Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Is soul eater worth getting from Amazon at that sale price? I've seen it online already and enjoyed it
Yes. The original four DVD releases cost me a little over $30 ea when I ordered them from RightStuf as they were released. $24 for the complete series and in BR format is a steal. I want to double dip to get the BR version but already spent too much this end of year.

One more question on the FMA Brotherhood Collections:

Do you think it is worth it to pick up collection 1 now at the sale price, even though I won't be able to get collection 2 yet? Or is this a typical sale price for this item?

Thanks guys

So I watched Beck and I liked it, but it feels like it could have been a lot better. The protagonist is too damn passive and Maho isn't really that appealing. The other band members have great, unique personalities. They should have either had the protagonist grow a pair sooner and flesh out certain relationships more or not even had them at all. They make it seem like things are going to happen for him more than a few times and then just drop the story thread. Meh, just painful to see possible greatness in the story not come to fruition. Still worth seeing though.

Psycho-Pass is great but damn disturbing. Slowly watching that since each episode is kind of disgusting lol. Delving into the darkness in people is tough to watch sometimes. Seeing the other side of the coin can be scary. Edit: So you think I'm not just a wuss, when I first visited Japan there was a news story of a kid who chopped off his mom's head and put it in his school bag. School Days anyone? *shudder*

With that out of the way....Rakuten.com emailed me a free $10 and had 10% back via super points which netted me the Legend of Legendary Heroes (blu ray - complete set) for about $28.5 (including the super points I'll get back). I had some extra points and netted down an extra $2. Feels about right for 26 episodes on blu. If anyone shops there, you may have received a similar email. They have reasonable prices on new anime, but they are also sold out as a result!

So I watched Beck and I liked it, but it feels like it could have been a lot better. The protagonist is too damn passive and Maho isn't really that appealing. The other band members have great, unique personalities. They should have either had the protagonist grow a pair sooner and flesh out certain relationships more or not even had them at all. They make it seem like things are going to happen for him more than a few times and then just drop the story thread. Meh, just painful to see possible greatness in the story not come to fruition. Still worth seeing though.

Psycho-Pass is great but damn disturbing. Slowly watching that since each episode is kind of disgusting lol. Delving into the darkness in people is tough to watch sometimes. Seeing the other side of the coin can be scary. Edit: So you think I'm not just a wuss, when I first visited Japan there was a news story of a kid who chopped off his mom's head and put it in his school bag. School Days anyone? *shudder*

With that out of the way....Rakuten.com emailed me a free $10 and had 10% back via super points which netted me the Legend of Legendary Heroes (blu ray - complete set) for about $28.5 (including the super points I'll get back). I had some extra points and netted down an extra $2. Feels about right for 26 episodes on blu. If anyone shops there, you may have received a similar email. They have reasonable prices on new anime, but they are also sold out as a result!
Beck isn't complete until you read the manga. Story keeps going, it doesn't abruptly end like the anime.

I really wanted to pick up Steins;Gate and Guilty Crown but $50 per series is hard for me to bite on, especially when I hear at least half of both series are crap (SG first half, GC second half).

Idk...i'll think about it. When does the Funi sale end on Amazon?

I really wanted to pick up Steins;Gate and Guilty Crown but $50 per series is hard for me to bite on, especially when I hear at least half of both series are crap (SG first half, GC second half).

I think it runs until the end of the year.

Steins:Gate's first half isn't crap. It isn't anywhere near as strong as the second half, but it is far from crap. The first half is more slice-of-life while the second half is full on drama.

Steins;Gate

The first half of Steins;Gate is really slow, but it definitely isn't crap, like DNukem said. Also, being slow doesn't mean that it isn't entertaining by any means. The first half of the show is really supplying you with a lot of information and buildup to the second half of the series. It essentially comes down to the main character and his gang sitting around a lab tossing back and forth ideas of a time machine and doing various activities similar to what you would expect from a slice-of-life show.

It is a very rewarding show when you make it to the end, and I really don't think that you would be disappointed in it. Like I said, it isn't that the show is not entertaining, but that some may find it hard to get hooked at first as it is quite slow starting off.

