Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Last I checked, the prices weren't down all that significantly yet. The difference between the GBP's highest value this month and right now is only about 10-12%.

If you were going to do so anyway, sure. But I wouldn't go nuts strictly based on the exchange rate.

I was mostly looking at the high profile Aniplex releases that I had in my wishlist. Like the Monogatari's, Kill la Kill, and such. Those were always cheaper in the Uk, with the drop its really enticing.

I was mostly looking at the high profile Aniplex releases that I had in my wishlist. Like the Monogatari's, Kill la Kill, and such. Those were always cheaper in the Uk, with the drop its really enticing.
Well, what I was saying was that if I didn't buy them already at $33 usd, I'm probably not going to rush out and get them now that they're $30 usd.

Now if they go on sale AND the Pound is still worth 10% less...

Well, guess I'm not much of a CAG then, lol - I've spent just shy of $5K on anime this year so far, and over $10K for each of the previous 2 years... But, I do still try to shop for the best prices for the anime I buy that's not Aniplex or JP Imports...  O:)

I'm really not too much of a gamer anymore, either - the only game I'm playing right now is the freebie World of Tanks Online, on the PC, and I only play that a few hours a month with a few friends...  But, I do still run a private Ventrilo server for us to team chat on, which I have kept up and running 24x7 for the last 15+ years... 

Well, guess I'm not much of a CAG then, lol - I've spent just shy of $5K on anime this year so far, and over $10K for each of the previous 2 years... But, I do still try to shop for the best prices for the anime I buy that's not Aniplex or JP Imports... O:)
Alright, im curious... If you dont buy imports or aniplex releases how do you reach 10k in anime per year? Im not questioning you spending that amount, im wondering how you get to that number on just anime

Alright, im curious... If you dont buy imports or aniplex releases how do you reach 10k in anime per year? Im not questioning you spending that amount, im wondering how you get to that number on just anime
GWG still imports and buys Aniplex stuff. I guess just buying lots of anime? lol

I don't keep track of how much I spend as I probably wouldn't like it. It isn't as much as the whales as I'm poor but it is a sizable amount.

You actually read my comment wrong - I should reword it slightly to say "I do still try to shop for the best prices for the small amount of anime I buy that's not Aniplex or JP Imports." I don't buy a lot of anime, I just mainly collect Japanese imports, Aniplex, and domestic Limited/Premium/Collector's Edition releases, and generally try to avoid standard releases if possible. For example, I only purchased four anime in the month of June, but the total for just those four releases was $420...

I do keep up a list over in the 2016 Blu-ray/DVD Spending Tab thread.

You actually read my comment wrong - I should reword it slightly to say "I do still try to shop for the best prices for the small amount of anime I buy that's not Aniplex or JP Imports." I don't buy a lot of anime, I just mainly collect Japanese imports, Aniplex, and domestic Limited/Premium/Collector's Edition releases, and generally try to avoid standard releases if possible. For example, I only purchased four anime in the month of June, but the total for just those four releases was $420...

I do keep up a list over in the 2016 Blu-ray/DVD Spending Tab thread.
Yep im an idiot, woops lol

I looked at it earlier, and nothing that really caught my eye.

The actual search results format is actually kind of a mess, so I just stopped looking through everything after awhile since I was getting a headache.

Just got the Draganar Academy LE in. It's sad that the alternate art cards are better than the actual show. Also a bit of false advertising to boot.

this isn't a deal right now but could be one in the future so mentioning it here so people can keep an eye on it.

half price books just launched a proper web store.

I mean there might be deals to be found if you look around now, but the stuff I looked at was basically priced like amazon right now.
Hopefully this doesn't make an already dry in-store selection (in my area obviously) turn completely to dust.

You say that like those series are readily available on Blu-ray.
I won't spend money on DVDs. Blu-rays only. This is 2016. I know others like GWG, and possibly Neoz, will agree and can attest to that. Regardless of availability that's a lot of money to spend on inferior quality.

I'm not trying to build a 2005 collection. I'm also concerned with my spending on non-4K "Hollywood" BDs now; going to head towards a serious downsizing of new release non-4k feature film purchasing, even though I don't have a 4k setup yet.

Most worthwhile anime titles will eventually make it to BD if they haven't already. You just gotta be patient, or import. I also don't see anime in 4k being a thing. Meaning buying anime blus seems like a pretty safe investment. These last two years have been the golden years to start stockpiling high-def anime with all the releases that have been happening.

It was a hell of a mess getting rid of all the DVDs and upgrading to BD. Don't want to go through that again. Futureproofing always needs to be considered as part of the equation these days if you're still spending money on physical media, which most people don't.

I believe Umi Monogatari is coming to BD sometime. Aria might see one as the Japanese released theirs not to long ago. And a real shame that Tamayura: Hitotose didn't get a BD release. I don't think that one will get one here in the US any time soon.

And I agree with Nothing. I try to get BD's and very seldom get DVD's. I only get them if the show isn't on BD here.

