Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw it last week. Pretty ballsy. Didn't think anyone would try to bring it over. Kickstarter ain't my thing so I won't bother, but may pick them up after they get released. I have 6 volumes of the japanese manga already.

Btw, I was thinking of getting Gundam Build Fighters and Try at some point. Looks like it's being published directly by sunrise. Didn't know sunrise localized stuff. Did that happen after bandai went under? Anyway, what are the chances of them going on sale? Not really familiar with them as a publisher.

Sunrise isn't distributing them, Nozomi (the licensing branch of RightStuf) distributes everything Gundam in the US.

As for sales, it'll probably not go below $35 for DVD and $38 for Blu-ray for a long, long while, and that will likely be a random price drop rather than a sale. 

Not anime related, but I noticed today that Amazon has a preorder listing up for the 30th Anniversary edition of Transformers: The Movie on blu ray.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GU82O9U/ref=s9_simh_gw_p74_d0_i2?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=XDSWHN348X2P21GE715F&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=439659db-41fa-4a3b-8e0f-31b9d08e4568&pf_rd_i=desktop
I'm looking forward to being able to hear "Ah shit!" in crystal clear High Definition. (I would have said Lossless audio, but I don't know that it will be ;) )

Not anime related, but I noticed today that Amazon has a preorder listing up for the 30th Anniversary edition of Transformers: The Movie on blu ray.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GU82O9U/ref=s9_simh_gw_p74_d0_i2?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=XDSWHN348X2P21GE715F&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=439659db-41fa-4a3b-8e0f-31b9d08e4568&pf_rd_i=desktop
I'm looking forward to being able to hear "Ah shit!" in crystal clear High Definition. (I would have said Lossless audio, but I don't know that it will be ;) )
FINA-GOD-fuckING-SHIT-BITCH-ASS-HELL-BARBARA STREISAND-DAMN-LLY. And I had a feeling that since they didn't realease it for the 25th anniversary those bastards were going to make us wait for the 30th anniversary

Had the original movie on vhs. The 1st release and then a second rerelease. Then I bought it on 20th Anniversary Movie on DVD along with the hard to find cd. Now I'm buying the 30th Anniversary Blu Ray. Oh dear. :T

it's official Hastings just filed for bankruptcy.

http://amarillo.com/news/local-news/2016-06-13/its-official-hastings-entertainment-files-bankruptcy

they have 30 days to find a buyer or else they will be restructured or completely shut down.

Hastings is no longer honoring customer deposits for future movie purchases, and existing deposits can be applied toward additional store purchases. Stores are also no longer renting games, and gift cards will expire on July 13.
Hastings is also suspending its buyback program.

with the buyback program suspended I doubt we will see much in the way of restocks.

wouldn't be surprised if we saw a good coupon again soon to clear inventory.

We won't be seeing the big liquidations for at least a couple weeks still.

Hopefully they will find a buyer, and all this will be avoided as I'd hate to lose another source for anime and manga purchases which doesn't cost me an arm and a leg, but really just a place to buy used since none of the other usual sources even has that option.

We won't be seeing the big liquidations for at least a couple weeks still.

Hopefully they will find a buyer, and all this will be avoided as I'd hate to lose another source for anime and manga purchases which doesn't cost me an arm and a leg, but really just a place to buy used since none of the other usual sources even has that option.
yeah it most likely will be a few weeks before any super sales.

that being said since they are stopping their buyback program I wouldn't be surprised if we see a 30% or so off soon, and then a 40% after that, and then finally big ones.

I'll likely buy most of the stuff on my wish list that is in stock with the next 30% off or more coupon though as even at $15 or so shipped it's still a good price to get the last few bleach/naruto I am missing.

but yeah I am really hoping that they find another buy and last another few years, they have been great the last few months.

at least right stuf started doing some real sales again so they don't feel completely dead to me.

I miss the fry's sentai deals though.

^^^
Same info as before but figured I'd get the pics as well from the Funi blog.

Haruhi is returning, with a special 10 year anniversary release!

