Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
^ The box and artbook are nice display pieces but I'll be buying a separate Blu Ray case for it here soon. I like it but when the discs aren't in a proper case and are in sleeves or slits then things start to get messy. I'm a big fan of S1 of Psycho Pass and I mainly opted out of that PE because the extras didn't appeal to me (then it ended up some of the boxes had issues too). The DtB set was not only cheaper but the artbook that was included is great. 

As for DtB release itself, just remember it's an anime from Aniplex. The upcoming P4A release probably has its CE release and price because of Aniplex too. Bebop on the other hand was just Funimation making extra $$$ on a popular series and the demand was high for it. 

^ The box and artbook are nice display pieces but I'll be buying a separate Blu Ray case for it here soon. I like it but when the discs aren't in a proper case and are in sleeves or slits then things start to get messy. I'm a big fan of S1 of Psycho Pass and I mainly opted out of that PE because the extras didn't appeal to me (then it ended up some of the boxes had issues too). The DtB set was not only cheaper but the artbook that was included is great.

As for DtB release itself, just remember it's an anime from Aniplex. The upcoming P4A release probably has its CE release and price because of Aniplex too. Bebop on the other hand was just Funimation making extra $$$ on a popular series and the demand was high for it.
It's probably just some stupid Postcards as usual. Throwing down an extra $40 for some "super awesome ultra edition" postcards. And maybe a sticker. What a "wonderful" collector's edition. Give me a soundtrack dammit.

From what someone said it has a display stand inside but i won't be opening it so that helps me none lol. I was actually surprised when it came in bc i thought it would be like the other premiums like PP or KK sets that they put out, my first thought was "did it come with a signed picture frame?" I did not even get the Funi Bebop bc of the size. But as you said the DtB set was only slightly higher than what i would normaly spend for a LE so i got it.

I hate it, Funi and this stupid oversized packaging is annoying. First it was Bebop and now this. Just give me something like Psycho Pass. Some stuff housed in a nice slipbox. Sadly though this is the only way to get Season 1 on blu ray right now. Worst part is that we keep buying it and it just sends the message that it is ok. And the Soul Eater PE that is coming out looks to be just as bad. It appears to be a digibook style but can't tell the size of it.
Agreed, i think it will tho bc it says "yearbook" style so it will most likely be huge again. It looks like something else Funi is trying out. I was fine with the Rock the Dragon set bc at least that matched the NIS sets but this is getting dumb

From what someone said it has a display stand inside but i won't be opening it so that helps me none lol. I was actually surprised when it came in bc i thought it would be like the other premiums like PP or KK sets that they put out, my first thought was "did it come with a signed picture frame?" I did not even get the Funi Bebop bc of the size. But as you said the DtB set was only slightly higher than what i would normaly spend for a LE so i got it.

Agreed, i think it will tho bc it says "yearbook" style so it will most likely be huge again. It looks like something else Funi is trying out. I was fine with the Rock the Dragon set bc at least that matched the NIS sets but this is getting dumb
Sadly the details for the DtB set have been out probably a week after it was annouced. They showed the packaging and everything. :( Again my main reason for getting it was because it wasn't on blu ray yet. Plus I didn't want to wait to see if it ever got a standard amaray release. I'm sure it will later on down the line. It'll probably get a Anime Classic release.

Not sure what I'm going to do with my Soul Eater PE/CE. From the pictures I have seen it clearly won't be G2. Oh well...

Well nothing we haven't seen but figured I'd post the pic anyway. :)

100_8756_zps7mifidgf.jpg

clearance-news.jpg

Thought about using this on Death Note but I don't know which version to get. I noticed there's a complete set http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/fb4g3xnZd7GNjfXWru/browse/item/103434/4/0/0

and the complete series separated in two parts

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/fb4g3xnZd7GNjfXWru/browse/item/103380/4/0/0 and the second set which doesn't link properly for some reason
 http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/fb4g3xnZd7GNjfXWru/browse/item/98828/4/0/0

Obviously the complete series is cheaper but does it have all the extras of the two-parter? What do you guys think?

clearance-news.jpg

Thought about using this on Death Note but I don't know which version to get. I noticed there's a complete set http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/fb4g3xnZd7GNjfXWru/browse/item/103434/4/0/0

and the complete series separated in two parts
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/fb4g3xnZd7GNjfXWru/browse/item/103380/4/0/0 and the second set which doesn't link properly for some reason
Obviously the complete series is cheaper but does it have all the extras of the two-parter? What do you guys think?
I think the complete set is just a repackage of the two other sets.

Either way, I wouldn't buy them from RS. They're cheaper on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NI4DOW6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1432420269&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=death+note+dvd&dpPl=1&dpID=51q9%2BRMWYxL&ref=plSrch

I don't really care for the CE. I'm in no rush to re-watch the show, so I'll leave mine sealed for now. A best case scenario is a normal 'Classics' release in a little while--with a high re-sell price for the LE. Lol

I put that RS coupon code in and it doesn't do anything.
It doesn't apply to all items, and some items will only be discounted UP TO 32% off, so you'll have to look through things carefully to see what they're marked at price wise already, if they're marked for restriction, and so on.

Items are typically already marked down 25% on RS at their regular prices, so this sale is basically more or less just an extra 7% off or so on most items.