Well, guess I'm not much of a CAG then, lol - I've spent just shy of $5K on anime this year so far, and over $10K for each of the previous 2 years... But, I do still try to shop for the best prices for the anime I buy that's not Aniplex or JP Imports... O:)
Can I have some money? Or some stuff? I've been good, I promise lol...Though realistically I'm pretty close to that dollar amount since I buy JP figures.

Can I have some money? Or some stuff? I've been good, I promise lol...Though realistically I'm pretty close to that dollar amount since I buy JP figures.
I would love to get some figurines as well but I had to choose lol. Anime or Figurines so I picked anime. :D

You say that like those series are readily available on Blu-ray.
Exactly. Plus there's no shortage of Blu-rays that are lacking worthwhile features from previous releases.

Meh, I still have VHS and laserdisc copies of some anime and have no interest in "upgrading." Sure, I'll strictly buy blu-ray for brand new movies, series, etc. But I don't care if the 1985 Vampire Hunter D movie is on bluray. I'll keep my LD version with the original dub, along with the original Gundam trilogy on VHS.

I would love to get some figurines as well but I had to choose lol. Anime or Figurines so I picked anime. :D
I went the figure route. That exchange rate was too good to pass up. Plus figures tend to go out of print before anime. That being said, i still bought a lot of anime, games, manga, and kickstarters...Like the Kodomo no Jikan KS. SO GET ON IT PEOPLE

I won't spend money on DVDs. Blu-rays only. This is 2016. I know others like GWG, and possibly Neoz, will agree and can attest to that. Regardless of availability that's a lot of money to spend on inferior quality.
You must love the Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Pizza Cats Blu-rays then.

It was a hell of a mess getting rid of all the DVDs and upgrading to BD. Don't want to go through that again. Futureproofing always needs to be considered as part of the equation these days if you're still spending money on physical media, which most people don't.
Actually, the majority still buy physical copies. It's not as dominant as it was 10 years ago, but it's still the majority.

lol, who would even buy Samurai Pizza Cats, period... ugh. That's almost as bad as, um...pokemon or dbz...   8-[  

lol, who would even buy Samurai Pizza Cats, period... ugh. That's almost as bad as, um...pokemon or dbz... 8-[
While I am not a big fan of SPC, I am a big fan of DBZ and Pokemon is my #2 favorite anime. Kalos, in particular, is freaking awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj-34tfTiqo

a little update on gohastings.

no buyer found, two weeks left. They are claiming that a number of investors have interest in them though. 

seems like there is a decent chance that if they don't find a buyer they will keep 20-30 key stores open and try to start over.

I went the figure route. That exchange rate was too good to pass up. Plus figures tend to go out of print before anime. That being said, i still bought a lot of anime, games, manga, and kickstarters...Like the Kodomo no Jikan KS. SO GET ON IT PEOPLE
If I had $139 right I'd totally do it. Sadly I do not.

a little update on gohastings.

no buyer found, two weeks left. They are claiming that a number of investors have interest in them though.

seems like there is a decent chance that if they don't find a buyer they will keep 20-30 key stores open and try to start over.

Hastings president: 'Everything is on the table'

Rumors had been floating that even if the company didn’t find a buyer, Hastings would try to keep 20 to 30 stores open. When asked about this, Litwak declined to respond directly, but said, “everything is on the table … I certainly think that would be a consideration” to potential investors.
Full article below.

Hastings Entertainment, Amarillo’s former success story of media merchandising, has seen better days.

The company declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy on June 13, and said it had enough capital left to continue operations for one month while it searched for a buyer.

Two weeks later, no news has surfaced on prospects for the company’s salvation.

Jim Litwak, who was named Hastings’ president in December, sat down for an interview with the Amarillo Globe-News on the subject of the entertainment chain’s future.

According to Litwak, interest from some potential buyers has increased since declaring bankruptcy.

“You’re out there for investors” he began.

And on top of that, Litwak said, some of the “refreshed” stores are seeing “strong double-digit profit increases.”

Initial reports said that if Hastings doesn’t find a buyer by July 13, the company would fold. A memo sent to employees warned that a mass layoff and/or shuttering of the distribution center on Plains Boulevard could cost them their jobs.

Hastings currently employs roughly 3,850 people. There are 36 locations in Texas, with about 12,000 jobs in the state. Litwak said that 411 of those jobs are in Amarillo.

Rumors had been floating that even if the company didn’t find a buyer, Hastings would try to keep 20 to 30 stores open. When asked about this, Litwak declined to respond directly, but said, “everything is on the table … I certainly think that would be a consideration” to potential investors.

When the news first broke about the bankruptcy, the business journal Publishers Weekly reported that the company had contacted 22 potential buyers, and had strong responses of interest from at least 10 companies.

While the interested investors did their due diligence towards a purchase, no deal was reached.

Asked if there had been more interest from buyers, Litwak said he couldn’t speak about the actual number or how many were interested, but confirmed that the company was becoming more “attractive” to investors.

“First thing, we’ve cut expenses by $12 million,” he explained.

This is a significant number.

