Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Did Toei even release Season 0 on DVD?

And while they aren't releasing them on DVD, GX, 5D's, and Zexal are legally watchable subbed.
I spend my middle school days enjoying only the original series and I never watched the newer series. Are the newer ones based off a manga because I noticed that they have been pumped out pretty quickly since I stopped watching/playing YGO. And now that you mention it, maybe Crunchyroll or some sort of streaming site will license the older series. I wouldn't mind paying to see them that way. :D

As for Toei releasing S0 in Japan, who knows? I browsed Amazon.co.jp and it seems most of the stuff they have now (DVD) are just the newer animes and random DVDs from the original series.

Yu-Gi-Oh aside, I checked out FYE and I can assure you that we little to no used anime on Blu Ray in stock. All we really had was Hellsing but it was a whopping $40 and I already own it. Although, I did find the S.A.V.E version of Shana S2 for only $25. I grabbed that since I got S1 in the mail today via Amazon. Keep in mind that price for Shana S2 could have exclusive to my store, so YMMV.

Anyone remember when the last Rightstuf Viz sale was? I'm referring to when the DVDs and Blu-rays were discounted. I know they had a media sale back in March where the manga was on sale. I've been trying to find out, but for some reason my search just leads to the "media" (manga) sale. As tempted as I am to pull the trigger on the Sailor Moon Blu-ray right now, I know that I'll be able to save about $8 if I wait a bit. Don't really care much for that coin anyway.

Edit: Jeez, I don't think they've had their stuff on sale in a while. I scrolled through Rightstuf's Twitter feed back to September and found nothing.

FYI for those ordering Shakugan no Shana S2 SAVE set. Sites like Amazon might make you think it's like Shangri-La & Shiki's SAVE sets(art box with both parts). But it's just a regular blu-ray case with a SAVE insert instead. So it's like just Cat Planet Cuties release, just in a slightly bigger case(since it's 8 discs).

Speaking of Shiki, if you want the art box SAVE edition, order soon. Apparently Funimation has sent a new print run out and the new batches are all in 1 Blu-ray case too.

Anyone remember when the last Rightstuf Viz sale was? I'm referring to when the DVDs and Blu-rays were discounted.
They actually had one last week, although it was only on select titles(Ranma, Accel World). But last advertised sale I can remember was last October.

Anyone remember when the last Rightstuf Viz sale was? I'm referring to when the DVDs and Blu-rays were discounted. I know they had a media sale back in March where the manga was on sale. I've been trying to find out, but for some reason my search just leads to the "media" (manga) sale. As tempted as I am to pull the trigger on the Sailor Moon Blu-ray right now, I know that I'll be able to save about $8 if I wait a bit. Don't really care much for that coin anyway.

Edit: Jeez, I don't think they've had their stuff on sale in a while. I scrolled through Rightstuf's Twitter feed back to September and found nothing.
If I had to guess, there will be another "in-stock sale"that will work with Viz titles once the set is actually out rather than Viz doing a studio sale (sort of like now with the Ranma BDs)

The set is pretty reasonably price for all of the extras and a whole new dub.

North American anime retailer and licensor Right Stuf announced at its Anime Expo panel on Saturday that it licensed the Yakitate!! Japan television anime, the Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san television anime, and the Suteki Tantei Labyrinth television anime. Right Stufis also licensed the Space Pirate Mito television anime, after it was previously released by Media Blasters.
I can't believe yakitate japan is finally getting licenced... I wonder if against all odds it will have a dub.... I might actually have to break my no dub no buy rule for yakitate :p

anyways source.

yup no dub from their press release

2e0639d2d9.png

Have we heard any more previews of the new dub?
A few hours ago saw the first 2 episodes of it at Anime Expo. I've never been a dub fan but taking it from an open perspective the dub sounded about right. Sailor Moon definitely for me fits perfect and Umino sounds more annoying which I found pretty funny. The only one i didn't really like was Luna. Also to me the dub sounded a little too Americanized in some parts but again that just might be my lack of watching dubbed anime. Also they said that all the boxes are supposed to match and all are supposed to include a specific coin for their release. Oh also fyi the box art is so beautiful, i hope they keep the mock up they showed us cause i love that it isn't cluttered. It's a picture of Sailor Moon on the front and the broach on the back. Each box will have a different scout and a coin to match if you preorder

Nothing from RightStuf includes a new dub. Thy stopped doing that years ago.

