And the winner is...

headpiece747

CAGiversary!
Feedback
186 (100%)
...Phreak5k with Post #34
I used the random number generator and he will be recieving FFIV in the mail. Thanks to everyone voting and commenting. The voting winner is Upright and I will be ordering the parts in the next month or so. So stay tuned.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/member.php?u=32634Get your comment in by July 4th and I will pick a winner from a random number in the thread.
If you have already voted and not commented then do so to get your name in the drawing.

I want to build an Arcade but I am having a problem picking a Upright or Cocktail.

I need help here are pros and cons for each.
Cocktail Pros:
Small and Compact
Use as a table

Cocktail Cons:
Have to sit to play
Have to mount the monitor

Upright Pros:
Same as most Arcades
No mounting issues

Upright Cons:
Large
Have to stand to play

After I see a clear choice on the Arcade I will randomly select a name from posters and send them a game.
I have decided the games that the winner gets to pick from will be:

Final Fantasy IV GBA
(I know alot of CAGs want this one and I don't think I will get around to it.)

Meteos DS
(not really a puzzle type gamer)

NFSU2 DS
(not really a racing type gamer either)

The Incredibles DS
(not really sure if this game is my cup of tea).

So remember to comment in the thread, maybe on what you voted or other ideas.

Thanks,
headpiece747

I see cocktail-style more for old-school simple arcade titles, a la Pac Man, or Tetris. For complex games, fighting games I'd go with arcade.

I love the novelty factor with cocktail. Nothing beats going to the pizza place, gettin some lunch and playin pacman for quarters.

I'll say cocktail, but you need to get some sort of cover for the table and then after guests sit down around the table (thinking it's just a standard coffee table) you unveil it to ooohs and aaahs.

Not sure if everyone saw or remembers but there was a Disc of Tron or something like that. A game based on the frisbee portion of the Tron world lol. Anyhoo, there was one that was "upright" but was enclosed and had a seat to it. Much like the old school Star Wars you could sit down in but it was upright. You could lean back and sit with your feet still touching the floor.

go sitdown upright, like the japanese mini cabs! all the pluses of an upright , but it's smaller and you can sit down!

Man if your going to go for it maybe make a combination. Like an upright with lig room inderneath it. where the button/joystick portion extends out a little farther. That way you could sit down.

Personally I think it comes down to your storage. If you are going to take the time and effort to build it make sure you can keep it around. Out of all the pros cons you mentioned I think the upright would win if I had the time currently to build one.

Where do I begin? It definitely depends on the room where you are going to put it as well as the games you will primarily be playing. Also, think about building more than one cabinet in the future to accomodate your specific gaming tastes. "Frankenpanels" just don't work, IMO, and you are going to want to be able to play with a trackball (Centipede) or a spinner (Arkanoid) and other control types. I find it very rewarding to build these things - almost as much as playing the games themselves.

The way I see it there are 4 basic choices:
  1. Upright horizontal: This would be used primarily to play more modern games in their original 4:3 orientation. Games like Street Fighter, Contra, Double Dragon, Bubble Bobble, Tapper, Golden Tee, etc. I do not like the look of a 3:4 game (like Ms. Pac-man) played on a 4:3 screen AT ALL so if I were building a 4:3 cab I'd have to have another one to play the classics.
  2. Upright Vertical: This would be used primarily to play classic games in their original 3:4 orientation. Games like Ms. Pac-man, Mr. Do!, Donkey Kong, 1942, Frogger, Don Pachi, etc.
  3. Cocktail (regular): This would act just like the upright vertical but would support screen flipping for 2 player gaming.
  4. Cocktail with 3rd control panel: This can be used to play both vertical and horizontal games in the correct orientation but the look of the extra control panel definitely takes getting used to.
There are other options but I think these are the best choices for a first cabinet. I am building a cocktail cab with the 3rd control panel right now (http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63521). It is coming out really nice (better than I expected) but if I had to do it all over again I'd probably leave out the third CP and just build a horizontal cab next. The benefit of a cocktail table, IMO, is that it can be placed against a wall in the TV room and not look that out of place whereas a huge upright would be the entire focus of the room. Also, the way I built mine using smoked glass, you can't see the monitor unless it is on and it makes a great place to put your beer.

