Anime and Manga Thread Vol. 1: Visions of a God

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']This explains a lot about your love of dubs and the American companies.[/QUOTE]

Maybe a little, but I still only like *good* dubs. Thankfully, most of the dubs being made these days are pretty good.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']
Really? I've seen guys make birthday cakes for their favorite harem girl. Guys buy pillows and figures and posters and statues and more to be surrounded with their 2d love.[/QUOTE]
And I've talked to plenty of guys who don't actually do that...

Also lets be honest something like that isn't exclusive to the pedo's in the first place. I'm sure if you bother looking you could find some Hentai fans who do the same exact thing.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']And I've talked to plenty of guys who don't actually do that...

Also lets be honest something like that isn't exclusive to the pedo's in the first place. I'm sure if you bother looking you could find some Hentai fans who do the same exact thing.[/QUOTE]

it's much harder to find in the hentai world. besides i was only comparing the "average" hentai watcher to lolis/harem fans. the average hentai watcher guy is just watching a 2d vs. 3d pron and judging people for watching pron is so 1950's. however the harem guy isn't getting that particular function overtly out of his watching and sits through an entire series of "fan service". i find that profoundly more disturbing as it is aberrant to the typical male practices. hence i label that guy the MUCH creepier individual.

Woot! Darker Than Black S2 fansubs are out now.

Gonna watch the 1st ep tonight. Nice to have a series to look forward to other than FMA Brotherhood.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']it's much harder to find in the hentai world. besides i was only comparing the "average" hentai watcher to lolis/harem fans. the average hentai watcher guy is just watching a 2d vs. 3d pron and judging people for watching pron is so 1950's. however the harem guy isn't getting that particular function overtly out of his watching and sits through an entire series of "fan service". i find that profoundly more disturbing as it is aberrant to the typical male practices. hence i label that guy the MUCH creepier individual.[/QUOTE]

I know i'm not really part of this argument, but i definitely agree with whichever side this is. Hentai is definitely less creepy than idolizing inanimate objects (although they're both still sorta creepy ;)).

[quote name='Indignate']I'm playing through the game now and was wondering how the anime holds up. Does it follow the original storyline closely? I would kind of like it if it veered off in it's own direction throughout so that It wouldn't feel like you're just watching the game now.[/QUOTE]

I had the same hopes, but it follows the game extremely closely and at times feels like i'm watching the game. If i didn't love the game so much, i'd probably be pissed.

I have finished watching Gungrave. As a whole it was a good show. I enjoyed the crime drama stuff. The supernatural stuff was more hit and miss for me since some of it was really silly (like
the Bob Poundmax flying helicopter blob monster
), but there were times when they did it right (like
Grave's fights with Bunji Kugashira
).

I decided to watch Pale Cocoon after noticing that Crunchyroll had it when they highlighted it in their most recent newsletter. I enjoyed it; although I was a bit confused, and a second viewing might clear some things up for me. Even though Crunchyroll only has Pale Cocoon in standard definition, it was visually stunning. The 3D looks gorgeous and meshes well with the 2D characters. Also, some of the technology in the world that Pale Cocoon presents is quite interesting.

I noticed that Time of Eve is by the same studio who did Pale Cocoon, so now I am a bit more interested in watching Time of Eve.

I'm sure most have already seen it, but SyFy is running Monster on its AniMonday block. So far the dubs for the main characters seem decent. To anyone who hasn't seen it, I'd definitely recommend it.

[quote name='thack']I'm sure most have already seen it, but SyFy is running Monster on its AniMonday block. So far the dubs for the main characters seem decent. To anyone who hasn't seen it, I'd definitely recommend it.[/QUOTE]

One of my most favorite shows *ever*! You all better be watching it, if you haven't seen it already! Though I hear they changed a couple BGM pieces around from the initial TV airings, which is really strange... I wonder if the Japanese DVDs were like that also?

I'm gonna have to disagree with Kirin here. Monster is really only excellent as a manga. The anime drags considerably in comparison and will wind up boring most viewers I think.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']I'm gonna have to disagree with Kirin here. Monster is really only excellent as a manga. The anime drags considerably in comparison and will wind up boring most viewers I think.[/QUOTE]

While I would agree that the anime can be slow at times, I would never say that it "drags", and I never once found myself bored. Also, I feel that the anime version is slightly superior, as it's a 100% faithful, fully-realized version of the manga. But whichever one ends up choosing, you can't go wrong - Monster is phenomenal!