One of the most popular and influential anime of the last decade, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, is coming back to home video. After being out of print for years, we’re bringing it back in time for its 10th anniversary, along with a special collector’s edition. You can pre-order on June 15, and here’s what you can look forward to:
  • The complete series (seasons 1+2 together) is on Blu-ray for the first time in North America, presented in the same rebroadcast order used on the Japanese Blu-ray release. A DVD release will also be available.
  • We’ll also be including a guide in the release of how to watch the entire two-season series in various other orders, including the super-popular broadcast order, chronological order, and DVD order!
  • The release will have many of the extras originally included Bandai release — as well as some that have never been seen in North America!
Haruhi-S1-+-S2-Blu-ray-216x300.jpg
Haruhi-S1-+-S2-DVD-225x300.jpg

For ultimate fans, we’re also releasing a special The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya – Ultimate Collector’s Edition Blu-ray set!
  • This features not only the original two season series, but the chibi spinoffs The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya + Nyoron! Churuya-san AND the new Nagato-centric alternate universe spinoff, The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan – all in a premium set with a collector’s chipboard box plus a filler box with art cards!
  • The filler box happens to be about the same size as a Blu-ray case and can be removed to fit something else…
Haruhi-3d-render2-1024x576.png

Haruhi-chan-DVD-217x300.jpg

The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya is based on the hilarious spinoff chibi manga with all the characters a little more exaggerated than before—and a Haruhi-chan that’s more Haruhi than Haruhi. Nyoron! Churuya-san is based on a popular webcomic-turned-meme full of deadpan humor centered around a smoked cheese-loving version of Tsuruya. These are also available together as a standalone DVD release on the same day at the series, but the Ultimate Collector’s Edition is the only way to get them on Blu-ray along with the art cards!

TheDisappearanceOfNagatoYuki_3dmock-216x300.jpg

The spinoff series, The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan, follows the characters in the universe featured in the film The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya and will be available as a Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack separately as well!

Pre-order now to take home ALL of these releases on 9/13!

I enjoyed the show, but not enough that I think I need to buy it yet again.  I already have the complete collections for Season 1 and 2, The movie BD, and the Haruhi Chan DVDs ...

And the three 2-disc sets in order to have season 1 in broadcast order...

And all of the Limited edition sets still sealed  :oops:

I enjoyed the show, but not enough that I think I need to buy it yet again. I already have the complete collections for Season 1 and 2, and the Haruhi Chan DVDs ...

And the three 2-disc sets in order to have season 1 in broadcast order...

And all of the Limited edition sets still sealed :oops:
I have the Blu-ray movie and all the Limited Edition DVD releases. Are they worth anything? I wouldn't mind upgrading to the Blu-ray seasons.

^^^
Same info as before but figured I'd get the pics as well from the Funi blog.

Haruhi is returning, with a special 10 year anniversary release!

One of the most popular and influential anime of the last decade, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, is coming back to home video. After being out of print for years, we’re bringing it back in time for its 10th anniversary, along with a special collector’s edition. You can pre-order on June 15, and here’s what you can look forward to:

• The complete series (seasons 1+2 together) is on Blu-ray for the first time in North America, presented in the same rebroadcast order used on the Japanese Blu-ray release. A DVD release will also be available.
  • We’ll also be including a guide in the release of how to watch the entire two-season series in various other orders, including the super-popular broadcast order, chronological order, and DVD order!
  • The release will have many of the extras originally included Bandai release — as well as some that have never been seen in North America!
Haruhi-S1-+-S2-Blu-ray-216x300.jpg
Haruhi-S1-+-S2-DVD-225x300.jpg

For ultimate fans, we’re also releasing a special The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya – Ultimate Collector’s Edition Blu-ray set!
  • This features not only the original two season series, but the chibi spinoffs The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya + Nyoron! Churuya-san AND the new Nagato-centric alternate universe spinoff, The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan – all in a premium set with a collector’s chipboard box plus a filler box with art cards!
  • The filler box happens to be about the same size as a Blu-ray case and can be removed to fit something else…
Haruhi-3d-render2-1024x576.png

Haruhi-chan-DVD-217x300.jpg

The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya is based on the hilarious spinoff chibi manga with all the characters a little more exaggerated than before—and a Haruhi-chan that’s more Haruhi than Haruhi. Nyoron! Churuya-san is based on a popular webcomic-turned-meme full of deadpan humor centered around a smoked cheese-loving version of Tsuruya. These are also available together as a standalone DVD release on the same day at the series, but the Ultimate Collector’s Edition is the only way to get them on Blu-ray along with the art cards!

