Anime and Manga Recommendations: Newbie Inside

darthstrife

CAGiversary!
Feedback
66 (100%)
I am pretty new to Anime and Manga and was looking for some recommendations on what to get.

I can tell you that I have seen of anime, I really enjoyed the whole Evangelion series. From what I have seen I have also enjoyed Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Panic, and Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex. I have not enjoyed the Dragonball/Dragonball Z, Naruto, or Inyuyasha. Any recommendations?

As far as manga, I am really new to this. I have enjoyed the original Ghost in the Shell manga and from what I have read of Rahxephon. Any recommendations?

Also, any good sites to check out any, get reliable reviews, or possibly purchase this stuff?

I dont really watch anime anymore but I still follow Bleach.
Read the manga cause the anime sucks.

If you like vampires then check out Hellsing, Blood +, Vampire Hunter D.

Naruto's anime and manga are both great but a bit long if your just starting now and there was a whole year full of anime filler.

Berserk is the best anime out there. If you disagree, you're wrong. It's that simple.

Fullmetal Alchemist is also fantastic as is Rurouni Kenshin.

As for good sites to get info, check animeondvd.com, animenfo.com, and animenewsnetwork.com (for their encyclopedia section.)

Anime: Chrno Crusade
Ragnarok
Trigun
Samurai Champloo

Manga: Battle Royale (also see the Battle Royale movies and the original novel from which all these are based)
Initial D
Hellsing
Priest

Series :
Elfen lied
Gundam SEED
Noein
GunGrave
Get Backers
Fate/Stay Night
Basilisk
Macross Zero
Black Cat

Movies :
Advent Children
Princess Mononoke
Appleseed
Vampire Hunter D

Anime:
School Rumble
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzmiya
Bleach
Naruto
Blood+
One Piece
Fate/Stay Night
Fullmetal Alchemist

Manga:
Getbackers
DEATH NOTE(!!)
Bleach
Fullmetal Alchemist
One Piece
Naruto
GTO

Also
Battle Royale (movie)
GTO (Drama)

a few of you have mentioned naruto, even though my first post expressly says i don't like that series. i'm not so much looking for a list of what you like, but a list of recommendations based off what limited things i have seen/read and liked.

If you like Evangelion I'm pretty sure you'll like RahXephon. I'm not really into anime too much but those two shows I really dig .. as well as Naruto, Hellsing, and Full Metal Alchemist.

If you really liked the Ghost in the Shell manga, DO NOT BUY Man-Machine Interface. It's all glitz and little substance. The inherent lack of Section 9 and...well, any interesting situations whatsoever make it much more important that you save your $25 for something else.

If you're into Shirow's works, might I suggest his Appleseed manga as well as Dominion? You can usually snag those for pennies on the dollar online since they're old and few people care any longer. That and Dominion may be up your alley and pairs with the Dominion Tank Police anime (original, not New). You can snag the anime for $10 or less now, if I recall, and the manga probably for another $10.

As for everything else, people have already mentioned a wealth of titles.

well it seems you arent a fan of shouen jump manga, you might be interested in Seinen Manga. These include Gantz and Bereserk. They are usually darker, more adult themes, and much more violent.

Samurai Champloo is directed by the same guy who did Cowboy Bebop, it's very much worth checking out. He also worked on Macross quite a bit and the Animatrix to name a few, but Samurai Champloo is up there with Bebop. =)

If you liked Evangelion (as just about everyone does) then check out FLCL (Fooly Cooly) and Gunbuster (the original OVA not Gunbuster 2), as these are by the same people (Gainax) and share some similarities to Evangelion (kids, robots, saving the world etc...).

Oh and the whole 'i'm not so much looking for a list of what you like, but a list of recommendations based off what limited things i have seen/read and liked.' probably won't go down to well, people are recommending these shows because most have a MASSIVE following/status and if you watch something like FullMetal Alchemist you'll quickly see why so many people recommended it.

And I'd also highly recommend you watch GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka), Hellsing, and anything by Ghibli.

^_^

[quote name='darthstrife']I am pretty new to Anime and Manga and was looking for some recommendations on what to get.

