Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
My backordered Mushi-shi set from Rightstuf just arrived which completes my order. As a bonus, they added more Rightstuf post-it pads to my "collection".

Now if Funimation releases Battle of the Gods and the DBZ Kai version of Buu, I'll be set for 2014.
I need funimation to release battle of the gods in general so I can watch it :/

In general, dub, sub, don't care... but I can't even remotely stand goku's voice actress in japanese.... goku became a man, don't use the same voice from when he was 10 @_@.

Anyone have issues receiving damaged blu-rays from Amazon? I have heard stories about bent CE's for video games and have never had issues with normal movies in the past but I have had three damaged cases so far from the anime I ordered during the Funimation sale. 

They have been pretty good about replacing them though it is a pain to get a bubble mailer with a broken case in the mail ._.

Anyone have issues receiving damaged blu-rays from Amazon? I have heard stories about bent CE's for video games and have never had issues with normal movies in the past but I have had three damaged cases so far from the anime I ordered during the Funimation sale.

They have been pretty good about replacing them though it is a pain to get a bubble mailer with a broken case in the mail ._.
I'd highly recommend leaving packaging feedback to Amazon for those orders. It's likely your packages are all coming from the same place and they were probably doing rush jobs to make sure all of their packages got out. One of my packages were damaged while in transit after Christmas (although it was two pairs of 3D glasses) and UPS held back the package. After speaking to Amazon, they shipped out new pairs with free one day shipping.

I only have had damaged anime Blus when they had those stupid disc holders in the case and it seemed that one of the hinges would always snap off which made me return a few of my Blus from a few years back. Since then, I haven't had any issues with them.

TL;DR I love Amazon.

I need funimation to release battle of the gods in general so I can watch it :/

In general, dub, sub, don't care... but I can't even remotely stand goku's voice actress in japanese.... goku became a man, don't use the same voice from when he was 10 @_@.
I actually haven't finished DBZ or the movies (saw DB; none of GT). I'm in the middle of the Buu stuff right now with Buu hatching. With Funimation's reputation of having incomplete releases, buying Kai on Blu Ray with the whole series finished is the only way I would do it.

Technically the only incomplete release is the uncut singles. You could say the Blu-rays, though the new Season sets will likely be finished, even if they are widescreen.

I actually haven't finished DBZ or the movies (saw DB; none of GT). I'm in the middle of the Buu stuff right now with Buu hatching. With Funimation's reputation of having incomplete releases, buying Kai on Blu Ray with the whole series finished is the only way I would do it.
I just need the movie... I still have my good old orange bricks that i bought for $20 a pop as they came to walmart that i can watch if I want dbz :p

I will have to get kai at some point, but I will just wait for a complete series release.

That being said... I really don't think it's fair to say funimation has a reputation for incomplete releases... I mean they have a few (d gray man, conan, dbz blu rays, KODOCHA (DAMN YOU FUNI >.>)) but compared to how many they have finished it's not very many at all, and in general they made sense... I mean there is fan service of finishing a series you started, and then there is throwing away money to finish a series no one is buying (poor conan :( ) with tons of eps left (I mean funimation would only need to dub like 600 eps of conan to catch up :p)

If what's broken is the tray holders, they are extremely weak on Blu-ray cases, especially 3-disc cases.
Yeah the tray holder was broken on the Summer Wars I bought and the snaps that held the case closed was broken on my Persona 4 and the whole case was broken on my High School DxD lol

The ones that came together in a box were fine it was mostly just the bubble mailers.

Yeah the tray holder was broken on the Summer Wars I bought and the snaps that held the case closed was broken on my Persona 4 and the whole case was broken on my High School DxD lol

The ones that came together in a box were fine it was mostly just the bubble mailers.
NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You won't be able to see Rias's ass in full glory

HA! I've never watched past the cell games, but i have watched all of the DBZ movies. To me, DBZ ended in the cell games, it had perfect ending. Goku died but he left his legacy to the next generation, and then Trunks went back to his own time to destroy the androids from his time. PERFECT!!!! All that BS of the world Tournament and Buu saga was just to prolong the series.

I just started Dragonball z Kai and was wondering why some of the sets are more expensive than others. Is there some reason for this?