Hastings posted a loss of $10.9 million on revenue of $420 million in 2014, and last year the loss jumped to $16.6 million and sales fell to $401.1 million. At this point, the company still has debts of $80 million in secured loans and $59 million in trade bills, so any reduction of expenses helps its cause.

Now, Litwak said, Hastings is already turning a profit, even though it won’t show up on paper until next year’s financial filings.

Fuel for this profitable fire is the transition from older forms of media — books, movies and CDs — to licensed products, collectibles, vinyl records, comic books and related merchandise, the things you can’t download.

Hastings currently has 123 stores, and 32 of those have been “refreshed” to accommodate this change in focus. A prime example is Amarillo’s Georgia Street Hastings, which has the books and CDs for which the brand was historically known relegated to the back of the store, with collectibles and vinyl near the entrance.

One of the most noticeable changes is the wide selection of new comic books, graphic novels and even back-issue runs from years past. Hastings partnered with Diamond Comic Distributors in 2012, making it the largest comic book retailer in the U.S.

Litwak said that the “strong statements” from Marvel and DC Comics, including the multibillion-dollar film franchises that dominate the box office, show that profitability from those products has the potential to grow.

While Litwak explained the “strong double-digit” profit increases in some of Hastings’ refreshed stores, he also said others were on track with increasing single-digit jumps.

But even the relationships that encouraged the increased profits have been strained by Hastings’ financial trouble. The company owes Diamond Comics Distributors $1.6 million, and Funko, a pop culture licensing-focused toy company that makes “pop vinyl” figures of well-known characters, is owed $2.5 million.

Litwak said the relationship between his company and its suppliers of pop-culture and comic items is ongoing.

“It’s in everyone’s interest that we continue,” he said, explaining that new products from Diamond and Funko are being delivered and sold to the benefit of all involved.

Founded in Amarillo in 1968, Hastings went through financial trouble previously and was bought from the Amarillo-based Marmaduke family in 2014 by Draw Another Circle LLC for a meager $21.4 million.

Many were surprised by the low sale price. A contributing factor could be that the company’s expansion in the 1990s involved leasing instead of buying properties, hoping for greater mobility, which lowers the company’s overall value. In Litwak’s view, the advantage of this setup is that Hastings has a lot of “attractive, low-rent leases.”

After declaring Chapter 11, Litwak said the company is now entitled to go back and renegotiate those leases to make “an OK deal good, and a good deal great.”

“I’m not here to say that Chapter 11 is a positive procedure,” he continued, but said the bankruptcy proceedings give the company “tools” to address its issues.

Litwak is confident Hastings will come out on top, and he should know. This isn’t his first time dealing with bankruptcy. He previously guided clothing retail giant Macy’s through Chapter 11 in the early 1990s, and the company emerged profitable (even if it was hit with some trouble over the past two years). After that, he was the president of Trans World Entertainment, which oversaw many big-box media chains like Sam Goody’s, which was rebranded as FYE and continues to operate today.

“My entire career has served to prepare me” for Hastings’ troubles, he said.

Though it has been a rough six months, Litwak concluded by saying the work ethic and “fortitude” of the employees at Hastings’ headquarters has been “beyond expectations.”

http://amarillo.com/news/latest-news/2016-06-29/hastings-president-everything-table

Does the same thing that seems to affect EVERY manga artist strike him in that he doesn't fucking take care of himself, and he has THE DEATH!

Tadashi Kawashima, mangaka of Alive: The Final Evolution, had liver cancer and worked IN THE HOSPITAL to finish the manga. He died shortly after.

All things considered, I'm honestly not sure which approach I prefer, Togashi or Kawashima. Health and human rights some first, no question... but as an author you also have a professional obligation to finish your work.

Looks like Nozomi's finally going all in on Blu-rays. Martian Successor Nadesico, one of the greatest anime ever, is coming to Blu-ray. As is Utena, which is not as awesome as Nadesico, but still good.

More Gundam is on the way, as Reconguista in G, Gundam 0080, Gundam 0083, and F91 are coming soon. 

Also, Viz has acquired the Dragonball Super, Gundam Thunderbolt, and The Water Dragon's Bride manga.

EDIT: No idea if this is old news or not, but Nozomi is releasing Big Windup 2 on DVD and A Town Where You Live on Blu-ray.

Nozomi also announced they have picked up Galaxy Angel.

Crunchyroll is now dubbing and releasing anime on BD/DVD. They are going to do Gintama. I don't know how.

Viz has the Dragon ball super manga
they are doing

Berserk
Big Order
Free! Iwatobi Swim Club
Gintama
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
Myriad Colors Phantom World
Yamada-kun & the Seven Witches

with more to be announced later.

pricing is not known but since gintama was getting a dub from a canadian company of the first 51 episodes I have to imagine that is the dub they are using so these will all likely be canadian dubs.

edit: in their press release twin exorcists is also in the image even though they don't list it.

Further Nozomi info. Galaxy Angel will be on Blu-ray as well, all the Gundam stuff EXCEPT 0080 (for some reason) will have a Blu-ray release, and they will be releasing Afterglow of Zeon, apparently as a separate release.

bread's done
Back