Android Deals Thread V2

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
The old thread hadn't been updated in quite some time, so I decided to make a new one. If you happen to see a sale not listed in the OP, go ahead and post it and I will be sure it's added. The same goes for anything listed that has expired as most sales have no set time frame, let me know and I will remove expired sales. Thanks!

Google Play
Ongoing Android Game Sales & Specials
King's League: Odyssey - $2.99 $0.99
Waking Mars - $2.99 $1.99
Worms 3 - $4.99 $0.99
Worms 2: Armageddon - $4.99 $0.99 
Infinite Universe - $5.99 $0.99
Alien Breed - $4.99 $0.99

Miscellaneous Android App Sales & Specials
Nothing of note right now...

Amazon Android Appstore
Free-App-Of-The-Day: 10/9
Alphabet Aquarium Vol 1 - Normal price: $1.99

Sales and Specials
Nothing right now...

Other Sales and Promotions
Nothing right now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Been thinking about buying that 500 gb Shield Tablet for the $299 price on Amazon since it comes with $80 in Google Play credit. What do you think of the Shield Tablet and do you have the Shield controller?
This does not come with $80 in Play credit. It comes with $30, plus 3 months of Google Play Music, and a Google Play version of Borderlands Presequel.

I have one and its awesome for games! I use it for android games, PC games (Via nvidia game stream and I can play most of my steam collection), and emulating older systems (nes, snes, genesis, dream cast, PS1 and some game cube games). Plus its 4k ready for netflix, Amazon and you tube. Overall I love this box.
That thing is pretty boss. I do most of those things on my Shield Portable although I'm nearly out of space. I have both Grand Theft Auto III and San Andreas and Pinball Arcade and they take up a lot of space. I haven't found a website that explains how to write Android apps directly to an SD card that's simple enough for me to understand how to do it (I'm not really a techie, per se), but if I did, I wouldn't even be considering buying one of those things.

This does not come with $80 in Play credit. It comes with $30, plus 3 months of Google Play Music, and a Google Play version of Borderlands Presequel,
Thanks for the clarification. I think the email I got from Amazon said something about $80 in content, so I assumed it was Play credit without reading the fine print. That $30 would last a long time since I mainly only buy apps when they hit 99 cents, the Google Play Music I don't really give a damn about since I use YouTube and Vevo to listen to anything I want to hear and I'm not sure if Borderlands is worth it or not.

The full Humble NEOGEO Mobile Bundle is now available:

• GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES
  • BLAZING STAR
  • THE KING OF FIGHTERS '97
  • METAL SLUG 2
  • METAL SLUG X
Beat the Average for the above and:

• FATAL FURY SPECIAL
  • SAMURAI SHODOWN II
  • METAL SLUG 3
  • METAL SLUG
  • THE KING OF FIGHTERS '98
  • BEAST BUSTERS featuring KOF DX

So yay or nay for $4.57? :whistle2:k
I'd say only if you want every game. I think all of those games are $.99 right now on Google Play so if it's just two or three of them you really want, just get them on GP because if there are any updates, you'll get them quicker.

I'd say only if you want every game. I think all of those games are $.99 right now on Google Play so if it's just two or three of them you really want, just get them on GP because if there are any updates, you'll get them quicker.
Thanks for the reply, yeah you've got a point, it might be harder through HB app but I don't know how much these games can be updated though. Guess I'll give it a thought, thanks again!

Speaking of Shield talk - has nVidia announced pricing for Grid streaming? Last I heard the free beta was supposed to end in August.

Speaking of Shield talk - has nVidia announced pricing for Grid streaming? Last I heard the free beta was supposed to end in August.
Nope. And last week they didn't even add a game after weeks of adding mostly crap. I am not hopeful about the service TBH.

If it was like $5 a month and let us buy real games from their store with Steam like sales, maybe I'd think about it. But the subscription library itself needs some big time work if they look at $12-15 a month.

g5e.jpg

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.g5e.sm2.giveaway.full
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M48UCMW/
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/app/672d497f-440e-40e7-aa93-a74004d777e7
https://itunes.apple.com/app/id603133767?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/app/id603131796?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/app/id858558627?mt=12&at=11lbfd

New Humble Mobile Bundle - Games Workshop:

• Warhammer Quest
  • Warhammer 40,000: Carnage
  • WH40K: Storm of Vengeance
  • Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf
  • The Horus Heresy: Drop Assault Warmaster's Edition
  • Warhammer: The App

• Talisman Prologue
  • Chainsaw Warrior: LotN
  • Warhammer: Snotling Fling
  • More to be revealed next week!

