Anime: If you know ANYTHING ABOUT IT, get in here NOW!!!!!

Full Metal Panic/Full Metal Panic Fumoffu/ Full Metal Panic The Second Raid
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Last Exile
Voices of a Distant Star/The Place Promised in Our Early Days (Shinkai Collec.)

This is pretty much everything that I own, and it's all awesome. I recommend that you do the same.

Half-hearted recommendation: Yugo the Negotiator (something different)

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']There is a difference between lazy and watching good Anime. When Anime is not released in the US, how are you going to watch it without reading subs, and yes there is some Anime that is worth the subs for (Black Lagoon season 2 is a perfect example, as well as Monster which is also a fantastic series not released in the US).[/quote]

Oh my god, Monster is something sent from god himself.
I've been saying that for a year now.
But I wouldn't recommend that to him, since he's just getting into anime. Monster's a little too serious.
You need to be able to appreciate how fantastic it is.
The manga is out in the U.S., and that's just as good.

[quote name='Megalith']All anime is self-gratifying rubbish, except Kenshin OVA.[/quote]

So true.. Kenshin > everything else.

Also Noir and Aioshi No Cerese

[quote name='ninja dog']-bible black
-lets meow meow[/quote]
Yeah, that's great if he's looking for hentai.

I already saw Outlaw Star mentioned, so I'll second that.
Blue Sub Six
Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team (note: there are 4 or 5 different gundam universes, this series as well as the original Mobile Suit Gundam, 0080 War in the Pocket, 0083 Stardust Memory, and Char's Counterattack all take place in the UC continuity, the best of the bunch IMO. I think the gundam webpage is still www.gundamofficial.com if you're interested in giant fighting robots)

[quote name='Pirate331']Yeah, that's great if he's looking for hentai.
[/QUOTE]

No it's not. Let's Meow Meow is a game, not an anime. It'd be crappy as a hentai tho, because you barely even jizz on your cats. I'd recommend Night Shift Nurses instead for the poop scenes.

Hey guys, mostly looking to get complete series not a million bucks. This is what i've found on rightstuf.com based on recommendations and price:

Big O $25
Big O 2 $25
Blue Seed Complete Series $20
Cowboy Bebop Complete Series $45
FullMetal Alechemist 4, and set 5-7 (i noly have the first three): $8+$25
Hellsing Complete Series $30

Did i miss any other cheap ones? Which of these are best/worst? (i'm keeping FMA)

OP updated.

[quote name='Vinny']Why is this thread, about anime, in the general GAMING section?:whistle2:?[/quote]

Honestly, becuase i wanted it to get attention i didn't know where else to put it

[quote name='the_punisher']Hey guys, mostly looking to get complete series not a million bucks.[/quote]
Looking at rightstuf, you can have the complete set (13episodes + the 'movie' which adds a little extra sceneage between a few of the later episodes) of 08th MS Team for about $45 new, or you can get all 4 volumes without the 'movie' for about $25 used at estarland.. if they were in stock. I second your choice of Big O as well; I enjoyed that series too.

As far as money goes, you may want to just download a few episodes of anything that strikes your fancy before you commit hard currency to a full set of something you might end up not liking... kinda like how I bought 0080 War in the Pocket thinking it'd be as good as 08th Team based on seeing the first 5 minutes of the first episode. Hint: I was mistaken.

Of that list, my favorite was Hellsing. You'll see a bunch of recommendations from people to see Cowboy Bebop because A. OMG IT'S SO STYLISH or B. Tahts Teh Onlie Anime Ive Evar Seen! You might as well get it out of the way if you've got the money to blow. Big O was decent, but I would not recommend it to anyone starting out on watching a bunch of anime. Don't bother with Blue Seed.

FYI, Hellsing Ultimate is different than Hellsing. But the original Hellsing (what you'd be getting) is just fine too.

Hellsing Ultimate from what I've heard is a more manga following adaptation through OAV's, albeit with much much higher production values.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']War in the Pocket is wicked good. Better than 8th Ms Team, and I really enjoyed 8th MS Team.[/quote]
War in the Pocket was five and a half episodes of that kid whining about one thing or another, and half an episode of actual mecha combat. It had a few 'deep' moments, but everything after the artic base raid, and up to the NT1 assault was a waste of my evening, IMO. 0080 can make some excuses by being the first series produced after the original, but 08th Team still did everything 0080 did only better.

OP, I just remembered Tekkaman Blade (might find it as 'technoman' from the American run) was fairly entertaining. Tenchi Muyo and Tenchi Universe are pretty good too.