<3 Sena
tumblr_mx0309ZaFo1sftbzpo1_500.gif

HA! I've never watched past the cell games, but i have watched all of the DBZ movies. To me, DBZ ended in the cell games, it had perfect ending. Goku died but he left his legacy to the next generation, and then Trunks went back to his own time to destroy the androids from his time. PERFECT!!!! All that BS of the world Tournament and Buu saga was just to prolong the series.
In all honesty, I really enjoyed the Android/Cell games -- but I always felt DBZ should have ended with the Frieza saga. It was the ultimate conclusion to a phenomenal character arc for Goku. His finally becoming a Super Saiyan was a satisfying way to wrap the series up -- he beat the most feared and remorselessly evil being in the universe, what could really top that? Cell was cool, but both him and the Androids felt kind of like a step down compared to Frieza. Cell's goal of reaching 'perfect form' wasn't nearly as epic as Frieza's ambition to rule the universe. Plus, I hated when everyone became a Super Saiyan, it cheapened Goku's original transformation.

In all honesty, I really enjoyed the Android/Cell games -- but I always felt DBZ should have ended with the Frieza saga. It was the ultimate conclusion to a phenomenal character arc for Goku. His finally becoming a Super Saiyan was a satisfying way to wrap the series up -- he beat the most feared and remorselessly evil being in the universe, what could really top that? Cell was cool, but both him and the Androids felt kind of like a step down compared to Frieza. Cell's goal of reaching 'perfect form' wasn't nearly as epic as Frieza's ambition to rule the universe. Plus, I hated when everyone became a Super Saiyan, it cheapened Goku's original transformation.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

That being said... I really don't think it's fair to say funimation has a reputation for incomplete releases... I mean they have a few (d gray man, conan, dbz blu rays, KODOCHA (DAMN YOU FUNI >.>)) but compared to how many they have finished it's not very many at all, and in general they made sense... I mean there is fan service of finishing a series you started, and then there is throwing away money to finish a series no one is buying (poor conan :( ) with tons of eps left (I mean funimation would only need to dub like 600 eps of conan to catch up :p)
Most of those incomplete series were because of extremely poor sales. Part of it was uninformed fans "rebelling" (due to FUNi not being able to use the first theme song for Kodocha resulting in muted sections of the Japanese track as well as all the crap with Fox over the Conan name), part of it was a long series being released in 3-episode singles, and part of it is anime fans in general having an aversion to long series nowadays. FUNi has even come out publicly and said they will probably no longer pick up any longer series due to all of them not named Fullmetal Alchemist or Dragonball not selling.

And since GinTama and Eyeshield didn't sell, I doubt Sentai will pick up any more, meaning Viz is likely the only company that will pick up a long series anymore.

The problem with longer series (they do have Fairy Tail still) is that they don't intelligently package them for consumption. Similar to DBZ Kai, if they took each season (~ 26 episodes) and sold them for $25 a piece, I think they'd do fine. I want to buy Fairy Tail, but the whole "collection" thing throws me off. There's a continuity here that I want to be able to follow like any other TV show and not making that easy for the consumer to identify makes it harder to sell. Also, boxing the whole damn thing into one giant set (since Fairy Tail had a long break they can do this here) and selling for a modest discount to the individual pieces, would also improve sales. I just think they need to be innovative with their business model and they can do fine with longer series.

I'm just glad FUNimation is releasing the rest of Ikkitousen, after Dragon Destiny went out of print and how long it took FUNimation to acquire the series I never thought I'd get the rest of it.

FUNi has even come out publicly and said they will probably no longer pick up any longer series due to all of them not named Fullmetal Alchemist or Dragonball not selling.
I'm sure they will still try some from time to time... I mean they just picked up toriko (a show I never will buy >.>) not to long ago.

To be fair it seems like longer series are slowly becoming more rare, as they seem to be rushing to make manga into a series anymore. I mean there are still a lot of long running manga out there, but a number of them likely won't see more than the 12-26 eps they have had as an anime because they made a unique anime ending and wasn't popular enough to warrant a fma brotherhood treatment.

It would also help if funimation could pull off some more space dandy deals where they actually get to dub it (and ideally release it) in a timely manor. Usually by the time they start releasing a long series there is already close to a 100 episodes out in japanese. If they can get it released a lot faster more people might be willing to jump on a series as it isn't nearly as intimidating to start a series when there is 30 eps out as it is when there is 100 plus out lol.

