutes search throught all those posts until I find it on the "have" list. Then I pm he/him, I get totally ignored most of the time. :bomb: I did get one reply though. I ended up buying the game on ebay (Bully:SE -> Xbox 360).

*Note: the search function should narrow down wants and haves. The whole search forums function runs too much like google for my tastes. We should steals some ideas from goozex. Library & Requests please.

Strikethrough is useful for me when sending items is pending. At least, it let's buyer/traders know I'm following through on my end. Once it's shipped out, I remove it from my list unless I forget to.

Once yeah, I use detailed feedback unless I sell so much stuff at once that I run out of space. Yeah, non-descriptive feedback isn't that useful to me.

[quote name='hero101']I was kinda of annoy went I was searching if a person has a particular game using the search function of course. Mainly, I get false positives with what people "want" instead of what they "have". Basically I waste like 35 minutes search throught all those posts until I find it on the "have" list. Then I pm he/him, I get totally ignored most of the time. :bomb: I did get one reply though. I ended up buying the game on ebay (Bully:SE -> Xbox 360).

*Note: the search function should narrow down wants and haves. The whole search forums function runs too much like google for my tastes. We should steals some ideas from goozex. Library & Requests please.[/QUOTE]

i think its more or less impossible for the search function to differentiate between haves and wants. but i dont mind wants (even though they screw with searching) because thats actually a useful bit of information, unlike what i mentioned in the OP which is useless.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']

"A++++ Fast Trade"

[/QUOTE]

I only put what was traded in the "private" area only for the participating parties to see. I don't think the whole world needs to know your trade history. I only really care about the feedback anyway, not what was traded in someone's past.

If someone wanted a particular item from me and I denied it to him and traded it with someone else, I could see it becoming problematic. There's always some a-hole who's going to hold a grudge against you.

[quote name='StarKnightX']
Agreed. How about "great trade" , thats a nice one too.

I always try to leave a brief note of what was traded and some notes of how the trade went. The only problem I have with this is that all your feedbacks start to look the same after a while. I suppose that's not a bad thing though if it gets the point across.[/quote]

For the past year and a half. each person I've traded with has received praise + a brief note with what was traded in the comment section. I figure it's a good way to keep track of what was traded for both myself and the other trader.

I'm spoiled by GameTZ's trade history, and more than once I've had to refer to my past trade comments left for others to determine if I had traded off a game on CAG before (I try to maintain my lists on three sites).

[quote name='bmulligan']I only put what was traded in the "private" area only for the participating parties to see. I don't think the whole world needs to know your trade history. I only really care about the feedback anyway, not what was traded in someone's past.

If someone wanted a particular item from me and I denied it to him and traded it with someone else, I could see it becoming problematic. There's always some a-hole who's going to hold a grudge against you.[/quote]

I think pooky said it best
Feedback should be specific. This is what another CAG will use to determine the trustworthiness of another. If someone is selling a high valued item, it would be important to know if the user has done so in the past.

If someone wants to be an ass because you traded something to someone else instead of them, that's their problem. And if they harass you via PMs, let a mod know about it.

[quote name='paddlefoot']A pet peeve of mine is offer/acceptance

Don't send a pm to someone saying I will trade you A and B for C, only to pm them back saying you decided against when they pm you saying they accept the deal.

Or I send you a pm asking what you would want for A, and you send back saying I will trade A for B and C. Then when I say I will do the deal, I get a pm back saying that you don't want to do it now, but will do it if I include D as well.

I am talking about it in a limited time frame 24-48 hours. Too many people like to make offers and then take them back once they are accepted.

I might be the only one, but that's why its a pet peeve :D[/quote]

Mine, too. Or when you offer someone A or B, and they say they will only trade for both (even though that would make the trade ridiculously lopsided in their favor).

Does backing out count as bad if you bought/found the item you wanted in the time you spent waiting for their reply (in the cases where the reply takes over a day to come back)?

[quote name='AkariK']Does backing out count as bad if you bought/found the item you wanted in the time you spent waiting for their reply (in the cases where the reply takes over a day to come back)?[/QUOTE]

Only if you and the other party have already agreed to a trade. There was a time something like this happened to me - they offered to give me a code to use at PlayAsia in response to using their affiliate link. I was out for the night and came back to find two PMs - the first was the code, the second was "Oh I sent it to someone else an hour later and they used it so you can't use it now."

That kind of shit is unbelievable, and really in bad taste. But if the other person simply hasn't responded and no agreement was made, then everything is fine.

As for this thread, I think it has noble intentions and such, but it's really kind of devolved into a generic bitchfest about all the sorts of things that can go wrong in a trade. Seems like this sort of discussion comes up every once and a while. And hell - I obviously jut added to it, so eh.

[quote name='mike.m']I've never bitched about anyones thread. I honestly have no idea what your trade experience has to do with why people keep massive lists WITH traded or sold items on that list or even worse, sprinkled throughout their list. I don't give a crap what color you use in your thread. Odds are if its red, I prolly won't even read it anyway because I have bad enough eyes.

If you people are afraid of getting ripped off and want someone to send first, then tell them up front. Sure, both cases may have been people got busy or forgot, but its not fair that you made a deal and someone shipped their stuff out and now they are wondering whats going on on your end. If you wouldn't want that to happen to you, why would you do it to someone else?[/quote]

I apologize, I went back through my old TL and it was a CAG named Old Rasputin who complained about it.

As for me, I just tell the other CAG that I'm dealing with that I'm waiting for their $$$ to come in(if it's a cash deal, that is) to complete the trade, since I'm short on money that week. Admittedly, it's a lie and it's just me being overly cautious and not wanting to use my OWN money to ship stuff out. It has cost me some deals, I think, but I guess that's what I get for not being totally upfront.

As for the feedback being generic thing(A++++, would trade with again is my usual feedback), I think it's more a case of some not wanting others knowing what you're trading/buying/selling back and forth.

I think I've only strayed from the generic feedback a couple of times in my time as a trader/seller on CAG and those instances were typically HUGE deals(like 25-30 guides or more for an Xbox a while back or when I sold my last gen collection of games to another CAG for a sizable sum after being told I'd be lucky to get HALF that).

Basically, what I'm saying is, I only switch it up when it's a huge deal I wanna 'brag' about a bit.

bread's done
Back