Anime and Manga Thread Vol. 1: Visions of a God

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Nausicaa! Monster! 20th Century Boys! Evangelion! Yotsuba&!![/QUOTE]

I'm reading Rave Master right now but I have a couple of questions. How close is Monster the manga to Monster the anime? Because I've already watched the entire anime series. Is Evangelion any good? Or is it like X:The Movie?

[quote name='rickshankshaw']How close is Monster the manga to Monster the anime? Because I've already watched the entire anime series. [/QUOTE]
More or less identical.

[quote name='rickshankshaw']Is Evangelion any good? Or is it like X:The Movie?[/QUOTE]
Very, very good. Few things are as horrible as X: The Movie, but... why would you ever think the two were even remotely similar?

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Very, very good. Few things are as horrible as X: The Movie, but... why would you ever think the two were even remotely similar?[/QUOTE]

Because what I understand, the endings are basically the same. It's an
everybody dies
kind of ending

[quote name='rickshankshaw']Because what I understand, the endings are basically the same. It's an
everybody dies
kind of ending[/QUOTE]

Eh...
kind of.
But other than that very, *very* general, oversimplified commonality, they're not even remotely similar.

I finished 20th & 21st Century Boys last night. I guess I'm kinda mixed. The series had good parts, it just seems like it was really drawn out with a payoff that didn't really have much emotion IMO.

All that anticipation for the final Kenji vs. Katsumata and he goes and gets crushed by a damn UFO...

I'll probably end up watching the movies this weekend. I highly doubt they're anything compared to the manga, but live action manga/anime always seems to be worth watching for one reason or another.

Ninja Scroll is good if you're into the old school, this is gonna' be crazy, mentality to anime. Which is what anime was really known for back in the day. The definition of anime has really changed since DBZ, Pokemon, and Yugioh hit it big over here.

Personally I consider Ninja Scroll to be an anime version of Crank. Just have fun with it and don't look for anything super deep and you'll like it.

[quote name='Bezerker']I finished 20th & 21st Century Boys last night. I guess I'm kinda mixed. The series had good parts, it just seems like it was really drawn out with a payoff that didn't really have much emotion IMO.

All that anticipation for the final Kenji vs. Katsumata and he goes and gets crushed by a damn UFO...

I'll probably end up watching the movies this weekend. I highly doubt they're anything compared to the manga, but live action manga/anime always seems to be worth watching for one reason or another.[/QUOTE]

Japanese movies really tend to have this weird overacting in them. Korean cinema is where it's at.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Watched the first 30 minutes of Ninja Scroll. I don't see anything wrong with it yet aside from dated animation and little excessive arterial spray.[/QUOTE]

It's the very embodiment of the shitty, "Oh my god, look how edgy this cartoon is!" anime that came out in America in the 90's. If you're not expecting anything more from it, you probably won't mind. But it's so~ bad!

A couple things:

Ninja Scroll is fine for an old school bloodfest. Judging it by any other standard is unnecessary.

X: Movie >> Japanese Movies

Monster anime kinda sucks compared to the manga since IT IS SO SLOW.

Yay now I'm all caught up!

[quote name='rickshankshaw']Japanese movies really tend to have this weird overacting in them. Korean cinema is where it's at.[/QUOTE]

Old Boy ftw.

Shit that's not anime-related :cry:

[quote name='the_punisher']Old Boy ftw.

Shit that's not anime-related :cry:[/QUOTE]

It was based on a manga, so it is technically anime-related.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']It was based on a manga, so it is technically anime-related.[/QUOTE]

Not really. That's like saying that a movie based on a comic, that hasn't been released on any other medium, is cartoon-related considering many comics have cartoon versions.

[quote name='Indignate']Not really. That's like saying that a movie based on a comic, that hasn't been released on any other medium, is cartoon-related considering many comics have cartoon versions.[/QUOTE]

You see, punisher said that, I assume, because this is the anime/manga thread and he thought that Old Boy had no relevance to this thread. I; however, was pointing out that it does have relevance to this thread.