I imagine something like d gray man's save seasons would sell better if the series was complete though... I know I haven't picked them up because I won't be able to finish the series.

The problem with longer series (they do have Fairy Tail still) is that they don't intelligently package them for consumption. Similar to DBZ Kai, if they took each season (~ 26 episodes) and sold them for $25 a piece, I think they'd do fine. I want to buy Fairy Tail, but the whole "collection" thing throws me off. There's a continuity here that I want to be able to follow like any other TV show and not making that easy for the consumer to identify makes it harder to sell. Also, boxing the whole damn thing into one giant set (since Fairy Tail had a long break they can do this here) and selling for a modest discount to the individual pieces, would also improve sales. I just think they need to be innovative with their business model and they can do fine with longer series.
FUNi sells them in 12 episode chunks mainly because they can't afford not to. They have to acquire the series, make a dub, and market the series. The middle one is the killer, as it costs a lot of money to dub a series, especially one with a diverse cast like Fairy Tail, so in order to recoup the costs they split the release into chunks so people can buy them easier. Shana is a great example. Season 1 had already been dubbed so all FUNi had to do was acquire the series. Hence, it came out as one big boxset. However, Seasons 2 and 3 needed a new dub so they were split into 2 parts.

It also doesn't help that anime sales are a fraction of what they once were. Top sellers today would be considered middling performers at best a.decade ago.

I imagine something like d gray man's save seasons would sell better if the series was complete though... I know I haven't picked them up because I won't be able to finish the series.
D.Gray-Man was just an overall disaster with Funimation. The dub was all over the place, and then they had "issues" with Dentsu so they just put it on hiatus. I personally love the anime but the 3rd/4th season were way better than the first two seasons. I since just downloaded the rest of the series online and sold my sets. It was probably the 2nd biggest burn I had from Funi since buying the orange boxes.

As for other big series that are still here such as One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, Fairy Tail, etc etc. All of those animes should be in 20-26 episode sets. I think I read a review on ANN every other month for most of these animes and they (the sets) always say they end on cliffhangers because they are all 12-13 episodes. I actually sold all of my Naruto sets and stopped buying Bleach/One Piece for this very reason. 13 episodes only feels like an appetizer for these kind of series... especially if they slip into either a filler arc or a wave of filler episodes for half of the set. It just makes things a little sour when you are trying to collect/enjoy the whole series.

I got a feeling that Viz will never release Bleach/Naruto in bigger sets again, and I'm not sure if I ever want to buy the rest of One Piece due to it being over 600+ episodes. I do actually like Fairy Tail but I hope that Funimation keeps on doing the collections. I refuse to buy the part sets of it for this very reason.

Funimation is still doing Toriko, right?  I wonder how that's selling.

Yeah, the current business model is currently:

Release smaller, half season sets and get the early adopters/big fans

Release discounted, half season sets to get the stragglers

Release discounted full season sets to get the ones who missed out

It'd be nice to skip to the full season sets, but if they did it the price would be higher anyway and people would complain.  It's not like the licensors in Japan are going to give them a massive discount just to get cheap sets out here.  I mean, consider that if a series is long, that means it went a long time in Japan and was pretty popular... those are going to be even more expensive to license.  Also consider that the market for pre 90's anime seems pretty slim, going by the relative dearth of releases outside of Discotek and Maiden Japan.

I did stop buying the Bleach DVDs once they went to these tiny collections.  Also, you come to the realization that a lot of these manga adaptations just have so much filler that you'll be hard pressed to watch it again.  I'm a huge One Piece fan, but I'm not sure I'll ever watch it twice.  Heck, I have YYH on DVD and Blu, and the Dragon Boxes, plus Kai, and I've barely touched them.  But I'll read the manga over and over and over.

I got a feeling that Viz will never release Bleach/Naruto in bigger sets again, and I'm not sure if I ever want to buy the rest of One Piece due to it being over 600+ episodes.
Naruto was the only recent series to really get a price reduced re-release. Unless you wanna count the singles/boxsets for Bleach and Shippuden, but since they were released simultaneously I don't. Bleach has never had a re-release and none of Viz's smaller series (Buso Renkin, Tiger and Bunny, etc.) have a re-release either. Though with InuYasha recently getting a budget re-release and the upcoming Ranma sets, maybe there is hope yet.

