Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Deep Discount is running a sale. Some pretty good deals. Didn't look through everything myself, but the Ranma Blu-rays (sans set 7) are around $25 -- even less with the promo code.

Deep Discount is running a sale. Some pretty good deals. Didn't look through everything myself, but the Ranma Blu-rays (sans set 7) are around $25 -- even less with the promo code.
you got a link to all the anime deals? I can't seem to navigate the site well

you got a link to all the anime deals? I can't seem to navigate the site well
It's not you, it's the way DD is set up.

Your better option is to look through the selection through DVDPlanet since it actually has a sort system for anime, and use that to compare prices on DD.

DD search system for stuff like anime is complete garbage, so not even really worth your time.

Most of the sale prices on DD will be similar on DVDPlanet, so basically just check at both places if anything to see which titles are cheaper on which site, and you may end up just picking up some titles from both places, but probably not. It's usually cheaper on the site the sale originated from.

But yeah, if you plan to browse, do it through DVDPlanet instead for stuff on DD since they basically the same company, with the same inventory, but weird advertised switching off sales, yet the prices end up pretty similar in the end for the most part.

Hope that wasn't too confusing, lol.

Hope that wasn't too confusing, lol.
No, it was actually a lot of help. Thank you.

*Edit: Just bought Ranma sets 5&6 for $48. Pretty sweet deal. Almost finished with the collection. Payed with paypal as per Cags adivce.

Just annoyed really, what if my copy of Love Live is damaged or something. I'll be SOL in a few months with that. If it was anything else, I wouldn't care.
Don't know for anyone else, but I just got my Love Live set in, and came in perfectly fine. And I ordered when they did the restock of it

I understand why they can't use the old dub for the HD master,but Funi isn't some small company,nor is the show some niche show(sure it will sell on nostalgia alone).

Lol - no "Early Bird" for me - I'm in for the $200 pledge tier, to get the series, movie, soundtrack, deluxe chipboard box, and theatrical poster - mainly because I don't have any Escaflowne in my anime collection at all... 

curse you funimation... I will only be okay with your kickstarter if you have an update pimping out skip beat's indiegogo >.<:

note the "deal" is the early bird entry for kickstarter in my post if you care :p

kickstarter link instead of interview
Don't hold your breath on Funi updating info on Skip since Funi isn't the one doing it. ;) And shame on Funi. No way am I apying $175 to back something that shouldn't cost that much. Funi continues to get worse and worse.

Don't hold your breath on Funi updating info on Skip since Funi isn't the one doing it. ;) And shame on Funi. No way am I apying $175 to back something that shouldn't cost that much. Funi continues to get worse and worse.
You could just buy the regular edition when it comes out right? I don't care for the kickstarter,but they have to charge full price and more,when taking into account all the fees and such.

I know funimation isn't the one doing it but it would be nice to do a call out. tons of companies on kickstarter and indiegogo point out that other companies are also running stuff as if both sides do it despite overlapping interests the overall net is typically positive for both sides.

either way skip beat will get my $100 for the complete series as compared to funimation for $125 for the complete previously licensed series :p

as for funimation getting worse and worse... people keep supporting aniplex's prices, which just keeps showing funimation they are leaving money on the table, can't blame them for wanting more money as a business when they can still be a good deal cheaper than aniplex. (175 for a movie and 26 episode series as compared to like 400)

I just got a random charge from Funi.

WTH!

Now I have to call all sorts of people on Monday to figure out what this is.

RAGE!!!!!!#$%@#$%@#$%@#$%@#$%#$^%$#$^#%^#

I paid $150 for Escaflowne on sub-only VHS back when it was released by AnimeVillage.com, so an HD format release for about the same price with a full dub sounds good to me. Being an anime fan is a lot cheaper now than it ever used to be.

I just got a random charge from Funi.

WTH!

Now I have to call all sorts of people on Monday to figure out what this is.

