Anime is teh suck (but really... what do you watch?)

pumbaa

CAGiversary!
Actually... Anime is awesome. Name your fave series, cause I know you guys watch anime dammit!!! Also... no spoilers I suppose... just in case someone wants to watch something you just suggested.

As for me, Cowboy Bebop is such an amazing series. I love it... the music, the characters, the story lines. Every episode is golden... and chock full of goodness. The series as a whole balances drama and comedy excellently, I truly felt for the characters in many of the episodes. The movie was awesome as well. It was my first anime (and the only one I've watch completely thus far).

So... go on and make some recommendations.

Anime is teh suck....oh wait you already said that. Well I guess my work is done here.

But put on your hard helmet because your about to be bombarded by Naruto fanatics, unless of course they are alseep already.

Oh and I liked the Ghost in the Shell movies and Vandread was funny.

[quote name='kaji7p56']Gungrave.[/quote]

I can't second this enough...A fantastic series that I didn't originally expect to be anything special. You should enjoy this if you liked bebop, though there isn't as much comedy, tons of excellent action and drama though.

I always enjoyed Evangelion (puts up flame shield) although it's hardly new. Actually, most of the anime I like is fairly old, even in the US. Fullmetal Alchemist is cool but I'd rather be watching Project A-ko for the millionth time, or Kimagure Orange Road.

One Piece!!
Naruto.
Full Metal Alchemist.
and just recently getting into,
Chobits.
Chrono Crusade.
and
Love Hina.

heard good things about,
Samurai Champloo.
Prince of Tennis. (ugh, i hate tennis)
Rurouni Kenshin.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell'][quote name='kaji7p56']Gungrave.[/quote]

I can't second this enough...A fantastic series that I didn't originally expect to be anything special. You should enjoy this if you liked bebop, though there isn't asmuch comedy, tons of excellent action and drama though.[/quote]

Most people don't expect much from this one. I didn't think it would be good and then...BOOM you're hooked. It's kind of anti-anime, at least what most people think anime is. It has a great plot, deep character development, and great atmosphere. There are no "power-ups" or seizure-inducing backgrounds or character's with big eyes saying stupid crap. When people get shot, they DIE, they don't stand around for 20 minutes talking shit. Friends of mine who don't like anime loved Gungrave. It's like an animated Godfather or Sopranos.

Can anyone reconmend any anime that is similar to ninja scroll and the berserk series? Both of those amazed me, especially the berserk series. I love the swod fighting animes with lots of blood :twisted:

As far as series go I like (and own) Bebop, Eva, FLCL, Hellsing, Texhnolyze, and Trigun. Currently waiting for my Samurai Champloo and Lain set to show up.

Cowboy Bebop is and will forever be my favorite Anime series, I've yet to see a better series and Yoko Kanno (music) hasn't done anything better than Bebop (I own almost all her work, by far bebop was her best).

Series/Movies I recommend:

Ghost in the shell: Stand Alone complex (get the sound track, it's great)
Ghost in the Shel 2: Innocense (Movie) (Good but not enough of the major)
Last Exile
Onegai Teacher (love drama)
Inuyasha (long series but good)
Dragon Ball Z (Just Z, I hated GT)
Dragon Ball
Read or Die
Lain (techy drama)
Naruto (It's worshiped by tons of animephiles, good series)
Full Metal Alchemist
Wolfs Rain
.hack//sign
FLCL (take a look at my sig/avatar..huge fan..you must watch and if you like rock/punk get the OST)
Outlaw Star
pilot candidate
HellSing
Trigun
Vampire Hunter D (Movie)
inital D
Gundam Wing
Gundam Seed
oh my goodess (teen drama)
Evangelion
kite (Movie)
Lupin the 3rd (old but good)
Tenchi Muyo
Witch Hunter Robin

That's just the top of my head, theres tons of more great series/movies.

[quote name='TheMoor']Can anyone reconmend any anime that is similar to ninja scroll and the berserk series? Both of those amazed me, especially the berserk series. I love the swod fighting animes with lots of blood :twisted:[/quote]

hmm samurai/ninja type animes aren't my thing, but I did enjoy the hell of Rurouni Kenshin, it's not as extreme as Beserk or Ninja scroll but it has it's moments.