Naruto was the only recent series to really get a price reduced re-release. Unless you wanna count the singles/boxsets for Bleach and Shippuden, but since they were released simultaneously I don't. Bleach has never had a re-release and none of Viz's smaller series (Buso Renkin, Tiger and Bunny, etc.) have a re-release either. Though with InuYasha recently getting a budget re-release and the upcoming Ranma sets, maybe there is hope yet.
Yeah, I really don't know what Viz wants to do with either Naruto/Bleach (anime) these days. Both animes have had their time in the sun but the fanbase (I feel) has died down in recent years. I really loved the box sets for the first 3 releases of Bleach, and then as slim cases to DVD cases was when things really started to go down the hole. I don't ever think I've seen any of the Bleach sets (the recent ones) on sale either with the exception of one of them being $20 recently. Although, Naruto and the first few sets of Shippuden have been on sale multiple times.

A part of me hopes that when the DVD release of Bleach is completed that they will make bigger sets of the anime again. God only knows when Shippuden or One Piece will be done, if ever, lol.

I did stop buying the Bleach DVDs once they went to these tiny collections. Also, you come to the realization that a lot of these manga adaptations just have so much filler that you'll be hard pressed to watch it again. I'm a huge One Piece fan, but I'm not sure I'll ever watch it twice. Heck, I have YYH on DVD and Blu, and the Dragon Boxes, plus Kai, and I've barely touched them. But I'll read the manga over and over and over.
see I am using the english release of one piece as an excuse to rewatch it, some releases are sad though as you get to skip like 75% of the eps due to filler :/

I am currently rewatching YYH, and i do a near yearly rewatch of my orange boxes (though I will likely just watch kai if I want to rewatch dbz)

Yeah, I really don't know what Viz wants to do with either Naruto/Bleach (anime) these days. Both animes have had their time in the sun but the fanbase (I feel) has died down in recent years. I really loved the box sets for the first 3 releases of Bleach, and then as slim cases to DVD cases was when things really started to go down the hole. I don't ever think I've seen any of the Bleach sets (the recent ones) on sale either with the exception of one of them being $20 recently. Although, Naruto and the first few sets of Shippuden have been on sale multiple times.

A part of me hopes that when the DVD release of Bleach is completed that they will make bigger sets of the anime again. God only knows when Shippuden or One Piece will be done, if ever, lol.
I am just glad they finally started putting them on 2 discs instead of 3. Means I can put 3 sets in one case instead of 2.

Bleach and Naruto are still selling well enough to get consistent spots on Walmart's shelves. And the Naruto manga is still the best selling print manga.

If you don't mind used, you can get the Bleach sets under $20 via various sites. DVD Planet also has sets 1-9 for $20 and many of the others for $25.

I watched steins gate and finished it. I really want to buy it though. This one been on sale recently? Or chaos head?

Edit: I checked amazon for steins gate but I think it was at $30 or so for each part when I checked. I'm on mobile right now.

I watched steins gate and finished it. I really want to buy it though. This one been on sale recently? Or chaos head?

Edit: I checked amazon for steins gate but I think it was at $30 or so for each part when I checked. I'm on mobile right now.
camelcamelcamel.com says Steins;Gate Part 1 & 2 have been as low as $25.49 each on Amazon, while Rightstuf's 12 days sale had them at $30~$32 each, and sitting at $48 now. The big anime Amazon deal ended Dec 31 I think though.

camelcamelcamel.com says Steins;Gate Part 1 & 2 have been as low as $25.49 each on Amazon, while Rightstuf's 12 days sale had them at $30~$32 each, and sitting at $48 now. The big anime Amazon deal ended Dec 31 I think though.
Thank you for saying the site too. I was trying to find it but I had no idea what it was lol. Best help ever! But damn if only they were $20 :/

Bleh...They quietly removed the MN location on the Evangelion 3.0 US theater list. Now I am back to being pissed about them delaying Blu-ray -.-

I am just glad they finally started putting them on 2 discs instead of 3. Means I can put 3 sets in one case instead of 2.

Bleach and Naruto are still selling well enough to get consistent spots on Walmart's shelves. And the Naruto manga is still the best selling print manga.