RAGE!!!!!!#$%@#$%@#$%@#$%@#$%#$^%$#$^#%^#
if you bought anything from the sale last November check to see if you actually got charged.

I just got a random shipment notice for an item I already got from back there only to discover they never actually charged me for that order o_O

Oh, god, the Esca-blow-me movie, the pain, THE PAIN!  If you prefer less crass, there's also Esca-flonase.

if you bought anything from the sale last November check to see if you actually got charged.

I just got a random shipment notice for an item I already got from back there only to discover they never actually charged me for that order o_O
I have to call to check because my activity only goes back so far, and the only thing I can think of is from an order from 2014, which I don't have access to. T__T

curse you funimation... I will only be okay with your kickstarter if you have an update pimping out skip beat's indiegogo >.<:

note the "deal" is the early bird entry for kickstarter in my post if you care :p

kickstarter link instead of interview
Excuse me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the point of kickstarter/indiegigo to give independent groups a chance to make their idea happen? I don't see how a massive company like funimation needs our money to make a project. Hell we basically investors at this point and receive nothing in return.

Still I don't tHink big companies should be able to use KS as a funding source. It's like the underpants gnomes from south park.

Step 1
Kickstarter

Step 2
?

Step 3
Profit

Still I don't tHink big companies should be able to use KS as a funding source. It's like the underpants gnomes from south park.

Step 1
Kickstarter

Step 2
?

Step 3
Profit
Agreed, Funi should have more then enough resources to fund this themselves. If this is the way that anime in NA becomes then I'll dip out. No way that one can afford to continually back $100+ things all the time.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the point of kickstarter/indiegigo to give independent groups a chance to make their idea happen? I don't see how a massive company like funimation needs our money to make a project. Hell we basically investors at this point and receive nothing in return.
nah that is just a really common misconception. Kickstarter exists for people to fund projects that they find worth funding. whether they could do it with or without kickstarter has never been the real point, it's just what helped kickstarter take off before bigger companies figured out that it was a great platform to push things through.

It's really simple, if you find their lack of money a reason not to back them, don't. If you think the project is worth backing then do. That is just how kickstarter works.

as for getting nothing in return, you get the goods you pledge for, that isn't nothing.

Personally I won't back this because a campaign like this shouldn't be needed (they should have been able to easily run something through their own site like starbound did not giving kickstarter a cut and passing the savings onto the fans), but I see no harm with it being there as historically it has been shown that projects like this don't help the smaller projects in need, it actually helps them because it causes a lot more exposure for them. Thus there really isn't any reason for them not to since it tends to both help kickstarter and other projects.

I'd have no problem with bigger companies doing Kickstarters if they'd actually do one for something I actually care about. Sure beats them "testing the waters" with shitty releases (Jojo) or doing sub-only sets only to later make you double dip for a dub release (Sentai).

As for this one, not sure why anyone would touch the $155 tier when the $65 gets you part 1 and the artbox for both parts of the series. I'm sure part 2 and the movie when they come out would be on sale for a lot less than $90.

I remember people complaining about the DVD version but I can't remember why. Anyone know if the bluray version better?
The biggest problem was that it came in a stack pack, all 8 discs on one spindle. I also noticed some minor interlacing when I watched my set over 6 years ago. This was the older Media Blasters release though, the newer Viz releases are probably fine, I haven't seen them though.

All Detective Conan episodes dubbed by 2017. Hahahahahaha. j/k, even I don't wish that on the VAs.

As for Escaflowne, I hated the movie. It moved way too fast. Put me off on the TV series, especially since I then saw the butchered Fox version.

All Detective Conan episodes dubbed by 2017. Hahahahahaha. j/k, even I don't wish that on the VAs.

As for Escaflowne, I hated the movie. It moved way too fast. Put me off on the TV series, especially since I then saw the butchered Fox version.
I remember the Fox version.

Honestly, I'm kind of on the fence about big companies using Kickstarter. On one hand, it definitely feels like they're avoiding the risk inherent to such a company. But the way they explained it certainly has a grain of truth. As a consumer there's no better way than Kickstarter to put your money where your mouth is.