TAKE TONS OF PICTURES AS YOU BUILD. And post them here :D

I vote for a regular cocktail for the classics.

This is what I was referring to-
sDiscs_Of_Tron.jpg

Upright generally seems more impressive and will likely get a lot more use, whereas the cocktail unit would probably get old fairly quickly. Even with older games like Galaga/Ms. Pac-Man, an upright unit will look cooler, be more space efficient, and be more reminiscent of the true arcade experience.

I have both, and the only benefit to a cocktail is that it *might* be easier to convince your spouse or significant other that it can be used just like a table and have an easier approval process for getting another game in the house. Other than that, you will regret the cocktail table. They take up too much space because you have to leave space to walk around them and sit at both sides. The controls on a cocktail are cramped, and often at a different/bad angle compared to the upright so the game sessions are not as enjoyable--even though you are sitting down. It also won't feel as cool as a "real" upright arcade game. The Japanese sit-down uprights are cool, if a bit pricey. The upright will give you more of a true arcade feel. As someone else pointed out, you can always use a stool at the upright so you don't have to stand, but really that is not much of an issue because most arcade games are meant to be played in short bursts. You won't be playing the upright for long periods of time like a console game.

Dane.

[quote name='headpiece747']
Cocktail Cons:
Have to sit to play

Upright Cons:
Have to stand to play
[/QUOTE]

:lol: You can build a ceiling mount arcade facing down where you can lie on your bed and play. :D

I'd say upright; you can get a tall stool and still be able to sit and play.

Upright... more of a gaming feel to it, I think. The one I'm building has been on hold since December because A) I'm too lazy to finish it and B) It's too nice outside now :cool:

Definitetly upright. One of your pros for the cocktail is you could use it as a table, but would you really want to risk marking it up? And if you don't feel like standing at an upright you could just buy some 'tall' stools.

Upright if you have the room. Playing Mortal Kombat on a cocktail would just be weird. Or insert one of a zillion other games in place of Mortal Kombat.

Cocktail would be kind of cool, but I'd only do it as a second one after I go through building an upright.

It all comes down to what you want to play. If you're nostalgic for the earlier generations and don't care about the newer stuff then go with the cocktail cabinet. However if you want some that is universal among almost every arcade game, get the upright. Remember that with the cocktail you also wouldn't be able to do effective multiplayer, but say you were to build a 4 player upright for games of X-Men, Simpsons, etc. then that would be extremely impressive. I would go with the upright and just get a bar stool or high chair.

Upright without a question. It looks like the real thing which is really the only reason you would make a cabinet in the first place.

[quote name='dtarasev']Upright without a question. It looks like the real thing which is really the only reason you would make a cabinet in the first place.[/quote]

Why doesn't a cocktail "look like the real thing"?? Some of my best memories as a kid is pumping quarters into the Ms. Pac-man cocktail table at the local pizzaria with a coke and a slice sitting right on top...

I have decided the games
that the winner gets to pick from will be:

Final Fantasy IV GBA
(I know alot of CAGs want this one and I don't think I will get around to it.)

Meteos DS
(not really a puzzle type gamer)

NFSU2 DS
(not really a racing type gamer either)

The Incredibles DS
(not really sure if this game is my cup of tea)

Now remember you can only chose one. I felt after looking at the games I got at CC I was buying them because they were cheap and instead of returning them I thought I could give them to CAGs that have helped me get these great deals in the first place.

Alright thanks for suggestions so far and it looks like Upright is in the lead so far. As far as games go I like them all from classics to newer so that is not a factor.

If you have the space, go for the upright. The upright is essential for any fighting/beat 'em ups. Plus this will wow more people, even non-gamers.

The cocktail is more for old classic/puzzle games. Althought I always wanted to play a game Like 1942 on a cocktail.

bread's done
Back