If you don't mind used, you can get the Bleach sets under $20 via various sites. DVD Planet also has sets 1-9 for $20 and many of the others for $25.
Dang, I didn't knew DVD Planet had the earlier sets for $20. 10 was the last set I wanted (for now) since it was the final Grimmjow fight. I'll be grabbing that at the end of the month. And what do you mean they are two discs now? Are the sets still 12-13 episodes? Sounds like they are just compressing them down or are using dual layered discs now.

Yea, it's still 13 episodes, but in 2 discs now instead of 3 discs. They started about 2-3 setd ago.

Also, I got my SecondSpin order in, but the Love Hina set...is a bootleg. *facepalm*

My HOTD blu-rays finally had an update. Finally left the shipping facility yesterday, only a state away as of now. Expected delivery date is now 1/14. Might even get here sooner though since it's pretty close. 

My HOTD blu-rays finally had an update. Finally left the shipping facility yesterday, only a state away as of now. Expected delivery date is now 1/14. Might even get here sooner though since it's pretty close.
I loved the show. Coincidentally, I stumbled into a new hole-in-the-wall hobby shop at the local mall yesterday and they had all their manga for over 50% off. Just picked up all the HOTD volumes for $5 each, along with Gundam: The Origin and a Gunsmith Cats manga for half-price. I'm particularly interested in seeing how close the HOTD manga is to the anime.

I miss the 3-4 episode releases. I know spending 20 bucks 6 times is a lot more than 40 for 2 12-13 episodes boxes, but plopping down 40-45 at one time just seems like so much more. I loved the artboxes, and the feel of collecting, and slowly watching a series. Also 20 dollars is about the most I would want to spend on a blind buy.

On the long series issue, I am not a fan as i find these 200-300 episodes show tend to be awful(Except Fairy Tale and Ranma). FullMetal, Rurouni Kenshin, The Slayers got it right you can go 52, 65, even 78 but when you go much longer it becomes pointless, and a chore to watch 300 episodes to catch up with the early adopters. Attack on Titan looks like it will be the perfect 52-78 episodes.

I loved the show. Coincidentally, I stumbled into a new hole-in-the-wall hobby shop at the local mall yesterday and they had all their manga for over 50% off. Just picked up all the HOTD volumes for $5 each, along with Gundam: The Origin and a Gunsmith Cats manga for half-price. I'm particularly interested in seeing how close the HOTD manga is to the anime.
DId you see the hardcover color omnibus Yen Press released for HOTD? I think it's a pretty nice collection.

I'd be happy with some cheap re-releases of some series like Busou Renkin. Maybe the smarter move for them would be to sell digitally on iTunes and similar services and avoid the cost of printing and distributing DVDs.

Wait...people actually LIKE combo packs?

Also, FUNi is the only one who does combo packs. No other anime company does it.

EDIT: I must say, that is some nice cover art for Ranma.
I only bought them when they were cheaper than the standalone packs, Really seems like companies don't care when releasing combo packs, as it's their way of grabbing the most cash with just one SKU. Which I don't mind, but I'd wish some of them would use better packaging(as I've had some with cracked cases and broken hinges) if they're going to do that.

I think Right Stuf was the only one that listed the Ranma BD that way. Every other listing I saw mentioned DVD & BR were in their own box sets with no combo pack(there's no mention in the press release of a combo pack). So it looks like a screw up on their part.

I been hearing about Ramna 1/2 ever since my brother started buying anime since the late 90's and I'm just wondering if the new releases are worth it. Is the series full of filler (like InuYasha eventually was) or is it more of a classic release (like Yu Yu Hakusho) where it follows the manga.

There is a lot of filler, but the series is extremely episodic anyway so it doesn't matter. It's kind of like Sgt. Frog or Detective Conan in that way. Rumiko didn't start doing an actual progressing storyline until InuYasha.

I don't care about the combo packs other than I'm about to give my bud a bunch of DVDs I don't care to keep. So really it's nice for gifting anime to a friend or going in half-half if a friend doesn't have a BD player.

So, I ordered the Love Hina Perfect Collection from SecondSpin. When I got it, I ended up getting a bootleg. I emailed SS and they said they required pictures because they can't guarentee products to be in "mint or near mint condition."

This is what they sent me:

20140110_124138-1.jpg

bread's done
Back