[quote name='rickshankshaw']Personally I consider Ninja Scroll to be an anime version of Crank. Just have fun with it and don't look for anything super deep and you'll like it.[/QUOTE]

I think I need to watch Ninja Scroll now. :lol:

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']It's the very embodiment of the awesome, "Oh my god, look how edgy this cartoon is!" anime [/QUOTE]

Fixed that for you ;)

But c'mon, Ninja Scroll has some of the coolest action sequences ever. That alone makes it un-bad imo.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']You see, punisher said that, I assume, because this is the anime/manga thread and he thought that Old Boy had no relevance to this thread. I; however, was pointing out that it does have relevance to this thread.[/QUOTE]

Give the man a dollar, yep i didn't realize it was based on a manga. Interesting.

A went to see Eureka Seven: good night, sleep tight, you lovers in theatres just now because i have no life :). I really liked it, it manages to incorporate the world, characters, and overall feel of Eureka Seven while still changing everyone's roles and/or personalities. It also had, at some points, incredible art direction.

Some of it was a little cheesy (I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU TOO!!!, but i can overlook that as an E7 fan, and overall i really liked it. Well done, Bones :applause:

I'm very excited to see that Funimation is going to be putting out Initial D, although I'm disappointed that I bought the Tokyopop versions. Sigh, guess I'm gonna have to start saving up....

[quote name='the_punisher']
Also, they're replacing Alphonse for the FMA:B cast. Nice :whistle2:8[/QUOTE]

The voice actor went through puberty. Something that has still yet to stop Hanson...

[quote name='ChibiJosh']You see, punisher said that, I assume, because this is the anime/manga thread and he thought that Old Boy had no relevance to this thread. I; however, was pointing out that it does have relevance to this thread.[/QUOTE]

It does have relevance to this thread due to it's manga origins. I was just pointing out that it isn't anime related at all.

This is quite late, but I went and saw the Eureka Seven movie as well. I enjoyed the movie; it still has the same flair that the TV series had. My only complaint is that I felt like the story had too many elements for the two hour time slot, which meant that some things were left haphazardly explained or not explained at all. Other than that I had a great time.

Oh, and the making-of after show was awesome, especially the bloopers— those things were hilarious.

Also, I know this isn't an anime or manga, but I finished reading the first Full Metal Panic novel. It is basically exactly the same as the anime except in novel form. I thought it was really good. Last night I started reading the second novel and it is awesome so far; it's just a great way to experience the story I saw play out in the anime.

Guess I'm the only one here who didn't care much for the E7 movie. I think I just liked the series too much and anything different seemed like crap. :p Well, to be more specific, I liked the series mainly for the strong character development, of which there was very little in the movie . Very one-dimensional characters. I know something like that is hard to pull off in a short amount of time, so I can't fault it too much for that; it just didn't hold my interest as much.

I agree that they definitely tried to cram way too much into a 2 hour movie, though. I wish they would have narrowed their focus a bit.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Anyone know of any recent and good mecha shows?[/QUOTE]
Macross Frontier is supposed to be a good, semi-recent mecha show. Haven't seen it, but heard a lot of good things.

I haven't watched any anime in the past couple weeks. School has taken over. That, and also I've been getting way into music lately--mainly indie stuff--so I've been doing that in all my spare time (procrastinating). I still need to watch the last Time of Eve episode...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ummm... Basquash? If you want to watch mecha play basketball, haha. Haven't seen that one either, but hear it's mediocre-ish. Might be interesting, I dunno. It's the only new mecha series that I know of, anyway. :p

Looking at MAL ratings...Mobile_Suit_Gundam_00_Second_Season is pretty high up there.

Who knows if it's actually that good though. I've learned that you can't trust ratings since most people tend to vastly overrate pretty much everything. Plus I guess you would have had to of seen the first season... and if that's the case, then you probably already know about the second season.

Wow, that was worthless.

EDIT:
Casshern_Sins - not sure how much "mecha stuff" this one involves
RideBack - " "
Isekai_no_Seikishi_Monogatari

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure Rei hates Gundam 00.