I spend my middle school days enjoying only the original series and I never watched the newer series. Are the newer ones based off a manga because I noticed that they have been pumped out pretty quickly since I stopped watching/playing YGO. And now that you mention it, maybe Crunchyroll or some sort of streaming site will license the older series. I wouldn't mind paying to see them that way. :D

As for Toei releasing S0 in Japan, who knows? I browsed Amazon.co.jp and it seems most of the stuff they have now (DVD) are just the newer animes and random DVDs from the original series.
Dunno if Crunchyroll has it, but yugioh.com has a bunch of the episodes subbed, including I believe the current series.

And all the series after the original are Anime First titles. They do have manga counterparts, but they are far different (for example, Judai loses the big tournament and inherited his deck from his dead friend, all of Yusei's friends combine into one character and Jack is the main bad guy) and have unique plotlines.

The original YGO cannot be aired subbed because of a clause in the contract of Shunsuke Kazama which makes it illegal to air any episode with his voice outside of Japan.

Kazama voices Yugi and Atem. You can see the problem.

FYI for those ordering Shakugan no Shana S2 SAVE set. Sites like Amazon might make you think it's like Shangri-La & Shiki's SAVE sets(art box with both parts). But it's just a regular blu-ray case with a SAVE insert instead. So it's like just Cat Planet Cuties release, just in a slightly bigger case(since it's 8 discs).

Speaking of Shiki, if you want the art box SAVE edition, order soon. Apparently Funimation has sent a new print run out and the new batches are all in 1 Blu-ray case too.
So have they been selling any with the LE box at all? (frys had some Shangri-la LE's when it first hit s.a.v.e)

They actually had one last week, although it was only on select titles(Ranma, Accel World). But last advertised sale I can remember was last October.
They only did that when they first released the SAVE editions so they can unload their remaining stock on the LE, but once they've sold out of those they would just sell the actual SAVE editions.

I'm sad Yakitatte Japan isn't going to get a dub, but I may still buy it (though I also have a rule of no dub no buy), because I love that show, and wouldn't mind supporting Nozomi.  Too bad, the dubs they used to do were good.  On the sailor moon note, I approve of most of the dub casting, from what I've been reading on the ANN post of the announcement, especially Cherami Leigh as Minako, and I think Michelle Ruff as Luna has possibilities.  *snort* And Johnny Yong Bosch as Artemis is hilarious, I think he would've been a great Mamoru, but if the unknown is good, no problem there.

I'm sad Yakitatte Japan isn't going to get a dub, but I may still buy it (though I also have a rule of no dub no buy), because I love that show, and wouldn't mind supporting Nozomi. Too bad, the dubs they used to do were good.
It just doesn't really translate very well anyways with all the Japan puns in the show if it were dubbed.

It just doesn't really translate very well anyways with all the Japan puns in the show if it were dubbed.
They could have come up with new puns that were more understandable, or went extra goofy making the original puns work.

to be fair... if they don't have on screen text explaining the puns like the subtitiled episodes I have seen already it really won't be worth owning... half the puns in the series are way to hard for someone who doesn't speak japanese to remotely get without explanation. Heck.... even with explanation I didn't always get them :p

I am assuming they will still be DVD only releases?

Also, anyone know any small anime shops that have an online store? Looking for some OOP Funimation LE sets.

NISA announced Nyaruko S2 (coming out in November) and Hanasaku Iroha Movie (coming out in October)

Funimation announced Railgun and Index are coming out on Bluray this Fall/Winter. They also got the Index Movie

(The Miracle of Endymion)

Fresh from Anime Expo®, we have acquired the streaming and home video rights to:
Psycho-Pass Extended Edition
Sengoku Basara Judge End
Barakamon
and Black Butler Book of Circus

We have also acquired rights for Psycho-Pass Season 2, and the Psycho-Pass movie!