Texhnolyze, Boogiepop Phantom, Naruto, Wolf's Rain. Those are my favorites. And Princess Mononoke is my favorite movie.

I'll be seeing Akira (movie), Outlaw Star, Serial Experiments Lain, FMA, FLCL, Paranoia Agent, Narutaru, Big O, Bleach, and all of Trigun soon enough.

Also, if you haven't seen Trigun you should, since you liked Cowboy Bebop. I would second Rurouni Kenshin as well.

[quote name='kaji7p56'][quote name='Duo_Maxwell'][quote name='kaji7p56']Gungrave.[/quote]

I can't second this enough...A fantastic series that I didn't originally expect to be anything special. You should enjoy this if you liked bebop, though there isn't asmuch comedy, tons of excellent action and drama though.[/quote]

Most people don't expect much from this one. I didn't think it would be good and then...BOOM you're hooked. It's kind of anti-anime, at least what most people think anime is. It has a great plot, deep character development, and great atmosphere. There are no "power-ups" or seizure-inducing backgrounds or character's with big eyes saying stupid crap. When people get shot, they DIE, they don't stand around for 20 minutes talking shit. Friends of mine who don't like anime loved Gungrave. It's like an animated Godfather or Sopranos.[/quote]

Agreed, I oringally watched from the fact that I thought the game was fun but I beat the game in a little over an hour. So I was thinking to myself how can they pull a whole series out of a game I beat in an hour and not make it redunant. I was way off, because like you said it has perhaps some of the deepest character devlopment ever andthe story flows great. And speaking of Trigun, for anyone who liked that, Gungrave is from the same creator.

[quote name='x0thedeadzone0x']Texhnolyze, Boogiepop Phantom, Naruto, Wolf's Rain. Those are my favorites. And Princess Mononoke is my favorite movie.

I'll be seeing Akira (movie), Outlaw Star, Serial Experiments Lain, FMA, FLCL, Paranoia Agent, Narutaru, Big O, Bleach, and all of Trigun soon enough.

Also, if you haven't seen Trigun you should, since you liked Cowboy Bebop. I would second Rurouni Kenshin as well.[/quote]

You have never seen Akira?? For shame... But I'll also second DZ's selection Texhnolyze because it's usually overlooked by alot of people.

And finally for serious decent ninja/samurai with a little violence, there's the obvious Ninja Scroll TV series (though not as violent as the movie), the Rourni Kenshin OVAs specifically (called Samuari X in the states here), there's also Samurai Deeper Kyo though I can't recommend it, though not all that violent I think Samruai Champloo is fromt he same creator as Cowboy Bebop, also try Peacemaker. Oh yeah and while it's not anime do yourself a favor and read the Blade of the Immortal series, trust me you won't be disappointed.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell'][quote name='x0thedeadzone0x']Texhnolyze, Boogiepop Phantom, Naruto, Wolf's Rain. Those are my favorites. And Princess Mononoke is my favorite movie.

Also, if you haven't seen Trigun you should, since you liked Cowboy Bebop. I would second Rurouni Kenshin as well.[/quote]

You have never seen Akira?? For shame... But I'll also second DZ's selection Texhnolyze because it's usually overlooked by alot of people.

And finally for serious decent ninja/samurai with a little violence, there's the obvious Ninja Scroll TV series (though not as violent as the movie), the Rourni Kenshin OVAs specifically (called Samuari X in the states here), there's also Samurai Deeper Kyo though I can't recommend it, though not all that violent I think Samruai Champloo is fromt he same creator as Cowboy Bebop, also try Peacemaker. Oh yeah and while it's not anime do yourself a favor and read the Blade of the Immortal series, trust me you won't be disappointed.[/quote]

Meh, no huge interest in Akira from some of the things I've heard about it. I'll get to it eventually, though.

And as for SDK... I know some people who like it, but I personally hated the anime. They fucked up so many things in it. The manga is MUCH, MUCH better. I would recommend that instead.

Fullmetal Alchemist...No doubt about it. The story is definitely awesome, and it helps that it's one of the few animes where the story is tightly woven into it to it like it is. I love it.