I can tell you that I have seen of anime, I really enjoyed the whole Evangelion series. From what I have seen I have also enjoyed Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Panic, and Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex. I have not enjoyed the Dragonball/Dragonball Z, Naruto, or Inyuyasha. Any recommendations?

As far as manga, I am really new to this. I have enjoyed the original Ghost in the Shell manga and from what I have read of Rahxephon. Any recommendations?

Also, any good sites to check out any, get reliable reviews, or possibly purchase this stuff?[/QUOTE]

Anime:

Gungrave
Gundam 08th MS Team (there's tons of different series, I'm suggesting this one becuase it's shorter and one of the better ones if you like it try the others)
Samurai Champloo (You'll see some similarities to Bebop in style/attitude)
Akira
Crest of the Stars (the followup is Banner of the Stars)
Berserk
Azumanga Daioh (It'll make you like comedy anime)
Escaflowne (Watch the series first, not the movie)
Outlaw Star
Any number of Miyazaki films
Last Exile
Now and Then, Here and There
Monster
Eureka Seven (It's decent, watch it on adult swim)

Magna:
(Alot of the above series have manga that is good as well)

Blade of the Immortal (If I had my way everyone would read it, it's that good)
Fullmetal Alchemist
Vampire hunter D novels
Death Note
Shadow Star (don't be fooled by the child-likeness, it gets kinda heavy)
Gundam: The Origin
Black Jack

Websites:

For News/info: Anime News Network
For reviews: Anime on DVD
For purchasing: Right Stuf International
Deep Discount DVD

[quote name='Chacrana']Berserk is the best anime out there. If you disagree, you're wrong. It's that simple.

Fullmetal Alchemist is also fantastic as is Rurouni Kenshin.

As for good sites to get info, check animeondvd.com, animenfo.com, and animenewsnetwork.com (for their encyclopedia section.)[/quote]

+1 for Berserk and FMA

Last Exile and FMA are my two favorite series. Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop are also quite awesome.

i thought gantz and gungrave blew chunks but hey that's just me :bomb:

Steel Angel Kurumi, Cardcaptor Sakura, Kinos Journey, Outlaw Star, Now and There Here and Then and Infinite Ryvius are a good place to start.

Big O is one of my favorites. It has similarites to Batman in regards to the Roger Smith character being patterned somewhat on Bruce Wayne.

Goldenboy has great raunchy humor if you like that sort of thing.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Big O is one of my favorites. It has similarites to Batman in regards to the Roger Smith character being patterned somewhat on Bruce Wayne.

[/QUOTE]

It's the main inspiration for the show (even some of the animation team worked on Batman TAS under Sunrise IIRC).

The comparisons are totally there too in almost all the characters...

Big O = One big ass bat suit
Dorothy = female version of Robin
Major Dastun = Commissoner Gordon
Nroman = Alfred
Alan = The Joker
Beck = The Riddler
Angel = Catwoman (always found it interesting that Alan takes to calling her kitty too)
Paradigm City = Gotham City (even in design largely)

Maybe I'm weird for seeing all that, but those character's nearly instantly remind me of the Batman characters...

Cartoons:
Outlaw Star
Gundam 08th MS Team
Samurai Champloo
Trigun

Comics:
Blade of the Immortal
Evangelion Manga (if you liked the show, don't dismiss it, it's very different)
Hellsing
Gundam 0079

Samurai gun
peacekeeper
samurai deeper Kyo
Helsing
Vampire Hunter D
scryed
Saiyuki
Kiddy Grade
12th kingdoms
Blue Gender
Project arms
Escaflowne
GTO
Record of loddos war
Berserk ( also but the game if you own a dreamcast)
Burst angel
desert punk
Ikki toussen
jo jo's bizzare adventure
X

[quote name='Chacrana']Berserk is the best anime out there. If you disagree, you're wrong. It's that simple.
[/QUOTE]
yes, just make sure you realize the 1st season ended expecting a 2nd... with a gigantic cliffhanger that just leaves you pissed.

I personally really enjoyed now and then, here and there. you can find the set for around 20 bucks.

bread's done
Back