Click here for more info: http://funi.to/1qYMhq8
Nice pickups for Funi.

I'm really loving these Funi pick ups for this season.

That said, there are 12 unlicensed shows now for this season  - Bakumatsu Rock, Dramatical Murder, Fate/kaleid S2, Futsuu no Joshikousei ga [Locodol] Yatte Mita, Hanayamata, Jinsei, Love Stage!, Majimoji Rurumo, Momo Kyun Sword, Nobunaga Concerto, Pri Para, Re:Hamatora, Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance, and Tokyo ESP.

Fully expecting for Sentai to pick up Fate/Kaleid S2 since they piked up the first season.

And I can see Love Stage as a future rightstuf license down the line possibly.

I do hope somebod picks up Dramatical Murder and Tokyo ESP down the lne, as they both look iteresting.

Looking over the dub cast, I pretty much struck put across the board. Like most of the picks, though I am anxious to hear Tuxedo Mask since his VA is a rookie. Not too sure about Todd Haberkorn as Jadeite though.

I'm sorry, but I've seen enough dub animes where they made the hard to translate japanese puns work, that I could see them making it work, if they wanted to.  But, Nozomi hasn't done a dub in who knows how long, so I didn't expect one, anyway, but I can always hope.

They could have come up with new puns that were more understandable, or went extra goofy making the original puns work.

to be fair... if they don't have on screen text explaining the puns like the subtitiled episodes I have seen already it really won't be worth owning... half the puns in the series are way to hard for someone who doesn't speak japanese to remotely get without explanation. Heck.... even with explanation I didn't always get them :p
They'd still have to explain it anyways, but it just doesn't dub over is what I meant, and that's the one pun that just gets used repeatedly throughout the whole series, so it'd be difficult to have a dubbing for it. It all needs explanations regardless, but what would they use to replace that specific pun with in the dub that would actually make sense, and keep the joke?

I'm sorry, but I've seen enough dub animes where they made the hard to translate japanese puns work, that I could see them making it work, if they wanted to. But, Nozomi hasn't done a dub in who knows how long, so I didn't expect one, anyway, but I can always hope.
I still can't imagine how they would do it for this one though. I've also seen some great dubs, but this one is so heavily invested in that one specific pun throughout the whole series it seems impractical, and to me might take away a lot from the show.

I can't really get excited over these Funi pickups. I mean Psycho Pass season 2 was a given and I don't care for Black Butler but that's nice for the fans. I do hope they have the home rights for Terror in Resonance since they have the streaming rights.

I still can't imagine how they would do it for this one though. I've also seen some great dubs, but this one is so heavily invested in that one specific dubbing throughout the whole series it seems impractical, and to me might take away a lot from the show.
Did you watch Kodocha's dub, because that show had a bunch of weird Japanese references that an american audience would never get, and I seem to remember there being a lot of puns, too. I'm not saying it wouldn't be difficult, I'm just saying it's doable.

Looking over the dub cast, I pretty much struck put across the board. Like most of the picks, though I am anxious to hear Tuxedo Mask since his VA is a rookie. Not too sure about Todd Haberkorn as Jadeite though.
Johnny Yong Bosch as Artemis. Hahaha. Overall, I'm anxious to hear the dub now.

Shiki f.y.e

joeriggsbee

I just wanted to give everybody a heads up i just found the shiki blu ray set with chip board box at f.y.e. for $17.99 brand new , i dont know if this is for any other fye's but just thought id tell everybody.
I can confirm that the slipbox is ringing up $17.99. Get it before they change it guys if your interested.

Did you watch Kodocha's dub, because that show had a bunch of weird Japanese references that an american audience would never get, and I seem to remember there being a lot of puns, too. I'm not saying it wouldn't be difficult, I'm just saying it's doable.
Not the same though.

How long ago since you last watched Yakitate, because it's pretty dependent on that one pun that won't translate to spoken English, unless they drastically change it, and it won't make sense after that.

