Animal Crossing Review Scores

Blind the Thief

CAGiversary!
Glancing at Gamerankings, Gamepro gave Wild World a 3.5 out of 5 (70%, eh I don;t like Gamepro) and Nintendo Powr gave it a 9.5 out of 10 (surprise, surprise).

The reviews that I usually trust, however, come from EGM...but they've given it a 7.83 out of 10. Anyone have the actual magazine and know what they said? I had higher hopes than this (though I'm still getting the game).

Just read the Gamepro review. Here's the ending line:

"Animal Crossing: Wild World is a quaint game - almost too quaint. For the gamer who likes to live double or triple lives, or for an original Animal Crossing fan, this is a game to pick up. However, for the gamer that demands fast-paced action, an interesting story line, and an imperative need for an ending, this may not be the best game to play."

So basically, the reviewer didn't like it because it's Animal Crossing.

[quote name='evilmax17']Just read the Gamepro review. Here's the ending line:

"Animal Crossing: Wild World is a quaint game - almost too quaint. For the gamer who likes to live double or triple lives, or for an original Animal Crossing fan, this is a game to pick up. However, for the gamer that demands fast-paced action, an interesting story line, and an imperative need for an ending, this may not be the best game to play."

So basically, the reviewer didn't like it because it's Animal Crossing.[/QUOTE]

Seems so. I, for one, loved Animal Crossing. It's nice to have a game that isn't difficult at all. You can't get 'stuck', and there's endless decorating possibilities. By reading that last line, I would guess that it's a great game for those of us who enojuy Animal Crossing. Obviously, if you aren't an AC fan, you won't like it.

I haven't gotten my new Gamepro yet. :cry:

Got Gameinformer reveiw: 8.75 w/ a second opinion 8.25

"What's great about this offering is that the few aggravating control issues in the GC title are largely taken care of in Wild World. The stylus makes selling items (now in bulk!), designing clothes, and writing letters a snap. In fact, the entire game can be played with the stylus alone, and a full control scheme allows the same fuctionality with just the face buttons."

"Animal Crossing can be broing in fact, if your'e a particular breed of twitch gamer, it's going to be really boring. For everybody else, you'd be hard pressed to beat the charm, humor, and style of these cutesy characters lving out their petty but surprsing genuine-feeling lives."

Sorry for any spelling mistakes. :)

I never got to play the GCN version, but have been meaning to get it... and there's no reason to get the GCN version if this one is coming out shortly.

EGM basically said theres just really not that much new about the game, not a whole lot was added. The online part wasnt all that exciting either and they had some problems getting connected.

Definitely wont stop me from buying it on the 5th, this game will once again comsume me im sure.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']So, um...did this come out early anywhere yet? I'm tired of waiting.[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain. Had the same issue with Mario Kart's launch. I've not seen it out anywhere.

[quote name='asianxcore']I want this. I haven't played too much of Animal Crossing on GC, but I have a feeling this game is going to be a lot of fun.[/QUOTE]
I really hope the Wi-Fi isn't disappointing in this game, as thats really the only reason I would get it. I bought but have yet to play AC on the GC, so if this will just be a portable version of the same game, no real reasonf or me to get it. If, on the other hand, we can interact with each other's villages through Wi-Fi, now that would make me buy it.

i think it'll be fun because of the CAG community, and I like the idea of a game with no real objective - it seems like this game is endless as long as there are people to interact with.

[quote name='daroga']Maybe this game won't make me feel guilty for not playing like Nintendogs does ;)[/QUOTE]

Miss your first holiday, Redd sale, special visitor (the rare carpet guy, clothing giraffe, etc) or selling your beets back on the stalk market once... just once... and you come back and tell us here that it doesn't make you feel guilty for not playing. You WILL play. It is inevitable.