Also, I would shit every pair of pants I own if Conan got another dub job.

Edit: It looks like FUNi responded to some questions in their FAQ. Whether or not the goal is met, it looks like that the CE will be released to the public, hence why there is no quantity of backers at the $175 tier. I was a bit suspicious about this from the get-go. Ultimately, it looks like that the chipboard that will house parts 1 and 2 are Kickstarter exclusive, while the CE will eventually be available through retailers like Amazon and Rightstuf. Since it's not exclusive in any way, I went ahead and actually cancelled my $175 pledge. If I can get the same thing for like $80 down the line, it's kind of pointless to dedicate that kind of money to something that won't be one-of-a-kind. If it was the other way around where you could only get the complete set through the Kickstarter campaign, then I would have left my money there. I really don't care for a new dub either way since I watch everything sub-only, so I'll just have to wait impatiently to see what comes to fruition come November or so.

Well there doesn't look like there is enough interest in Skip Beat.

If you haven't signed up for the campagin and are serious about this show then by all means please sign up.

If you haven't signed up for the campagin and are serious about this show then by all means please sign up.
There's plenty of interest in Skip Beat, just not a Skip Beat Indiegogo. ;D

Edit: It looks like FUNi responded to some questions in their FAQ. Whether or not the goal is met, it looks like that the CE will be released to the public, hence why there is no quantity of backers at the $175 tier. I was a bit suspicious about this from the get-go. Ultimately, it looks like that the chipboard that will house parts 1 and 2 are Kickstarter exclusive, while the CE will eventually be available through retailers like Amazon and Rightstuf. Since it's not exclusive in any way, I went ahead and actually cancelled my $175 pledge. If I can get the same thing for like $80 down the line, it's kind of pointless to dedicate that kind of money to something that won't be one-of-a-kind. If it was the other way around where you could only get the complete set through the Kickstarter campaign, then I would have left my money there. I really don't care for a new dub either way since I watch everything sub-only, so I'll just have to wait impatiently to see what comes to fruition come November or so.
That CE box reward reminds me of Bloodstained.

Special CE box for backers, but it's still going to be retail anyways.

The extras are just rather crummy to be honest, and not really all that worth it to pledge to not get a whole lot more that is specific to backers.

There's plenty of interest in Skip Beat, just not a Skip Beat kickstarter. ;D

That CE box reward reminds me of Bloodstained.

Special CE box for backers, but it's still going to be retail anyways.

The extras are just rather crummy to be honest, and not really all that worth it to pledge to not get a whole lot more that is specific to backers.
haha I feel you there. This will probably be the only way to save the show as it was langusihing and no one has interest in releasing an HD release. I'm sure we all feel a little weary after Time of Eve as well. I am in talks with the person that is doing it and wanted to get comments on if this will be the only way to get it and or if might show up retail as well. For me it doesn't matter because I feel that if I back this it'll help get to retail for those that don't want to back it. But I think there needs to be enough interest shown to get that to happen. And sadly it appears that there isn't. Either way...I'm hoping that there isn enough people interested so we can get this thing going.

Also yeah the Funi KS is pretty shady still. I mean sure a new dub would be nice. But I would be happy with the new HD transfer and subs. Don't feel that I need to drop $175 just to show them that we need a new dub.

What makes you say that? The Indiegogo for has even started yet,and am sure it will make it's goal in no time(I just wish they were doing one for a show I was actually interested in).

What makes you say that? The Indiegogo for has even started yet,and am sure it will make it's goal in no time(I just wish they were doing one for a show I was actually interested in).
Because I'm in talks with the person doing it. ;) They have less then the 500 people sign up even for the promo email.

You might actually like the show though.

The main character is actually pretty different from your typical shojo show. Does not fit the typical mold of the heroine. YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO WATCH IT NOW! :D

bread's done
Back