I don't really care for the CE. I'm in no rush to re-watch the show, so I'll leave mine sealed for now. A best case scenario is a normal 'Classics' release in a little while--with a high re-sell price for the LE. Lol
(Hi guys, new member, first post in the forum)

I totally agree with you on the Darker than Black Premium release - really dumb packaging. I only bought this because I already have the DTB S2 LE chipboard box set, so I'm just going to "frankenstein" that set by moving the S1 BD discs over into the S2 case, changing out multi-disc cases to add the extra hubs. I'll keep the art book and art cards from the S1 set, but I think I'll just start my next campfire with the rest of the worthless packaging...

(Hi guys, new member, first post in the forum)

I totally agree with you on the Darker than Black Premium release - really dumb packaging. I only bought this because I already have the DTB S2 LE chipboard box set, so I'm just going to "frankenstein" that set by moving the S1 BD discs over into the S2 case, changing out multi-disc cases to add the extra hubs. I'll keep the art book and art cards from the S1 set, but I think I'll just start my next campfire with the rest of the worthless packaging...
Welcome to CAG ;p

I hear you about the DTB set. I mostly bought it because it wasn't too expensive compared to other LE and I haven't gotten around to watching the series yet. I picked up both seasons during the holiday sale and still haven't opened my season 1 DVD's.

GoHastings is having a 35% Off sale on Used Movies with the code MEMORIALDAY. They actually have a decent amount of Sentai DVD sets that will be under $20 after discount.

GoHastings has seasons 3-7 box sets of Inuyasha (search the site for "inu yasha") for $4-6 a piece.  Even with the $1.29 shipping charge they're pretty good deals.  Bad thing, they're not eligible for the sale.  Good thing, they're new.

GoHastings has seasons 3-7 box sets of Inuyasha (search the site for "inu yasha") for $4-6 a piece. Even with the $1.29 shipping charge they're pretty good deals. Bad thing, they're not eligible for the sale. Good thing, they're new.
Do you think they are going to be the actual box sets or like the DVD case set that were released later?

GoHastings has seasons 3-7 box sets of Inuyasha (search the site for "inu yasha") for $4-6 a piece. Even with the $1.29 shipping charge they're pretty good deals. Bad thing, they're not eligible for the sale. Good thing, they're new.
Just bought them. Thanks a bunch. You just saved me a load

Based on the picture I think they're going to be the actual boxes. The DVD case ones say "season x set" and the pictures show "season x box set".
I'd still be careful. Knowing how GH is a retail chain they will just grab you whatever is on the store shelves. They probably have no way of knowing that it had two releases.

They will grab whatever has the same coverart. I should know. I have bought Highschool of the Dead manga Volume 2 from them multiple times and every time they sent Volume 5 instead.

They will grab whatever has the same coverart. I should know. I have bought Highschool of the Dead manga Volume 2 from them multiple times and every time they sent Volume 5 instead.
I guess Ill risk it, if I honestly decide to not keep them because they arent the box ones, I can always return them.

I almost ordered the Inuyasha sets from GoHastings until I went in my other room to get my debit card and realized I have the set of 55ish singles on my shelf... derp.

Dragonball Z: Resurrection F has been announced to coming to US theaters August 4-12.

EDIT: I love Nozomi for picking up Turn A Gundam, but why did they spread 25 episodes over 6 discs instead of 4?

I guarantee subbed only, unless a dub already exists.  Nozomi stopped dubbing about the time they stopped calling themselves Rightstuf.

Dragonball Z: Resurrection F has been announced to coming to US theaters August 4-12.

EDIT: I love Nozomi for picking up Turn A Gundam, but why did they spread 25 episodes over 6 discs instead of 4?
I can only guess here, but it could allow for higher bit rates on the video making for a nicer looking release.

I can only guess here, but it could allow for higher bit rates on the video making for a nicer looking release.
But other releases Nozomi has done such as Dirty Pair or Rose of Versailles or Renta Magica have more episodes per disc and still look great. And DVD technology has evolved to the point that you can fit 9-10 half-hour episodes with great quality. And as good as the video is (and it is damn good, makes it look like it came out recently), it's hard for me to believe it uses more space than, say, your average modern hour-long live-action drama.

I take it back, apparently Rightstuf does OCCASIONALLY do a dub, working as the parent company of Nozomi, but Nozomi has said that The Third was the last dub they would do in house.  Rightstuf apparently does still do some dubs, they're working on Gundam the Origin, so we may see a dub for Turn, but my guess is it's unlikely  (Righstuf seems to only do dubs for short stuff not full tv series)

So how does GoHastings deal with out of stock items? I ordered the Inuyasha seasons and S7 is now out of stock (it also says OoS in my order status). Do I just wait until they send it out?

So how does GoHastings deal with out of stock items? I ordered the Inuyasha seasons and S7 is now out of stock (it also says OoS in my order status). Do I just wait until they send it out?
It just says that. As long as you dont get an email that says its oos or backordered, youre fine

It just says that. As long as you dont get an email that says its oos or backordered, youre fine
Ok, I was thinking maybe it went out of stock after I ordered it and now it changed. My other 2 seasons shipped though and S7 is still processing, so idk.

I take it back, apparently Rightstuf does OCCASIONALLY do a dub, working as the parent company of Nozomi, but Nozomi has said that The Third was the last dub they would do in house. Rightstuf apparently does still do some dubs, they're working on Gundam the Origin, so we may see a dub for Turn, but my guess is it's unlikely (Righstuf seems to only do dubs for short stuff not full tv series)
Gundam the Origin is likely being backed by Bandai of Japan/Sunrise, as Nadesico didn't get a dub for the new OAVs in the boxset and Turn A is sub-only. If a dub for Turn A is made, Nozomi would have to make a new release like what Sentai does.

bread's done
Back