Second place would definitely fall on Naruto. It's got great action, and I love the characters. The only thing is the story isn't as good as FMA's.

Others that I really like are Bleach, Rurouni Kenshin, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Inuyasha, Hikaru no Go, and Samurai Champloo.

[quote name='karsh']Fullmetal Alchemist...No doubt about it. The story is definitely awesome, and it helps that it's one of the few animes where the story is tightly woven into it to it like it is. I love it.

Second place would definitely fall on Naruto. It's got great action, and I love the characters. The only thing is the story isn't as good as FMA's.

Others that I really like are Bleach, Rurouni Kenshin, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Inuyasha, Hikaru no Go, and Samurai Champloo.[/quote]

Where's .Hack, eh? Fantasy settings and swords overwhelming you at the moment? :p

naruto is awesome i just started to watch it again and i've seen both ghost in the shell stand alone complex, and 2nd gig, which by the way is an awesome show except sometimes the show could be all talk and no action. I just recently started to get into hajime no ippo or fighting spirit and i can't get enough of it! I downloaded every single episode and both ova movies and just found out that its not even finished. I just wish it gets picked up again for a second season but doubt that will happen considering that hardly anyone even knows what the show is about

[quote name='x0thedeadzone0x'][quote name='karsh']Fullmetal Alchemist...No doubt about it. The story is definitely awesome, and it helps that it's one of the few animes where the story is tightly woven into it to it like it is. I love it.

Others that I really like are Bleach, Rurouni Kenshin, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Inuyasha, Hikaru no Go, and Samurai Champloo.[/quote]

Where's .Hack, eh? Fantasy settings and swords overwhelming you at the moment? :p[/quote]

I knew I forgot something. Though I wouldn't but HikaGo in either fantsay or swords. :wink:

[quote name='Mex25']naruto is awesome i just started to watch it again and i've seen both ghost in the shell stand alone complex, and 2nd gig, which by the way is an awesome show except sometimes the show could be all talk and no action. I just recently started to get into hajime no ippo or fighting spirit and i can't get enough of it! I downloaded every single episode and both ova movies and just found out that its not even finished. I just wish it gets picked up again for a second season but doubt that will happen considering that hardly anyone even knows what the show is about[/quote]

I'm really interested in when [as] gets to the end of the first season of SAC. From what I've read, it sounds like the end of the Laughing Man story gets awesome.

Gasuraki was pretty good even though it started kind of slow. If you like anime that builds and takes it's time to set mood then this is for you.

I am in love with The Guyver. The emotional weight of its story is powerful enough to survive two crappy localization jobs and one bad U.S. film, the sequel to which was actually pretty enjoyable.

My favorite anime series' include Naruto, Samurai 7, Bleach, FullMetal Alchemist, Xenosaga, Cowboy Bebop, G Gundam and .hack//SIGN. Most of what I'm watching right now is Japan-only, so it's still ongoing.

A lot of you already mentioned some of my faves, so I won't repost. But I noticed no one mentioned Fruits Basket or Fushigi Yuugi. I personally found both these series very enjoyable!

Excel Saga
Cardcaptor Sakura
Steel Angel Kurumi [series 2 was kinda Meh.]
Full Metal Panic [I liked this better than NGE]
R.O.D. [movie and series, haven't seen the movie yet]
A Wind Named Amnesia [movie-postapocalypse]
Kiki's Delivery Service [my favorite of the Miyazakis, very positive and family friendly, and easy to get into]
Sakura Diaries [try to find the 'collector's edition' which has previously cut scenes and a better/different translation]
Maison Ikkoku

[quote name='x0thedeadzone0x'][quote name='Duo_Maxwell'][quote name='x0thedeadzone0x']Texhnolyze, Boogiepop Phantom, Naruto, Wolf's Rain. Those are my favorites. And Princess Mononoke is my favorite movie.

