Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
On a random note, my brother still has the perfect sessions DVD box set of Bebop from many moons ago and it still looks great, lol.
While I'll probably get the Cowboy Bebop set from Amazon too, you're absolutely right, that Perfect Sessions DVD set still holds up very well.

Maybe someone here with a vast knowledge of anime/manga could shed some light on a title I recall checking out many years ago. In fact, I can't quite recall if it was a manga or anime...friends would let me borrow so much of their manga/anime that some of it just blurs together. But does anyone know of an anime and/or manga about a girl who dresses up in a maid costume to fight crime, kind of like a super hero or magical girl?

So torn on that Bebop set. I am almost finished collecting the original sessions on DVD and now this gets announced. Not sure if upgrading is worth it unless there are some killer special features. At the same time Amazon's special edition doesn't really interest me save for the art box. Maybe Funi will bring out the soundtracks or something. 

But does anyone know of an anime and/or manga about a girl who dresses up in a maid costume to fight crime, kind of like a super hero or magical girl?
That describes a few dozen hentai. :p

As far as normal titles go, it sounds like Mahoromatic, though Mahoro was merely a retired battle android, not a superhero.

DVD Planet has a handful of anime titles on sale for more than 50% off:

Heaven's Lost Property Season 2 (Anime Classics) - $21.99 - http://www.dvdplanet.com/buy/bluray/heavens-lost-property-forte-season-2-classic_2785055

Leviathan (Blu-ray) - $28.75 - http://www.dvdplanet.com/buy/bluray/leviathan-complete_2763777

Mayou (Blu-ray) - $28.71 - http://www.dvdplanet.com/buy/bluray/maoyu-complete_2763830

They also have all the Fairy Tail sets for just over $30, including Part 11 and the Collections.

They also have the UK editions of Nisemonogatari (Region B) for $35.

I also have the Limited Edition Perfect sessions box set if anyone is interested. It's pretty beat up(bought it used for 6 bucks) but the discs are in good condition.

Female magical girls in maid costumes that fight crime? Like Tokyo Mew Mew? Mahoro kinda fits that description, but it's not magical girl.
As far as normal titles go, it sounds like Mahoromatic, though Mahoro was merely a retired battle android, not a superhero.
Thanks! Both Tokyo Mew Mew and Mahoromatic sound familiar. I think with all the anime I was being persuaded to watch by friends, I may have been getting these two shows mixed together -- hence coming up with an amalgamation of the two.

how much are you looking to get for it?
I am probably going to try and get 20 for the set shipping is usually around $5 as I use usps express flat rate and ship in boxes with air packs. Also compared to most ebay auctions all the disc are in like new condition only the outer case plastic has any wear.

I am probably going to try and get 20 for the set shipping is usually around $5 as I use usps express flat rate and ship in boxes with air packs. Also compared to most ebay auctions all the disc are in like new condition only the outer case plastic has any wear.
hmmmm let me think about it.

i'm torn if you read my previous post. i have allmost all the original sessions but want this and the anime legends. ugh

Why do you want the old sets if you don't mind me asking? The remastered set looks much better than the old sets.
i like collecting old stuff. i like the cover art and the little mini inserts inside and the way they line up on the shelf. the quality really doesn't matter to me since they aren't redoing it just upscaling everything and taking away the grime. only thing that can sell me on the new set is if they include the soundtrack and if there are some killer commentaries and other such bonuses on disk

DVD Planet has a handful of anime titles on sale for more than 50% off:

Heaven's Lost Property Season 2 (Anime Classics) - $21.99 - http://www.dvdplanet.com/buy/bluray/heavens-lost-property-forte-season-2-classic_2785055

Leviathan (Blu-ray) - $28.75 - http://www.dvdplanet.com/buy/bluray/leviathan-complete_2763777

Mayou (Blu-ray) - $28.71 - http://www.dvdplanet.com/buy/bluray/maoyu-complete_2763830

They also have all the Fairy Tail sets for just over $30, including Part 11 and the Collections.

They also have the UK editions of Nisemonogatari (Region B) for $35.
Mayou good by any chance? I hear it's basically Spice and Wolf,but then I also hear they rush through the material as fast as they could which wasn't a good sign.

Anyone preorder attack on titan part 2 blu for a decent price yet?

It's 34 right now and aot part 1 was at its lowest-24.99 about a few weeks after it released so I'd say wait.

Aot part 1 jumped back to 28 on amazon however I believe bestbuy is still selling it for 24.