I just started Baccano!, about halfway through. It's very, very good :applause:

It reminds me of Tarantino movies in some ways, the art style and music (which is amazing) definitely. The story keeps getting better and better even as they continue to introduce characters, and it's a very good balance of comedy, action, and drama.

[quote name='the_punisher']I just started Baccano!, about halfway through. It's very, very good :applause:
[/QUOTE]

Worth watching twice. Or more :cool:

The new Naruto OP (Flow - Sign) is stupendous. Good anime openings are too addictive.

[quote name='tehweezner']Worth watching twice. Or more :cool:

The new Naruto OP (Flow - Sign) is stupendous. Good anime openings are too addictive.[/QUOTE]

Just finished it (not the OVA's yet), and I already agree. What an AMAZING series :applause:

I already rewatched the first episode to fully get the picture, and i have to say that it's now one of my favorite series'. No wonder it's so highly rated.

I'm mostly done with Law of Ueki and enjoying it.

I also got a PSP for my birthday and I am playing the crap out of Sunday VS Magazine: Shuuketsu! Choujou Daikessen. It sure is awesome to fight Ueki with Ippo and Takamura. Definitely grab this game if you get a chance (don't forget to turn it to technical mode so it isn't a button masher).

I've had Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya sitting on my shelf since a BB clearance god-knows-when, and I finally started watching it. Episode 00 was funny.

I finished watching My Hime last night. I thought it was phenomenal! It totally blew away my expectations, albeit I was only expecting what I could infer from the box art. I feel like the less someone knows about My Hime before they watch it, the better of an experience they would have. I am extremely reluctant to even say what I liked about story because that would ruin part of the enjoyment and experience.

My Hime story spoilers:
One of the reasons I loved the story so much is because of how tragic it was. Without regard to the ending of the show I would label My Hime as a tragedy. I was really surprised that everyone was susceptible to these events; also, I was always surprised when things kept taking a turn for the worst.

Another reason I liked it so much is because of the characters. These characters felt real to me because of how well they emoted. These characters could feel. Also, the characters were naturally flawed; there was selfishness, greed, deceit, love, hate, etc.

I actually liked the ending. They either could of brought everything to the very bottom making it quite depressing or they could of made a happy ending where everyone is alright. They chose the latter and I appreciate that. It was nice to finally see all the characters at peace enjoying themselves. I think they deserve it—especially after that crazy chain of tragic events.

Oh, and I thought the English dub was great. Everyone's voice fit their respective character and I thought their performances were awesome.

Also, I really like the art in My Hime. The art and animation is sharp; plus, the character designs are great.

Bah, I guess I can't leave out an acknowledgment of the music. The music is fantastic! I definitely need to order both soundtracks!

[quote name='Razzuel']I finished watching My Hime last night. I thought it was phenomenal! It totally blew away my expectations, albeit I was only expecting what I could infer from the box art. I feel like the less someone knows about My Hime before they watch it, the better of an experience they would have. I am extremely reluctant to even say what I liked about story because that would ruin part of the enjoyment and experience.

My Hime story spoilers:
One of the reasons I loved the story so much is because of how tragic it was. Without regard to the ending of the show I would label My Hime as a tragedy. I was really surprised that everyone was susceptible to these events; also, I was always surprised when things kept taking a turn for the worst.

Another reason I liked it so much is because of the characters. These characters felt real to me because of how well they emoted. These characters could feel. Also, the characters were naturally flawed; there was selfishness, greed, deceit, love, hate, etc.

I actually liked the ending. They either could of brought everything to the very bottom making it quite depressing or they could of made a happy ending where everyone is alright. They chose the latter and I appreciate that. It was nice to finally see all the characters at peace enjoying themselves. I think they deserve it—especially after that crazy chain of tragic events.

Oh, and I thought the English dub was great. Everyone's voice fit their respective character and I thought their performances were awesome.

Also, I really like the art in My Hime. The art and animation is sharp; plus, the character designs are great.

Bah, I guess I can't leave out an acknowledgment of the music. The music is fantastic! I definitely need to order both soundtracks![/QUOTE]

Finally, your praise is well-founded. My-HiME is an amazing, underrated series.

[quote name='the_punisher']Finally, your praise is well-founded. My-HiME is an amazing, underrated series.[/QUOTE]

My praise is always well-founded and genuine.

[quote name='tehweezner']My-Hime was better than I expected, but it isn't that great of a show. It definitely has its moments though once it gets serious.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I enjoyed it for what it was, but the characters and plot both lacked the depth that would have helped to make it a better show. And I couldn't stand the dub, either... ugh.