<p>

New Humble Mobile Bundle - Games Workshop:

• Warhammer Quest
  • Warhammer 40,000: Carnage
  • WH40K: Storm of Vengeance
  • Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf
  • The Horus Heresy: Drop Assault Warmaster's Edition
  • Warhammer: The App
  • Talisman Prologue
  • Chainsaw Warrior: LotN
  • Warhammer: Snotling Fling
  • More to be revealed next week!
That's pretty good bundle. I wonder if the Space Hulk version has been upgraded to "premium" or if it's filled with IAPs like the Play store version.

Looks like you get keys to redeem for something in the in-game store for Space Wolf and Drop Assault. Not sure what it gives you yet.

Deathwatch and Arcane Magic just recently came out on iOS. I wonder if those could be the add on games. I have Deathwatch and it's awesome. Want Arcane Magic but don't want to spend $9.99 on it. I could see Stormwatch possibly being added but doubt Arcane Magic.

If both were coming, the BTA would be a no brainer. As it stands now, the BTA games aren't that appealing to me.

Edit: So the code for Space Wolf seems to just give you six additional cards. Nice but wouldn't say it's doing that much to make it more "premium". Not sure what the Drop Assault code gives you (not really into Clash of Clan type games, which this apparently is a kind of reskin.) Tt

Still, worth it for Warhammer: Quest (usually $4.99), Warhammer:: Carnage ($6.99) and Storm of Vengeance ($3.99).

But I do miss the days when all HB games were premium versions if they were F2P.

Final Fantasy Tactics is on sale for $9.70 which is 31% off its regular price of 13.99. Still frigging ridiculous but I may bite anyway. fuck Square.

Yes, I get it's a full console game. Well guess what so are SW Kotor and all the Infinity Engine games are full pc ports and all four of those games start at $9.99. And each and every single one of those games are newer. Unless you count the fact that it's the Psp War of the Lions remake in which case all of the freaking IE games are Enhanced Editions. Seriously fuck you and your archaic pricing Squeenix.

That said the sale lasts till the 18th so there is plenty of time to think about it and damn it would be nice to have a classic SRPG. Plus I have never played it.

Final Fantasy Tactics is on sale for $9.70 which is 31% off its regular price of 13.99. Still frigging ridiculous but I may bite anyway. fuck Square.

Yes, I get it's a full console game. Well guess what so are SW Kotor and all the Infinity Engine games are full pc ports and all four of those games start at $9.99. And each and every single one of those games are newer. Unless you count the fact that it's the Psp War of the Lions remake in which case all of the freaking IE games are Enhanced Editions. Seriously fuck you and your archaic pricing Squeenix.

That said the sale lasts till the 18th so there is plenty of time to think about it and damn it would be nice to have a classic SRPG. Plus I have never played it.
It's not hard to see why when you consider the different markets. In Japan, mobile gaming is easily more popular than console or PC gaming, so they can ask for a fair price - and it's pretty fair when you consider it used to be $49.99 when it first came out and plenty of people were willing to pay that. In the US, mobile games are just an additional revenue stream for game publishers and consumers don't want to pay more than a couple of bucks for software.

Blah, blah, blah. It's original release price has absolutely no bearing. That's about the same release price as every other game I pointed out and they are all just as long of games if not longer in some cases. I get the mobile market is bigger in Japan. Great, price it higher there. The game should start at no more than 9.99 here. On sale it should be 6.99 or less.

That makes no sense. That's like saying a Beatles or Rolling Stones album should be 50 cents because their music is 40 years old.

Do you think it makes fiscal sense for any company to charge a certain price point for a product in one country and half price in another? Every company would want to charge as fair a price as possible. You're welcome to buy other games you feel charge a fairer price while other people are happy just not having to pay inflated console game prices.

That makes no sense. That's like saying a Beatles or Rolling Stones album should be 50 cents because their music is 40 years old.

Do you think it makes fiscal sense for any company to charge a certain price point for a product in one country and half price in another? Every company would want to charge as fair a price as possible. You're welcome to buy other games you feel charge a fairer price while other people are happy just not having to pay inflated console game prices.
Actually it makes perfect sense. As games get older, the price drops. Fact of life. Additionally, games have different prices in different regions, particularly digital games.

Actually it makes perfect sense. As games get older, the price drops. Fact of life. It's 9.99 right now on the Playstation store. Additionally, games have different prices in different regions, particularly digital games. Why? Cause people won't pay the same price in every region. It's called knowing thy market.