Mayou good by any chance? I hear it's basically Spice and Wolf,but then I also hear they rush through the material as fast as they could which wasn't a good sign.
I personally didn't care for Mayou. I bought it as a blind buy, being a fan of Spice and Wolf, and was honestly extremely disappointed with it. Spice and Wolf is far superior. That's my opinion on it at least.

I noticed that today's email from Viz for their digital manga releases shows Lucky Star, does anyone know when they picked up the license and if it's going to be digital only or if they're planning to continue past what Bandai released?

I noticed that today's email from Viz for their digital manga releases shows Lucky Star, does anyone know when they picked up the license and if it's going to be digital only or if they're planning to continue past what Bandai released?
I'm guessing Bandai's license for all of Lucky Star expired very recently since Funimation just licensed the anime and OVA.

So I came across this reddit posting regarding the Cowboy Bebop Blus: https://www.reddit.com/r/cowboybebop/comments/29jk10/read_me_cowboy_bebops_complete_original_release/

Is this legit?
These seem like very subtle changes to me. You can always "demix" and watch the old DVDs, lol.

I missed the Princess Jellyfish price drop on Amazon and now it's all sold out.
i was super lucky last year to get the princess jellyfish limited edition from amazon during a sale for $20 and i almost didnt buy it. i bought it in the end because i loved the series, but immediately after i bought it, it was pretty much out of print

For anyone who cares, the Super Sonico anime is getting a U.S. release via Sentai Filmworks on November 25th. I was hoping this would be coming soon and just spotted an advert for it. Looks like it's DVD only though, no mention of bluray anywhere. 

all this bebop blu ray talk is making me sad. hopefully none of it is true come release. one thing that has certainly held me off on buying the dbz blu rays is the fact that it looks like they took a highlighter to the series. piccolo especially looks like a sharpie green highlighter and each saiyan uniform is way too orange for its own good.

on another note i picked up bebop perfect sessions box set for 35 on ebay shipped. all 6 sessions minus the soundtrack (of course!) and the movie. box is basically brand new. a little wear on the corners and is numbered. now time to unload the first few sessions that I collected. don't know if they are worth anything at this point. may wait it out. if the bebop blu ray rumor is true then everyone will demix and go out hunting for the og series and ill be there waiting.

cag on

Just to chime in on Bebop, if it's true that the Blu-Ray uses the video from the Cowboy Bebop Remix dvd's then those changes mentioned are true. I dl that torrent and I have the Anime Legends version of Cowboy Bebop Remix on DVD. Haven't gone through the whole series to compare but I did take a look at episode (session) 5 and yep 30 seconds of additional scenery was removed. Going to go through it further later but just knowing even that little change makes me want to hunt down the original releases instead of spending money on the Blus. Jflooooooooo I think you bought the one I had my eye on earlier lol. 

I was wondering why this thread blew up about the Cowboy Bebop Blu-ray release. And here I just thought that you guys were excited for it to finally be coming out. After reading through everything, it's very unfortunate to learn that the Remix reissues/re-releases underwent such drastic changes. It makes me treasure my original DVDs even more, as they were some of the first I spent my money on after my first summer job back in high school (along with Kenshin and Escaflowne). I'm now rather hesitant to buy the Blu-ray release. I've seen rips of the Japanese release and while I've been impressed with the picture quality, if there are that many changes, especially in regards to the music, I'll probably wait to see if there are any physical goodies or if the artwork is nice (because superficial things like that matter to me when double-dipping) before I pull the trigger.

Where do you guys go for used anime?  I'm looking at getting the original gundam series and I'm looking at different used stores.  I picked up volumes 1, 3, and 10 from secondspin with a 30 % off coupon.  I also just ordered vol. 7 off of ebay for $11 after shipping.

I've pretty much used gohastings.com, secondspin, and ebay.  I don't have a lot in terms of physical stores.  Fye and Suncoast are gone.  I do have this disk replay store, but they don't get a lot of anime.  I also have a Half Price Books store, but their anime selection is limited as well.

I'm not really disappointed over the Bebop blus at all. I'm pretty psyched about them actually. The changes made to them aren't too extreme. The only ones that care in my opinion are purists. Not to mention that I had the remix DVD set to begin with...

I'm not really disappointed over the Bebop blus at all. I'm pretty psyched about them actually. The changes made to them aren't too extreme. The only ones that care in my opinion are purists. Not to mention that I had the remix DVD set to begin with...
Exactly how I feel.

Where do you guys go for used anime? I'm looking at getting the original gundam series and I'm looking at different used stores. I picked up volumes 1, 3, and 10 from secondspin with a 30 % off coupon. I also just ordered vol. 7 off of ebay for $11 after shipping.