TheDisappearanceOfNagatoYuki_3dmock-216x300.jpg

The spinoff series, The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan, follows the characters in the universe featured in the film The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya and will be available as a Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack separately as well!

Pre-order now to take home ALL of these releases on 9/13!
Looks like I'll be geTting the Ultimate edition. Haruhi is my og waifu after all.

Yes! I can't wait. I own TF: The Movie on VHS, laserdisc, the Rhino-release DVD, the 20th anniversary DVD, and even the UK UMD. And I'll sure as hell will be buying this! Favorite movie of all time.

I have the original VHS release, the uncut VHS release, and the Rhino dvd release (I didn't get the 20th anniversary dvd, because I was going through a particularly poor phase of my life when it was released, and I didn't feel like doubling down when blu ray had started recently, and I knew I would eventually reluctantly upgrade to blu ray and buy the inevitable blu ray release) but DAMN you people are making me feel like less of a TF fan than I am.

I have the Blu-ray movie and all the Limited Edition DVD releases. Are they worth anything? I wouldn't mind upgrading to the Blu-ray seasons.
According to eBay's completed listings, some poor fools spent $200-$300 on a used copy of the movie. It also looks like some complete LE sets have sold for $100-185. Huh. I had no idea people were actually paying ridiculous "oop anime" costs for that stuff. Oh, and thanks for reminding me about the movie. I had forgotten about that.

Edit: Which reminds me. I assume that the "something else" that can fit in the blu ray sized space in the CE is referring to the movie. They must not be able to talk about its releases yet for some reason.

According to eBay's completed listings, some poor fools spent $200-$300 on a used copy of the movie. It also looks like some complete LE sets have sold for $100-185. Huh. I had no idea people were actually paying ridiculous "oop anime" costs for that stuff. Oh, and thanks for reminding me about the movie. I had forgotten about that.

Edit: Which reminds me. I assume that the "something else" that can fit in the blu ray sized space in the CE is referring to the movie. They must not be able to talk about its releases yet for some reason.
I sold my DVD copy of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time for $80,months before the Funi pickup. Not sure why people pay that much for something that's obviously going to be released again.

Yeah I don't get it either.  You'd have to be a fool to pay $100 let alone $150 bucks for a single movie.  But many anime collectors have zero self-control. 

Bleck.

Looks like I'll be waiting for it to show up on their Amazon storefront so I can pay way less for the dinger copies...or next years holiday sales. :p

Funimation's September titles

The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya and Nyoron! Churuya-san Complete Series DVD
Release Date: 9/13/2016
Your Price: $18.74

Sisterhood DVD
Release Date: 6/21/2016

One Piece Season 8 Part 3 DVD
Release Date: 9/20/2016
Your Price: $29.99

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Ultimate Collector's Edition Blu-ray
Your Price: $112.49

High School DxD Season 3 Limited Edition Blu-ray/DVD
Release Date: 9/6/2016
Your Price: $63.74

Mikagura School Suite Blu-Ray/DVD
Release Date: 9/27/2016
Your Price: $48.74

High School DxD Season 3 Blu-ray/DVD

Maria the Virgin Witch Blu-Ray/DVD

A Certain Scientific Accelerator Manga Volume 4
Release Date: 10/25/2016
Your Price: $9.74

Maken-ki! Season 1 Blu-ray/DVD SAVE Edition
Your Price: $22.49

Harmony Blu-ray/DVD + UV
Your Price: $26.24

Seraph of the End Vampire Reign Season 1 Part 2 Blu-ray/DVD

Fairy Tail Part 21 Blu-ray/DVD
Your Price: $41.24

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan Blu-ray/DVD

Harmony DVD
Your Price: $22.49

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Seasons 1 and 2 DVD
Your Price: $41.24

Seraph of the End Vampire Reign Collector's Edition Blu-ray/DVD
Your Price: $149.99

PSYCHO-PASS Season 1 Blu-Ray/DVD
Your Price: $52.49

Rainy Cocoa Season 1 and 2 DVD
Your Price: $14.99

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Seasons 1 and 2 Blu-ray

How much does Rightstuf discount for FUNi sales now? Or are they like Viz disc sales where only select titles are discounted instead of the entire catalog? If it's 40%, that means Haruhi will be $89.98 during a studio sale. Pretty decent price for an upgrade, especially considering I never did get around to buying the second season due to Endless Eight boring me to death in its initial televised run.