[quote name='Razzuel']This is quite late, but I went and saw the Eureka Seven movie as well. I enjoyed the movie; it still has the same flair that the TV series had. My only complaint is that I felt like the story had too many elements for the two hour time slot, which meant that some things were left haphazardly explained or not explained at all. Other than that I had a great time.

Oh, and the making-of after show was awesome, especially the bloopers— those things were hilarious.

Also, I know this isn't an anime or manga, but I finished reading the first Full Metal Panic novel. It is basically exactly the same as the anime except in novel form. I thought it was really good. Last night I started reading the second novel and it is awesome so far; it's just a great way to experience the story I saw play out in the anime.[/QUOTE]

I kind of wanted to go and see it but I had to work that night...

You should have stayed away from the novels since TP will never finish them. Which sucks because the novels really get interesting later on(I've read a few of the fan translated novels and a summary of later stuff) ... I guess we'll have to hope the later stuff gets an anime or learn Japanese...

I finished watching Saikano yesterday. I enjoyed it but I didn't love it.

Every other episode Fuyumi showed up to attempt to rape Shuji. There was that awkward, creepy short lived thing between Tetsu and Chise. People were dying practically every episode so it didn't really have any sort of emotional impact by the end. There was one point where a bomb fell on top of Shuji, the other two people that were next to him died and yet he didn't have a scratch on him.

Although, after watching it, I feel as if something like that could actually happen in my lifetime. Not the whole schoolgirl turned into ultimate weapon thing, but the whole war where everyday there's the chance bombs are going to be dropped on you.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I finished watching Saikano yesterday. I enjoyed it but I didn't love it.

Every other episode Fuyumi showed up to attempt to rape Shuji. There was that awkward, creepy short lived thing between Tetsu and Chise. People were dying practically every episode so it didn't really have any sort of emotional impact by the end. There was one point where a bomb fell on top of Shuji, the other two people that were next to him died and yet he didn't have a scratch on him.

Although, after watching it, I feel as if something like that could actually happen in my lifetime. Not the whole schoolgirl turned into ultimate weapon thing, but the whole war where everyday there's the chance bombs are going to be dropped on you.[/QUOTE]
I love Saikano. My second favorite anime.

so as we probably all know mezzo forte had some pretty...uhh...pronoriffic scenes. on netflix the other day i saw a show called mezzo which seemed to have the same characters but was some kind of non-pron tv series or something? anyone seen/heard about it?

also, damn netflix for not having ANYTHING subbed. : (

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']so as we probably all know mezzo forte had some pretty...uhh...pronoriffic scenes. on netflix the other day i saw a show called mezzo which seemed to have the same characters but was some kind of non-pron tv series or something? anyone seen/heard about it?

also, damn netflix for not having ANYTHING subbed. : ([/QUOTE]
Yeah, I own Mezzo and Mezzo Forte. Mezzo is a sequel to Mezzo Forte. It's decent but not as good as its prequel.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Yeah, I own Mezzo and Mezzo Forte. Mezzo is a sequel to Mezzo Forte. It's decent but not as good as its prequel.[/QUOTE]
And there is also a TV sequel to Mezzo Forte called Mezzo DSA.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']And there is also a TV sequel to Mezzo Forte called Mezzo DSA.[/QUOTE]
I think we're thinking of the same show. Unless there's 3 series. I only know of two.

I just noticed that Funi licensed Initial D stages 1-4. And they also mention that they are planning to re-dub it as well. I'm kind of surprised that they would go that far with it.... I honestly think going sub only would make more sense.

And I saw Bandai is going to re-dub Ghost in the Shell 2 again? that makes no sense since thats what they did with the last release...

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']so as we probably all know mezzo forte had some pretty...uhh...pronoriffic scenes. on netflix the other day i saw a show called mezzo which seemed to have the same characters but was some kind of non-pron tv series or something? anyone seen/heard about it?[/QUOTE]

Mezzo is pretty average. "Shallow" and "stupid" are the two words that describe it best, I think.