[quote name='Pirate331']War in the Pocket was five and a half episodes of that kid whining about one thing or another, and half an episode of actual mecha combat. It had a few 'deep' moments, but everything after the artic base raid, and up to the NT1 assault was a waste of my evening, IMO. 0080 can make some excuses by being the first series produced after the original, but 08th Team still did everything 0080 did only better.[/QUOTE]
I love mecha combat, but seeing as how it wasn't the point of 0080 complaining about the lack of it is kind of pointless. It was meant to show the horrors of war, especially in how it destroys the innocence that Al once had. I think it did a very good job of that. Also Al probably whined less than a lot of career pilots in the Gundam universe. I'm looking at you Kou Uraki. Hell, he whined less than Shiro did and at least Al had an excuse. He was a kid not a trained soldier picked to lead a squad into battle (I'm not bashing 8th in any way).

I don't think 8th did everything 0080 did better. They covered the same general theme, but put the focus on two different perspectives. 0080 looked at civilian life, and 8th looked at the soldiers. Not to say they both didn't touch on the other, but it's clear where the focus was.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I love mecha combat, but seeing as how it wasn't the point of 0080 complaining about the lack of it is kind of pointless. It was meant to show the horrors of war, especially in how it destroys the innocence that Al once had. I think it did a very good job of that. Also Al probably whined less than a lot of career pilots in the Gundam universe. I'm looking at you Kou Uraki. Hell, he whined less than Shiro did and at least Al had an excuse. He was a kid not a trained soldier picked to lead a squad into battle (I'm not bashing 8th in any way).

I don't think 8th did everything 0080 did better. They covered the same general theme, but put the focus on two different perspectives. 0080 looked at civilian life, and 8th looked at the soldiers. Not to say they both didn't touch on the other, but it's clear where the focus was.[/QUOTE]

I actually think 0080 was not so good. The kid did bug the hell out of me and was very unlikeable. Many gundam series have a similar problem, but the kid was extremely annoying in 0080.

Is there anything you guys can recommend that's like Naruto Shippuuden .. with cool fight scenes and odd characters with even weirder abilities?

[quote name='Maklershed']Is there anything you guys can recommend that's like Naruto Shippuuden .. with cool fight scenes and odd characters with even weirder abilities?[/quote]

Try HunterXHunter.

Hey guys, i have $60 left. I'm probably going to buy FMA Vol. 4, and box set 5-7, which leaves me with ~$30 left. Which of these is best (all from rightstuf.com sales, including 40% off promo):

Blue Seed Series: $20
Hellsing Series: $30
One Piece Series: $30
Big O: $21 for one season, $42 for both
Cowboy Bebop Series: $27
Outlaw Star Series: $27

Let me know.

Bebop - mercenaries in space
Hellsing - vampires in Europe

Your choice. I'd probably say go with Bebop, even though I liked it less. :X

i'll just mention some highly recommended shows not to watch IMO

Hellsing
Trigun (yes i said it, i don't know why people like this show)
Full Metal Panic (i did like fumoffu though)
Gungrave

[quote name='tehweezner']i'll just mention some highly recommended shows not to watch IMO

Hellsing
Gungrave[/quote]

You clearly know nothing about anime, so this topic isn't for you. :)

[quote name='tehweezner']i'll just mention some highly recommended shows not to watch IMO

Hellsing
Gungrave[/quote]

Which Hellsing are you talking about? The so-so anime or the kickass OVAs?

I would highly recommend at least trying out the 1st season of Full Metal Panic. After that if you liked the comedy elements more then the action elements, go grab Fumoffu. And if you enjoyed the action go grab FMP: 2nd Raid. And I'll throw a recommendation for Black Lagoon out there. Over the top action, girls with guns and pirates.... whats not to like about that?

[quote name='DarkSageRK']You clearly know nothing about anime, so this topic isn't for you. :)[/quote]

He's got a good point on some of those. There are quite a few shows that get more clout in the community than they are worth. I have to agree with all of those choices, though I personally enjoyed 3 of the 4 (I haven't seen FMP).

That said, with Geneon out of the distribution picture, I don't know if Trigun or Gungrave would be worth the price. Hellsing is worth the $30 it's running for at Rightstuf right now, but I don't think I'd ever watch it more than once.

[quote name='Pirate331']Looking at rightstuf, you can have the complete set (13episodes + the 'movie' which adds a little extra sceneage between a few of the later episodes) of 08th MS Team for about $45 new, or you can get all 4 volumes without the 'movie' for about $25 used at estarland.. if they were in stock. I second your choice of Big O as well; I enjoyed that series too.