How much does Rightstuf discount for FUNi sales now? Or are they like Viz disc sales where only select titles are discounted instead of the entire catalog? If it's 40%, that means Haruhi will be $89.98 during a studio sale. Pretty decent price for an upgrade, especially considering I never did get around to buying the second season due to Endless Eight boring me to death in its initial televised run.
Even if they doa studio sale which they just did a Funi one so it'll be a long time before we see another one. The price on the set will go back up and it'll probably be the same price as it is now. Funi stuff doesn't get discounted anymore sadly. Not like it used to.

Even if they doa studio sale which they just did a Funi one so it'll be a long time before we see another one. The price on the set will go back up and it'll probably be the same price as it is now. Funi stuff doesn't get discounted anymore sadly. Not like it used to.
I see that the old sales say "up to 40% off" which leads me to believe that the $105 price as a GA? member is probably the best price. I haven't been keeping up as closely as I used to, but aren't the odds of the Haruhi CE dropping in price to something more reasonable inevitable? FMA and Tokyo Ghoul being examples? I'm debating on pre-ordering while I still have my membership but don't want to get screwed over down the line, especially since this is just a CE and not a LE.

Usually their studio sales are just a fancily worded "extra 10% off of our usual prices."  So you may be able to get it for $95 with studio sale and club discount, but I can't think of the last Funi studio sale that they had before the previous one.  I'd say that the set's price is disappointing, but it is two seasons and two extra sets.

I'm more disappointed at the $48 price for the Disappearance of Nagato.  Not surprised, just disappointed.

Is this worth getting if I already own both parts of the series?
Rising takes place after the TV series, the Beginning is the one that retells the beginning, so yes, it's worth it. I also can't believe that people are complaining about getting over 1200 minutes of anime for $100. I'd be all over this, if I liked the Melancholy set of series. (admittedly, I only watched the first two discs of the bandai release, and yes I know that's not in "true order", but it made no goddamn sense to me, and it also wasn't even funny to me (which I'm perfectly willing to watch nonsense shows if they're funny).

Rising takes place after the TV series, the Beginning is the one that retells the beginning, so yes, it's worth it. I also can't believe that people are complaining about getting over 1200 minutes of anime for $100. I'd be all over this, if I liked the Melancholy set of series. (admittedly, I only watched the first two discs of the bandai release, and yes I know that's not in "true order", but it made no goddamn sense to me, and it also wasn't even funny to me (which I'm perfectly willing to watch nonsense shows if they're funny).
So what you're saying is that you have a reason to not want to spend $100 on that 1200 minutes of anime.

It doesn't seem like it would be that far of a stretch to figure out that other people may have other reasons that they would not want to do so either.

Anyone check out Gundam Evolve? And, if so, any good?

Just picked up Gundam 00 the complete first season for $31 and complete season two for $12, both used, at FYE today. They were pretty much in like-new condition. I've seen these sell together for over $100 on eBay. Anyone looking for these might want to keep their eyes open at their local FYE, since the used prices are so cheap.

Anyone check out Gundam Evolve? And, if so, any good?

Just picked up Gundam 00 the complete first season for $31 and complete season two for $12, both used, at FYE today. They were pretty much in like-new condition. I've seen these sell together for over $100 on eBay. Anyone looking for these might want to keep their eyes open at their local FYE, since the used prices are so cheap.
Presume those are the DVDs? Don't think BDs got released in N.A.

Funimation's September titles

The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya and Nyoron! Churuya-san Complete Series DVD

Sisterhood DVD
Release Date: 6/21/2016

One Piece Season 8 Part 3 DVD
Release Date: 9/20/2016
Your Price: $29.99

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Ultimate Collector's Edition Blu-ray
Your Price: $112.49

High School DxD Season 3 Limited Edition Blu-ray/DVD