Guilty Crown

As far as Guilty Crown goes, I really enjoyed it. I bought it when it first came out as a blind buy, even though many said that the ending was terrible. I was actually pretty nervous about watching it since it received such negative feedback, but honestly I'm not sure why people complain about it so much. Yeah, a lot of people wish that it ended differently, me included, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that the ending was bad. I suppose it is a love or hate series that I personally ended up loving. I would recommend it, whether anyone else would or not. :whistle2:

Steins;Gate

The first half of Steins;Gate is really slow, but it definitely isn't crap, like DNukem said. Also, being slow doesn't mean that it isn't entertaining by any means. The first half of the show is really supplying you with a lot of information and buildup to the second half of the series. It essentially comes down to the main character and his gang sitting around a lab tossing back and forth ideas of a time machine and doing various activities similar to what you would expect from a slice-of-life show.

It is a very rewarding show when you make it to the end, and I really don't think that you would be disappointed in it. Like I said, it isn't that the show is not entertaining, but that some may find it hard to get hooked at first as it is quite slow starting off.

Guilty Crown

As far as Guilty Crown goes, I absolutely loved it. I bought it when it first came out as a blind buy, even though many said that the ending was terrible. I was actually pretty nervous about watching it since it received such negative feedback, but honestly I'm not sure why people complain about it so much. Yeah, I do wish that it ended a little differently, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that the ending was bad. I suppose it is a love or hate series that I personally loved. I would recommend it.
Interesting...I am rethinking this now lol. Man, this is going to push my order back up to $290 >.>

I hope I don't get burned by Funimation and they go announce a complete pack for both series.

I really want Blood C for those awesome death scenes but I wish it was a little cheaper....

Anyone else wish Funi would stop doing DVD/Blu combos so they could bring down the prices a little more? Although I've seen people just sell off the DVDs from their sets on eBay. I am tempted to do that as well.

Guilty Crown

As far as Guilty Crown goes, I absolutely loved it. I bought it when it first came out as a blind buy, even though many said that the ending was terrible. I was actually pretty nervous about watching it since it received such negative feedback, but honestly I'm not sure why people complain about it so much. Yeah, I do wish that it ended a little differently, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that the ending was bad. I suppose it is a love or hate series that I personally loved. I would recommend it.
Its YMMV on the ending. The ending isn't necessarily bad, it's just that many people wish it happened differently (me included). I thought it was an okay show, but not a Code Geass imo. But others still seem to enjoy it.

I personally hate the combo packs, but given that Sentai and Viz are about the only companies out there NOT doing combo packs nowadays, I don't see them going away.

Any recommendations on Ghosthound? Buy or pass on it.
I recall ghosthound being enjoyable.... but at the same time I am drawing a blank on what happened in most of the series.... so yeah... not sure what's up with that... perhaps it's because it's a mind screw anime (not surprising given it's from some of the people who made lain :p)

I watched 11 episodes and I thought it was awful. The plot was pretty senseless and the characters were boring.

(shrug) but I like Mirai Nikki and there are some diverse opinions on that too.

Its YMMV on the ending. The ending isn't necessarily bad, it's just that many people wish it happened differently (me included). I thought it was an okay show, but not a Code Geass imo. But others still seem to enjoy it.
Certainly isn't Code Geass, that is for sure. I thought Code Geass had one of the best endings I've personally seen.

Good lord, people are recommending Guilty Crown? That's just irresponsible and mean.
I watched 11 episodes and I thought it was awful. The plot was pretty senseless and the characters were boring.

(shrug) but I like Mirai Nikki and there are some diverse opinions on that too.
Really? :???: I enjoyed it quite a bit. Of course it isn't anywhere near the best show that I have seen, but it wasn't something that I would really speak bad of. To each their own I suppose.

I also like Mirai Nikki. Thought it was excellent. I would actually consider it pretty high up on my list.

Just buy it you jerk! ;D
your just trying to turn people into anime hoarders like yourself you selfish bum you.

Psycho-Pass is great but damn disturbing. Slowly watching that since each episode is kind of disgusting lol. Delving into the darkness in people is tough to watch sometimes. Seeing the other side of the coin can be scary. Edit: So you think I'm not just a wuss, when I first visited Japan there was a news story of a kid who chopped off his mom's head and put it in his school bag. School Days anyone? *shudder*

hmm that psychopass sounds like something i want to watch now. DAMN YOU. oh well ill just stick it in that giant to watch it later pile(the textfile not the dvds/blu ray)

This is what is in my cart on Amazon at the moment. Just deciding when to pull the trigger

I might take out the Dragon Ball Z Kai sets
This made me take a look at the DBZ Kai I've been sitting on for a while now. I loaded an episode of the Frieza saga just to see how it was, but I got hooked and I've been watching for a few hours now. It is still pretty enjoyable.