I just finished watching My Otome. I think I liked My Hime more, but that doesn't mean I think ill of My Otome—My Otome was fantastic. It took all the great elements from My Hime—art, animation, music, and characters—and created a new story that evoked similar feelings from My Hime, but it was also fresh and exciting at the same time.

Oh, and screw you guys who aren't in favor of My Hime or My Otome's English dub. The voice actors always matched the lip flaps, conveyed the characters emotions, and were a vocal fit for their respective character. ;)

[quote name='Razzuel'] Oh, and screw you guys who aren't in favor of My Hime or My Otome's English dub. The voice actors always matched the lip flaps, conveyed the characters emotions, and were a vocal fit for their respective character.[/QUOTE]
I'd probably argue with you if it wasn't for the fact that it has been years since I watched it dubbed. All I can say is I hated the southern accent they gave Shizuru.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I'd probably argue with you if it wasn't for the fact that it has been years since I watched it dubbed. All I can say is I hated the southern accent they gave Shizuru.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I figured, and I can understand how someone might not like that she has that southern accent. It was jarring when I first heard her voice because none of the other voice actors had a noticeable accent—to me at least—but shortly thereafter it sounded natural. I actually think that Shizuru's English voice actor fits her character:
on the surface she emits an aura of calmness, but there is a tinge of her "evil" side from her love for Natsuki.

[quote name='Razzuel']I just finished watching My Otome. I think I liked My Hime more, but that doesn't mean I think ill of My Otome—My Otome was fantastic. It took all the great elements from My Hime—art, animation, music, and characters—and created a new story that evoked similar feelings from My Hime, but it was also fresh and exciting at the same time.

Oh, and screw you guys who aren't in favor of My Hime or My Otome's English dub. The voice actors always matched the lip flaps, conveyed the characters emotions, and were a vocal fit for their respective character. ;)[/QUOTE]

I hate to tell you, but the dub isn't very good. A lot of the voices are way too high-pitched, and as much as i love the show, it has a very low-budget feel to it for some reason, and that extends to its dub.

[quote name='the_punisher']I hate to tell you, but the dub isn't very good. A lot of the voices are way too high-pitched, and as much as i love the show, it has a very low-budget feel to it for some reason, and that extends to its dub.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't disagree with you more; you are so very wrong. I love the the English dubs for My Hime and My Otome. If you are saying that there is something wrong with Arika's voice, then you are wrong. I like her high pitched voice. It accurately represents her character because she is antsy and highly enthusiastic. Also, the show is everything but low budget. The animation looks amazingly crisp and sharp, the music fantastically fits what is happening on screen, and the English voices properly evoke each character's personality and emotions. Actually, I am surprised that the voice actors in My Hime and My Otome only have a handful of acting roles; I really enjoyed their performances, so it's disappointing that they only appear in a few anime.

Oh, I watched Blade of the Phantom Master earlier. It was entertaining. I guess my biggest complaint is that the movie's story felt like a side story to something much larger. If I am remembering correctly, then there were some important plot points left unexplained. I wonder if the manhwa covers the larger part of the story that the movie hints at—I would think so.

I am waay to critical of dubs. A lot of dubs that most people consider good, I consider to be pretty bad. I always notice when a line is delivered flatly (sounds like it was just read from the script like a book, or even sometimes "forced" emotions), and it sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me, taking me "out of the moment," so-to-speak. Sometimes I just get used to it, sometimes I don't. I'm too picky. Which is why I end up watching most stuff subbed.

But yeah, sorry, I don't want to turn this into subs vs. dubs again; just explaining why I watch stuff subbed because I kind of just realized that that^ was the main reason, and I know you all care so much. haha.

And yeah, I still haven't watched any anime (coming up on 2 months without watching a single episode of anything). Eh, I'll get around to it...

I've been watching Haruhi Suzumiya, and it's OK. I like the comedy episodes. The "Melancholy Parts I - VI" episodes I didn't like much, it all felt like Japanese light novel bullshit. Mikuru is unbearably irritating (in Japanese, at least.)

[quote name='pete5883']I've been watching Haruhi Suzumiya, and it's OK. I like the comedy episodes. The "Melancholy Parts I - VI" episodes I didn't like much, it all felt like Japanese light novel bullshit. Mikuru is unbearably irritating (in Japanese, at least.)[/QUOTE]

Burn him at the stake!

I also think it's really stupid how everyone bitched about them fixing the episode order for the DVD release - it makes more sense now. In the baseball episode there's a reference to
Kyon's "ponytail moe" from MoHS VI. In the broadcast order, that hadn't happened yet.