Destinys Memory

Text FYE to 33733. You'll get two messages, one of them contains a coupon link. Wait until you are in the store to redeem it. The coupon is only valid for 30 minutes after you click the 'Redeem' link.
michaeljoo

20% F.Y.E. Coupon code: USA20

7/4/14 - 7/6/14
Here is some more ways to save as well.

I am glad I held off picking up Index and Railgun. I am interested in the series but have been holding off for blu-ray. I did end up picking up Future Diary on dvd awhile back but if it does get released on BD I wouldn't mind double-dipping.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention it but all S.A.V.E. sets at FYE and Suncoast are either $12.99 or $17.99.
Dang...wish I would have know that. Would have picked up a few of the DVD sets.

Still need to get Moon Phase, Bamboo Blade, My Bride is a Mermaid, and Kaze no Stigma.

I am glad I held off picking up Index and Railgun. I am interested in the series but have been holding off for blu-ray. I did end up picking up Future Diary on dvd awhile back but if it does get released on BD I wouldn't mind double-dipping.
Is Rail Gun coming to blu? If so I'll be pissed....love that show.

God dang it found it.

A Certain Magical Index and A Certain Scientific Railgun series are coming to Blu-ray! You can expect A Certain Magical Index (Season 1) on Blu-ray/DVD Combo in late fall, and A Certain Scientific Railgun (Season 1) in winter. Not only that, but A Certain Magical Index II, Part One will be released on Blu-ray/DVD Combo this October. Part Two and the movie, The Miracle of Endymion, will be releasing in late fall/early winter respectively.

FUNimation has picked up simulcast and home video rights for the PSYCHO-PASS Extended Edition, and it will be joining their summer 20014 season. First episode will launch on Thursday 7/10 at 12:40pm CT and will stream weekly at Thursdays at 12:20pm CT. They’ve also picked up the rights to the second season and the movie.

FUNimation has acquired the simulcast and home video rights for Sengoku Basara: Judge End! The series will stream on our site Saturdays at 12:05pm CT.

They’ve acquired the simulcast and home video rights for Black Butler: Book of Circus! The first episode will launch on Thursday, July 10th at 2:50pm CT and will then stream weekly on Thursdays at 2:20pm CT.

Dang...wish I would have know that. Would have picked up a few of the DVD sets.
Still need to get Moon Phase, Bamboo Blade, My Bride is a Mermaid, and Kaze no Stigma.
I think this is FYE's typical "50% off S.A.V.E. sets" sale except not...actually...50% off.

But yea, they will likely be at these prices for a few weeks.

Looks like RS is shipping Short Piece early. From br.com.
And yes that is a slipcover. ;) I believe that is Sentai's first blu ray slip. Please God let it be the last one. haha

Came in today from rightstuf today - exactly one month early..

20140705_211442_zps40c4dcf8.jpg

20140705_211508_zpsd4f7ba38.jpg

20140705_211548_zpsd3b642ab.jpg

Not the same though.

How long ago since you last watched Yakitate, because it's pretty dependent on that one pun that won't translate to spoken English, unless they drastically change it, and it won't make sense after that.
I rewatched yakitate like 3 months ago... still was awesome... and the name pun would have to stay you would just need to explain that pan is bread in japan :p

Every time I see croissants, I go "Kurowa-san." Have fun translating that...

And I randomly think squirrels and chestnuts randomly, but that's a different story.

And of fucking course Magical Index gets a Bluray announcement the day after I buy it. Of fucking course.

I rewatched yakitate like 3 months ago... still was awesome... and the name pun would have to stay you would just need to explain that pan is bread in japan :p
Yeah, but he can't just say the pan, it'll have to be "Ja Pan!", and that will be a lot more difficult as he refers to every bread he makes as "Ja Pan!". It's not just the pan part that doesn't translate well, but it's the two parts together signifying the bread that worries me in a dub translation. If anything they'll have to explain that "Ja Pan!" will represent the bread for the rest of the series, but then it'll get confusing when they talk about Japan, and lots of other Japan stuff. Then it'll just get confusing when to differentiate "Ja Pan!" and Japan throughout the whole series, and it's a long ass series, so not like it doesn't show up at all after awhile. I guess fans of it might be able to make more sense of it if there were a dub, but for people who have never seen the show it won't be the same if it were translated as a dub. But yeah, if it was just the pan part it wouldn't be a huge issue, but the not just that part that makes the joke work.