You guys realize you're getting 27/28 episodes a season, right?
Yeah, but its been a very long time since I've seen Yu Yu Hakusho, so I don't know how much of that might be filler. Maybe none of it. The real reason I haven't jumped on it is because I already have a good amount to watch/play, and this is CAG, so I feel it could go just a bit lower. $15 a piece sounded good.

You know you are living in 2013 when people complain about the price of a $19 season box set. I remember my friend paying around $100 for first part of the Dark Tournament arc on DVD. 

Forgive me for asking this but after watching the 1st episode of Attack on Titan I have got to have me this series. Now I know its not officially out yet but anyone know a good ebay seller who sells this that has good video quality? If this is against the rules to ask I am sorry.

Yeah, but its been a very long time since I've seen Yu Yu Hakusho, so I don't know how much of that might be filler. Maybe none of it. The real reason I haven't jumped on it is because I already have a good amount to watch/play, and this is CAG, so I feel it could go just a bit lower. $15 a piece sounded good.
There's very little actual filler. Some of the stuff is stretched out a bit and sometimes the background characters are given something to do, but there's no Bount or Garlic Jr. sagas here. Heck, the manga actually cut out a bunch of stuff from the first and last arcs. And most fights last only a couple episodes. Yusuke vs. Togoro is the longest fight and lasts only 4 episodes.

Oh man, Yu Yu Hakusho. Still seems a little expensive to me or I'd definitely get in on that one.
Idk, imo, it seems like a great deal to me. I doubt Funi will come out with a complete set for it

I almost have that same exact list. :lol: Love me dat Yu Yu Hakusho.
Me too! :eek:

You know you are living in 2013 when people complain about the price of a $19 season box set. I remember my friend paying around $100 for first part of the Dark Tournament arc on DVD.
Seriously! Anime is so cheap these days.

Forgive me for asking this but after watching the 1st episode of Attack on Titan I have got to have me this series. Now I know its not officially out yet but anyone know a good ebay seller who sells this that has good video quality? If this is against the rules to ask I am sorry.
All the complete sets on eBay are counterfeits/fakes...so you might as well stream the series or download it

I have a season one set that I could sell for that
Condition?

You forgot to add that all those DVDs were individually packaged, had only 3-4 episodes per DVD, and no extras whatsoever.

And the $100 was considered a bargain.

I'm happy with my Yu Yu Hakusho DVD's for now, but I'm thinking of getting the Fullmetal Alchemist original series sets though. I seem to recall brotherhood hitting around 20 bucks once upon a time per season when I was of course kind of broke so I'll wait on those for sure.

I definitely recommend High School DxD & Heaven's Lost Property. Also, has anyone received that new Dragonball Z Blu-Ray yet of the first season? If so how is it?

Also, has anyone received that new Dragonball Z Blu-Ray yet of the first season? If so how is it?
I think most of us here (including myself) have been suckered into one version or another of DBZ releases. I'm actually surprised that few here have talked about it since it was first revealed. Anyway, Blu-Ray.com has a good review for the set here: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dragonball-Z-Season-1-Blu-ray/85277/#Review

Pretty much it was exactly as I expected. Cropped (for a wide screen release), no film grain, and it's super bright.

You forgot to add that all those DVDs were individually packaged, had only 3-4 episodes per DVD, and no extras whatsoever.

And the $100 was considered a bargain.
Haha! Those were the days. Back when people despised thinpacks and aimed to get individual DVD with the artboxes. Total opposite now. I spent so much money back in the day lol.

Sealed, with slip case
I say sir, I say sir! You will receive a PM from me.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Parts 1 and 2...if they are still $27.50 each, then get them. The lowest I saw was $23 and change for each season, but they normally retail higher.
You know...I never really got into Fullmetal Alchemist lol. Also, part 2 is under review.

I definitely recommend High School DxD & Heaven's Lost Property. Also, has anyone received that new Dragonball Z Blu-Ray yet of the first season? If so how is it?
Mine should be coming in on Tuesday. I hear it is OK...nothing stellar. You can't really blame Funi for this release though...they did a fan poll and 16:9 won lol. I doubt we will ever see the perfect DBZ bluray release anytime soon.

I think most of us here (including myself) have been suckered into one version or another of DBZ releases. I'm actually surprised that few here have talked about since it was first revealed. Anyway, Blu-Ray.com has a good review for the set here: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dragonball-Z-Season-1-Blu-ray/85277/#Review

Pretty much it was exactly as I expected. Cropped (for a wide screen release), no film grain, and it's super bright.
Yup Yup. I've been hearing that they are slightly better than the orange boxes.

bread's done
Back