[quote name='pete5883']I've been watching Haruhi Suzumiya, and it's OK. I like the comedy episodes. The "Melancholy Parts I - VI" episodes I didn't like much, it all felt like Japanese light novel bullshit.[/QUOTE]
Well it is based off a series of light novels...

I need to start getting rid of some of my anime and manga. I barely have any room to keep any of it in my room now... I just need to figure out how to get rid of it.

Just finished up Law of Ueki. Man I wish LoU+ had been turned into an anime by now. I really would like to see more.

Against every manly bone in my body I am giving Princess TuTu a chance. God this is hard to watch....so much.....ballet.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Against every manly bone in my body I am giving Princess TuTu a chance. God this is hard to watch....so much.....ballet.[/QUOTE]
I did that with Maria-sama ga Miteru and ended up enjoying it...then again it was full of suggested Yuri...and Sei.

Any tips for getting rid of some DVDs and manga? I could probably use ebay or Amazon. But I wouldn't know what I should charge for them.

i've had no luck moving manga on ebay. it apparently loses 90% of its value once it's out of the store, for no reason at all.

To be honest I just want to get rid of the stuff. Most of it's stuff I just lost interest in or I fell behind in collecting and ended up buying a boxset for(Since it was cheaper then buying the remaining volumes).

Yeah, I've got no way to get rid of my manga, since I won't take 10 cents per book. I really don't want to keep my 2/3 complete Rurouni Kenshin or 20 vols of Vagabond. What are you trying to get rid of, Chibi?

[quote name='pete5883']What are you trying to get rid of, Chibi?[/QUOTE]
I'll have to go look again to see what I want to get rid of.

I just finished Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. And I'm annoyed(yet again) that I didn't watch it sooner. I have to admit my favorite parts were when Chie(another teacher) and Komori popped in..especially together. I love that they pretty much made them yuri bait. Also I loved the super stalker girl as well...

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Going to my first con tomorrow. Any advice on con etiquette?[/QUOTE]

Don't be retarded. You'd be surprised how many people can't follow this advice at anime cons.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Going to my first con tomorrow. Any advice on con etiquette?[/QUOTE]

1) Don't participate in 'BUTTSCRATCHER' or 'YOU LOST THE GAME' or any other memes.

2) Don't gawk at scantily clad cosplayers. You're gonna gawk a little, just...don't gawk alot.

3) On that note- EVERYONE is underage. Even if they're 18, they're underage. Just, trust me on this one.

And just enjoy. It's a great displacement of the real world and you can really let go without feeling judged. Just be aware of others around you and it'll be a great experience.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Don't be retarded. You'd be surprised how many people can't follow this advice at anime cons.[/QUOTE]

I've heard stories. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine on this front.

[quote name='Tybalt Flux']1) Don't participate in 'BUTTSCRATCHER' or 'YOU LOST THE GAME' or any other memes.

2) Don't gawk at scantily clad cosplayers. You're gonna gawk a little, just...don't gawk alot.

3) On that note- EVERYONE is underage. Even if they're 18, they're underage. Just, trust me on this one.

And just enjoy. It's a great displacement of the real world and you can really let go without feeling judged. Just be aware of others around you and it'll be a great experience.[/QUOTE]

1) Trust me, I won't. I can't stand that crap.

2) Aw man.

This con's got some restrictions on cosplayers anyway. All costumes have to be tasteful and not too revealing. I'm sure there'll be some people who will break the rules anyway.

3) Alright, I'll trust you.

I'm pretty excited, this being my first con and all. There's gonna be a pretty big dealer room, a few great guests, a Persona panel, and live-action Mario Party. I'm hoping it's gonna be great.

[quote name='chairman_lmao']i've heard stories. I'm pretty sure i'll be fine on this front.

1) trust me, i won't. I can't stand that crap.

2) aw man.

This con's got some restrictions on cosplayers anyway. All costumes have to be tasteful and not too revealing. I'm sure there'll be some people who will break the rules anyway.

3) alright, i'll trust you.

I'm pretty excited, this being my first con and all. There's gonna be a pretty big dealer room, a few great guests, a persona panel, and live-action mario party. I'm hoping it's gonna be great.[/quote]

PERSONA!? I wana go!!!

[quote name='the_punisher']PERSONA!? I wana go!!![/QUOTE]

It was terrible. Everyone was either retarded or a douchebag. The Persona panel was full of holier-than-thou assholes. The live-action Mario Party was full of retards. There was supposed to be free video gaming all day in the video game room, but I guess you had to get there early, because they wouldn't let anyone play.

It took up the first two floors of the hotel. It was way too big for it's own good.

bread's done
Back