Already filled the form out for my replacement since I got one with the bad battery. Waiting on it to come, wish they had an upgrade feature/deal since I stupidly bought the 16GB version instead of the 32GB.
Yeah I have learned always get the maximum memory, even if it takes a memory card. Particularly with a tablet.

Do you think it makes fiscal sense for any company to charge a certain price point for a product in one country and half price in another?
Final Fantasy games typically cost ~$90 in Japan if you convert from the yen. Yen's taking a beating a lot lately, but back in 2008, it could be over $100 for a FF game, and that was typical game price. Whether it makes fiscal sense or not, it's what's historically been done. Games cost a lot more in Japan, if you buy them new.

It's a game from the SNES days, why would it be larger?

Total: 75.72MB

App: 71.51MB

Data: 4.21MB
Because the size amounts on play store pages are frequently wrong. Tomb Raider was over 100mb larger than its listed size. And as another poster above lamented with their shield tablet, of which I also own, every little bit of space matters.

Because the size amounts on play store pages are frequently wrong. Tomb Raider was over 100mb larger than its listed size. And as another poster above lamented with their shield tablet, of which I also own, every little bit of space matters.
Well, those are the actual values from my phone.

Final Fantasy games typically cost ~$90 in Japan if you convert from the yen. Yen's taking a beating a lot lately, but back in 2008, it could be over $100 for a FF game, and that was typical game price. Whether it makes fiscal sense or not, it's what's historically been done. Games cost a lot more in Japan, if you buy them new.
Shoulda bought a SNES game back in the early to mid nineties when video game companies didn't set retail pricing. FF3 was regularly $80+ (it's what we paid for it at target)

Shoulda bought a SNES game back in the early to mid nineties when video game companies didn't set retail pricing. FF3 was regularly $80+ (it's what we paid for it at target)
Oh, I can remember N64 game pricing. Think Turok was $75 from KBToys. Bought some SNES games myself, at the time, but don't recall the prices as much as the N64 ones. Have seen the old flyers, though. Yeah, the $50 (and now $60) standardized pricing has been a real boon for getting games "cheaper."

Lots more Final Fantasy stuff on sale at 7.99 (50% off). Dragon Warrior 8 at 12.99 (35% off). See earlier comments regarding pricing though I will say given that Tactics released on Android in June I can understand why it didn't hit 50% off.

I do not understand what algorithm they used to determine 31% was the correct discount. Even $8.99 would have been more palatable than $9.70 if only for the magic rounding cutoff. Yes, I am aware I am beating a dead horse, deal with it.

Dragon Warrior 7 at 12.99 (35% off).
Didn't think they had DQVII on Google Play, and they don't. That's DQVIII. Still a good price but no DQVII, yet. Hopefully the DQVII and DQVIII 3DS remakes come out in the U.S. on 3DS, at least. They could then use that script for a Google Play DQVII, too.

Sorry you are right. Made a typo. That's what I get for posting from my phone and not reviewing the numbers like I did the text.

Tempted on FFT, since I have fake Google money, but not a fan of the pricing. If it was $7 or under, it would be a no-brainer.
Hell, I would buy in a heartbeat if it was at $8 like the other Final Fantasies. I have just over $6 in survey credit and a $10 card lying around but at essentially $10 I just can't justify it. Even if it is full touch screen, a genre I have been aching for a great game to come along, and an absolute classic that I actually have never played due to never owning a Sony system. But $10 on sale? Get the fuck out.

Didn't think they had DQVII on Google Play, and they don't. That's DQVIII. Still a good price but no DQVII, yet. Hopefully the DQVII and DQVIII 3DS remakes come out in the U.S. on 3DS, at least. They could then use that script for a Google Play DQVII, too.
The only reasons I haven't bought the Android port of DQVIII is that the game is only in portrait mode and not in widescreen and it doesn't offer controller support. It would have been a great showcase for the Nvidia Shield family of devices IMO if Square had changed those two things.

The only reasons I haven't bought the Android port of DQVIII is that the game is only in portrait mode and not in widescreen and it doesn't offer controller support. It would have been a great showcase for the Nvidia Shield family of devices IMO if Square had changed those two things.
Agreed^

There are tons of great built in controller devices like Shield on the market, and the Android experience is still very fragmented in regards to controller support, and portrait VS. widescreen. Why things like this aren't standard options in EVERY Android game is beyond me, and shows just how much some publishers are just in this for the quick buck.