[quote name='bluedotlounge']My Black Lagoon rerelease review:

http://www.examiner.com/x-13269-SF-...ifestyle-Black-Lagoon-Complete-Box-Set-review

Nothing that most of you guys haven't watched already or know about. Excuse the "Gaming Lifestyle" heading. It's the only way my editor allows me to do DVD reviews within Examiner's gaming section.[/QUOTE]

Err, I know this may be rude, but... that's some terrible writing. Especially your closing paragraph:

For all its praise, Black Lagoon is certainly not the greatest thinking man's action anime, but it comes close. Who knows how great this show would have looked had it been made in the early 90's, back when studios like Madhouse had much bigger budgets. Still, Black Lagoon delivers a perfect balance of old-fashioned action and nihilism, along with some of the most original characters in recent memory.

Painful.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']
Err, I know this may be rude, but... that's some terrible writing. Especially your closing paragraph:

Painful.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. It seems more like mumbling than writing. Sorry. :cry:

I saw the first episode of Mezzo and it was terrible. I didn't even bother watching the second episode. Should I give the movie a chance? I've seen the unedited version of Kite so I'm not going to be shocked by anything.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Marathoned Moonlight Mile today. It's a show about space travel, but more grounded in reality and something that could be happening today or in the very near future. First time I've seen this kind of show.

It's really about the two main characters and how obssesed they are about making it to the moon, and we get to see their progression in their careers and lives.

Also, these is quite a bit of sex in this show. It was probably done to make the characters look more "bad ass," but I don't personally think it was necessary.

Overall it was a good show. Although it's screaming for a second season, but that's probably why "Season 1" is plastered in the opening sequence. It seems as if a second season was made, but I don't know what the chances are of it being released here in the US, which is a shame.[/QUOTE]

I agree with your sentiments; I thought it was a good show overall. I thought the show was at its best during the parts in space or about space. Those sex scenes you were talking about threw me off at first and eventually they really seem superfluous—I mean it happens quite often. It's a shame most of the women are merely objects for sex instead of actual human beings.

Yeah, Funimation needs to license the second season and bring it over here; the first season ends right in the middle of the damn story, so I am quite curious about how the rest of the show will play out.

Oh, and I wanted to mention that the title screen and the way it appears is amazing. I love the imagery, style, and contrast of the title; also, the music playing in the background really brings it all together.

Moonlight Mile Opening

So apparantly my college's anime club finally decided to actually watch anime! :O So I went today and they showed the first episode of Baccano. That was the most random not-comedic anime ever. Honestly, I STILL not show what I watched. Honestly, all I remember is The Flying Pussyfoot and this dude getting his fingers cut off... or not.

[quote name='Chronis']So apparantly my college's anime club finally decided to actually watch anime! :O So I went today and they showed the first episode of Baccano. That was the most random not-comedic anime ever. Honestly, I STILL not show what I watched. Honestly, all I remember is The Flying Pussyfoot and this dude getting his fingers cut off... or not.[/QUOTE]

Baccano is great, stick with it!

So, I've finally got the motivation to read Monster.

My 2-year old niece was visiting us, and while I was getting some work done she was pulling some books off my shelf and asking my mother to read them to her. One of these is a volume of Monster, which she demands my mother read to her. So she reads aloud:
The real Johan (somebody) died when he was 2 years old.
So now that I've heard what is probably a big spoiler, I've got to get this series over with.

it's not THAT big of a spoiler. you'll be ok.

good job on reading it because the anime drags a bit.

in other news i'm just about done with the last of hajime no ippo so it's time to figure out my next move. i've got law of ueki since someone recommended it.

if i can't figure out anything else to do i could always go catch up on bleach, one piece, naruto, and reborn.

I just finished watching the last episode of Kanamemo. Wow, that show is fantastic. Most of the time it had me laughing because the show is full of great humor. This is definitely one of my favorite anime series and I absolutely recommend it if you like comedies.

bread's done
Back