As far as money goes, you may want to just download a few episodes of anything that strikes your fancy before you commit hard currency to a full set of something you might end up not liking... kinda like how I bought 0080 War in the Pocket thinking it'd be as good as 08th Team based on seeing the first 5 minutes of the first episode. Hint: I was mistaken.[/QUOTE]

What the fuck? Rightstuf is the worst place to find prices on stuff.

I think DVDPacific has the 08th MS team set for like $28 new or something.

[quote name='thelonepig']He's got a good point on some of those. There are quite a few shows that get more clout in the community than they are worth. I have to agree with all of those choices, though I personally enjoyed 3 of the 4 (I haven't seen FMP).

That said, with Geneon out of the distribution picture, I don't know if Trigun or Gungrave would be worth the price. Hellsing is worth the $30 it's running for at Rightstuf right now, but I don't think I'd ever watch it more than once.[/QUOTE]

Bah... Hellsing is good. Trigun is absolutely terrible... it's been like 6 years since I first watched that show and Vash still annoys the hell out of me.

[quote name='thelonepig']He's got a good point on some of those. There are quite a few shows that get more clout in the community than they are worth. I have to agree with all of those choices, though I personally enjoyed 3 of the 4 (I haven't seen FMP).[/quote]

They're solid titles that are worth watching.

That scrub just acted like they're terrible shows. :/

Rightstuf isn't bad, BTW. When I picked up my Haruhi LEs, they were the ones who had the lowest prices. NOT DvdPacific.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Rightstuf isn't bad, BTW. When I picked up my Haruhi LEs, they were the ones who had the lowest prices. NOT DvdPacific.[/quote]

Rightstuf is excellent. I have never purchased anything from them that wasn't either on their weekly special list or part of an existing sale though. Cowboy Bebop, for example, is $45 normally IIRC. It's been on sale for $30 and less several times over the last few months.

But yeah, RSI is an excellent place to spend your money.

Yeah, Rightstuf is a pretty good place to order from. I tend to use them when they have a sale or weekly special. I even spent the $5 on that got anime card for the extra 10% off of normal orders(Or 6% when the item is on sale).

Hellsing
Gungrave[/QUOTE]

Hellsing t.v isn't worth watching i'll agree on that, Helling Ultimate is though
Trigun is a poor man's rurouni kenshin, entire thing came off like a poor rip off without any of the deep meaning RK had.
Haven't seen FMP
Gungrave........ Are you high?! That series was great, baffling I know since it was based on a game but it was one of the more emotional shows i've seen in awhile, those that played the games know what is coming but it still is brutal when it happens.

Edit: As much as I love Rightstuf for weekly specials I agree, isn't really a place I would buy from otherwise. I find it cheaper to either buy off ebay or use dvd price search for the best prices. RS is my last choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='coolsteel']Hellsing t.v isn't worth watching i'll agree on that, Helling Ultimate is though
Trigun is a poor man's rurouni kenshin, entire thing came off like a poor rip off without any of the deep meaning RK had.
Haven't seen FMP
Gungrave........ Are you high?! That series was great, baffling I know since it was based on a game but it was one of the more emotional shows i've seen in awhile, those that played the games know what is coming but it still is brutal when it happens.

Edit: As much as I love Rightstuf for weekly specials I agree, isn't really a place I would buy from otherwise. I find it cheaper to either buy off ebay or use dvd price search for the best prices. RS is my last choice.[/QUOTE]

Hellsing the normal series was good for as long as it followed the manga then it just became crap.
Trigun Manga is much cooler and doesn't have that lame ending .
I liked the Gungrave game ending better, but the flashbacks and such were well done in the anime.

Are you trying to watch the FMA movie without finishing the series first?