I've pretty much used gohastings.com, secondspin, and ebay. I don't have a lot in terms of physical stores. Fye and Suncoast are gone. I do have this disk replay store, but they don't get a lot of anime. I also have a Half Price Books store, but their anime selection is limited as well.

Half.com has some good deals occasionally.

I didn't know about the changes made in Remix, and didn't really care too much... but did they really change the last song in the last scene in Remix?

Meh, guess I'll be sticking with my Bebop DVDs. I'd rather see the show the way I remembered then with unnecessary changes due to someone's Lucas-syndrome. 

I thought that the just remastered the sound from 2.0 to 5.1 in remix.

This is from wiki

The third release, Cowboy Bebop Remix, was also distributed on 6 discs and included the original 26 uncut episodes, with sound remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1 and video remastered under the supervision of Shinichiro Watanabe. This release also included various extras that were not present in the original release. Cowboy Bebop Remix was itself collected as the Cowboy Bebop Remix DVD Collection in 2008.

I didn't know that they changed some of the visuals and if so what were they?

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods Heads to Home Video With an Uncut Version of the Film — 20 Minutes of Footage Not Seen in Theaters!
Posted by Michelle on 08/20/2014 at 5:34pm

Flower Mound, Texas (August 19, 2014) – FUNimation® Entertainment, North America’s leading anime company, is bringing Dragon Ball Z to Blu-ray & DVD in a big way. Right on the heels of its limited-run, highly successful theatrical release, Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods will be hitting online and retail shelves October 7, 2014. “We’re thrilled to be able to bring new Dragon Ball Z content back into homes after so many years” said Gen Fukunaga, President and CEO of FUNimation Entertainment.

Fans of the series have a lot in store for them with this home video release. The Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods Extended Edition on Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack comes with two versions of the film: the Uncut Version – which includes an additional 20 minutes of never-before-seen footage – and the Theatrical Version. It also includes over 30 minutes of extra features, including an in-the-booth featurette with the fan favorite cast.

This must-own movie, from series creator Akira Toriyama, will be available on Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack, DVD, and Digital HD on October 7, 2014. Pre-orders are available starting today. Click here to pre-order your copy now!

Check DragonBallZ.com for more information. For the latest news and announcements, don’t forget to ‘Like’ us on Facebook at facebook.com/dragonballz & facebook.com/funimation, and follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/funimation.

MSRP: $34.98
Release Date: 10/7/2014

Special Features: Behind the Scenes: Battle of Voice Actors, The Voices of Dragon Ball Z: Unveiled, Textless Closing Song, U.S. Trailer, Trailers

The changes to Cowboy Bebop don't bug me too much. I have seen the series once or twice growing up, but the changes seem minimal and something I wouldn't be able to notice without being shown beforehand. I have been watching CCS on the otherhand and didn't know how much the US version was butchered until I read more into it. Really enjoying it so far though I just got to ep 36 yesterday.

Oh yeah, can't wait.

6xLMuRA.jpg

Deal is dead :(. Wasn't this heavily butchered in terms of censorship? Or was that something else.

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods Heads to Home Video With an Uncut Version of the Film — 20 Minutes of Footage Not Seen in Theaters! MSRP: $34.98Release Date: 10/7/2014 Special Features: Behind the Scenes: Battle of Voice Actors, The Voices of Dragon Ball Z: Unveiled, Textless Closing Song, U.S. Trailer, Trailers

Can't wait. Still have to collect the rest of the series though. Need seasons 2-9 and all the movies. DBZ is costly to collect.

Oh yeah, can't wait.
I'm glad I will finally be able to see the movie (I can't stand goku's japanese voice and thus can't watch dbz in japanese, I couldn't hit the theater release near me because I was busy :/ )... plus extra content means I can talk my friend into rewatching it with me :p

I'm glad I will finally be able to see the movie (I can't stand goku's japanese voice and thus can't watch dbz in japanese, I couldn't hit the theater release near me because I was busy :/ )... plus extra content means I can talk my friend into rewatching it with me :p
My friends and I always make fun of Goku's Japanese Voice. It's always funny to us. :lol:

If we're talking dubs then it's a universal agreement that DBZ has serious dubbing issues. A 6 year old kid shoud not sound like a 20 year old man and vice versa. Likewise if you're going to change the voices at least retain the genders. Fries a is not a girl and gohan isn't either. Therefore do not make them sound feminine.

bread's done
Back