And finally for serious decent ninja/samurai with a little violence, there's the obvious Ninja Scroll TV series (though not as violent as the movie), the Rourni Kenshin OVAs specifically (called Samuari X in the states here), there's also Samurai Deeper Kyo though I can't recommend it, though not all that violent I think Samruai Champloo is fromt he same creator as Cowboy Bebop, also try Peacemaker. Oh yeah and while it's not anime do yourself a favor and read the Blade of the Immortal series, trust me you won't be disappointed.[/quote]

Meh, no huge interest in Akira from some of the things I've heard about it. I'll get to it eventually, though.

And as for SDK... I know some people who like it, but I personally hated the anime. They shaq-fued up so many things in it. The manga is MUCH, MUCH better. I would recommend that instead.[/quote]

Actually I basically agree with you, I didn't so much enjoy Kyo's series either, that's why I didn't exactly recommend it. i was just stretching for samurai action anime. Wasn't a huge fan of the manga either (though it was decent), though I was spoiled by reading Blade of the Immortal first.

Also, speaking of fantasy anime, Record of Lodoss War is a great one even if it just a anime twist on Lord of the Rings.

On reviewing my Netflix history, I remember
Princess Nine was another series I rather enjoyed, even though i'm not a huge basebal fan.

well, my fav...that would have to be a tie between Robotech (the first series, the other Macross series have nothing to do w/ the original story line) and Elfen Lied.

Actually, Naruto is my current on-going favorite, but I figure i'd let others get some limelite.

I've never really watched much anime, but:

Dirty Pair OVA
Gunsmith Cats

Yeah, I really don't watch much... ^^

Wow where was I, time to list my animes in no particular order.
NEON GENISIS EVANGELION (GODLIKE)
Anything with the words Gundam in it (SD and G excluded)
Steel Angel Kurumi
FLCL
Excel Saga
Bebop
Outlaw Star
.hack//sign, //dusk, the games
Burn Up Excess
Full Metal Alchemist
Comic Party
Megaman (old school I know and not really anime but I still consider it one)
Chobits (only the manga, hated the anime)
Love Hina
Samurai X
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Cardcaptors (dear to my heart)
And many many many more.

if youre looking for something like cowboy bebop, try samurai champloo, the story progresses similarly and has a lot in common with it since its by the same director... it's not in space tho

if youre looking for something like berserk, GANTZ has an obscene amount of violence that probably tops anything except the last episode of berserk, but the setting is present day, nothing mideival... also check out elfen lied, it's kinda like chobits (cute little girl that isnt completely human) that randomly freaks out and decapitates people with invisible arms that come out her back

full metal alchemist is a totally great anime, as well as mai hime, grenadier (fanservice + trigun), and tenjou tenge (fanservice and violence, plus the greatest intro song evar)

DBZ
DB
DBGT
Naruto
Prince of Tennis
GitS
Lupin the Third
Wolf's Rain
Rurouni Kenshin
Yu Yu Hakusho
Big O (barely)
Inuyasha
Super Milk Chan
Trigun
FLCL
Cowboy Bebop
FMA
Beet the Vandel Hunter
Ultimate Muscle
Shaman King
F-Zero GP Legend
One Piece
any Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli film
and more

Ranma 1/2 (Funniest animated show I ever saw)
Big O (The only anime with a big ass robot/mech that I like)
Nightwarriors: Darkstalkers Revenge (I wasn't expecting much of this and I found it to be really good)
Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture (I liked this so much I made a music vid with it)
Dirty Pair (probably the first anime I ever saw)
Inuyasha
Lupin
Cowboy Bebop
Rurouni Kenshin
New Cutey Honey
FLCL
ROD

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Excel Saga
Cowboy Bebop
Full Metal Alchemist
Burn Up Excess
Burn Up Scramble
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
Super Milk-Chan

That's all I can think of right now.

Trigun, Chobits, Sakura Diaries, Maison Ikkokou and the original dragonball series. I personally thought neon genesis sucked. I can understand how people could riot over the bad ending.

full metal alchemist
mega man
ruroni kenshin
samiura x
inyuasha
yu yu hakshou- best dam anime ever made you bastards
cowboy beboop
dragon ball z
gundam 08th ms team- never liked gundam but dam was it deep

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell'][quote name='xenoman80']anyone ever heard of full metal panic? is it related to full metal alchemist?[/quote]

Yes and No[/quote] can you get a litle specific?

bread's done
Back