[quote name='WildWop']Miss your first holiday, Redd sale, special visitor (the rare carpet guy, clothing giraffe, etc) or selling your beets back on the stalk market once... just once... and you come back and tell us here that it doesn't make you feel guilty for not playing. You WILL play. It is inevitable.[/QUOTE]

hehe, thanks. :)

[quote name='daroga']Maybe this game won't make me feel guilty for not playing like Nintendogs does ;)[/QUOTE]

Unless you go back to your town and there are a ton of weeds to pull ;)

[quote name='iheartmetal']i believe it comes out tomorrow. sadly, i dont have the money for it right now.[/QUOTE]

comes out next week, chief. Ships out Monday, in stores on Tuesday. Games rarely, if ever, come out on a Friday.

[quote name='levi333']EGM basically said theres just really not that much new about the game, not a whole lot was added. The online part wasnt all that exciting either and they had some problems getting connected.[/QUOTE]

That's what I have seen so far from the details. To me it seems like it is just the same thing as the GC version with a few new things and no NES games. Plus I hate how the DS version online seems to be planned out. There should be a common place where all AC fans in a certain area can go.

[quote name='David85']That's what I have seen so far from the details. To me it seems like it is just the same thing as the GC version with a few new things and no NES games. Plus I hate how the DS version online seems to be planned out. There should be a common place where all AC fans in a certain area can go.[/QUOTE]

Dude, it's not an MMO. Anyway, there is a place that all AC fans can meet, it's called my town. I work from home so I plan on leaving my DS logged into WFC all day long. Come any time you want!

[quote name='WildWop']Miss your first holiday, Redd sale, special visitor (the rare carpet guy, clothing giraffe, etc) or selling your beets back on the stalk market once... just once... and you come back and tell us here that it doesn't make you feel guilty for not playing. You WILL play. It is inevitable.[/QUOTE]

am i the only one that would set the clock back on the game so i could see the holidays?

[quote name='Storamin']am i the only one that would set the clock back on the game so i could see the holidays?[/QUOTE]
::gasp:: Blasphemy! ;)

[quote name='Blind the Thief']And how did you do that?[/QUOTE]

I believe her fiance works for Nintendo. Is that right?

In all honesty, I set the clock back for most special events in the GC version. Probably won't do that this time around though. I want to play it when it happens. =D

[quote name='daroga']I believe her fiance works for Nintendo. Is that right?[/QUOTE]

"Got it in one Mr. Garibaldi!"

[quote name='sixersballernum3']In all honesty, I set the clock back for most special events in the GC version. Probably won't do that this time around though. I want to play it when it happens. =D[/QUOTE]
And with the portability, looks like we have no excuses! :D

I also have it; I'm reviewing it for Yahoo. I loved me some GC Animal Crossing. It's true this one doesn't have a whole lot new, but I'm digging it so far. Haven't visited other towns, but looking forward to it and have another journalist's friend code to take a little trip. Won't go into too much detail on the game, as I've only played a few hours and I'm saving opinions for the review, but if you liked the original, you'll be all about a portable, online version.

I haven't played the GC Animal Crossing, and I was wondering if it was a game for people like me who like to collect stuff in games? Especially in RPGs, I like to collect all the rare items and such.

[quote name='Sk8erlink7']I haven't played the GC Animal Crossing, and I was wondering if it was a game for people like me who like to collect stuff in games? Especially in RPGs, I like to collect all the rare items and such.[/QUOTE]

You'll love it! So many things to collect, and you can wear a shirt you designed while finding/collecting it all!

Just a quick question about the online stuff in the game (for those who've played it or just know). I know you both have to be online to visit each other's towns. Can you send people letters when they're offline to retrive when they play?

How do you get a job reviewing games at Yahoo!?