Yeah, but he can't just say the pan, it'll have to be "Ja Pan!", and that will be a lot more difficult as he refers to every bread he makes as "Ja Pan!". It's not just the pan part that doesn't translate well, but it's the two parts together signifying the bread that worries me in a dub translation. If anything they'll have to explain that "Ja Pan!" will represent the bread for the rest of the series, but then it'll get confusing when they talk about Japan, and lots of other Japan stuff. Then it'll just get confusing when to differentiate "Ja Pan!" and Japan throughout the whole series, and it's a long ass series, so not like it doesn't show up at all after awhile. I guess fans of it might be able to make more sense of it if there were a dub, but for people who have never seen the show it won't be the same if it were translated as a dub. But yeah, if it was just the pan part it wouldn't be a huge issue, but the not just that part that makes the joke work.
Either way it's not getting a dub, and I just have to wait and see if there will be good extra info for the release.... something like ... i think it was PaniPoni Dash! that had a subtitle setting that translated and explained absolutely everything that ever showed up on screen lol.

Either way it's not getting a dub, and I just have to wait and see if there will be good extra info for the release.... something like ... i think it was PaniPoni Dash! that had a subtitle setting that translated and explained absolutely everything that ever showed up on screen lol.
Indeed.

Sometimes the whole screen is just text, lol.

ADV did that with their releases. Excel Saga was one those that had that. Now a show that would desperate need those is Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei,but Media Blasters killed any chance of that getting a release.

ADV did that with their releases. Excel Saga was one those that had that. Now a show that would desperate need those is Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei,but Media Blasters killed any chance of that getting a release.
I remember reading the manga and going -read read stop... read stop ... read read read- :)

I'm pretty pissed off about the Railgun blu ray announcement not being made until after season 2 pt.1 was released. I realize it was intentional to avoid hurting sales, but it shows a real lack of thought about their customers. It only makes it worse that they're going to release Index season 2 on blu right away but not Railgun. Oh well, it's not like I can choose to stop buying shows from them.

I watched the Jojo Stardust Crusaders dub last night (via Crunchyroll) and it was surprisingly good. Would've liked to hear a WRYYYYYY or two but at least Dio had a few lines (I know the WRY comes later =/ ). From the three episodes they streamed, it seems that they did a really good job with casting. Hell, even Matthew Mercer shocked me with his performance of Jotaro. Peter Epcar also nailed Joseph but knowing how all of lines are in caps lock (it's the way his character is), I think he nailed down his personality perfectly. My only question is, who the hell is licensing the dub? Crunchyroll? Viz? My friend and I couldn't figure out on who has licensed the dub.

I also checked out the new Sailor Moon anime, and it sure looks a whole like cleaner and prettier than before. I've never been a Sailor Moon fan, but at least it's getting the reboot the fans have been wanting for years. I didn't bother with SAO II since the original series was pretty bleh to begin with.

A Certain Magical Index/Railgun going to Blu wasn't a shocker. I knew that would happen sooner or later which is why I never picked them up on DVD. DVD is really going the way of the dinosaur (sorry DVD lovers), and since it aired in HD, I knew not to touch those releases. 

Anime aside, if you all remember Crisis Heart Brawlers: Clash at Otakon, the game has had the Otakon IP taken away from it due to Studio Nasu being AWOL for over a year now. We were discussing the game's fate for a few months on the Otakon forums since some backers were concerned. It seems that in October the site went down, and then the social networking pages for Studio Nasu and their president went completely dark. 

Otakorp hasn't really released any details of what actually happened yet, but since they quietly made the announcement during AX, my guess is that they were trying to make the announcement as quiet as possible.

bread's done
Back