Also: I think you're buying WAY too much stuff all at the same time without getting a feeling for your anime tastes. Slow down a little bit. Watch one series and report back here with your thoughts so we can help you better. Right now people are just throwing out anime they like which doesn't guarantee that you will like it at all.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']
That scrub just acted like they're terrible shows. :/
[/quote]

they're not terrible shows, they're just not that good IMO to warrant primary recommendations every time someone asks about anime.

if a male new to anime asked me for something to watch, i'd give one of these depending on what their interests were:

Blood: The Last Vampire or Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (action + violence, ... and vampires coincidentally)
Death Note (great first series, clever and addictive)
Cowboy Bebop the Movie (no explanation necessary)
Azumanga Daioh (funny, introduction to anime humor and school-life)
Ah my Goddess (magical girls, harem, shy guys, romance, humor, etc..)
Hikaru no Go (quality shonen; also can you handle watching a show about board games?)

one thing all those have in common is good animation and character designs which is very important. i'd replace Hikaru no Go with Hajime no Ippo, but Ippo looks rather dated

[quote name='SeanAmI122886']Hellsing the normal series was good for as long as it followed the manga then it just became crap.
Trigun Manga is much cooler and doesn't have that lame ending .
I liked the Gungrave game ending better, but the flashbacks and such were well done in the anime.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree about Hellsing but since Ultimate covers that I don't see the point of watching the t.v series at all anymore. I tried to follow the Trigun manga but the art was a huge turn off.

[quote name='thelonepig']Rightstuf is excellent. I have never purchased anything from them that wasn't either on their weekly special list or part of an existing sale though. Cowboy Bebop, for example, is $45 normally IIRC. It's been on sale for $30 and less several times over the last few months.

But yeah, RSI is an excellent place to spend your money.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they've got some good weekly specials every now and then, but if you just wanna go and buy something, chances are it's going to be $27 or so for a DVD. That's ridiculous.

OK. I decided to get Gungrave. Also, i have an order for Cowboy Bebop and FMA 4-7 $63 total. They will hold it for me for two weeks, giving me time to decide if i want it, and to get some extra money. Other than that, i really don't have much. I don't want to go TOO FAST here. Still, i'm looking on CAG for good deals, and i got one for Avatar and YuYu Hakasho.

I kinda gave up on anime, due to the absurd amount of stuff coming out. I still buy masterpieces like Tekkontikreet though :) I'm not sure what Avatar's about, but I was under the impression it was for 11yo's, and was American animation crap. Check out Deepdiscountdvd.com for the cheapest prices usually along with their bi-annual 20% off sales, and RightStuf usually has big publisher sales, with GotAnime discounts ever week or so.

My favorite series ever is:

12 Kingdoms

You can get both boxsets for a total of $60 online now, and will have about a week's worth to watch if you're hardcore. After that I'd suggest:

X (tv)
Rahxephon
FLCL
Berserk
Hakkenden Dog Warriors
Samurai Champloo
Lain
Claymore
Basilisk
Evangelion

as for movies, you can't go wrong with Studio Ghibli. (Nausicaa, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, etc.)

Vampire Hunter D is a must have, the newer one, but the original is good too :) Ninja Scroll, Dead Leaves, Cat Soup, even Street Fighter Alpha was pretty badass!

gl

[quote name='drone8888']I'm not sure what Avatar's about, but I was under the impression it was for 11yo's, and was American animation crap.[/quote]

I was under the same impression, but gave it a try when a friend suggested it to me. Avatar is far better than most of the anime that has come out for the last few years and is well worth the money and time.

[quote name='thelonepig']I was under the same impression, but gave it a try when a friend suggested it to me. Avatar is far better than most of the anime that has come out for the last few years and is well worth the money and time.[/QUOTE]

I will second this, Avatar impressed me more then a lot of anime i've seen

Avatar was pretty decent. Check it out on Nick or X-Box Live. I thought the DVD boxsets were a little to expensive.

Hopefully Monster sees a DVD release in the near future.
Along with HunterxHunter.
Chacrana informed me last night that they were both licensed by VIZ now.

My god, I can't wait.
Those shows are fucking incredible.
Two of my favorite animes... ever.

good anime: Cowboy bebop, jin king of bandits, trigun, Ergo proxy, Choro crusade, Monster, goast in a shell, FMA, outlaw star, eureak seven, record of lodus wars, the first few seasons of robotech

Hit or miss: Kiba, code geass, flcl, noir, bleach, any gundam, 100 stories, rurouni kenshin, Initial D, Scrapped princess, Yu Yu Hakusho Vol, HunterxHunter, Gungrave

good but wierd or lame ending: lain, Evangelion, death note, last exile, paranoi agency, FMA movie, Samurai Champloo, Berserk, wolf's reing

Cowboy Bebop

It basically blows away any other anime you'll see. It has some of the most charming characters from your misunderstood bad girl to your seemingly typical crazy and fun kid character, a very realized style, and a nice subtle humor to it. Everything about it, the dub, the animation, the art, story, and even the music is great.

What can I say 40's fashion meets the future, it's pretty badass.

(oh, and how is this video game related?)

bread's done
Back