I would like a job like that. Do I have to work for Yahoo! first

[quote name='daroga']Just a quick question about the online stuff in the game (for those who've played it or just know). I know you both have to be online to visit each other's towns. Can you send people letters when they're offline to retrive when they play?[/QUOTE]

No, otherwise how would the information get sent? =/

And ViolentLee if you want to exchange friend codes and experience more than just another person in your town, let me know! I'd be willing to contribute. :)

[quote name='daroga']Just a quick question about the online stuff in the game (for those who've played it or just know). I know you both have to be online to visit each other's towns. Can you send people letters when they're offline to retrive when they play?[/QUOTE]

I could've sworn I heard something about sending letters in bottles, but maybe I'm dreaming. :whistle2:k

[quote name='Quigoni']No, otherwise how would the information get sent? =/

And ViolentLee if you want to exchange friend codes and experience more than just another person in your town, let me know! I'd be willing to contribute. :)[/QUOTE]

In an IGN video there was a option to download letters. What is that for?

Did the option specifically say "Download letters" or just "Download?"

Also can you describe where they were at in the video.

The closest I'm seeing is the message in a bottle but that only effects things in DS to DS mode.

I just bought each of my kids (2) a DS for Christmas, I plan on getting them each a copy of Animal Crossing, but I am tempted in getting Mario Kart DS (cause I want to play it).

[quote name='Scorch']comes out next week, chief. Ships out Monday, in stores on Tuesday. Games rarely, if ever, come out on a Friday.[/QUOTE]

i know i know, but for whatever reason i could have sworn the release date was the 2nd

[quote name='Dante Devil']I just bought each of my kids (2) a DS for Christmas, I plan on getting them each a copy of Animal Crossing, but I am tempted in getting Mario Kart DS (cause I want to play it).[/QUOTE]

In all honesty, Mario Kart is the best game I've played this year. I think your kids will have a blast with it and you'll love to play it too ;)

[quote name='Quigoni']Did the option specifically say "Download letters" or just "Download?"

Also can you describe where they were at in the video.

The closest I'm seeing is the message in a bottle but that only effects things in DS to DS mode.[/QUOTE]

In the house, at the phone, there's a download option, in there is something called "letters" and "bulletinboard messages" In the video they don't go any father than that, but just wondered what it was there for. :)

OK yeah I looked that up in the strat guide and it's actually so you can (if they decide to send them out) receive messages from the WFC server on your board. That's at least how the book explains it.

Those of you who have the game, or those who know a lot of the details: Is it possible for more than one person to play using one copy of the game? My wife is fairly indifferent towards video games, but she took to the GCN Animal Crossing like Robert Downey to crack. She was hooked for months. Buying another DS and/or copy of the game would be a waste of money because AC is the only game she would play. Is it possible for her and I both to have characters on the same cart? I know we wouldn't be able to interact directly, but if we could decorate a house together, send notes, etc. that'd be fine.

[quote name='Tybee']Those of you who have the game, or those who know a lot of the details: Is it possible for more than one person to play using one copy of the game? My wife is fairly indifferent towards video games, but she took to the GCN Animal Crossing like Robert Downey to crack. She was hooked for months. Buying another DS and/or copy of the game would be a waste of money because AC is the only game she would play. Is it possible for her and I both to have characters on the same cart? I know we wouldn't be able to interact directly, but if we could decorate a house together, send notes, etc. that'd be fine.[/QUOTE]

Yes, up to four people can share the same house (no house of your own this time around -- there are four beds upstairs in one house) on the same cartridge

[quote name='Quigoni']OK yeah I looked that up in the strat guide and it's actually so you can (if they decide to send them out) receive messages from the WFC server on your board. That's at least how the book explains it.[/QUOTE]

Makes sense for the message board, but anything about the "Letters" option in the book? Or is that also server messages?

[quote name='WildWop']Yes, up to four people can share the same house (no house of your own this time around -- there are four beds upstairs in one house) on the same cartridge[/QUOTE]

I know that might be a drawback for some, but for us that's good news. We often wished we could live in the same house...More like real life.

Now if only we could share the same bed. What is this, "I Love Lucy?" ;)

bread's done
Back