I would have bought DQVIII and many other similar games ages ago, if they had proper options and support. Do these guys just assume everyone is using touch screen, and a tablet? Android is so much more than that now. How much time and effort could it take to implement these choices, versus the amount of business lost for not bothering?

Is every company about doing less, and trying to get more? No wonder the world economy is in the toilet, no one has any integrity left in business.

Aren't most tablets wide screen if you turn them to the side anyway?

Hmm $6.23 in survey credit. It's getting harder and harder to not break down and get Tactics. If I get up to $7 by the 18th I will probably break down. Definitely would have caved at a $7.99 price point by now.

Yes, but games like this don't allow for the rotation. Some games only allow for portrait, so when you turn it "widescreen", the image doesn't turn. There are some apps that allow you to force it, but those aren't perfect and can have issues as well.

Hmm $6.23 in survey credit. It's getting harder and harder to not break down and get Tactics. If I get up to $7 by the 18th I will probably break down. Definitely would have caved at a $7.99 price point by now.
I think you have to have the total price in credit, or they won't let you use it. I've never been able to pay partially with credit and partially with another method.

Yes, but games like this don't allow for the rotation. Some games only allow for portrait, so when you turn it "widescreen", the image doesn't turn. There are some apps that allow you to force it, but those aren't perfect and can have issues as well.
And therefore it won't play properly on Shield. Same with the Raiden Fighters shmup which I can only play in the proper aspect ratio on Ouya interestingly enough. Is it that difficult for them to program in auto-rotate? Hardcore gamers are the ones who know what Dragon Quest is, not the Angry Birds set. We're the ones to which they should listen.

And therefore it won't play properly on Shield. Same with the Raiden Fighters shmup which I can only play in the proper aspect ratio on Ouya interestingly enough. Is it that difficult for them to program in auto-rotate? Hardcore gamers are the ones who know what Dragon Quest is, not the Angry Birds set. We're the ones to which they should listen.
There in lies the problem. These companies are trying to make a fast buck on the "casual" market, but there is no way those guys are paying 10-20 for these high end games, so why they can't seem fit to make adjustments for the market who might actually want and pay the higher premium is beyond my understanding.

This is the perfect example of gaming publishers not knowing their intended market. How much effort and time is there in making proper controls with proper resolution and rotation options? At the end of the day, I just don't think they care. If it's $5 and one hour worth of work, that's probably to much effort, and it's apparent they can't see the value in doing as much.

I love my Shield Portable, and I thought if anyone could move Android in the right direction, it would be Nvidia. They have the pull and the resources, but I don't believe anyone seems to care all that much. I do believe strides have been made, but half the games I have, don't even have physical control options, or anything else that would make playing games on the Shield a true benefit.

There in lies the problem. These companies are trying to make a fast buck on the "casual" market, but there is no way those guys are paying 10-20 for these high end games, so why they can't seem fit to make adjustments for the market who might actually want and pay the higher premium is beyond my understanding.

This is the perfect example of gaming publishers not knowing their intended market. How much effort and time is there in making proper controls with proper resolution and rotation options? At the end of the day, I just don't think they care. If it's $5 and one hour worth of work, that's probably to much effort, and it's apparent they can't see the value in doing as much.

I love my Shield Portable, and I thought if anyone could move Android in the right direction, it would be Nvidia. They have the pull and the resources, but I don't believe anyone seems to care all that much. I do believe strides have been made, but half the games I have, don't even have physical control options, or anything else that would make playing games on the Shield a true benefit.
Unfortunately Nvidia hasn't had the level of success that it wanted with their high end Android devices although they have released some of the most kick-ass Android devices of all time.

Unfortunately Nvidia hasn't had the level of success that it wanted with their high end Android devices although they have released some of the most kick-ass Android devices of all time.
I'm not really sure what they actually wanted from the Shield line. It's mostly appeared to be an advertisement for their latest mobile chipsets, but their "end game" has never really been laid out. The GRID service is cool, and they have been talking about charging for the service since it launched, and we are several months past where they said they planned to charge, and still nothing.

I enjoy the service, but depending on the cost, along side SONY & MS monthly services, it may not be worth it to the masses. I'm curious to see where and what they will do in the future, but I'm not really sure they even have a real plan. They just seem to be building items because they can, but not really asking if they should.

Hell, they just had a full recall on the tablet, which can not be cheap. And the original portable had tons of returns for d-pad issues, so I can't even say these guys have made a dime through this whole process, but I wish them well, as I would love a new version of the portable to come out at some point. I'm also thinking about getting the TV for streaming uses. It seems like the best set top box around.

bread's done
Back